Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Town 2012 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    They say a team always reflects its manager now Ipswich case that was true I hope that not true in Charlton case but they're are all Powell's players but I remember powelly from his playing days he could, at least pass the ball not hoof it like this lot
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I blame ooh ah.

He did his percentages after the Brighton game and said 0% chance of relegation.

It all went Pete Tong at that moment.

:-)

agreed Len i got sucked in by results, when in all honesty our performances have not been as good as our results and now its levelling out !
  • Options
    Bit confused by the constant long ball, as the team selected looked ideal for playing on the floor.

For long ball I'd have Haynes running off Hulse or Kerm, with an aggressive and energetic midfield of Frimpong and Pritchard behind picking up loose balls and feeding them right or left to any of Wilson or Green on the right and Jacko, Kerkar or Harriot on the left.

If CP doesn't want to play on the ground then I can't see the point of playing people like Stephens or Fuller, or shoving Haynes wide.

I do think the players are trying, even though the performance was largely ineffective.

Was again impressed by Hamer. Starting to have that air of a really high quality keeper with personality.
  • Options
    My worry is that this team needs investment in January and if investment is available I fear that TJ and co. will decide that CP is not the man to trust with that investment. Another couple of poor results will strengthen their hand considerably.
  • Options
    Very poor first half in which we lacked urgency and energy. Midfield was the weakest part of the team. We can't continue trying to play 4-4-2 with 2 or 3 of Green, Stephens and Jackson.

Pritchard showed why he should be starting, he added that urgency and energy in the second half.

I don't like to accuse players not not trying, but I don't think Frimpong is working as hard as he can.

Stephens - so frustrating to have such an inconsistent player in central midfield, a position where you need reliable players. Had hoped he'd step up and push on - some games he looks like he's starting to do that. Today he looked like the player that could be unconvincing in League 1.

Seabourne as I've said before is a centre back playing at left back. As much as full backs need to be good defenders, they also need to be comfortable on the ball and able to pass or carry the ball out of defence.

Hulse had a few decent moments holding up the ball or winning headers that Yann probably wouldn't. He needs some pace alongside him - Haynes is our only option for now, aside from playing a five man midfield. Fuller has obviously lost some of the pace he had a few years ago and is probably too similar to play next to Hulse or Yann - but it's not as if they had quality service from the midfield.

For me we need a proper left back in the team and Wilson & Pritchard starting. Haynes with his pace gives us an outlet and we can switch between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1. Not sure what to do with the rest of the midfield - as I've said before Green, Stephens and Jackson (plus Hollands) are too similar and aren't going to be successful when playing together at this level. Yet we don't have a great deal of other options - Frimpong, who seems to be here to get fit, Kerkar, another inconsistent player and Dervite, a centre back that can do a job in a holding role. If Powell believed Cook and Waggy are ready/will ever be good enough I'd expect to have seen more of them this season.

It's clear we're a lower mid table side with this current squad. We're going to be inconsistent and we'll have few good/poor runs over the course of the season. I'm confident given the opportunity Powell will turn things around, I fail to see how another manager could do a better job with this squad and our resources. I just hope the board give him the chance, including funds to bring in the 3/4 signings we need. If he's sacked we'll be the club that missed out because we couldn't show a bit of patience.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    today came as a surprise to me and i don't think we're all that, so it's prolly a huge awakening to the rose tinted /reading points comparison/we can make the play offs freak brigade

In SCP I trust and my judgement is better than most if not all on here or anywhere in Charlton matters , he deserves till Christmas next year no matter what happens within reason, last seasons miracles deserve that

Danny Green made a misplaced pass early on and as the standard groans were heard you could see the footballing life/confidence disappear from him , far too fragile for the fight we're gonna be in and i'm a fan
    Seabourne ha ha ha @ 42 years old i've still got a chance of playing for us if he can , the dream isn't over yet !
    Hulse put a shift in but Fuller wasn't as influential as he has been before.
    the centre of defence look like pub footballers when a nifty mobile footballer runs at them and that's why they sit so deep cos they can't handle pace

SCP will have to tinker and resort to the unexciting 4-5-1 solid outfit that we will need to grind out results curbesque style

we can't afford to lose on saturday for moral more than anything else
    the team needs investing in and you can tell how poorly we are playing because anyone who isn't playing becomes a better player by not being involved and is the solution , until they turn up in the first team !

0% top 6 ........ 15% 7th-12th.........65% 13th-21st ....... 20% we're going back to hell
  • Options
    Great analysis as usual Scoham.
  • Options
    In defence of Frimpong!!! I thought he was doing ok today yes a few balls went astray and the penalty was poor, although I thought partly caused by the conditions. However, he is playing with the invisible man, Stphens and trying to cover all of central midfield. Of course he is over run, he has the whole of the opposition central midfield to cope with plus those that Green is suppossed to be covering.

