Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Adkins

Comments

• Options
    Apparantly Adkins left this message for the players.

• Options
    Great message .... But Southampton will go down now ... Fans and management split... Toxic atmosphere and booing within 4 games .... Appalling decision and bringing in a Spanish weirdo who's rubbish isn't gonna cut it ....
  • Options
    Booing first game. I'm sure they'll let Cortese know what they think.
    New fella's obviously been lined up for a while, so fingers crossed they fail big time. Disappoints me - one less relegation place for Pardew...
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

Great message .... But Southampton will go down now ... Fans and management split... Toxic atmosphere and booing within 4 games .... Appalling decision and bringing in a Spanish weirdo who's rubbish isn't gonna cut it ....

Bookies have Soton as 6/4 for relegation.
    Villa are odds on !!

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation
  • Options
    Simon, the lovely bloke who lives two doors from me and a Saints fan, first thing he said to me this morning was 'I just feel like giving up on them'!
    You what?
    I said 'But you're stuck with your team, what can you do?'
    Cue the thousand yard gaze.
    He is shocked and bewildered and thinks it is wrong.
    He said that Adkins should have had a ten year contract, and be kept even with relegation.
    Sounds familiar?
    Simon also snorted at the idea of 'for the long term'. He says they'll never be a Chelski or a Man City, that they're already close to their long term ambitions with regard to league placings now, what can any new bloke do any better?
    I could tell he doesn't want Saints relegated, understand that, but I don't think he cares as much as he did...a good example of a fan being sort of exploited spiritually, a feeling we all know.
    I felt for him, and resolved to update myself on the Charlton Trust situation.
  • Options
    Said on SSN earlier that the entire backroom staff have gone as well. Going to be a serious job for the new man to win over that dressing room.............especially as he'll have to communicate with them via an interpreter.
  • Options
    I like this quote from Saintsweb. Comparing owners to kids playing a video game is probably about right these days.

'Pathetic timing. I really hate football these days... just a rich mans play thing. Its ****wits playing championship manager for real.'
  • Options

I like this quote from Saintsweb. Comparing owners to kids playing a video game is probably about right these days.

'Pathetic timing. I really hate football these days... just a rich mans play thing. Its ****wits playing championship manager for real.'

True that.
  • Options
    bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21084201

Good article about the new man in charge.
  • Options

At Espanyol:

'fans directed their anger firmly towards the board rather than Pochettino'.

'Fans preferred to respect Pochettino for the achievements earlier in his reign and during his time as a central defender for the club'.

I can't see the Southampton fans behaving in the same manner. It sounds to me like this guy was loved by Espanyol fans (as Southampton fans love Adkins!) and will be totally unloved by Southampton fans. Has he got what it takes to cope? This depends on his command of English (Pochettino speaks barely any English and conducted his 24-minute Press conference through an interpreter). because without this any form of relationship building with the fans will be impossible unless he wins virtually every game from now to the end of the season. This in turn is extremely unlikely given that he will have the same problem with the players! He's on a hiding to nothing this bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At Espanyol:

'fans directed their anger firmly towards the board rather than Pochettino'.

'Fans preferred to respect Pochettino for the achievements earlier in his reign and during his time as a central defender for the club'.

I can't see the Southampton fans behaving in the same manner. It sounds to me like this guy was loved by Espanyol fans (as Southampton fans love Adkins!) and will be totally unloved by Southampton fans. Has he got what it takes to cope? This depends on his command of English (Pochettino speaks barely any English and conducted his 24-minute Press conference through an interpreter). because without this any form of relationship building with the fans will be impossible unless he wins virtually every game from now to the end of the season. This in turn is extremely unlikely given that he will have the same problem with the players! He's on a hiding to nothing this bloke.
    They never should of sacked Adkins but the new guy seems like a good bet if they give him chance, the sort fo manager we need more of in this country IMO.
  • Options
    A journalist said they were something like the top five spenders in football last summer. If someone wants to spend mental money then fine, they have a right to choose managers. Doesn't mean it makes any sense. I'd hate it if it was my club, but if Powell were to go Adkins would be top of my list.

