Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

**Post-Millwall Arrangements | Leaving The Ground | Please Read**

Comments

• I'd imagine the helicopter was up more for crowd congestion that anything.
  • To let 10,000 fans go over the level crossing at the same time would have been madness and someone would have chanced their luck and ended up under a train, what they done in my opinion was to just slow the traffic, wait another 20 mins and you could of gone whichever way you wanted. How many took up the chance to have a pint in the North lower? What else could the club have done? And I don't believe we are the only club this has happened to, what if some palace fans wanted to get the train at Norwood junction the day we were all sent there? They would have had to go a different way round. It was so blatantly obvious that all they had to do was keep the millwall fans in for 30 mins but how much would that have cost the club! I can't believe that it was that important to have a helicoptor overhead either

Although, there may have been a slight possibility of someone getting hurt crossing over the level crossing, it would be highly unlikely.

The crossing is a manned crossing, controlled by the man there in his crossing box. The barriers are controlled by him and no train will cross until he sends a signal to the signalbox. So until the barriers are fully lowered and locked, the only danger anyone is in would be to walk onto the track and touch the conductor rail. Several Transport Police would have managed to prevent that happening.
  • Slater wasn't slow with the letters to season ticket holders when he first became involved with the club. Pleading for our support, promising things will improve and their commitment to youth etc etc.

Now there is nothing. And the fact that the attempts of posters on this site to communicate with the club have fallen on seemingly deaf ears is a real worry.

I have no real issues on the playing front. I do believe that our players, on the whole, give their all. We would not have the away form we do if that were the case. Our home form now is based on psychology rather than ability. However, in saying that we must all accept that we are a relatively weak squad in this league and will perform as such.

This club only survived because of the fans and the effort and commitment of the Charlton supporting staff. We were 'one', and united. The spiral we went into a few years ago tested many of us and the subsequent recovery was down to the inspired appointment of Powell.

As a usually half glass full type of person the fact that I'm worried worries me (if that makes sense?). Those running the club are in serious danger of alienating the more loyal, realistic and accepting fans, while the nastier element seems to be gaining momentum.

I hope this is addressed. Soon.

• cafckev said:

To let 10,000 fans go over the level crossing at the same time would have been madness and someone would have chanced their luck and ended up under a train, what they done in my opinion was to just slow the traffic, wait another 20 mins and you could of gone whichever way you wanted. How many took up the chance to have a pint in the North lower? What else could the club have done? And I don't believe we are the only club this has happened to, what if some palace fans wanted to get the train at Norwood junction the day we were all sent there? They would have had to go a different way round. It was so blatantly obvious that all they had to do was keep the millwall fans in for 30 mins but how much would that have cost the club! I can't believe that it was that important to have a helicoptor overhead either

Although, there may have been a slight possibility of someone getting hurt crossing over the level crossing, it would be highly unlikely.

The crossing is a manned crossing, controlled by the man there in his crossing box. The barriers are controlled by him and no train will cross until he sends a signal to the signalbox. So until the barriers are fully lowered and locked, the only danger anyone is in would be to walk onto the track and touch the conductor rail. Several Transport Police would have managed to prevent that happening.
    Fair enough about the gates but there was two OB there, and was you in the walk to norwood junction with 3000 fans? Surely 10,000 trying to get round to station asap would have been a bit more of a squeeze! I'm only suggesting they stopped people coming down past the oak just to slow things so the situation couldn't arise
  • Yes, I was in the Palace crowd, and went a long way in the wrong direction because the Police sent me that way, but this is/was different.

We were not an angry crowd at an away game. We were the home fans in an area we all know very well. How many people cross the crossing before and after every home game? Granted, not as many as it would have been but still all they wanted to do was to go home. The Police could have used the twenty or so used to block the roads to stand across the track or even used a funnelling system to reduce the flow.

There are many ways to control a crowd, but it would seem they used the easiest option for them regardless of the problems it would cause us!
  • Kev, Im not having a go, put yourself in their shoes, regardless of what team you follow, would you go for the easiest option?
  • We were a slightly pissed off crowd at a home game though!
  • Kev, Im not having a go, put yourself in their shoes, regardless of what team you follow, would you go for the easiest option?

Yes, i know that and can understand what you are saying

• To let 10,000 fans go over the level crossing at the same time would have been madness and someone would have chanced their luck and ended up under a train, what they done in my opinion was to just slow the traffic, wait another 20 mins and you could of gone whichever way you wanted. How many took up the chance to have a pint in the North lower? What else could the club have done? And I don't believe we are the only club this has happened to, what if some palace fans wanted to get the train at Norwood junction the day we were all sent there? They would have had to go a different way round. It was so blatantly obvious that all they had to do was keep the millwall fans in for 30 mins but how much would that have cost the club! I can't believe that it was that important to have a helicoptor overhead either

Not everyone was going that way, but by blocking it makes it equally as dangerous by forcing people up Charlton Lane.

• It had nothing to do with the safety at the level crossing the OB ain't that intelligent you are giving them far more credit than they deserve
  • Sponsored links:

• the two OB at the crossing were Transport Police, when we did the detour past Charlton Lane and turned left back to the crossing I asked the Male Officer the reason for closing Charlton Lane at the junction of Harvey Gardens, he replied that he wasnt Met and 'it is nothing to do with us', but had been told the reason was because some Charlton fans had been 'playing up'
  • But the point is we were not told that the route to the crossing would be closed.
  • Dansk_Red said:

But the point is we were not told that the route to the crossing would be closed.

Taken from the OS.

All home fans wishing to immediately head home will therefore exit via Harvey Gardens and turn right towards Charlton Lane.

