Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

OLDHAM AWAY

Comments

• Don't know if it's been mentioned but Charlton have taken another 700 tickets making a total of 1,400 with the option of more.
  • Oohahh - how many will we take?
    Is that good enough support?
  • what 1,400?
  • What pubs are people going to before? Not sure whether to go to one in Manchester or around the ground
  • Anyone know what the closest rail station is and how close it is to the ground?
  • ALL OF THE LOCAL STATIONS ARE SHUT FOR ENGINEERING WORKS. BEST BET IS A BUS/CAB FROM MANCHESTER PICADILLY.

Read the programme, any of the other threads where this is currently mentioned or, perish the thought, have a look on the internet yourself!

Now then, can anyone tell me where the nearest station to Oldham is?
  • you going?
  • Mills Hill is the closest - 45 minute walk from there
  • Undecided. Want to but am waiting on decisions from a few of my lot first. Been there before - right dump - and the train situation ain't great. But IF we did make it and I wasn't there I'd be gutted.

You?
  • looks likely yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: GNelson[/cite]What pubs are people going to before? Not sure whether to go to one in Manchester or around the ground

Only pub near the ground is this one as far as I can see.

Map tingem :o)
  • I saw us draw 1-1 up there in the 90's (Kim Grant) and vowed never to go back, horrible place, we got lost and every local we asked sent us to the rugby ground.

Trying to persuade a couple of mates to tag along, in which case, early drive to Manchester, dump bags in hotel, plot up there with a few beers and jump in a cab to Oldham.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'm going , i went there when andy jones missed an absolute sitter .. it may have even been on a plastic pitch

was that the night we ended up in a curry house and a bloke came in who turned out to be the referee for our up and coming game against newcastle?
  • Does anyone know if the commercial centre is actually open today? They've got my postcode wrong so I can't order for Oldham online and i've just rung up and sat in the same position in the queue for over 10 minutes... would be nice to have a message saying it's closed!
  • Shut today mate, still can't decide to go or not myself!
  • edited May 2010
    bloody hell 12 minutes on a mobile I spent on that... puzzlingly enough I was moving through the queue at one point... throwing money away!

Why the hell can they not have a message at the beginning saying it's shut? Still what else do I expect?

Suppose you have a longer journey though!
  • Well it's only an assumption but at the very bottom of the article re: tickets for the play offs it mentions that 'Standard opening hours will apply this week after Bank Holiday Monday', but it would not have hurt putting a pre-recorded message on there FFS.

Journey doesn't bother me, it's just the fact I'm such a jinx! One win in about 15 away trips I'm sure, probably take the coach too, it being the cheaper option.
  • Hope BDL isn't thinking of going.....
  • Gonna try and go now, £67 from Euston though, plus a taxi from Manchester Piccadilly to Oldham, plus a match ticket isn't going to be cheap unless anyone else has a better idea. Near enough always drive to northern games so the trains and how to get cheap tickets is lost on me. Hope you can still drink on the trains as well!
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Gonna try and go now, £67 from Euston though, plus a taxi from Manchester Piccadilly to Oldham, plus a match ticket isn't going to be cheap unless anyone else has a better idea. Near enough always drive to northern games so the trains and how to get cheap tickets is lost on me. Hope you can still drink on the trains as well!

You can drink on the trains and not on the coaches. I usually train it, but as left it so late will, take my bi-annual coach trip on the Valley Express.
    It's £20 which is good if you're skint.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Gonna try and go now, £67 from Euston though, plus a taxi from Manchester Piccadilly to Oldham, plus a match ticket isn't going to be cheap unless anyone else has a better idea. Near enough always drive to northern games so the trains and how to get cheap tickets is lost on me. Hope you can still drink on the trains as well!

Try the trainline.com for cheap train tickets
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Gonna try and go now, £67 from Euston though, plus a taxi from Manchester Piccadilly to Oldham, plus a match ticket isn't going to be cheap unless anyone else has a better idea. Near enough always drive to northern games so the trains and how to get cheap tickets is lost on me. Hope you can still drink on the trains as well!

Try the trainline.com for cheap train tickets

You can do it a bit cheaper if you get an early train ie 8.20 Euston, but you're still looking at £51 min for 2 singles, which is why I'm now coaching it with Covered End Junior.
  • Booked my train tickets, bloody expensive but due to uni exams doubt I will be able to make an away play off game unless it is Milwall so possibly last away trip of season. I am done by 20th, so the final if we get there is no problem.
  • edited May 2010
    Never used Valley Express before, definitely good value for money and i'm sure very good service but can't stand being stuck on coach for hours, especially a dry one! Plus I like to get there early and leave a bit later to have a few beers. I realise I sound like an alcoholic, i'm not honest! Just wondered if anyone had a site or something that had discounted rail travel or something or the official price is the official price and tough luck if it's too expensive.

Oh just seen the above replies, cheers.
  • Out:
    07:35 (Sat 08 May)
    London Euston (EUS) to Manchester Piccadilly (MAN)

Return:
    20:35 (Sat 08 May)
    Manchester Piccadilly (MAN) to London Euston (EUS)

Journey price
    £55.10

That's not too bad actually, if not a little early! But much cheaper than anything leaving later. Thanks for that website.
  • Question re: the coaches the club are putting on. I know in theory they are 'dry' but are we saying everyone is checked prior to getting on? Never got 'em before so just wondering!!! ;op
  • Whipping out a crate and getting merry would probably offend the rest of the coach though!
  • want to go but cant really afford it what with the liekly play offs coming up :( decisions, decisions
  • Was there years ago, when we lost our away kit and had to play in there away kit, as with a few others need to be shrewd with cash with playoff home game and maybe wembley comming before payday. Will be there in spirit tho.
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'm going , i went there when andy jones missed an absolute sitter .. it may have even been on a plastic pitch

was that the night we ended up in a curry house and a bloke came in who turned out to be the referee for our up and coming game against newcastle?

i think you could be right , it was all in a drunken twilight zone back then so can never remember for sure!