Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Official Charlton Takeover Thread (For Johnny Come Latelys)

Comments

• Maria, hope you don't mind but i've used that brilliant pic in my article....

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=197

Would be great get peoples considered thoughts underneath the article
  • Remember the sales and the bond issue were, in part, to manage that debt but it does show what a difference being outside the prem makes.
  • I'd like to know what Peter Varney's take is on this.
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Goonerhater I am just not building myself up to fall off that diving board and end up with the mother of all split skulls.

Completely understand why people are getting excited but didn't a Glikstein fella start something pretty shit a few years ago with promises and pennies?

Like Carlsberg said, I just think more can go wrong than go right.

But you got a point mate, perhaps I need to get amongst it down the high street and wind some chelski vermin up to cheer myself up!
    Carter - you are a ****ing legend mate.

You're right to be cautious - especially after Gliksten (can't believe you're old enough to remember it mind!)

However, I think this is the way that football is going, and if we don't embrace it now, we're not going to be left behind, so much as go out of bloody business.

To be honest, when I heard the news, half of me wanted to react exactly the way you did - with caution. However, after the utter dross I've had to put up with for the past four seasons, and seeing that pretty much every othyer club seems to be going the same way, I say bollocks to it - lets enjoy it whilst it lasts!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Maria, hope you don't mind but i've used that brilliant pic in my article....

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=197

Would be great get peoples considered thoughts underneath the article

I don't mind at all!

We sent that pic and a pic of My Brother and My Niece in their Charlton Shirts this year in Dubai to the Sun News desk earlier - so hopefully they may make the papers tomorrow.

:o)
  • bloody publicity seeker's couldn't wait to get your name i the papers could you ;-), mind you Rothko was still panting when he was interviewed,he couldn't get on the box quick enough.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]bloody publicity seeker's couldn't wait to get your name i the papers could you ;-), mind you Rothko was still panting when he was interviewed,he couldn't get on the box quick enough.

Steve, I wonder if they'll replace the fish with a camel?
  • Now I've had time to think about this, my concern is that this is some kind of ploy to get Newcastle to get their arse in gear... a kind of look what you're about to miss out on. I just can't understand how they've suddenly gone from a big club like Newcastle, to us.
  • edited October 2008
    Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]bloody publicity seeker's couldn't wait to get your name i the papers could you ;-), mind you Rothko was still panting when he was interviewed,he couldn't get on the box quick enough.[/quote]

LOL - we don't get much opportunity to get attention!! :o)
  • All of you calm down
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]All of you calm down

Media Star are we :0)
  • Medders/

If you think about it again you´ll realise that they can make Charlton a much bigger force than NUFC at will...Not that it takes much nowadays eh?
  • Sorry MariaCAFC, Doubt that will ever happen to me
  • [cite]Posted By: MCFC[/cite]Medders/

If you think about it again you´ll realise that they can make Charlton a much bigger force than NUFC at will...Not that it takes much nowadays eh?

LOL, very true!

Seriously though, on fan base, current league status etc... we're at least 3 years behind where Newcastle are now...
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Sorry MariaCAFC, Doubt that will ever happen to me

You enjoy your moment in the media mate :0)
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Now I've had time to think about this, my concern is that this is some kind of ploy to get Newcastle to get their arse in gear... a kind of look what you're about to miss out on. I just can't understand how they've suddenly gone from a big club like Newcastle, to us.

They got mucked about by Newcastle, and found a better cheaper deal, the same thing that happened at QPR.

Newcastle would cost 6 times what it could cost them for Charlton, then how much would Newcastle fans demand on players?

The outlay at Newcastle would be stupid, at Charlton, it'll be a fraction and the rewards could be as big.
  • still not seen it
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Now I've had time to think about this, my concern is that this is some kind of ploy to get Newcastle to get their arse in gear... a kind of look what you're about to miss out on. I just can't understand how they've suddenly gone from a big club like Newcastle, to us.

They got mucked about by Newcastle, and found a better cheaper deal, the same thing that happened at QPR.

Newcastle would cost 6 times what it could cost them for Charlton, then how much would Newcastle fans demand on players?

The outlay at Newcastle would be stupid, at Charlton, it'll be a fraction and the rewards could be as big.

I'm not convinced mate, but then I'm not the media darling am I?! ;-)

Time will tell. I really hope it's the right move for the club
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]still not seen it

It been on SSN all evening, you'll probably see it after 11 o'clock.
  • this aint good. charlton is dead. end of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have to explain MCS
  • look at chelsea, the scum of the earth, money money money!! its not how my football club is, was and ever will be! football is dead.
  • What would the outlay be a Newcastle? £300m to buy, £200m to clear the debt? Then £250m on players? A quarter of a billion, and then when you don't have a good week the fans turn on you?

