Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Town 2012 post-match views

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I've said it before but you'll only succeed with Stephens if you have two other central midfielders around him and move him higher up the pitch. If he could learn to move the ball on more quickly it would help.

I also think that despite his limitations the team looks a lot better with Jackson in it.
  • Options

bad run coincides with Pritchard being left out. He has to start in centre midfield. Frimpong needs to be sent back - a liability. Haynes needs to start up front with Hulse. Fuller is good but the best pairing, as has been proven, is those two. Haynes needs to be on the shoulder of the last man, not out wide to accomodate fuller. Wilson back in asap, seabourne replaced asap and the crowd need to pull their finger out again and get behind the team like we did against cardiff - we are back in a relegation battle but i don't think we will go down

Bexley Dan agree 100% - it is so obvious how can Powell not see it?

I suppose it is like the pro Stephens brigade. He is the new Racon imho, without the ball a complete waste of space. Last season I kept reading on here that he would be a better player in a higher division, what's the latest excuse? The Villa boat has sailed and a golden opportunity wasted to bring in Quinn and Hammond.

If Saturday's team does not include Pritchard and Evina with Hulse and Haynes up front, then Powell will need very broad shoulders to survive.
  • Options
    ................seems to me that Frimpong is just another in the long list of loanees and 'star' signings that Charlton never seem to get the best from. I rarely get excited by any signings of 'better' players any more. Expect nothing to avoid disappointment.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I just wonder how many of the "Powell out" mob go to away games.

Although I strongly disagree with the sentiment myself we've not done at all well at The Valley so one can sort of understand itchy trigger happy fingers. I felt thoroughly cheesed off yesterday, probably because I lost 6 hours of my Boxing Day for that rubbish, but getting rid of SCP never entered my radar and won't for some time yet.

Away from home, other than the last two matches, we've done really well so what do the "regular" away fans think of the man?

Do you mean the away games where ala Curbs we don't attack & spend most of the time going sideways.......I can't remember us troubling the Millwall 'keeper and v Sheff Wed we had our first "legitimate" shot at goal after 70 mins. Main reason why I generally don't go away now as I'm fed up driving for 4 hours at a time to see another "no show"

And before you say that is to be expected being the away team, funny how when the opposition visit the Valley we often find ourselves on the back foot very early on, under pressure from fast running forwards who shoot quite a bit which leads to us being 1-0 before half time.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    What are you getting at Golfie?

We played millwall when they were the form team in the division and got a point, should have got something from the game against Bolton really. Sheff wed was a shit performance but that happens every now and then.

Before those three we had one of the best away records in the league and last season broke all sorts of away records.

You think we are shit, we get it!
  • Options
    The two signings in Jan have to be midfield ones as that is where it is most needed. Stephens along with bwp may as well go if we need the money. It is all about confidence; Haynes and Hulse have it and despite mistakes morro, cort, and solly have it. It is the midfield where we need to strengthen as stephens and green dont have it and this is losing us games and points. Jackson is good but tired and pritchard should start on saturday.
  • Options

Just a little question: for a few games, with HULSE & HAYNES up-front we looked great... why CP changed this partnership ???

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Hulse is only on loan for a couple more games and we probably want to get his replacement fit for first team football.

I'm led to believe that Hulse earns way too much for us to keep him, and there is no point having him go back when Kermorgant and Fuller are not match fit. They've been on the bench for the last six games of Hulse's loan.
  • Options
    Cort and Morrison are too similar. Big units good in the air but lack pace. Ok in L1 when teams lump it, not good against quick strikers.
    Seaborne is awful
    The midfield is in bits.
    Jackson not quick enough for the wing and not good enough for CM.
    Frimpong is a headless chicken
    Green is poor
    Stephens , see Green
    Pritchard is my player of the season. What he lacks in ability he makes up for in work rate.
    Fuller - unfit
    Hulse and Kermo too similar
    Haynes needs to play in the middle
    BWP is poor.

The deadwood needs clearing out of the squad.
  • Options

The two signings in Jan have to be midfield ones as that is where it is most needed. Stephens along with bwp may as well go if we need the money. It is all about confidence; Haynes and Hulse have it and despite mistakes morro, cort, and solly have it. It is the midfield where we need to strengthen as stephens and green dont have it and this is losing us games and points. Jackson is good but tired and pritchard should start on saturday.

BWP has only six months left on his contract. On that basis he's worth zip.

• Options
    He will be on big wages though. Could fund a 6 month loan
    N'guessen was the catalyst at the end of last season. We need something like that now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cort and Morrison are too similar. Big units good in the air but lack pace. Ok in L1 when teams lump it, not good against quick strikers.
    Seaborne is awful
    The midfield is in bits.
    Jackson not quick enough for the wing and not good enough for CM.
    Frimpong is a headless chicken
    Green is poor
    Stephens , see Green
    Pritchard is my player of the season. What he lacks in ability he makes up for in work rate.
    Fuller - unfit
    Hulse and Kermo too similar
    Haynes needs to play in the middle
    BWP is poor.

The deadwood needs clearing out of the squad.

