Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Town 2012 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Writing without reading so far.
    What is so so so sad about our present run, is that the powers that be are poised to use it as an excuse to sack Chris Powell at the earliest opportunity.
    Sacking Chris will rank in the top three worst decisions in the history of the club. More extreme than cutting off your nose to spite your face, or throwing quintuplets out with all of the bathwater in the street. I will say again, personally I would keep Chris Powell even if we were relegated. Anyway what's the alternative? Owen blimmin Coyle? George blimmin Burley? Gary blimmin Megson?
    Any manager appointed by the present board will be a deferential supplicant dancing to the tune of the owners however many bum notes they insist upon. A regime where the manager is appointed simply to be in thrall to the owners, will end up with so many incongruous examples of equivocation that the story of the Emperors new clothes will read like a gritty truthful documentary.
    Todays game? We were offered two, TWO, million for Dale Stephens and we denied the boy his chance to persue his premiership dream by holding out for more apparantly. I saw two million quid cause a second Ipswich goal at a crucial moment in the match, and lead to an impossible mountain to climb.
    Ipswich didn't really have to try that hard to get the points today, however in my view Rob Hulse, Chris Solly, Danny Haynes and Leon Cort did ok but the absolute slap you in the face outstanding performer in the second half was Bradley Pritchard.
    pritch did everything bar repairing the corner flag, he was outstanding in one of the best half-match performances I have ever seen. At one point he won a tackle, played it so as to win the throw, took the throw himself against an Ipswich player, got the ball as a result, and started a promising attack, all within about ten seconds. if Frimpong is the dench superstar then Bradley is Barcelona.
    Chris Powell 100% support.
  • Options

I will also stick up for Danny Green - he played half the first 45 mins on the left for gawd's sake - someone tell CP that Danny Green's crossing foot is his RIGHT !!!

Green was stuck on the left after 30 minutes because he was doing absolutely nothing on the right side, admittedly against one of the league's highest rated left backs (PL interest, I think).
  • Options

Pritchard has to start centre midfield.

+1
    Would also like to see Dervite in defensive midfield role in front of the centre backs, think Stephens should be tried out wide. If Frimpong stays he should be tried a bit further forward in midfield (or Kerkar). Wilson wide as final piece of midfield jigsaw.
    Hulse up front with Fuller/Kermogrant as backup.
    Haynes/BWP as impact subs.

Need to be solid till we reach 45+ points.

• Options
    Not enjoyable at all, it felt as though we had been transported back a few years. But why all the lily livered fuss? We've already learnt that that having to select from leftovers for loanees is less than desirable, crap in fact. CP didn't get the budget to get the players he had expected to sign and wasn't allowed by Mr Greedy to sell Dale Stephens. The strains and tensions are showing, confidence is seeping away and there may well be major upheavals in January. It's time to hold our nerve IMO, show some faith and carry on supporting, just like the covered end did today.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me one game this season were we dominated a match comfortably this season?
  • Options
    Think Haynes should start upfront if we play 4-4-2. Was he playing up there when we beat Bristol City?? (Or was that in a 4-5-1?)

He stretches teams with his pace, hopefully relieving a bit of pressure on our midfield.

Wilson back in on the right for Green.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Prague whatever your gripe with the board is, I couldn't give a toss, let's analyse things, since Millwall Powelly has made change after change and to most of us we don't know why ?. I didn't go my 11 son's words as he came through the door was we were shit. So instead of digging the board out, since the 1st of December give me a grown up explanation of what has changed ?

And I couldn't give a toss if you can't see beyond the length of your nose. However even you must be able to work out that if your squad is so-so then your results will be so-so too. A few good results and then the rest mediocre or downright poor. Especially when what squad you have is constantly disrupted by injury. For a start one of e first three names on CP' s team sheet would be Wiggins. We have no decent replacement for him. We have no idea what the best combo up front is because Fuller has been injured 80% of his time here, and Kermo was injured for three months. We know CP thinks Stephens will never quite be good enough, but of course Championship Manager wanted to play poker with Villa and lost, leaving CP without a reliable midfield playmaker. It's a mess and we deserve to be where we are now. no manager within our financial grasp would have done any better.

Grown up enough for you?

And I only just noticed that you didn't even go. Jesus. That's 10 minutes of my life I won't get back.

