Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Town 2012 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    One of the great unanswered questions of 2012 will be how on earth did we beat Cardiff ?
  • Options

Pritchard, JJ, Hollands, Stevo, Rasak, Frimpong, Dervite. How many more CMs in a 4-4-2 do we have to try before the penny drops? It's not the players but the shape. Can Tutt-tutt give an insight?

Is Tutt Tutt Alex Dyer then?
    No, Dyer is the coach partially responsible for the back 4, mf and strikers being too far apart giving gaps for oppo to run into and preventing our close passing leading to hoof ball.

• Options
    Today just typified what is wrong with the side; the midfield are in no way up to standard. Kerm has got a load of stick recently because apparently we only knock it long when he plays. That is not at all his fault. The reason we play so much long ball is because so, so often the back 4 have the ball and have absolutely nobody dropping for the short pass. Stephens and Frimpong lost us the game today; had the former not been so irresponsible on the stroke of half time we go in at 1-0 and it is a different game. Equally, how often did both give the ball away completely carelessly. Why Villa were willing to pay so much for him is beyond me. We need to get a hungry, box to box player in january who will run himself into the ground for 90 mins and Pritch can play next to him. On that note, for all the flak he, JJ and Kerm get I understand SCP's faith as I reckon he wants old school type CAFC players around who actually give a monkeys when they are on the pitch. Seaborne today was so abysmal I am not going to waste any more energy talking about him. Hamer MOM for me.
  • Options
    Blimey Fanny, and your one of the most positive Charlton supporters!
  • Options
    A bad game to watch but thank you Danny Seabourne for putting in a display which warrant's top 3 worst performances in a Charlton shirt since I started watching 19 years ago. He was losing headers, has no pace, can't control the ball, can't pass.....so why is he there? Get rid of him.

We lost the first half through no centre midfield. Green was anonymous aswell which was sad to see as you would have thought he would take his moment to shine with Wilson being suspended.

Pritchard should start centre midfield and as others have said, we need to go back to 4-5-1. We are conceding far too easily. The goals we let in at the moment are so bad it is painful to watch.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Dazzler21 said:

charlton are wank!

That's one way to put it - or you could accept we are going to lose games, yes we defiantely do need to strengthen however we aren't in a desperate situation yet , January will be the month that sets the tone for our season , whether it is a relegation battle or a top half finish. If the board doesn't invest they cannot moan if we get relegated , end of
  • Options

Blimey Fanny, and your one of the most positive Charlton supporters!

It's called reverse psychology , MIA ( I think !)
  • Options
    That was the most depressing day I've had since the bad old days of a couple of years ago. Thoroughly inept performance. Sadly it is the team I would have picked from those available so I can't complain there. Sterile atmosphere. Well beaten by a very ordinary Ipswich team who deserved the win. We were utterly inept. I have no idea what system we were trying to play. I defend Danny Green robustly but he was devoid of confidence today and with his half time hooking I suspect we may have seen the last of him in a Charlton shirt. Great shame. He has been badly managed. Fuller and Hulse can't play together. I dont rate Hulse. I know lots on here do so I'll get the usual remarks but I'm sorry I just dont see it. Seaborne was just laughable and provided the comic moment of the day by trying to let a ball go out but letting it bounce off his standing foot. Stephens had a very poor game but at least he tried to play football. Not sure where we go from here. I try not to criticise SCP without good reason but I just cannot fathom what system we were trying to play today. Utterly depressing. And a good soaking on the way home. Ah well, my dog is giving me a cuddle and the whisky bottle is nearby. Relegation struggle on the cards I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Poor from us, first half was the worst I've seen us this season. Midfield as everyone knows is lacking badly, people were saying we pump it long with kerms but today we showed we do it anyway. Green did very little but he was on the left, Seaborne poor, Frimprong poor. Back to early season please when we conceded very little and make us tough to beat then hopefully get enough for survival hopefully the rumours about having some cash is true and we can get some quality in the midfield
  • Options

Today just typified what is wrong with the side; the midfield are in no way up to standard. Kerm has got a load of stick recently because apparently we only knock it long when he plays. That is not at all his fault. The reason we play so much long ball is because so, so often the back 4 have the ball and have absolutely nobody dropping for the short pass. Stephens and Frimpong lost us the game today; had the former not been so irresponsible on the stroke of half time we go in at 1-0 and it is a different game. Equally, how often did both give the ball away completely carelessly. Why Villa were willing to pay so much for him is beyond me. We need to get a hungry, box to box player in january who will run himself into the ground for 90 mins and Pritch can play next to him. On that note, for all the flak he, JJ and Kerm get I understand SCP's faith as I reckon he wants old school type CAFC players around who actually give a monkeys when they are on the pitch. Seaborne today was so abysmal I am not going to waste any more energy talking about him. Hamer MOM for me.

