Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Town 2012 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Watched Frimpong warming up; all too much effort for him. Stephens played a blinder (for the Tractor Boys!). Sorry JJ, been a great fan of yours, but at this level you are past your sell by date. But real problem is too much tinkering but I still have faith that CP will learn from this and we can move back to winning ways.
  • Options

Then thing is .. we are playing in a VERY tough and competitive division with not very many quality players .. and what I have seen, a few of the 'quality' players we have do not appear to be commmitted to the cause. Overall the players (whoever is selected) are working hard, most just lack the necessary class for this division .. we are not getting stuffed, losing by the odd goal or 2 .. against the Owls, a blinding strike and a last minute clincher .. today against a side which man for man was better than us and didn't win by much .. we need strengthening, the effort and sweat evident so far this season will only get us so far. When I saw that no money (real money that is) was forthcoming for new players I was fearful for this season .. the standard of our football is poor but we are roughly where I thought we might be. I for one am keeping the faith and hope that we get a few new faces (quality faces hopefully) in during January. Slagging off the manager and players now will get us nowhere .. the fans need patience and some understanding of our true situation

As a matter of interest, do you still believe Seabourne is a better defender than Wiggins?

• Options
    My view is that (on paper) yesterday's team looked exciting; an attacking formation with quality players and the best back-four we could muster without Wilson or Wiggins. So disappointed that Green went missing yet again. I think he's had his last chance. Frimpong and Stephens together should have worked but failed miserably with both showing signs of 'this isn't my main club'. Hulse worked hard and, again, should have been the platform for Fuller to show the match winning skills he has. Thought the defence did ok apart from the unspeakably awful Seaborne. He looks the part but was shocking. Thought Pritchard made a difference when he came on. Generally though I'm becoming frustrated at the trend of us only 'turning up' when we are behind and on the back foot. It doesn't make sense to me why our performances at the Valley this season have been so weak. We need our fortress back if we are to safeguard our Championship status.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    @ValleyGary is spot on.

Pritch and Wilson should be the first two names on that team sheet and the rest of the midfield needs to accommodate them whether it's as a flat 4 or a 5 with a lone striker. When you are devoid of quality and confidence, you need to go back to basics and that's desire and effort and there aren't many players out there who are going to run harder than them.

Frimpong needs to doff his Dench cap and take notes about the impression Pritchard created on that midfield battle in the second half because he can only sit and watch a committed performance like that in envy.
  • Options
    I just wonder how many of the "Powell out" mob go to away games.

Although I strongly disagree with the sentiment myself we've not done at all well at The Valley so one can sort of understand itchy trigger happy fingers. I felt thoroughly cheesed off yesterday, probably because I lost 6 hours of my Boxing Day for that rubbish, but getting rid of SCP never entered my radar and won't for some time yet.

Away from home, other than the last two matches, we've done really well so what do the "regular" away fans think of the man?
  • Options
    Yesterday was a shock result, considering the starting line up we had I thought was a side to be reckoned with. The game started brightly for us, good passing and movement but no real threat to Ipswich's goal.

Frimpong is over-hyped! Total waste of space yesterday. If he touched the ball more than twice I would be amazed. Two reckless challenges in the box, one he timed well and the other we got a massive let off with Campbell skewing his pen wide. Seaborne and Stevens also calamity players yesterday. Dale was caught in possession deep in our half and after a stinging shot by Campbell, Drury (who had Seabourne in his back pocket) had the easiest of the chances. 0-2. Damage done and game effectively over.

2nd half we got a response and that in part was due to the Covered End backing the team. Fair play to our fans for getting behind them. However, we just couldn't capitalise on our dominance. Passes were made a 90mph and continually at f'ing chest height! We can't afford to keep making these mistakes.

Anyway next match - sack Frimpong and Seabourne off and play Evina and Pritchard ahead of them
  • Options
    Frimpong - what's that word he has invented....'dench' - more like 'stench', as he stunk out The Valley yesterday. He was so, so poor - needs to concentrate on playing football rather than being a 'media celeb'.
  • Options
    Yesterday's match shows just how much CP has been papering over the cracks of an inadequate squad this season - although Lee Martin was skillful and lively he still has no end product and Ipswich are one of the weakest teams we have played this season.

During the summer it was obvious that, to make the step up to Championship level, we needed:

a) a CB with pace (preferably left footed)
    b) cover for Chris Solly
    c) a left mid, right mid and centre mid - we all knew that Green and JJ would struggle at this level due to lack of pace and it was too big a risk to assume that both Stephens and Hollands would make the step up
    d) at least one, preferably 2 forwards

Of the signings made by CP only Wilson and Fuller come close to improving the first X1 - (Wilson as right midfield rather than right back) - the others are no better than squad players for the bench or devt squad.