• Options
    Should have added ...east stand linesman, one of the worst I have ever seen ...over-ruled by the ref when he got obvious throw-in decisions wrong, inability to understand offside, flagging for non-fouls, etc

In the end, had no influence on the result, but still very very poor.
  • Options

I will also stick up for Danny Green - he played half the first 45 mins on the left for gawd's sake - someone tell CP that Danny Green's crossing foot is his RIGHT !!!

Green was stuck on the left after 30 minutes because he was doing absolutely nothing on the right side, admittedly against one of the league's highest rated left backs (PL interest, I think).
    So Green's "mare" of a game is because he was up against a quality left back - hardly a reason to first switch him & then sub him !

sorry to say unless there is MAJOR investment in a weeks time OR a major shift in tactics then I'm afraid we are looking at playing the likes of Orient & Oldham again next season.
  • Options

Ignore it

Someone didn't dare to blame the manager did they ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

Ignore it

No - that would be heresay and no-one is allowed to criticise CP................remember what happened in the Curbs era (c 1991-2006) you would get branded a heratic and not allowed to post for a week as punishment.
  • Options

Can anyone tell me one game this season were we dominated a match comfortably this season?

Bristol City away
  • Options

PL54 said:

Ignore it

No - that would be heresay and no-one is allowed to criticise CP................remember what happened in the Curbs era (c 1991-2006) you would get branded a heratic and not allowed to post for a week as punishment.
    Yep, and then clueless moaners like you got your way and boring old Curbs was ousted. Remind me how that one turned out Golfie?
  • Options
    Well done Prague you came back for a game, give yourself a pat on the back, all the reasons you state were happening when we went on our unbeaten run, so why change, Cort for Dervite, Hulse dropped (why), it's the same squad since wiggy got injured when things are going ok don't tamper, Kermo got injured, things got better why bring him back in ?
  • Options

PL54 said:

Ignore it

Yep, and then clueless moaners like you got your way and boring old Curbs was ousted. Remind me how that one turned out Golfie?
    Curbs ousted ??? I think you may be trying to re-write history. Try reading his autobiography for the resaon why Curbs left. In case you can't read then I'll tell you. He didn't want to sign another contract and wanted to see his existing one out ( he had a year left) and then see what transpires - probably to move onto pasturesew. Richard Murray wanted a manager to have more than a year and so they came up with a plan for Curbs to go a year early. In hindsight it would have been better for Curbs to stay - maybe take someone under his wing and "mentor" him......I dunno, but Curbs certainly wasn't hounded out or sacked.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Ignore it

Eh?

• Options
    Very disappointing. Again too many players out of sorts and if you give away cheap goals to anyone you are in trouble. Worrying that we have lost 3 straight games to teams below us. If we don't arrest this slide quickly a relegation battle looms. At least cp made some half time changes and pritchard in particular did well, but only 3 home wins in 12 games simply isn't good enough.
  • Options
    Well, that put a bit of a dampener on Christmas didn't it.

I liked the line-up, with the exception of playing Hulse and Fuller together - I really think we need to play one of Hulse/Fuller/kermo with one of Haynes/BWP, otherwise we lack pace and mobility - but the display was absolutely inept. I thought Haynes did well and Pritch was our best player when he came on. I am a Stephens fan but he was abysmal today.

Best left at that and hope that CP can wield some magic to turn this around.

• Options

PL54 said:

Ignore it

Curbs ousted ??? I think you may be trying to re-write history. Try reading his autobiography for the resaon why Curbs left. In case you can't read then I'll tell you. He didn't want to sign another contract and wanted to see his existing one out ( he had a year left) and then see what transpires - probably to move onto pasturesew. Richard Murray wanted a manager to have more than a year and so they came up with a plan for Curbs to go a year early. In hindsight it would have been better for Curbs to stay - maybe take someone under his wing and "mentor" him......I dunno, but Curbs certainly wasn't hounded out or sacked.
    And why did Curbs want to leave? Probably because the fans were bored with the excellent job he'd done and wanted more. They got restless with mid-table Premiership mediocrity and wanted someone more interesting. Well, we got it.

Of course I can read Golfie, I'm on a forum typing and reading words. That was a silly thing to say, wasn't it?
  • Options
    We will stay up . But this squad is one of the worst in the league
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our N01 problem is midfield.

Frimpong is out of his depth send back to Arse.

Stevens is a luxury and is not a winner, sell now.

Seaborne is ready to go back to Soton please.

