Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Town 2012 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Dan ‏@ramblingaddick
    What is it about the referees we get? Another incompetent muppet today, and the linesman on the Easy Stand side was unbelievably shit.
  • Options
    Worry is that these defeats are coming from sides who we were comfortably above - and they are all showing improvements in form (mostly at our expense) while we are losing ours. All of these matches could be considered "6 pointers". Of course we are going to lose more matches in this league, but these ones we needed to win to keep that cushion underneath our arses.
  • Options

Sorry folks time to say thank you chris but off you go
    He needs to drop down and learn his trade
    If he stays he will take us back down where most of these players belong

Ridiculous comment! But the sad thing is unless the board give Powell some money next week I cannot see Powell staying!
  • Options

4-5-1 please. Back to grinding out the results.

Pritchard, Jacko and Stephens/Dervite in the middle. Wilson and Haynes out wide and Hulse the target man.

Evina in for Seaborne.

Lots of valid points I agree with but the fans will whinge like mad if we don't play 442 at home , although our midfield is not strong enough to play 442.

I expected a lot of Stephens today , thought he had a very poor game along with quite a few others.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Greenie said:

Sorry folks time to say thank you chris but off you go
    He needs to drop down and learn his trade
    If he stays he will take us back down where most of these players belong

Ridiculous comment! But the sad thing is unless the board give Powell some money next week I cannot see Powell staying!
    Unlike PP I don't think he should go, but I fear he may. I don't see too much evidence of loyalty or patience in our current administration.
  • Options
    What does Stephen's have to do to be subbed.

There are quite a few parallels with the last days of Parkinson.

Seaborne worse than Francis.

• Options
    Midfield is an absolute train crash. Stephens shows no urgency and as I see it is only good for playing a square pass. Gave away the ball for their winning goal. Up front we are ponderous and sorry but apart from trying hard Haynes brought nothing to the table. Green is suffering with confidence and his final ball was awful. Martin tied Solly down quite effectively until midway through second half. Seabourne can't break past the half way line. If you read this Mr. JIminez please give Chrissy some money. What he has to work with is not up o scratch. Unless we get four bodies in I will be astonished if we don't spend the next five months looking over our shoulder.
  • Options
    So many passengers. Midfield non existant. Seabourne did a pretty good Francis impression.

Worried of Eltham.
  • Options
    Saints fans right about Seabourne then|. When is Wiggins back?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously there are other issues but the midfield has to be addressed in Jan. I was really excited about what Frimpong could bring to us but he's been a bit of a disappointment.
  • Options
    I think Frimpong would do very well in a tight well organised midfield. At present he is just being overrun and has absolutely no support.
  • Options
    Not a single one if those midfielders is good enough for this division bar frimpong who was still a bit of a liability. Seaborne put in a Simon Francis performance but only so much you can do when all your left backs are injured. Team as a whole doesn't know whether to attack, probe, or slow the game down. Doesn't look like there is any game plan
  • Options
    MattD said:

Not a single one if those midfielders is good enough for this division bar frimpong who was still a bit of a liability. Seaborne put in a Simon Francis performance but only so much you can do when all your left backs are injured. Team as a whole doesn't know whether to attack, probe, or slow the game down. Doesn't look like there is any game plan

Evina was on the bench!
  • Options
    Not good enough didn't look interested from the start no fight or no passion.. fairplay to Ipswich though good result for them.. Can't see where are next win is gonna come from 2 tough games in the next 6 days..
  • Options
    The thing it's easy to single out Dan Seaborne today because he was shocking but when he first joined us I thought he was good for the first 3 games, got injured and then came back and got worse and worse with each game, I hope Evina is fit, and how far away from full fitness is Wiggo?

I know a lot of people have slated Jackson this season and Kerkar although he's been our top assist provider has also been poor I wonder if Wiggins made Jackson look a better player last season.
  • Options
    Stephens yet again was a disaster. We cannot afford to keep playing him on the off chance that he'll produce that one piece of magic every 5 or 6 games whilst effectively playing with 10 men the rest of the time. Seabourne was utter crap today and I was amazed that SCP didn't bring Evina on at some stage just to steady the ship. Pritchard was MotM by a mile and Solly was his usual reliable self, albeit reduced mainly to defensive work today, at least until the final half hour. Green was disinterested and this was typified when Fuller held the ball up excellently in the first half and was looking to lay it off into the acres of space on the right only to see Green standing on the bloody halfway line! If I never see him or Stephens in a Charlton shirt again it will be too soon!
  • Options
    Frimpong wasn't quite #dench but more #s*it or #liability. That was one of the stupidest penalties I have ever seen, I don't think anyone had any argument with that. Typical loan signing from a higher division who thinks they have to much swag to sweat when they play.

Stephens needs to be reported to the FA, I am sure he is putting bets on the other team, we seem to be playing with 10 men with Stephens playing for them most of the time.

Seaborne... After that performance his morale will be at an all time low, and if it isn't it should be, absolute joke.