It worries me that we have had two rated central midfielders on loan this season and neither have shone, is it them or is it us? I would much rather Frim and Pritch for Saturday
  • Options
    I love Pritch for his enthusiasm and endeavour but he is not the answer.
  • Options

Agreed but I am not sure the answer is at the club so he may have to be the stop gap, but only in central midfield

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Not in the long run perhaps, but he is the only central midfielder currently on the books who is not bereft of pace and would much rather pass the ball a few yards sideways rather than actually run with the thing.
  • Options

What's the question?

The midfield needs the right balance. If we don't have enough quality on the ball at the very least we need players that work well together and make it difficult for the opposition.

Green, Stephens, Hollands, Frimpong and Jackson are all happy to sit/hold (understandably for some, that's their game) and look for a pass. But we also need the midfield to show urgency, hassle the opposition and run with the ball.
  • Options

My worry is that this team needs investment in January and if investment is available I fear that TJ and co. will decide that CP is not the man to trust with that investment. Another couple of poor results will strengthen their hand considerably.

My worry too, especially as he now has the bad example of Forest to encourage him
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    posting after skim reading all comments...it was a good second half! there was hope; half time subs made a difference etc. but the damage was done with two dopey errors in first half ... and a crowd dozing off - too much Christmas pud?
    Nothing will be given to us as a club in this division and we have to fight for it...
    Going forwards, left back should sort itself out and I would play Evina asap with Seabourne on bench and Wilson back soon so if we can just get through to the window then I can see an upside...
    All pressure must go on the club to invest in the squad to ensure a mid table finish... and I don't think we need new strikers either just a midfield who can move the ball around the pitch faster and NOT lose it in their own half! Changing the manager at this stage is a nonsense given that he has signed every first teamer and was not given funds to really strengthen over the summer... his players but simply not enough changes to improve as well as cover for all of the injuries...
    Might sound sanctimonious but would appeal to all to support the team and manager from beginning to end as Saturday may be pivotal? The club needs stability as we find our way at this level and, as per the Cardiff game that has to come from the crowd!
  • Options
    stephens may of had a poor game today but there were a lot of times when he lost the ball due to there being no movement. seabourne is an awful awful left back he like many other left backs like him have somehow made a career at a high level purely through recieving the ball and punting it up the line. never seen him run with it and lacks pace would prefer evina there definitely! maybe even a youth team left back i dont rate seabourne at all!
    pritchard was quality when he came on and outplayed their number 8 who had a great first half
  • Options
    Expected a lot more today. Thought after back-to-back losses, that we would have a bit more fight and motivation but we didn't appear to have any of that.

To be fair to Frimpong, he was one of the few in the first half that showed that fight...but he took it a bit too far and conceded the penalty.

Seaborne was woeful..one of the worst individual performances i've seen in a CAFC shirt over the last two years. Just goes to show how much we miss Wiggins, not necessarily defensively but going forward especially....we have no attacking option down that left when Seaborne is there..he just stands and hoofs it up the line! -Would like to see Cook given another chance at left wing also.

Stephens was pretty poor also.

Pritchard was brilliant when he came on.

Overall McCarthy got his tactics spot on..and credit to Ipswich. Still believe in Powell to turn this around...hope to see him still being the manager in many years to come. Needs to sign at least three players in Jan to make things easier for him though!

• Options
    Wasn't a fan at all of Wilson at first but proved wrong however have always been a fan of Pritchard, and would have those two as my first names on the sheet in regards to midfield.

We need that tenaciousness and endeavour if we are gonna stay in this league.

Add a bit of quality and balance to the side in Jan and we will be fine.

• Options

In SCP I trust and my judgement is better than most if not all on here or anywhere in Charlton matters , he deserves till Christmas next year no matter what happens within reason, last seasons miracles deserve that

Well I'm glad you pointed that out. Would it please you if we all refrained from posting on here until you've told us what our opinion should be?

Out of interest, bearing in mind your judgement is so honed, why is it that you, so regularly, change those percentages you put on here? I mean, if your judgement was so accurate, surely you would never have to change them!

;-)
  • Options
    Powell's post-match comments are spot on:

"No excuses. We were beaten by a better team, especially in the first half. We were very loose and sluggish in our marking.

"Ipswich didn't have chance in the second period but the damage was already done. We were huffing and puffing and put players on, but you need a platform to perform and we were very up and down.

"We went on a superb run but now we have lost three in a row. We have been here before and have responded and we have to do that again."