No, the problem is not failure of midfield to come deep for ball and get isolated, but defence won't play it out, and when we clear and get ball they sit and wait rather than follow out. PP's sides were same. How many one on keepers have we conceded last few years? Handful if that. How many shots from edge of box after we clear and don't move towards ball? Lost count.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't read the comments above.

Think we are better with 4-5-1 - and with Pritchard in the side. Even though his technique and decision making is sometimes lacking (anyone see Fuller bollock him when he should've slid it through in behind but played a mediocre chipped pass wide to Haynes?), he is the only midfielder we have with a proper engine. He gives us some real energy wins the ball and just gets about the park. I know Frimpong is Arsenal, highly rated (and unlucky to be replaced rather than the erratic Stephens), but we were a different side when Pritchard came on. First half we had no energy and very few ideas.

Hulse had a good game, Fuller was average and clearly lacking fitness / needs a proper run to find some consistency. We need another striker still - a championship quality equivalent of BWP. Was impressed by Haynes wide.

Seabourne's second half was dire, the sooner we get Wiggins back the better - apart from anything else, he provides us with a threat down the left which we painfully lacked today with RWs out there in the first half, and the disciplined but unexceptional Jackson out there second half.

Not a good day for us but I think Powell will return to 4-5-1 Saturday and we will get a result.
  • Options
    BRING BACK WAGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    How was there only 4mins at the end? Took 2 mins to change the corner flag, Fullers injury was another 2mins, 3 Subs 1.5mins, Ipswich time wasting from the kick off 3mins. I think Ipswich are worse than Bury for time wasting. Ref very poor as was his assistant on the East Side. I hope Pritchard starts the next game.
  • Options
    Things look pretty desperate to me. I don't think 'keeping the faith' is going to help much, nor will changing the manager, nor will shuffling the existing pack. Fairly significant and astute investment in January is the only answer. As it stands we are probably one of the three worst teams in the division IMO.
  • Options
    Dansk, the way we played today we wouldn't have scored from open play until next Boxing Day, but the stoppage-time allowed was endemic of the 'quality' of the officials today - about the same level as our football!
  • Options
    One more performance like that and it's adios Chris Powell. No ideas whatsoever. Why oh why didn't we take that money for Stephens in the last transfer window. Headless chicken today. Totally ruined my Christmas that result.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Stephens was dreadful, but seaborne was on a simon francids level of ineptness, unbelievable. green inept, wilson back in saturday. we are better than this. the comfortable feeling i had at the brighton game has gone a bit now
  • Options
    Some very poor performances today, especially Seabourne and Stephens, but they were not the only ones.
    Did not understand why CP did not sub Fuller when he went down, and signalled to the bench, then got subbed by Kermogent who was already waiting before he went down?. Perhaps he was going to sub Hulse . Immediate improvement when Pritchard came on, and although he is not my favourite player we do seem to play better as a team with him in the side, so he starts for me. Third time Fuller has broken down to me, so has to be an impact sub at best. BWP must be wondering what he has to do to start a game, and though he looked half the player he was last season. Frimpong seems to get worse each game, rash challenges aside should be more than comfortable on the ball at this level.
    Going to be a long few days for CP to sort this lot out. I think he will get us through this, but we need a good performance for both team and fans.
  • Options
    Tbf to BWP when he's played this season he hasn't been poor but like all our strikers they get next to no service.

Think we're 7 points from relegation now don't want to get in a scrap
  • Options
    That was a game of taking chances, and fortunately for Ipswich we didn't take ours
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One more performance like that and it's adios Chris Powell. No ideas whatsoever. Why oh why didn't we take that money for Stephens in the last transfer window. Headless chicken today. Totally ruined my Christmas that result.

You need to address your question to Antonio Jiminez, and I would be curious to know what answer you get. You could also ask him what the point is of getting rid of the manager when he has had no chance to put together a decent side for level, and who could come in and do better. Some people seem to think that Owen Coyle would be Jiminez answer. The man who took Bolton down and then, despite the parachute money, set them on course for successive relegation.
  • Options

Tbf to BWP when he's played this season he hasn't been poor but like all our strikers they get next to no service.

