Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Orient 1 - 0 Charlton - Post Match Views

edited December 2011 in General Charlton
On the face of it, a poor decision by Hamer to come when he shouldn't looks like costing us. But i'm really not 100% convinced the outcome would have been different with 11. Orient seemed much more sparky and up for it it than us for the majority of the match, and it was only really the last ten mins when we took a few defensive risks that we looked like we could nick something. Throughout the pitch we seemed to lose individual battles tonight.

But its no drama, today wasn't our day, the same way it was our day against Yeovil. There are going to be a hell of a lot more twists and turns in the second half of the season so buckle your seatbelt, and STAY CALM.

Comments

• JT SAID:

Still had the belief we could get something at 0-0, but as soon as that
    goal went in it could have been 3 or 4 at HT.  Great last 15 and we
    could have nicked a point there, but still 4 points clear at the top - i
    certainly would have taken that going into 2012. 

We'll get all the shite from Wendies, but with Llera at the back, they're best just ignored until May

• Thought it was really poor, we looked incredibly off the pace but felt we had enough to get a point. Great first half to the season, roll on Monday!
  • Cheers AFKA. 

Lost to a bloody deflected goal too
  • Deep breath - roll on Monday.

Happy New Year everyone!
  • I agree, think we might have struggled with 11 today. Every team has there off day and this was it. Least we have an excuse, player sent off and goal deflected in. Glad to see Pritchard play, thought he made the difference and lifted what was a sluggish performance.
  • Quality came too late, should have tightened up the midfield earlier. 51 points at the turn of the year, we can't complain. We did well the last 15 minutes.
  • Still 4 points clear. 3 points Monday and we keep that gap.
  • Agreed - hard to imagine that the one man advantage was the only reason we lost tonight. But if we only turn in half a dozen performances like that out of 46 games, we'll do fine. Just hope the inevitable negativity that a chunk of our 'fans' cannot help but dish out is outweighed by the positivity of the rest of us...

Full backs were great, and whether it was our shape or Pritchard himself, we looked good for a chunk of the game. Jackson looked a little off the pace after just coming back - maybe he'd have been brought off earlier if we hadn't had enforced changes. Morrison was useful as a target man too.
  • Thought we looked leggy throughout.

Wiggins and Solly were superb.

Midfield poor, missed Green as we had very little quality on the ball. Jackson imo has been rushed back. Perhaps Ephraim being ill forced the issue?

Would have had Evina on the bench to cover Jackson, he could easily have come off at half time.

Hayes has shown why we need a Leon Clarke type on the bench. He was dreadful.

Sullivan looked like a bloke plucked from the crowd. Flapping and no communication at all.

Hopefully we get the same reaction we did to the Stevenage game.
  • Do we think we will take appeal against the red card ? Could we win it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• only issue with the sending off was is Morrison covering or not.
  • Thank heavens Lisbie and Mooney aren't very good - otherwise  Orient would have got 6 or 7.

We got stronger the longer it stayed at 0-1 and in that last ten mins I thought we were going to equalise.

• Substitutions were pretty poor. Jackson (or BWP) should've been the player replaced after 6 minutes and then there was no point taking off BWP when you're looking for a goal in the last 20 minutes. We had a couple of chances towards the end that he would've buried.

Hamer is a much better keeper than Sullivan and you can see that the back four believe that. I had my heart in my mouth with every set piece Sully flapped at, but credit for a couple of decent saves that he made.

Think Slade gave Powell a tactical lesson. Didn't make a wrong decision throughout whereas Powell started with a poor decision: rushing Jackson back into the team after only two days of training. Hindsight is great and all but why take the risk? And then why not realise that Jackson will be shot to pieces after 60 minutes, and replace him rather than Wagstaff who will run up and down our problematic right side all game.
    I'm not certain but don't refs give instant red cards for 'keepers
    handling intentionally outside the area? It's a rule I've never, ever
    agreed with if it is true!