This is why I have faith in this man..talks more sense than our recent previous managers have!
  • Options
    Disjointed and inept today. We couldn't get the basics right and Ipswich needed to be no more than competent to pick up the three points. We were terribly ponderous on the ball, lacked movement and too often resorted to the long hoof. We need Haynes to play off a central striker - Hulse and Fuller are too similar ( as is Yann ).

Three home wins out of 12 is a terrible return and we are not going to be able to continue to rely upon our away form to keep us out of trouble.

At least Wilson will be back on Saturday and Pritchard's second half drive and energy is likely to earn him a starting place. Only Chris will know if Evina's got 90 minutes in him but he must be sorely tempted to take a punt after poor old Seaborne's efforts.

There is a worrying lack of combination play and good partnerships in the team, although the manager has a limited number of ( Championship standard ) options available to him and he's been very unlucky in losing Wiggins and Fuller for lengthy periods. I think that, rather "tinkering" with the team, he's been desperately casting around for something that hangs together - especially in midfield. What else can he realistically do ? He's had three dips into the loan market and, although a verdict on Frimpong may be premature, none of them have proved a success.

I suspect that we are heading for an anxious second half of the season and somehow doubt that we're going to see much by way of investment in January unless we sell Chris Solly. It is not usually a good time to do business anyway. It will be tough during the next few months but the team does have a lot of grit and some decent players and I think we'll be ok. There will be some work to be done over the Summer and we also have to hope that one or two of our Academy players can make the breakthrough to first team level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The last 3 games, in different ways, have all been very disappointing, and I'm sure SCP will reflect that he's struggled to get the balance of the team right, and that we've played poor football. While you can question aspects of his off the pitch management, it's hardly fair to blame TJ for us playing hoofball
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Kings Hill I'm happy for anyone to have an opinion ,be that right or wrong, even your good self :-)
    I'm just trying to help out those(all of you basically) with less knowledge/intuition than myself as to where I see us ,currently, heading towards
    Each game the situation changes , due to injuries, players form, managers player choices, new arrivals and obviously results , therefore my percentages change .
    I'm just trying to give an overall view after each match of where I see us at at that moment in time heading towards , hopefully a calming influence over the knee jerk reactions of many on here.
    Even at our recent peak of 7 games undefeated I still wasn't convinced that we were gonna be top half despite the results looking like that's where we heading "60% 13th-21st" was my prediction after the Brighton match but I was looking up rather than down as I am now .
    Hope this helps , or you can choose to ignore my views but that will be your loss :-)
  • Options

In SCP I trust and my judgement is better than most if not all on here or anywhere in Charlton matters ,

I think you may have had too many egg nogs. Thanks for making laugh anyway !
  • Options
    Feel sorry for Powell in that his options were limited in midfield with Wilson out and JJ being protected from a ban, but any manager who honestly thinks starting with Danny Green is the best option doesn't get my sympathy.

Admittedly I have never rated him but come on, the guy is playing 2/3 divisions above his level of talent and shouldn't be anywhere near our squad in this division, the game just goes on around him.

On paper Stephens and ping pong look the best central midfield formation but Stephens as I have said many many times is a August/April luxury player when the pitches are nice and you have that extra time on the ball, if Villa offer 250k I will drive him there myself.

Back to basics on Saturday, Evina in, 5 in the middle and Hulse up top we need to stop the rot and I will take a 0-0 now if we can nick one all the better.

Powell got it wrong with the formation but no one else I would rather have managing the side.

Need a Cardiff like atmosphere on Saturday...
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    CP isnt a God when we go 7 games unbeaten and isnt a twonk when we loose 3 on the bonk. Our problem is that he is learning at this level.
    BWP--Fuller---Kermo---Hulse---Haynes some combo of those is good enough at this level. Im not saying it will get us in the Prem but its good enough for mid table at least.
    We all know its the midfield thats the issue. Im sure CP does as well. The worry is he seems not to have any idea on a way forward re this problem.

Been said on here (and it makes sense) that Frimpong is coasting as he has the African Cup in his mind. He was supposed to be the midfield ball winner --destroyer----please wet cardboard is harder than this guy ---DENCH ? no the word your looking for is SHIT-----coast off back to the Goonershit asap.

Next two games pick a side--- STICK to it-- go for their throats. To many sides are coming to us knowing we wont hit them hard and play such a sloooooooooooooow game. Smash into them knock em over.

Two games CP that we have to win.

If you was the "investor" and you had just seen the last few games would you give a million or two to CP ?
  • Options
    Nice videos Stig, thanks!
  • Options
    how bad was Ipswichs goalkeeper he was trying to gift us an equaliser missing everything from corners, flapping , ipswich were not a good side and were there for the taking in the 2nd half