His Scunny team was so well organised and marvellously committed at covering, pressing and helping each other it was an embarrassment to watch Pardew's team the time. Was a surprise to me in the Prem, that Soton started with such a lack or pressure on ball in the central areas. He seems to have sorted that with Cork coming back, but to let him go at the close of the transfer window regardless of form???????WTF
  • Options
    The thing is Colin, as I said earlier, this jerk Cortese hasn't put any money in. He' s spending money left in trust by Marcus Liebherr on his death.
  • Options
    Gretna you'd like to see more managers who can't speak english?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I like to see more modern style managers, so im pleased to see him get a chance just a shame it is for Adkins who is one of the modern type of managers himself, personally think it will make english football a much better game for it, i don't really care where he is from or what language he speaks, as it's 2013.

• Options
    Should add by that i mean, it will slowly become the norm in english football which will make it the english way of playing & then suddenly we have a hope of matching teams like Argentina/Brazil/Italy/Germany/Spain for winning trophies at an international stage.

• Options

Croydon said:

I like to see more modern style managers, so im pleased to see him get a chance just a shame it is for Adkins who is one of the modern type of managers himself, personally think it will make english football a much better game for it, i don't really care where he is from or what language he speaks, as it's 2013.

More diving, more playacting. Hmmmmm

• Options
    edited January 2013

Croydon said:

Not sure how modern means cheating, unless we are falling in to that delusion of nostalgia? or if you mean because he is foreign which is another tiring BS argument IMO.

I want to see England win a Trophy sometime in the next 20/30/40 years ideally, if we stick to the so called "english" way adopted by many of the old timers, it will lead to nothing, as more and more english managers are realising for themselves.

• Options
    Madness of football and the suprises it throws up Southampton will go on a 5 game win streak and the new man will win MOTM.
  • Options
    Keep looking to improve = make sure you put in a transfer request.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Croydon said:

Not sure how modern means cheating, unless we are falling in to that delusion of nostalgia? or if you mean because he is foreign which is another tiring BS argument IMO.

I want to see England win a Trophy sometime in the next 20/30/40 years ideally, if we stick to the so called "english" way adopted by many of the old timers, it will lead to nothing, as more and more english managers are realising for themselves.

Not sure who is being delusional here.
    1) Foreign leagues are rife with playacting.
    2) The attraction of British football has always been the speed and power on show. Do we really want to watch football of the style played in South America and Spain?
    3) British players are technically inferior, but thats an issue for coaching at a younger level.
    4) The foreign manager is best myth is probably the worst thing that has happened to our game in the past couple of decades. Now English managers are way short on the ground. Doesn't really help the national game unless you want us to continue the experiment of Capello and Erickson?
    5) Maybe Adkins would end up winning us a trophy in the future. I'm willing to bet large that the ex Argentinian defender won't.

I can't believe you are happy with this decision and are trying to defend it.

• Options

Croydon said:

Not sure who is being delusional here.
    1) Foreign leagues are rife with playacting.
    2) The attraction of British football has always been the speed and power on show. Do we really want to watch football of the style played in South America and Spain?
    3) British players are technically inferior, but thats an issue for coaching at a younger level.
    4) The foreign manager is best myth is probably the worst thing that has happened to our game in the past couple of decades. Now English managers are way short on the ground. Doesn't really help the national game unless you want us to continue the experiment of Capello and Erickson?
    5) Maybe Adkins would end up winning us a trophy in the future. I'm willing to bet large that the ex Argentinian defender won't.

I can't believe you are happy with this decision and are trying to defend it.

What's poor old Large got to do with it?

He might not want to bet with you!

:-)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If you can find at any point that i defended the decision to sack Adkins or to choose foreign coaches over british one's, please point it out?

There are plenty of english managers like Adkins who have the right way for us to develop our football at home and an international level, but if a few foreign coaches have to do it for us to, then i don't care. (best man for the job, is more important then nationality)

Oh and yes i would love for english football to be similar to south american football on the pitch.

Your posts come across as old fashioned xenophobia of foreign football and the fact you use the best manager England has had in the last 15 years(eriksson) as an example of something that is wrong is very strange IMO.(not that im saying he was great)

I personally want to see english football evolve to the next level.

• Options

Croydon said:

It won't make English football any better if Pochettino comes in, phases out the English lads and buys half a dozen Argies and Spaniards though will it?
  • Options

Croydon said:

It won't make English football any better if Pochettino comes in, phases out the English lads and buys half a dozen Argies and Spaniards though will it?
    That statement is based on nothing and potential things that have not happened yet & most likely will never happen, especially with him, if you did even a minor part of research about the man.

Im not aware of any foreign manager who has come in and said im not playing that player because he is english, if the traditional english way of coaching has created inferior players then that is not his fault.