Yesterday's game, like so many this season was lost in midfield where we fail to close down teams, lack pace and movement and give the ball away far too much - we create little for the forwards and put too much pressure on the defence by giving up possession cheaply - add to that the fact that we have square pegs in round holes on the left hand side meansd it is very easy for sides to come to the Valley and pick up 3 points. Having Wiggins back will help but we need some decent signings in January otherwise we'll be dragged into a relegation battle.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    If CP had made the changes he made after 30 minutes, instead of waiting until ht, we'd have got something from the game. Why do managers wait until half time when they can see (and know) what they're going to do at ht?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

What, like Millwall away?

Anyway, I would just like to see a team put out that can give 100% for 90 mins. That would be a start.
    Maybe we need to bring in youth and dump loans. Loans have never made us a buoyant ship in previous times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am afraid that it is poor tactics together with inadequate players. We never look like scoring and why Wright-Phillips is left out in the cold I don't understand. I also agree with those comments that said we only start playing in the second half. Why? is this the managers or the players fault? I am sorry to say that I have not seen a worse team that Charlton this season, CP needs to be given a chance to strengthen in the transfer window with a decent passing midfielder and a striker with pace.If we dion't then improve then he will have to go,I for one, cannot face the prospect of league1 again
  • Options

LenGlover said:

What, like Millwall away?

Anyway, I would just like to see a team put out that can give 100% for 90 mins. That would be a start.
    Maybe we need to bring in youth and dump loans. Loans have never made us a buoyant ship in previous times.
    That team yesterday gave 100%, we were undone by some silly errors. By no means is it a question of attitude or effort with this side.

Too angry reading this thread to say much else, but we have some absolute to$$ers for supporters.
  • Options
    bad run coincides with Pritchard being left out. He has to start in centre midfield. Frimpong needs to be sent back - a liability. Haynes needs to start up front with Hulse. Fuller is good but the best pairing, as has been proven, is those two. Haynes needs to be on the shoulder of the last man, not out wide to accomodate fuller. Wilson back in asap, seabourne replaced asap and the crowd need to pull their finger out again and get behind the team like we did against cardiff - we are back in a relegation battle but i don't think we will go down
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Sometimes Powell tinkers a bit too often. However, it is very rare that any manager plays the same players, formation and tactics every game.

We have been undone by injuries, and more recently suspensions. We have a squad that has been 'improved' upon from last year's with two ageing strikers, a young midfielder who seems to think he's the new Paul Ince but without the hunger and ability, the fourth choice Southampton left back, a youngster released by Sunderland who spent time on loan at Carlisle last season...and Lawrie Wilson who was slated before he'd even kicked a ball for us but is now one of our most important players.

Powell has proved that he knows how to spot a player. And that these players would run through walls for him. But he is struggling to find to right blend at the moment. There is clearly internal shenanigans going on. I do not know whether he is totally in control of the football side of things. Probably not.

But, when, after three games of admittedly poor football and poor results, there are supporters saying he should go, then I do question their sense. We have a squad of players who, collectively, are at best a lower mid table Championship team.

And to my mind there is only one man who deserves the opportunity and time to move us forward.

good post sir john

yes - pretty much says it all, calling for his head is absurd - just hope we have some funds to strengthen in January &/or avoid losing some of the beter players (imagine if Solly goes)

it's a big gamble for the owners, trust Powell & give him some cash or face a huge fight for survival in the second half of the season

I didn't call for his head but he is not beyond criticism is he ?

It seems that you're not allowed to question his ability without upsetting the masses. The players are not the only forces at play when it comes to matchday performance.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Of course CP makes mistakes and justified criticism is fine but after every bad game do we need people calling for powells head?

It's boring
  • Options
    Just to confirm then that Frimpong is now the officially the possessor of the Emporers New Clothes? There are a few on here slagging the bloke off who were happy to view him as the second coming only a few weeks ago.

Not out to score points btw just making the point that it is always best to make our own judgement about a player having seen him a few times than assume he's going to be world class because of who he plays/played for. I call it the Traore effect.
  • Options
    Pritchard was dropped since scoring a winner for us I believe. Odd.
  • Options
    Or the You Tube effect ?
  • Options
    Frimpong made a silly error for the penalty. Apart from that I thought he put in some decent challenges and wasn't necessarily showing himself to be worse than anyone else. The whole argument of "He is on loan from a big club = he is not interested" is such a lazy opinion and just screams of scapegoat targetting IMO.
  • Options
    Two comments;
    1) Can we see a bit more movement from whoever plays upfront on Saturday, so static with no movement off the ball to pull the defence and give the midfield more options.
    2) Can we send Frimpong back, I never want to see that lazy good for nothing in a Charlton shirt again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I'm disappointed by Frimpong, I was one of those delighted by his signing and thought he was what we needed after especially reading comments of Wolves fans. They were absolutely gutted they missed out on him and if he was really their one of their best players last season in the PL, they must've truly been a steaming pile of poo poo.
  • Options
    stephens is anonymous as anonymous can be at times, I think maybe push him up, sit frimpong back and go diamond 4-4-2, so we have a holding midfielder staying back and stephens can push up and not be a liability in possession by his own box
  • Options

I'm disappointed by Frimpong, I was one of those delighted by his signing and thought he was what we needed after especially reading comments of Wolves fans. They were absolutely gutted they missed out on him and if he was really their one of their best players last season in the PL, they must've truly been a steaming pile of poo poo.

