Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Official Charlton Takeover Thread (For Johnny Come Latelys)

Comments

• Very much what Clem said
  • What BDL said!
  • I wonder how Richard Redden is going to react to this?
  • what charlton said.......

I want confirmation.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I wonder how Richard Redden is going to react to this?

Richard gets annoyed about the Club having northerners running the Superstore so God knows ; - )
  • I wonder what LTGTR take is on this? Where are you, mate?
  • This is a great thread, and I share many of the concerns raised, but in the end I don't see that we have any choice.

I think the timing might have something to do with that - 14th in the Championship, players sold and transfer funds very limited.
    This time last year I would probably have been against it, but the reality is that we are probably now at our natural level in the second tier of English football, and it's only going to get harder to move upwards.

More and more clubs are going to get taken over by big investors, and with that the competition will continue to get tougher.

We've seen from other clubs that money doesn't always buy success, and my main concern is that our potential new owners come into this with a realistic expectation about where they can take us, and how quickly.
    We're not going to win the Premier League, and we're also not going to break into the top four. Would a top eight finish in two years' time be enough for them, or even our supporters?
    More immediately, we also need to find some consistency so that we're in with a decent shout of promotion by the time any money can start being spent in January.

It's an exciting development, but we can only hope that Zabeel's idea of 'long term' investment is just that.
  • Good post ALF. If the current squad can hang onto the coatails of the top seven in the division until january then that would give us the opportunity to add a bit more quality when the window opens. With any luck that would allow us to make playoffs at least. God I hope all this happens. Would be sooooooooo disapointing for it all to go pear shaped now.
  • My first reaction after hearing this was god this must be a wind up, followed with a huge smile when i knew it was real.

We are a family club, there Is no reason that we will not still be a family club, we have a huge fanbase and the abillity to grow that. I would love to see "Plucky little Charlton" in europe.

I guess we have all seen the great times and been there during the bad also, i for one am looking forward to the chance of cheering Charlton on at the top of the premier league.

SINGING VALLEY FLOYD ROAD, MY ONLY DESIRE....................
  • The first I heard about it was watching the BBC World ticker this morning. I wasn't paying much notice, expecting the Zabeel Holdings interest to be in Newcastle and was totally dumbstruck to see the words Charlton Athletic appear.

I'm in Malaysia at the moment and this is the first opportunity I have had to get online but like many of you, I am in two minds: I like the old Charlton but things move on.

Let's see what happens first.
  • Sponsored links:

• Something needed to happen, the club was selling to survive. Give them a chance etc and see how it goes.

Cant see them doing anything too drastic as they know they will have to keep the fans on side in order for the club to grow into how they want it.
  • I am with BDL on this, we need to spend to get back up, as it stands now the Board cannot do that, so lets welcome the group and enjoy the ride, you really should check out the Palace and West Ham message boards, its worth it just for them!
    Hop banana
  • [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]English football got sold about 15 yrs ago and if we are to compete we are to arrest the slow downsize of the whole club.

That's my point. Things have already changed, so I think it is the only way forward from that respect. And at least a bit exciting. The option of not doing this will not be any better for people (like me) who are concerned - Football has changed, greed, silly money, - no loyalty etc etc ... at least this would bring some excitement, albeit 'bought' etc etc... But then the days of real passion, honesty and loyalty have gone (even from Charlton - NOT including us lot) - It will seem bloody weird though!

And I'm tempted to agree with whoever it was that said "If anyone deserves it, it's us"...
  • I think many underestimate the football knowledge of the emiratis, they are passionate about their footy and will not make any stupid mistakes that will alienate the fans I´m sure.
  • http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=20171

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=20173
    Murray told the South London Press: “People who bought season tickets before the deadline will of course get free ones next season if we go up. Any commitments will be honoured.”

And the potential new owners have told Murray they want him to carry on working at the club.