• edited December 2011
    I thought we were 2nd rate throughout. Playing like that we would still have lost with a full side. Orient looked very good & if only they could shoot straight we could have lost by 5 or more. Need to just forget this one & move onto the Brentford game on Monday. And make no mistake, Brentford will be really looking forward to it, having come back from 3-0 down today to clinch a draw in injury time agsinst MK Dons. It's going to be another really tough London derby. 
  • Crucial decision for me, was powell leaving two forwards on and narrowing it. Orient got so many crosses in first half and the forwards never had the outlets wide when they did the the ball. Oh well, it's only our second defeat. Not a disaster.

Dawson looked a class act for them, as did Lisbie first half.

Those of you who thought the decision on Hamer was wrong really need to read the laws of the game.

One point - why do we have a goalkeeping sub? I thought Taylor was a more than capable keeper.
  • Felt our luck was out tonight but credit to Orient who played it perfectly once Hamer had walked. Solly and Wiggins were awesome but I felt that taking Waggy off was the wrong choice given Jacksons obvious lack of fitness. Left us too much chasing and I thought unbalanced. Would have used Hughes and not Pritchard to allow us more possession from midfield so in general I thought CP got it wrong tonight. Still four clear and proudly top. Would not have thought that back in August. COYR
  • If we had 11 we would have been able to close down. Fair play to Orient they utilised our lack of a winger but we just didn't have an outlet without Wagstaff. Was still a Poor performance but I can't fault the effort from the boys. Also shows how poo our bench is even though Pritchard was promisiuung.
  • Oh well it all went for us on Boxing Day now its gone against us today. Lets regroup and have a second half of the season as good as the first.

• Thought Solly and Wiggins played well, but Taylor and Morrison were somewhat ropey. Not sure how much that was down to them not having confidence in Sullivan behind them, although I thought he got better as the game went on. Midfield seemed to be all over the place (and not in a good way) although I thought Pritchard looked lively when he came on. And absolutely no-one had their shooting boots on today.

But hey, we had 10 men for most of the match, it's only our second league defeat of the season, and both of those were away from home. No need to slit wrists, but perhaps dialling down the "we're x points clear" gloating on other teams' boards might be an idea.
  • Sponsored links:

Not really. Otherwise the last defender could a\lways argue the keeper was 'covering'. The rule is whether it's an obvious goal scoring opportunity; which you have to admit it was.
  • Last time we lost a league game, we went on to win six league games in a row.
  • Dissapointing but 2 games lost in the first half of the season is pretty good to be honest. Let's hope we recover. Beat brentford and stay where we belong.

Wendies will be knocking one out but were top and they have the best of llera to look forward to
  • Felt that Jackson should have been the one to be subbed long time since heplayed but at the end it clearly lays at hamers feet what was he doing no need to be there enjoy your evening people
  • First game I have seen on internet and was disappointed after all the good things I have been reading but tough to play with 10 men for so long........oh well onwards and upwards
  • I would have left Wagstaff on, he is one of the fittest players in the squad - thought Jackson looked knackered early on & could have done with the rest prior to Brentford...

Solly is excellent, every time i see him he looks at least Championship quality.

As someone else said thank god for Mooney's inability to hit the target, he does everything right up to the finale.

Was underwhelmed by the contributions of both Hollands & Russell, we lacked bite in midfield throughout.

Disappointing to lose, but 4 points clear & with hopefully some judicious strengthening of the squad to come, cannot complain in the slightest about what CP has achieved so fat this season.
  • Thanks to whoever posted the link for the stream, by the way,
  • Sullivan is a real concern imho. I really pray that Hamer stays injury free because Sullivan inspires no confidence whatsoever. Great save from Mooney but goalkeeping is much more than that and I'm sorry but Sully doesn't command his box at all. Even after the loss that is my only real concern.
  • 3rd disappointing result out of 4, hopefully we can turn this little blip around think we would've got something if it was 11 vs 11

Tough game now vs a Brentford side who came from 3 behind today hopefully BWP finds his goalscoring boots.
  • If at the start of August someone had offered 51 points from 23 games at New Year with just two defeats I'd have bitten their hands off.

What happened today happened and is not really worth getting wound up about or analysing too much.

The bigger worry for me is the effect of almost 90 minutes with 10 men when we have a home match in less than 48 hours. We don't want to mess that game up.