My mate is a season ticket holder at arsenal ...he reckoned we had a great loan signing ...As I've said before, i do wonder if he is trying to avoid potential injury before the African nations.

According to his interview in the program, he wants to stay with us all season.
  • Options
    My view of Frimpong was based on watching him first hand a number of time's, dissapointing if he is not at his best the last few matches but people should not run him out of town so quickly IMO as he is young and still learning with clear talent even if a little raw at times and if Arsenal decide to let him go as they do with many talented youngsters due to the amount they have each season then i personally hope we are first in line with a contract for a player that will only get better under good management that we can offer under CP.
  • Options
    I think Frimpong is a good player. He is scratching his head at what's going in around him in our shambles of a team. He's used to a higher level than this and it must be very strange for him. Every game he has got worse (as have the team). It's not working out but I'd keep I'm if we had the choice (which I suspect we don't).
  • Options
    Nobody (well virtually) is calling for Powell's head, and I'm certainly not, but after recent performances he's hardly above criticism. Losing games to teams below us isn't clever, and the amount of changes he's making between games smacks of someone who doesn't know his best team. We've lost our ability to keep clean sheets, but also look unimaginative going forward.

What I also can't accept is the idea that when we do well, and win L1 with 101 points, it's down to SCP's brilliant management, whereas when we lose it's down to TJ.
  • Options
    It was flat from the outset yesterday and it didn't help that somebody forgot to play the Red Red Robin as the team came out. I'd been looking forward to hearing that again for the past year!! I don't agree that we need loads of new signings, our bench has been the strongest for years in recent weeks with players such as BWP, Waggy, Cook and Taylor not even making the bench. Left midfield is a major weakness but we have players good enough for every other position when Wiggins returns. We scored five goals against the top team with Hulse and Haynes up front, but have they played together since? With Pritchard and Wilson in midfield we will have the required energy, pace and movement which will allow Stephens the time and space he needs to be effective. As I see it our problems are Left Back/left midfield and poor team selection.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Oakster said:

Sometimes Powell tinkers a bit too often. However, it is very rare that any manager plays the same players, formation and tactics every game.

We have been undone by injuries, and more recently suspensions. We have a squad that has been 'improved' upon from last year's with two ageing strikers, a young midfielder who seems to think he's the new Paul Ince but without the hunger and ability, the fourth choice Southampton left back, a youngster released by Sunderland who spent time on loan at Carlisle last season...and Lawrie Wilson who was slated before he'd even kicked a ball for us but is now one of our most important players.

Powell has proved that he knows how to spot a player. And that these players would run through walls for him. But he is struggling to find to right blend at the moment. There is clearly internal shenanigans going on. I do not know whether he is totally in control of the football side of things. Probably not.

But, when, after three games of admittedly poor football and poor results, there are supporters saying he should go, then I do question their sense. We have a squad of players who, collectively, are at best a lower mid table Championship team.

And to my mind there is only one man who deserves the opportunity and time to move us forward.

good post sir john

yes - pretty much says it all, calling for his head is absurd - just hope we have some funds to strengthen in January &/or avoid losing some of the beter players (imagine if Solly goes)

it's a big gamble for the owners, trust Powell & give him some cash or face a huge fight for survival in the second half of the season

I didn't call for his head but he is not beyond criticism is he ?

It seems that you're not allowed to question his ability without upsetting the masses. The players are not the only forces at play when it comes to matchday performance.
    Of course he's not beyond criticism, far from it - just think that calling for Powell to be sacked is attention seeking at best - given the fact that we are a newly promoted side, with little cash in a very strong league with a far from stable management structure.

Goonerhater had it right - he is not a god for putting together an unbeaten run (I hate all the SCP stuff) & he is not a hopeless clown for losing a few - he's a young Charlton manager fighting for his life in a tough league & deserves some support.

We are where we should be at this stage of the season - need to stop the rot though I would be very disappointed if we don't go out there & play our socks off against Derby.
  • Options

I think Frimpong is a good player. He is scratching his head at what's going in around him in our shambles of a team. He's used to a higher level than this and it must be very strange for him. Every game he has got worse (as have the team). It's not working out but I'd keep I'm if we had the choice (which I suspect we don't).

This

• Options
    Just a little question: for a few games, with HULSE & HAYNES up-front we looked great... why CP changed this partnership ???