Think we're 7 points from relegation now don't want to get in a scrap

yep yet still only 4 points from 11th, this division is full of twists and turns for every team it seems
  • Options
    Posting without reading.

We've had worst performances but for some reason I feel more fed up about this defeat than most to the extent that I left the moment the whistle blew rather than applaud the players off the pitch which I normally do.

My daughter wasn't well but rather than stay at home with her and the rest of the family I wasted 6 hours of my Boxing Day for that. Why do we do it?

Hamer and Solly can hold their heads up but as for the rest indifferent at best particularly the midfield although the introduction of Pritchard and Jackson improved things. I think Seabourne thought he was playing rugby the way he continually kicked the ball "into touch" in the second half!

Conclusion: as I've said for much of the season I hope and pray that we can find 3 worse teams in the division. After today I'm not that confident.

• Options
    Fairly straight-forward today. 4-4-2 against 4-4-2, so ten individual battles around the pitch. We lost the majority of them in the first half. Even Solly our most reliable player had the runaround from Lee Martin.
    A much better second half prompted by the energy and enthusiasm of Pritchard. But we had too much to do after the poor first half performance in which Ipswich were quicker, stronger and better organised...which is alarming in itself.

We've got 29 points from 24 games which is about right with what is an improving League One squad, which is gradually being changed. We need 2 or 3 championship quality players added to the squad during the transfer window (and not loans), to be comfortable, particularly in midfield. (Why are we starting with a right footed striker on the left side of midfield?). So its up to the board to come up with some money, otherwise it will be a relegation battle in the new year.

The biggest mystery to me, is how Aston Villa have assessed Stephens as a Premiership player? He still looks to me like a League One player still trying to play at Championship level? Mind you after their 0-8 against Chelsea last weekend Villa might decide he is the answer. I hope their Chief Scout was elsewhere today. We should have snatched their hands off in the August window.

More Danny Dyer than Alex Dyer.....

• Options
    Manager has to take a lot of the blame. Hasn't got a clue what his best 11 is.

Tactics are awful. Players look rudderless. Stephens, Green and Seabourne were shocking. Frimpong ineffective. Fuller and hulse are too much of a similar type of player to play alongside each other.

The worst of it was that Ipswich are pretty average at best.

Something has to change - and quickly.
  • Options

That was a game of taking chances, and fortunately for Ipswich we didn't take ours

Hardly. They missed just as many chances as us incl a pen.
  • Options
    In actually thought Stephens had a decent game - at least he wanted the ball and I don't blame him for their 2nd goal - who was it that decided to pass too him in the first place - don't they know you shouldn't pass it across your own box ???

I will also stick up for Danny Green - he played half the first 45 mins on the left for gawd's sake - someone tell CP that Danny Green's crossing foot is his RIGHT !!!

Although I think Pritchard is out of his depth at least today he showed passion and some passing ability - but I still don't think he is the answer.

Haynes was probably my MOTM (followed by Pritchard) - ran his socks off and not in his natural position - another case of square pegs & round holes.............whilst on the subject why play Seabourne if Evina is on the bench ???

We all love CP and he will remain a legend - but sometimes you have to ask is he the right man for the job ? Sometimes there is no room for sentiment & maybe a few years managing a team that doesn't hold the emotion that CAFC does may help him ?
  • Options
    Prague whatever your gripe with the board is, I couldn't give a toss, let's analyse things, since Millwall Powelly has made change after change and to most of us we don't know why ?. I didn't go my 11 son's words as he came through the door was we were shit. So instead of digging the board out, since the 1st of December give me a grown up explanation of what has changed ?
  • Options
    One thing I forgot.

Was that the Lee Martin who played for us?

Complete contrast from the lightweight we had.
  • Options
    Seaborne was totally dire ...did nothing right.

Apart from one free kick, Stephens was a liability. Frimpong should know better than to give away a penalty in such circumstances. Nothing like the player I had been told he was.

Haynes had a good game, never gave up, harried their players and deserved to take the penalty. Fuller looked very strong at times, and Hulse showed some good hold-up play. Solly did well but not his best. Morro and Cort still a good combination. Hamer had a good game again ...neither goal his fault.

Pritchard looked good when he came on, Jacko ok but not at his best still.

Overall, a worrying performance, especially as next two games will not be easy. I have no relegation concerns, but I think we will get dragged closer.

January will be very interesting ...money or no money?, Stephens no longer wanted by villa?, Solly staying or going?, New owners? ........