I don't want English football to lose it's identity i just want it to evolve and adapt, realise that other countries do things right that we can learn from but not copy every part of, so that in 40 years time, when im in my late 60s, im not still listening to the same old tired moans and excuses from English football fans.

I welcome Pochettino to english football, i just wish it could of been for someone else and not Adkins, who actually is a modern manager, who im sure will rise back up to the Premiership.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    GGA
    I see where you are coming from, and have a lot of sympathy for your general point that we must not be insular, and should learn from other countries. But I don't think it's right to assume that a few foreign managers on their own can fix English football, because the problems go deeper than that.

The Germans in 2000 realized that their game was in deep shit. They were struggling in the international tournaments and had been beaten 5-1 at home by England. But they didn't obsess about it being England. They took a good long look at themselves and began a 10 year root and branch reform of German football. It involved mandatory academies at every club, a huge increase in the number of qualified coaches ( I think now they have 8 times as many as we have) and ensuring that the TV money was fairly shared out among clubs in the top two divisions. Nobody worried about the nationality of the managers. They were German then, and they are German today, but look at German football, and the number of terrifyingly good young players its producing. Not to mention the Bundesliga crowds.

Now my point is that this hasn't happened here and it won't, for this reason. The whole initiative was led by the DFB, the German equivalent of the FA. that won't and can't happen here because the FA surrendered .leadership of the game back in 1990 to the Premier League, which looks after the interests of its members, and mainly the top 6-7.
    So a few foreign managers isn't going to change the whole of English football. Especially one who finished bottom of La Liga and can't speak a word of English.
  • Options

Croydon said:

Zola & Watford ring any bells ?

• Options

GGA
    I see where you are coming from, and have a lot of sympathy for your general point that we must not be insular, and should learn from other countries. But I don't think it's right to assume that a few foreign managers on their own can fix English football, because the problems go deeper than that.

The Germans in 2000 realized that their game was in deep shit. They were struggling in the international tournaments and had been beaten 5-1 at home by England. But they didn't obsess about it being England. They took a good long look at themselves and began a 10 year root and branch reform of German football. It involved mandatory academies at every club, a huge increase in the number of qualified coaches ( I think now they have 8 times as many as we have) and ensuring that the TV money was fairly shared out among clubs in the top two divisions. Nobody worried about the nationality of the managers. They were German then, and they are German today, but look at German football, and the number of terrifyingly good young players its producing. Not to mention the Bundesliga crowds.

Now my point is that this hasn't happened here and it won't, for this reason. The whole initiative was led by the DFB, the German equivalent of the FA. that won't and can't happen here because the FA surrendered .leadership of the game back in 1990 to the Premier League, which looks after the interests of its members, and mainly the top 6-7.
    So a few foreign managers isn't going to change the whole of English football. Especially one who finished bottom of La Liga and can't speak a word of English.

Cheers, thanks for the extra info, even if i did already no that situation, im not saying a few foreign managers will change things, im looking for that ideal situation where the good & modern foreign managers like Pochettino come in, to replace the old fashioned english managers & blend the english way with new ways of doing things, to change english football with the english managers who can adapt or are already doing things that way.

The Zaha situation summarises my frustration, if he goes to Man Utd, it will be another english talent wasted learning Fergie's win at all costs philosophy, sure he will be a great player for Utd but wasted in an england shirt, i can still hope he ends up going to one of the north london clubs, not because they have foreign coaches but because of there current coaches way of doing things.

Im just trying to hope for a system that differs from the Germans but still trys to improve the situation considering we have an FA that is both ineffectual and would rather blame there mistakes or inadequacy on those cheating foreigners, which then gets repeated like sheep by so many of the english fanbase.

• Options
    A couple of points about the German system - most players at 18/19 are off doing their military/civil service and being away from home in an atmosphere that treats everyone equally. Most Germans I know look back on this year fondly as their first taste of experience away from home even if they are glad when it's over and off to uni or proper working life they go. Secondly the German system prides itself on the team ethic - they churn out good pros but rarely do you find players with flair who can't fit into the team, football after all is a team game. Lastly they look at the amount of football that young players in the UK are expected to play and the intensity they are expected to perform under and wonder why we are sabotaging our own game and point to the injuries that our best players suffer from as a consequence of making them play too much football at too young an age.

Instead they work on fitness, personal maturity and allow players to develop at the right pace for themselves. A good player could spend a decade at the top - so why risk that by getting them into the first team before they are ready.
  • Options
    GGA, would you be happy if Powell as replaced next week with a more 'continental' manager?