Green is only an impact player for only the last 15 mins.

Give SCP a chance to put things right, we need reinforcements in midfield that can battle and have nous to control the game.

It 's not a disaster yet, but remedial action is needed right now.
  • Options
    Well, we never invested much over the summer or sold key players to fund investment. Putting every player under the spotlight isn't really going to help.
  • Options
    Don't worry we have a Saturday home game coming up. Last time we won one was Hartlepool in m
  • Options
    Exasparating performance this afternoon.
    First half was poor and we were second best in most areas. Defence was OK but Seabourne looked unsure though I'm not surprised because the midfield were awful. Where were they in the first half?
    Fuller and Hulse were each playing therir own game - Hulse was MOM for me, worked his socks off.
    Hard to single out the poor players though Stephens had a mare today.
    Lets not forget that in general, most of these players came up from League One. This league is tougher and all mistakes are punished. We have to punch above our weight and in order to do that we need some consistency and for the team to work together.
    Better when Pritchard and Jackson came on. Jackson adds to the team, although he's slow at times. Pritch just works hard - always
    Changing it round every week is a mistake - our players are not good enough to do that - yet.
    Onwards and upwards.......................
  • Options
    Shocking performance, is Scp losing the players with his tinkering, most peoples MOM today Pritch, dropped previous 3 games, why ? Haynes wide left again, ineffective, Green confidence shot to pieces, no Waggy, no pattern of play. It appears we are getting worse, very worried, think it's January or bust for Scp and I don't think he could complain if he the worst was to happen he appears sadly a little out of his depth. No one is bigger than the club.
  • Options
    Sometimes Powell tinkers a bit too often. However, it is very rare that any manager plays the same players, formation and tactics every game.

We have been undone by injuries, and more recently suspensions. We have a squad that has been 'improved' upon from last year's with two ageing strikers, a young midfielder who seems to think he's the new Paul Ince but without the hunger and ability, the fourth choice Southampton left back, a youngster released by Sunderland who spent time on loan at Carlisle last season...and Lawrie Wilson who was slated before he'd even kicked a ball for us but is now one of our most important players.

Powell has proved that he knows how to spot a player. And that these players would run through walls for him. But he is struggling to find to right blend at the moment. There is clearly internal shenanigans going on. I do not know whether he is totally in control of the football side of things. Probably not.

But, when, after three games of admittedly poor football and poor results, there are supporters saying he should go, then I do question their sense. We have a squad of players who, collectively, are at best a lower mid table Championship team.

And to my mind there is only one man who deserves the opportunity and time to move us forward.
  • Options
    Very poor show against an ordinary side.

Seabourne - thanks for your help, bye.
    Frimpong - the pong is coming from your poo performances, bye
    Stephens - shape-up or ship-out
    Green - you are capable of better, but you will be forever L1 unless you deliver
    Haynes - don't believe your own hype, consistency is vital
  • Options
    I am so disappointed at the display today, especially when I thought we fielded an attacking formation for once. We were toothless. This trend of only showing up when we fall behind has to stop. . . . . . Soon! I would go with the same team on Saturday though.
  • Options

Sometimes Powell tinkers a bit too often. However, it is very rare that any manager plays the same players, formation and tactics every game.

We have been undone by injuries, and more recently suspensions. We have a squad that has been 'improved' upon from last year's with two ageing strikers, a young midfielder who seems to think he's the new Paul Ince but without the hunger and ability, the fourth choice Southampton left back, a youngster released by Sunderland who spent time on loan at Carlisle last season...and Lawrie Wilson who was slated before he'd even kicked a ball for us but is now one of our most important players.

Powell has proved that he knows how to spot a player. And that these players would run through walls for him. But he is struggling to find to right blend at the moment. There is clearly internal shenanigans going on. I do not know whether he is totally in control of the football side of things. Probably not.

But, when, after three games of admittedly poor football and poor results, there are supporters saying he should go, then I do question their sense. We have a squad of players who, collectively, are at best a lower mid table Championship team.

And to my mind there is only one man who deserves the opportunity and time to move us forward.

Spot on the most sensible, balanced post so far. When all about them are losing their heads try and keep yours fellow addicks and no Rome isn't burning just yet :-0
  • Options
    not sure how its going to get better with this bunch either. That was a real attacking team we put out today with arguably our best three forwards on the pitch and we created very little.

No point in sacking the manager though, noone could do better with the players we have.