Pritchard has such a good work rate and I was really pleased by what I saw from him today.
  • Options
    What's happened to Waggy? Has he emigrated or something. Must be worth a start if only because he has something to prove to CP.
  • Options
    Pritchard, JJ, Hollands, Stevo, Rasak, Frimpong, Dervite. How many more CMs in a 4-4-2 do we have to try before the penny drops? It's not the players but the shape. Can Tutt-tutt give an insight?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Damage was done in the 1st half. 2 dog shit goals given away. We were so slow out of the blocks.

Seabourne was poor, cue scapegoat comments. Frimpong done nothing. Thought hulse played well. We are just too slow. No urgency.

We gave it a good go in the second half but it was all too late. Not going to get too down. Just hope results go for us today.
  • Options
    MattD got it nailed, there's simply no game plan apart from Route one to Hulse/Fuller/Yann. The best move in the dismal 1st half was the ball out to Seaborne to Haynes who crossed - that was all on the floor, we can do it, why persist with the long ball in the air?!
    Crosses should be whipped in behind the defence for our strikers to run to or put behind for our corners by their defence is another strategy I'd like to see more of.
    Finally when our centre midfield has the ball our forwards are pretty much static - why not create openings in the middle by backing into their defenders and then suddenly running away bringing them away with them...
    Fear it's the players not listening or implementing the plans as I find it hard to believe Powell are sending hem out without any plans...
  • Options
    The team has needed addition of 3 to 4 quality players for the last 8 to 9 months. An improvement of quality in midfield both at the centre and at left half and add in a consistent / quick goal scorer then the team would be challenging top 6.

If TJ or the current owners think that this current squad is going to be challenging for automatic promotion without investment, they are being disingenuous or delusional.

Until improvements in quality, Charlton should be playing 451, pack the midfield, work hard and scrap point to safety, at least be difficult to beat. It may not be pretty but it is a damn sight prettier than being in league one, which is where 442 / 433 is going to lead us with the current set up and playing staff.
  • Options
    Stephens was the biggest disappointment for me today, notwithstanding an excellent free kick. His distribution was generally poor, he didn't look for the ball enough, and the second killer goal was entirely his fault. He showed why Powell was happy to take the Villa money, but was overruled by Jiminez. If you are daft enough to talk about sacking Powell, you need to take such events into account before opening your mouth.

• Options
    Someone said bring pritchard and kerkar back in. Really? That will eventually just turn out even worse.

In reality we have no player of real quality, all the players we have now lack a football brain expect our right back!
    There's no andy reid or george boy type players in our team, just a team of hard workers who know their position and stick to it without trying anything out the blue. Yes it worked last season in league 1 but you don't need any quality to be succesful in that league unlike this one.

Get rid of stephens frimpong kerkar green hollands seabourne pritchard and sad to say it but jackson just isn't good enough, a goal here and there from him doesn't patch up the fact that he has no real qualities to be a midfielder and is way to slow to play in defence in this league.
  • Options
    charlton are wank!
  • Options
    Pritchard is the best battle/urgency/makes the game tick type player we have. He also 'wants it', which we need at the moment.

A run in CM for him would be good for the team imo.
  • Options

Pritchard, JJ, Hollands, Stevo, Rasak, Frimpong, Dervite. How many more CMs in a 4-4-2 do we have to try before the penny drops? It's not the players but the shape. Can Tutt-tutt give an insight?

Is Tutt Tutt Alex Dyer then?
  • Options
    Have to agree with most of the above. Came away saying NO-ONE but Solly should play for us if their surname begins with "S"......One of those today should never wear a Charlton shirt again and the other must have been dreaming of Birmingham ! And I was one of those saying we were poor in midfield without him !

Unfortunately, SCP will need to tinker with his starting eleven again on Saturday - another match with a different line up isn't ideal but , alas, necessary . Evina or Wilson must be put in at the back and Pritch must start . The rest ? I haven't a clue. Always feel that Dervite is worth a place though.

For the first time this season, I'm dreading the next game, especially as will have the whole family there for the first time ever and grandson Billy is one of the mascots....

IMHO there are 2 ingredients needed to turn this run of defeats on its head...Firstly, as SHG rightly states, some cash is needed in January for the gaffer to reinforce the squad which I'm sure he would spend wisely and secondly, Lifers need to start being more pessimistic on the " thoughts on forthcoming games" threads . I did warn everyone prior to Sheff Weds but most on here continued to predict a win today ....so I'll start this next one off , shall I ?

Charlton Athletic 0 Derby County 6

( Can't believe I wrote that but will keep the faith !)

• Options
    edited December 2012
    People talk about players coming to Charlton and beocming "Charltonised". Sadly I think Seabourne has come in and "Seabournised" our entire defence! Lol

It is frustrating to lose on a day we played a team as poor as Ipswich, if we had turned up with passion and fight we would have won even if we had been off form. To simply not turn up for 45 mins is unacceptable.

Attitudes needs improving within the team and quick.