The entire squad is deadwood? Righto...
  • Options
    I didn't say that

Hamer
    Solly
    Cort
    Morrison
    Wilson
    Wiggins (when fit)
    Pritchard
    Kerkar
    A fit fuller
    Kermo
    Hulse
    Haynes

All good

It's the others that aren't up to scratch this season
  • Options
    Having played 24 games it's clear we have have some players who aren't championship standard ( Hollands, Kerkar, Jackson ). Despite that i think we have quite a lot of players who could excel in this league. Stephens and Green in particular i fell like they could come good. Instead of blaming Powell i think some players need to look at themselve and ask if there doing enough... Players like Green need to look at Pritchard, Green is technically better than Pritchard but is often poorer. Another thing id like to add is loan players... people like Frimpong seem to me that they don't really care. What a big dissapointment he turned out to be...
  • Options
    Green was in terrific form at the start of the season and surprised many people. He lost his place and has not recovered. When players are playing well they need to keep their places, it's a confidence thing. Luckily Pritchard seems to be a confident fellow. Stephens is a good player but needs to be playing in a team on the front foot, with lot's of movement so that he can pick his passes. There was no movement in the first half against Ipswich and he was caught pondering on too many occasions. The pitch was also soft and boggy which further slowed down play.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As always Scoham has magnificently summed it up. See p4.
    However, my tuppence worth.
    Stephens was truly shocking (as usual), no effort, slower than a tortoise, criminal play to get disposessed for their 2nd goal & not even adequately try to win it back.
    Frimpong, dived in & nearly gave away a penalty, so 5 mins later he did exactly the same & this time was successful.
    Stephens & Frimpong lost us the game, by their pathetic actions/inactions.
    Green was non existant as usual. Haynes played decent & tried hard.
    Hulse & Fuller tried hard & were ok. Fuller is clearly not fit & maybe never will be.
    Seabourne had a very poor game, but had started off well in his first half dozen games.
    Cort & Hamer did well. Jacko was ok.
    Morrison & Solly were good.
    Pritchard was MOM by a long chalk.

Powell had little financial backing in the summer & couldn't sign the 5 odd players he had lined up.
    This team will do well to stay up without reinforcements.
    We need to stay solid 4-5-1. Stop the weak midfield getting overun.
    Powell needs to stop tinkering where possible.

Hamer
    Solly Morrison Cort Evina
    Haynes Wilson Pritchard Frimpong Jackson
    Hulse

This is the way to go. Dervite for Frimpong when/if he's off to The Africa Nations Cup or elsewhere.

Subs :
    Dervite
    Fuller
    Kermo
    Green
    Button

Assuming BWP goes.
  • Options
    That's the team I'd have CE.
  • Options
    rel="killerandflash">

What I also can't accept is the idea that when we do well, and win L1 with 101 points, it's down to SCP's brilliant management, whereas when we lose it's down to TJ.
    I don't think anyone is quite saying that but last year SCP was able to build a squad capable of record achievements. Despite the obvious step up in class, for whatever reason he's not been entrusted with the money to bring his squad up to a standard where he can compete with the top of the division.

After all his best signing this season was the only player he was allowed to spend money on, Wilson, and who knows where we would be if he'd found the same backing this year as last.

The fact so little money has been available is not down to SCP unless I've missed something.
  • Options

Green was in terrific form at the start of the season and surprised many people. He lost his place and has not recovered. When players are playing well they need to keep their places, it's a confidence thing. Luckily Pritchard seems to be a confident fellow. Stephens is a good player but needs to be playing in a team on the front foot, with lot's of movement so that he can pick his passes. There was no movement in the first half against Ipswich and he was caught pondering on too many occasions. The pitch was also soft and boggy which further slowed down play.

Pritchard attitude is spot on. He sees every minute on the pitch as a bonus and works his socks off to earn more. Green has the ability but seems so fragile confidence wise that as soon as a password gets misplaced his head goes down and he disappears. This dropping deep and hitting early crosses is to me an indicator that he doesn't want the responsibility of moving his play higher up the pitch. The poster who said he could do with looking at Pritchard is spot on. But then maybe we're seeing why a previous manager released him.
  • Options
    Haynes is not a winger
    He needs to play central if we are to cause teams problems.

We need to change to 4-1-3-2 or a variation. Keep it tight with a holding midfielder.
    Middlesborough gave us a master class in this a few months back. the player thay had in
    front of the back 4 bossed the game
  • Options
    rikofold said:

rel="killerandflash">

What I also can't accept is the idea that when we do well, and win L1 with 101 points, it's down to SCP's brilliant management, whereas when we lose it's down to TJ.
    I don't think anyone is quite saying that but last year SCP was able to build a squad capable of record achievements. Despite the obvious step up in class, for whatever reason he's not been entrusted with the money to bring his squad up to a standard where he can compete with the top of the division.

After all his best signing this season was the only player he was allowed to spend money on, Wilson, and who knows where we would be if he'd found the same backing this year as last.

The fact so little money has been available is not down to SCP unless I've missed something.

But there is a bit of that. Last season he had money to spend to build a squad, cherry picking many of the best players from the division, which is a luxury few managers have at that level. This year he hasn't had the funds he would perhaps have liked, but that is a test of managerial prowess, making the most of your squad, coming up with systems to cope with the opposition, and bringing in the right loan players, within your budget. Was Seabourne really the best LB we could have found?

We definitely need a good performance on Saturday, 100% commitment from the players, good organisation and some attacking threat.
  • Sponsored links: