Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Town 2012 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Muck today for me. I think we have a big problem when we don't have the ball. No pressure on the opposition, not working hard enough out of possession!! They almost always pressurise us when we have the ball and it leads to hoofing, wayward passing and individual errors. And then we sit back and let them play!!! We are making ordinary teams look better than they are and for me this is why we do not dominate any games.
    Lee Martin ran Solly ragged in the first half cos Green was doing naff all to help! No pressure! Martin never played that well for us because the opposition didnt allow him to. We need to do that! So no surprise when Green went off as far as I'm concerned. Our guys just aren't comfortable enough in possession when under pressure and panic or chaos usually ensues. Seabourne was very poor today and his confidence drained away from him as the game progressed. Stephens wasnt alert enough either. Pritchard though was a godsend however and I'm delighted we have him. A real trier but we need a team of them. I really believe if we get at the oppostion quicker we can disjoint their game , improve our own through more and better possession and start to pick up more points at home. I hope so anyway.
  • Options
    Struggling to recall a more inept/disinterested display from two centre-midfielders, than that 1st half performance from Frimpong and Stephens. Not the slightest intention from them to join in with the strikers. Pritchard showed them how to do it in the 2nd half by simply getting about the pitch and not sitting back posing. Powell must surely see that 4-4-2 can only work with Pritchard as one of the centre-mids, otherwise it's got to be 4-5-1.
  • Options
    Say what you like about Seabourne but his control of that high ball into the crowd was the sign of a unique talent.
  • Options
    As an aside, if only we had got dj Campbell on loan instead of Ipswich, a proven goalscorer at this level who has helped turn their season around
  • Options

As an aside, if only we had got dj Campbell on loan instead of Ipswich, a proven goalscorer at this level who has helped turn their season around

Are you serious? Were you there? You saw his penalty?

• Options
    edited December 2012

PL54 said:

Ignore it

Someone didn't dare to blame the manager did they ?

No - that would be heresay and no-one is allowed to criticise CP................remember what happened in the Curbs era (c 1991-2006) you would get branded a heratic and not allowed to post for a week as punishment.
    Yep, and then clueless moaners like you got your way and boring old Curbs was ousted. Remind me how that one turned out Golfie?
    Curbs ousted ??? I think you may be trying to re-write history. Try reading his autobiography for the resaon why Curbs left. In case you can't read then I'll tell you. He didn't want to sign another contract and wanted to see his existing one out (
    I am not sure Curbs autobio is an insight into anything much, and certainly not how and why he left.
  • Options

Say what you like about Seabourne but his control of that high ball into the crowd was the sign of a unique talent.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
  • Options

Sometimes Powell tinkers a bit too often. However, it is very rare that any manager plays the same players, formation and tactics every game.

We have been undone by injuries, and more recently suspensions. We have a squad that has been 'improved' upon from last year's with two ageing strikers, a young midfielder who seems to think he's the new Paul Ince but without the hunger and ability, the fourth choice Southampton left back, a youngster released by Sunderland who spent time on loan at Carlisle last season...and Lawrie Wilson who was slated before he'd even kicked a ball for us but is now one of our most important players.

Powell has proved that he knows how to spot a player. And that these players would run through walls for him. But he is struggling to find to right blend at the moment. There is clearly internal shenanigans going on. I do not know whether he is totally in control of the football side of things. Probably not.

But, when, after three games of admittedly poor football and poor results, there are supporters saying he should go, then I do question their sense. We have a squad of players who, collectively, are at best a lower mid table Championship team.

And to my mind there is only one man who deserves the opportunity and time to move us forward.

good post sir john

• Options

In actually thought Stephens had a decent game - at least he wanted the ball and I don't blame him for their 2nd goal - who was it that decided to pass too him in the first place - don't they know you shouldn't pass it across your own box ???

I will also stick up for Danny Green - he played half the first 45 mins on the left for gawd's sake - someone tell CP that Danny Green's crossing foot is his RIGHT !!!

Although I think Pritchard is out of his depth at least today he showed passion and some passing ability - but I still don't think he is the answer.

Haynes was probably my MOTM (followed by Pritchard) - ran his socks off and not in his natural position - another case of square pegs & round holes.............whilst on the subject why play Seabourne if Evina is on the bench ???

We all love CP and he will remain a legend - but sometimes you have to ask is he the right man for the job ? Sometimes there is no room for sentiment & maybe a few years managing a team that doesn't hold the emotion that CAFC does may help him ?

Okay, so Stephens and Green were decent, Haynes was MOM, Pritchard was out of his depth and Powell out? Good thing I realised who it was posting this and therefore knew it was a pile of shit.

• Options
    I see the bloke who appointed O'Driscoll five months ago has now sacked him with Forest one point off the play off places.
    Madness.
    These owners and their decision making seems to fly in the face of all logic and sense.
    Lets consider the decision making of Jimenez. He decides he can get more than two million pounds from Aston Villa for Stephens, and they would be bound to pay because Ashley Westwood is supposedly crap. Villa sign Westwood. This man is the person able to make a decision regarding Chris Powell future at Charlton.
    Is Jimenez able to make the right decision and leave Powell alone and try to support him with resources?
    Plenty of posters here are making snide remarks about those of us who post in support of Chris. Not needed. if those posters want to point out what Chris is doing wrong then fair enough, it is their right...just as it is the right of Powell supporters to give their point of view.
    If there really are any Powell out people posting here, can you suggest a better alternative? Maybe you can, such as Poyet, Coyle, Di Canio or O'Driscoll...I would say a list such as that is either unrealistic, or unlikely to do better than Chris Powell given the same resources.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sometimes Powell tinkers a bit too often. However, it is very rare that any manager plays the same players, formation and tactics every game.

We have been undone by injuries, and more recently suspensions. We have a squad that has been 'improved' upon from last year's with two ageing strikers, a young midfielder who seems to think he's the new Paul Ince but without the hunger and ability, the fourth choice Southampton left back, a youngster released by Sunderland who spent time on loan at Carlisle last season...and Lawrie Wilson who was slated before he'd even kicked a ball for us but is now one of our most important players.

Powell has proved that he knows how to spot a player. And that these players would run through walls for him. But he is struggling to find to right blend at the moment. There is clearly internal shenanigans going on. I do not know whether he is totally in control of the football side of things. Probably not.

But, when, after three games of admittedly poor football and poor results, there are supporters saying he should go, then I do question their sense. We have a squad of players who, collectively, are at best a lower mid table Championship team.

And to my mind there is only one man who deserves the opportunity and time to move us forward.

good post sir john

yes - pretty much says it all, calling for his head is absurd - just hope we have some funds to strengthen in January &/or avoid losing some of the beter players (imagine if Solly goes)

it's a big gamble for the owners, trust Powell & give him some cash or face a huge fight for survival in the second half of the season

• Options
    problem is we are playing stephens who clearly does not want to be here and is hoping for a move in jan.seaborne is a league 1 player who just isnt good enough for this league.powell needs money in jan big time
  • Options
    How were Reading doing at this stage?
  • Options

Son of Berry (Les)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

What a shocker! Before seeing a ball kickedm I thought the side CP put out was spot-on in my humble amateur opinion.

At one point Hulse had to sprint to try and get onto his own flick on, everyone else was just ambling about!

Seaborne - what the f--k? CP sends out the team - he couldn't possibly have imagined the lad would play so badly.

I got off my sick bed for that?

To answer Ken (about 300 posts ago), asking the reason why Fuller wasn't subbed, I saw the conversation between Powelly and the Doc - the Doc said "he wants to stay on", so that's what happened.

• Options
    maybe tme for some youngsters to get a chance.
  • Options
    We're a bit crap.

CP is not the worlds's greatest manager but sacking him and no doubt getting someone worse is not the answer.

Frimpong is not remotely dench.

Seaborne is not very skilful.

Stephens is a dozy b***ard.

We look like relegation fodder.

Can't stomach it if we lose to Derby.

Biggest nightmare is the Massives overtaking us.
  • Options
    Then thing is .. we are playing in a VERY tough and competitive division with not very many quality players .. and what I have seen, a few of the 'quality' players we have do not appear to be commmitted to the cause. Overall the players (whoever is selected) are working hard, most just lack the necessary class for this division .. we are not getting stuffed, losing by the odd goal or 2 .. against the Owls, a blinding strike and a last minute clincher .. today against a side which man for man was better than us and didn't win by much .. we need strengthening, the effort and sweat evident so far this season will only get us so far. When I saw that no money (real money that is) was forthcoming for new players I was fearful for this season .. the standard of our football is poor but we are roughly where I thought we might be. I for one am keeping the faith and hope that we get a few new faces (quality faces hopefully) in during January. Slagging off the manager and players now will get us nowhere .. the fans need patience and some understanding of our true situation
  • Options

How were Reading doing at this stage?

By this point they were on a four match winning run or something similar. We're about ten points behind them now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I blame ooh ah.

He did his percentages after the Brighton game and said 0% chance of relegation.

It all went Pete Tong at that moment.

:-)
  • Options
    A fair few very good posts on here since I last looked- honest fans talking a lot of sense , with only the odd twinge of a knee jerk reaction.

Sir John's stands out as saying it like it is for me. 99% of the season so far without an extremely influential left back who most would bet on continuing his progression to the Championship with aplomb - this in itself has disrupted the team the most IMHO. Since Wiggy's departure from the scene against Palarse, the gaffer has tried several options open to him and as such, has had to tinker with other positions , resulting in some being asked to play a different role to their favoured one. Just think of the number who have been asked to fill in & do a job....

This, coupled as others have stated , with injuries and more recently suspensions has inevitably meant an unsettled team with players not aware from one game to the next where or if they will play. The manager can only utilise what he has in his locker... a cupboard akin to Old Mrs Hubbard's , bereft of new blood he was seemingly promised during the summer. And yes, as some are keen to remind us, he IS still learning his trade and will make mistakes. He does not profess to be Superman.

Finally, as sjh rightly points out, we do not know whether he is totally in control of the football side of things.... nor do we know the degree of pressure he faces from "the owners" to progress the team . Rumours of the goalposts being moved from wanting promotion " in the next few seasons" to " expectations of promotion THIS season" may well be not just rumours. IF there is money available to spend in January, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that TJ might decide to go for broke and start the new year with some new players and a new boss. Who knows .

It goes without saying that SCP remains THE man for Charlton, and for me. The players he brought in during the summer of 2011 prove that he knows what's needed to get results over a season . Give him the same opportunity in January , light the "red" touch paper and stand back.

TJ needs to take a leaf from the Lifers' book of Proverbs....and keep the faith .
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Since Wiggy's departure from the scene against Palarse, the gaffer has tried several options open to him and as such, has had to tinker with other positions, resulting in some being asked to play a different role to their favoured one. Just think of the number who have been asked to fill in & do a job....

Wiggins
    Solly
    Evina
    Kerkar
    Seaborne
    Jackson(???)

Madness. Curse of the left back. We'll have Powell out of retirement and in a red shirt soon.

• Options

Since Wiggy's departure from the scene against Palarse, the gaffer has tried several options open to him and as such, has had to tinker with other positions, resulting in some being asked to play a different role to their favoured one. Just think of the number who have been asked to fill in & do a job....

Wiggins
    Solly
    Evina
    Kerkar
    Seaborne
    Jackson(???)

Madness. Curse of the left back. We'll have Powell out of retirement and in a red shirt soon.

In Hollywood that would already have happened!
  • Options
    Sorry, just wondering why Sullivan was on the bench today, rather than Button?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I can see it now...

It's the last day of the season at home to Millwall. With an injury crisis at the Valley, all of our possible left backs down to U9 level are sidelined. Powell takes to the field to fill in for one final game.

It comes to the 89th minute, we need a goal to secure our status at the expense of the Spanners........

• Options
    Lack of quality.lack of desire
  • Options

A player that can produce the unexpected is always an asset.

Within reason.........
  • Options

A player that can produce the unexpected is always an asset.

Within reason.........
    A pass to one of his team mates would be 'unexpected' from Seabourne from now on. A truly woeful performance. He surely won't be present on Sat
  • Options
    My first game in 11 months and I was shocked how dreadful we were in the first half. Cannot understand how or why Pritchard was dropped. Frimpong is unfit and "going through the motions", he's not interested. Seaborne was awful. Haynes needs to play in the middle alongside either Hulse, Fuller, or Kermo. There was a complete lack of tempo or urgency until Pritchard came on. Whatever happened to the attractive football we were playing at the start of last season? We now rely solely on hoof ball and have forgotten how to play on the ground. Kermo also needs to lose 3/4 kilos.