So did the club leave the bit about it being closed off?

Also taken from OS.

this would have meant that Millwall supporters would have missed the additional train services running into London from Charlton after the game, and it would not have been possible to reschedule the trains to run later.

There was one extra train that left Charlton at 42 mins past two, not sure how this becomes service(s).
  • A word of warning re Brighton. Chatting to a Palace fan this morning and he said Palace were let out at Brighton and then kettled for 15 minutes before being let go.
  • iaitch said:

A word of warning re Brighton. Chatting to a Palace fan this morning and he said Palace were let out at Brighton and then kettled for 15 minutes before being let go.

We're not rivals with Brighton though, Palace are.

• Nothing to do with Saturday's farce but an insight into the OB organisation at our games. Last game of last season we all stayed behind to join in the champions celebrations. I think it was about an hour later that I left the ground and walked along Valley Grove. I started chatting to a few disgruntled Smurfs who told me that the OB had kept them behind until we had all left the stadium. Unreal! They had a good 45 minutes to let their buses depart back on the long trek to Hartlepool. Felt sorry for them as they are a decent bunch.
  • Not being a crowd control expert, but think the police barracade should have been at the bottom of Charlton Lane at the junction of Pound Park Road, thus allowing fans who parked to the east/south to go up Coxmount Rd and disperse. this would have relieved any pressure at the crossing and the problems at the top of Harvey Gardens. They could even allowed the Oak to be opened, as only charlton fans would have access.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Not being a crowd control expert, but think the police barracade should have been at the bottom of Charlton Lane at the junction of Pound Park Road, thus allowing fans who parked to the east/south to go up Coxmount Rd and disperse. this would have relieved any pressure at the crossing and the problems at the top of Harvey Gardens. They could even allowed the Oak to be opened, as only charlton fans would have access.

Very good point.
  • Christ Ken it was the old bill not the club, the only thing the club is guilty of is the statement.

The club agreed this with the police....... wether it was demanded or proposed I do not know, but it was agreed at short notice, and all fans like myself did was go the way we were told.
    I notice no apology on the site as yet, and Mick Everett is not in today.
    Really cannot see having an agreed discussion and then the police failing to carry out the arrangements.
    The fact that I had to walk the opposite way to where I had parked, and circumnavigate half of lower Charlton is not really the issue. I am able to do this, what about your fellow fans who are older and disabled, as written on this very site. Appeasing Millwall fan's is not a priority, at least to me which I feel the club needs to explain, or at least clarify?. By the way no one around to give a statement this morning?.....

• Nothing on the OS is just rubbing salt into the wounds. They really are a bunch of PR geniuses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ken it was not short notice at all it was determined weeks ago

The announcement by the club was ridiculously late in coming and not worded correctly

The police made the decision the club had to roll with it regardless
  • People knew about what was happening weeks and weeks ago, it wasn't short notice at all. The only thing that was short notice about it was the club communicating it to us.
  • Plaaayer said:

People knew about what was happening weeks and weeks ago, it wasn't short notice at all. The only thing that was short notice about it was the club communicating it to us.

And there lies the problem. Lack of communication with your customers.
  • Ken it was not short notice at all it was determined weeks ago

The announcement by the club was ridiculously late in coming and not worded correctly

The police made the decision the club had to roll with it regardless

Which is why I have asked for a response from Mick as to the background of this affair , and what happens in the future, for all Charlton fans. It will not be today as he is not in on Mondays. I await his response with interest. I am fully aware that the police have the control/management over this having discussed this with the club and the Supporters Federation myself "weeks ago' se: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/hull-city-fans-reject-polices-shabby-compromise

• I have recieved an e-mail from Matt Wright after I sent an e-mail regarding the contacts page on the O/S. The page has now been updated. I can not see anyone getting a response from the club for a couple of days, as they rightly want a considered response, rather than knee jerk one.
  • I didnt have a problem left ground at final whistle got back to golf club nice and early had a few beers took shite from the spanners apart from result not a bad day,cant see wot all the fuss is about.
  • Well for those that do not know me I am Mick Everett's son. I have spoken to my Dad about the 'Operation' at the weekend. Obviously he cannot comment officially at present but he invites anyone to contact him with any complaints you may have about being inconvenienced at the weekend by email at the club. He has had quite a few messages many of them abusive so thanks for that, try to be a little more diplomatic than calling him a spineless c*** if you wish a considered response.

I am not going to be drawn into a debate but a few facts should be aired. It was Scotland Yard not local police running the show on saturday, they actually wanted to have a line of police horses and dogs up floyd road and everyone released together at the same time as they felt they would be able to handle it. Keeping the Millwall fans in was not even an option, so my Dad felt rather than a blood bath which it would of been without a doubt had this been allowed, the next best thing was to not let the two sets of fans converge. He accepts full responsibilty for the decision and it has obviously upset an awful lot of people.

To throw my small opinion for what it's worth we were inconvenienced for one game, would you of rather been having it toe to toe with a load of them idiots instead which is what would of happened if the police had their way? In 99% of cases I guess you would not, so is it really that big a deal.

As for some of the conspiracy theories about it being a marketing opportunity to sell more beer...really have a word with yourselves that is embarrassing.

That's all I am posting. Keep the faith

Ketters
  • Why was holding Millwall in not an option? Not having a pop, but it is considered every where else in the country.
  • the club want it all ways clem
  • Why was holding Millwall in not an option? Not having a pop, but it is considered every where else in the country.

Exactly, that's the bit I don't get.

Fair play for the post Ketman, well explained on everything else.