Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Official Charlton Takeover Thread (For Johnny Come Latelys)

Comments

• Yeah can understand that actually. Exiting though no doubt eh Len.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]first post I have seen thats on a downer Len. Our board wont sell to a bunch of money grabbers.

Not a downer exactly, more a fear of the unknown.

More a fear of what we know CAN happen. Man citeh haven't been setting the league alight have they with all them players playing for their chance to play alongside half the Brazil squad? Chelsea is now a souless place, can't fill a ground for a 'finish 4th in the league trophy' don't make no noise anymore.

I am aprehensive to say the least

Sorry to be a miserable sod but...............
  • edited October 2008
    To quote Winston Wolf, "Let's not start sucking each other d*cks just yet"
  • carter FFS fella aint saying ur wrong mate but jesus ----------------------get a happy pill for a day or two at least.
  • Charlton fans have always had to have their feet pretty firmly planted imho. We are the difference every time.
  • I'll be checking for news until I go to bed tonight even though nothing will happen tonight.
  • we aint signing sole campbell are we /
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Yeah can understand that actually. Exiting though no doubt eh Len.

Exciting yes and if it works potentially wonderful BUT ALSO....

A bit like being on the top board of the swimming pool with a pretty bird you fancy watching so thereis no way you can't jump in even though half of you wants to turn round and climb back down the steps.

I guess I've seen a few things go wrong in my time so have become ever more cautious as i've got older.
  • I got exited when Ian Dowie took over...............
  • Dubai or not Dubai, that is the question ....
  • Sponsored links:

• To celebrate the news, I've changed my name!

Formerly Northstandultra :0)
  • Subject Charlton takeover by Greenwich Council now imminent
    Author David Skillend -Posted 09/10/2008 at 02:37 PM
    Message Well maybe not imminent, but certainly more likely than it was before the part-nationalisation of our banks!

Such a takeover would also have its advantages, which I outlined several weeks ago. Accountability to a larger number of people; a comprehensive support base [financially at least] of 100% of citizens in the council area; recognition [publicly-imposed on them] by the people of the area for the community work that the club carries out in the area; a greater sense of Charlton as a local club representing the locality; lower ticket prices as a result of heavy subsidies from the council; football at last given top priority by the authorities alongside health, education and all the other things they waste their money on.

Also, automatic promotion to the Prem as one of the many Championship clubs that will have to replace Prem clubs after they all go bankrupt!
    Reply From JOHN TOPLEY -Posted 09/10/2008 at 03:11 PM
    Reply How about a £100 billion takeover by the Govt. initiated by Brown and that other white haired twerp, of Charlton Athletic Football Club.
    Reply From Lee Edmonds -Posted 09/10/2008 at 10:29 PM
    Reply Is this the same Greenwich Council that has so often put barriers in the club's way of moving forward?
    I notice the council have gone a bit quiet since we got relegated.
    We were the best thing since the proverbial sliced bread when we went up and they couldn't get enough of Charlton Athletic!
    "...lower ticket prices as a result of heavy subsidies from the council..."
    Yeah, I'm sure that all the non-football supporters of the borough will be pleased to see their hard-earned council tax spent on subsidising us.
    Reply From Michael Christofi -Posted 10/10/2008 at 12:23 AM
    Reply Wake up wake up, It's just a dream!
    Reply From Tony Slater -Posted 10/10/2008 at 12:40 PM
    Reply Tough luck, our money is in Iceland, maybe we should send Herman over!

Ha Ha
  • MariaCAFC and her Dad in Dubai in 2007 - This pic means so much more now!!!

:o)
  • Welcome Sheikh.........What happens if this all goes tits up lol
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Welcome Sheikh.........What happens if this all goes tits up lol

When the bubble bursts, I'll revert back to NorthStandUltra :0)
  • we get the piss taken out of us for awhile and we lose nothing
  • maria, is barry hiding a ball in there! lol
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]maria, is barry hiding a ball in there! lol

LOL - No he went to bed the night before and swallowed the pillow!!

:o)
  • erm if all this means the club stays exactly the same but we get loads to spend then wooohooo. but. id rather be us than chelsea if that makes any sense......i is tipsy
  • I don't think if this happens we will have the sort of cash to go out and buy Rooney etc., but it could make us a good side....

Like you said off it, Mr Wolf's wise words spring to mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• we will always be us innit
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Yeah can understand that actually. Exiting though no doubt eh Len.

Exciting yes and if it works potentially wonderful BUT ALSO....

A bit like being on the top board of the swimming pool with a pretty bird you fancy watching so thereis no way you can't jump in even though half of you wants to turn round and climb back down the steps.

I guess I've seen a few things go wrong in my time so have become ever more cautious as i've got older.

Yeah, I feel cautious as well Len. That "pretty bird" might do a runner if you slip up and crack your head open.

What worried me in all this was the report that as a club we are (were) £20m in debt. £20m with a cautious board who've just had a fire sale! Where on Earth does that leave the rest of the football fraternity? Ultimately, it seems to me that for every pound that is pumped into football another two are syphoned out the back door. Perhaps the owner(s) behind Zabeel want Charlton as a plaything and are happy to pump money in hand over fist just for a bit of fun, but for me the clue is in the name "Zabeel Investments". I fear that at some time someone is going to want their pound of flesh; I just hope they don't have to cut anyone's heart out to get it.
  • Thats pretty sobering to be honest Stig.
  • Excellent news really excited about this. The BBC said that Murray and Co wanted 80 million for the club but the Zabeel wearnt interested so they asked for 50 million. The board are going to do very nicely out of this and fair play to them after all they are business men 1st and supporters 2nd.
  • Tavern =Graham Stuart lookalike??
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Thats pretty sobering to be honest Stig.

Sorry. I'll see if a few Tanglefoots can lighten the mood. It's not that I'm anti - just cautious.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Thats pretty sobering to be honest Stig.

Sorry. I'll see if a few Tanglefoots can lighten the mood. It's not that I'm anti - just cautious.

I've just had one of those and am about to get myself another!
  • Oh go on then..........
  • Goonerhater I am just not building myself up to fall off that diving board and end up with the mother of all split skulls.

Completely understand why people are getting excited but didn't a Glikstein fella start something pretty shit a few years ago with promises and pennies?

Like Carlsberg said, I just think more can go wrong than go right.

But you got a point mate, perhaps I need to get amongst it down the high street and wind some chelski vermin up to cheer myself up!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Thats pretty sobering to be honest Stig.

I've just had one of those and am about to get myself another!

Race ya!