We're cheap, but a better long term bet being in a proper city helps a lot.
  • MCS.....You are missing the point. We are not or ever will be Chelsea. We are Charlton. Money is just as mch a part of football in the Prem as it is in Div 2. Its just degrees.
  • It aint what football is about for me, who has the richest backers, i loved charlton when we were struggling and, when we were just charlton, well we aint now!

Your missing the point, its my opinion, and that what i believe. Football is fucking dead, and these rich mugs have ruined our beautiful game. if your pleased with this outcome then so be it, but i aint.
  • Football evolves like everything else. Charlton have always been richer than Rotherham. Liverpool richer than Charlton. Its the way it is. We all used to stand at matches and get soaking wet. Things change. Like I said, We are still Charlton. We were two years ago in the prem and we are now in the Championship. We was years ago in the rain and we will be in ten years from now.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]It aint what football is about for me, who has the richest backers, i loved charlton when we were struggling and, when we were just charlton, well we aint now!

Your missing the point, its my opinion, and that what i believe. Football is fucking dead, and these rich mugs have ruined our beautiful game. if your pleased with this outcome then so be it, but i aint.

I'll second that.
  • I'm shocked.

But, in the same way that I was shocked when Parker left. I didn't want it to happen, but there was nothing I could do. This isn't football anymore. Of course to compete in the Premier League we need to be bought out, but I think I'd rather just go back fifteen years where the likes of Norwich City could finish second. I'm strictly against having our club in the hands of people who have never been to the Valley. The board are Charlton fans, and I like it that way. Sure, over the last two or three seasons this club has gone so down hill it is actually in a worse situation then the season before we got promoted in 97/98. We're in a financially bad situation, and the players and management have gone stale. But at least we're still a football club. These things go with supporting a team likes ours, and I'm afraid I think we're going to lose that when we sell to the foreign owners. I can't see Charlton being Charlton anymore and I wish I could leave football behind, but I can't. I can't change clubs, and I can't stop looking at the results and going to the games.

That's how I feel, and I think I've even surprised myself. I thought success for this club meant that I'd been happy, but look at where we were in the Premiership years. The atmosphere went as we were so used to mid-table, and I can only see that getting worse as we go on. What do you want from this take over? Premiership football? Star players? Europe? Maybe we'll get it, but I feel the success will feel as if it's been bought.

Maybe I'm on a bad day, and maybe I'm being old-fashioned, but as soon as Abromovich took over Chelsea, I thought it was a huge blow for football, and now it's happening to us, I think it's a huge blow for me.
  • Success has always been bought. Its not coincidence that Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal dominate..........Over the years they have spent the most. I sort of agree about the good old days but things move on. Lots of clubs will go to the wall in the next couple of years. We nearly did THIS year. This investment clears our debt and lets us get a foothold again.
  • [cite]Posted By: rufusisadogsname[/cite]I'm shocked.

But, in the same way that I was shocked when Parker left. I didn't want it to happen, but there was nothing I could do. This isn't football anymore. Of course to compete in the Premier League we need to be bought out, but I think I'd rather just go back fifteen years where the likes of Norwich City could finish second. I'm strictly against having our club in the hands of people who have never been to the Valley. The board are Charlton fans, and I like it that way. Sure, over the last two or three seasons this club has gone so down hill it is actually in a worse situation then the season before we got promoted in 97/98. We're in a financially bad situation, and the players and management have gone stale. But at least we're still a football club. These things go with supporting a team likes ours, and I'm afraid I think we're going to lose that when we sell to the foreign owners. I can't see Charlton being Charlton anymore and I wish I could leave football behind, but I can't. I can't change clubs, and I can't stop looking at the results and going to the games.

That's how I feel, and I think I've even surprised myself. I thought success for this club meant that I'd been happy, but look at where we were in the Premiership years. The atmosphere went as we were so used to mid-table, and I can only see that getting worse as we go on. What do you want from this take over? Premiership football? Star players? Europe? Maybe we'll get it, but I feel the success will feel as if it's been bought.

Maybe I'm on a bad day, and maybe I'm being old-fashioned, but as soon as Abromovich took over Chelsea, I thought it was a huge blow for football, and now it's happening to us, I think it's a huge blow for me.

Feel the same. We're not going to really compete with the top clubs anyway so why risk everything.
    The only good thing for me is that we may get to play St Etienne in the UEFA Cup - lol - (before we eventually go bust).