He said: “I am a Charlton person and Zabeel know my skills and relationship with the fans. They have indicated I will have an on-going role.”
  • I don't think i have been this excited since we signed Di Canio. How long ago was that.

I really hope this deal goes through now. Its what we have needed since Curbs left. We have needed an injection of investment for some time if we are to compete in the premiership. Glad to see RM would be part of the set up. Personally I 'd like to see a slow injection of cash. The current team doesn't need much to get it right to gain promotion. Once promoted I would still do it slowly.

But for now lets get behind the current team.

I
  • There is no doubting this is exciting news. Although the board have a made a couple of errors in the past couple of seasons these have been far outweighed by the large number of great decisions they have made before that. If they feel that this is the correct decision then that is good enough for me.

It seemed that due to the Dowie era that unless we went back up this seasons we would be in a mess without the parachute payments next season. So stuck with the choice of being in financial meltdown or being sold is easy to decide what you want, particularly when you are bought out with so much backing!

As for the comments regarding hoping the club dies not change, the only reason a club changes is if supporter’s attitudes do. Boards, Managers and Players have always moved on from football clubs and with a few exceptions at all clubs very few of them have been born into like the vast majority of supporters have who are the soul of any club. So if this does go through lets look at the positives of the whole thing, shout the roof of the Valley, get behind the team and management and let the good times roll. And if the whole thing turns out to be a disaster I for one will at least know the current board allowed us to have a go by first building the club back up again and giving it an opportunity to grow on again.
  • I wonder if my brother MCS has thought about AFCCAFC the new breakaway club, for those who want to support the old school charlton team?
  • [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]I wonder if my brother MCS has thought about AFCCAFC the new breakaway club, for those who want to support the old school charlton team?

I was wondering yesterday if anyone was going to suggest something like that.
  • mcs is gutted man gutted
  • Sponsored links:

• Just had a call from a Man Utd mate who has just seen the news.

Said he was doubly delighted. One for me and Charlton and two because they won't be putting money into Liverpool.
  • It sounds like Richard Murray will still be involved with the club, which is great news because it ensures that someone who is 100% Charlton will remain at a higher management level and ensure that we remain the same club we always were. Just hopefully a load more wealthy and successful!

However, I do hope that Charlton fans resist the temptation to gloat - how daft are we gonna look if the deal fails and they buy the Toon/Pool instead...

...personally, I think that buying a CC club makes a lot more sense than spending the best part of a billion squid on a team that has done it all before (e.g Liverpool) - where is the sense of achievement in that?
  • There is no doubting this is exciting news. Although the board have a made a couple of errors in the past couple of seasons these have been far outweighed by the large number of great decisions they have made before that. If they feel that this is the correct decision then that is good enough for me.

It seemed that due to the Dowie era that unless we went back up this seasons we would be in a mess without the parachute payments next season. So stuck with the choice of being in financial meltdown or being sold is easy to decide what you want, particularly when you are bought out with so much backing!

As for the comments regarding hoping the club dies not change, the only reason a club changes is if supporter’s attitudes do. Boards, Managers and Players have always moved on from football clubs and with a few exceptions at all clubs very few of them have been born into like the vast majority of supporters have who are the soul of any club. So if this does go through lets look at the positives of the whole thing, shout the roof of the Valley, get behind the team and management and let the good times roll. And if the whole thing turns out to be a disaster I for one will at least know the current board allowed us to have a go by first building the club back up again and giving it an opportunity to grow on again.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great post JohnnyH2
  • If the City takeover is a blueprint you can expect Dubai to nominate a joint chairman of their own that just keeps an eye on things and implement what needs to be done (investments etc) while having a local acting chairman handling the daily business.
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]This is a great thread, and I share many of the concerns raised, but in the end I don't see that we have any choice.

I think the timing might have something to do with that - 14th in the Championship, players sold and transfer funds very limited.
    This time last year I would probably have been against it, but the reality is that we are probably now at our natural level in the second tier of English football, and it's only going to get harder to move upwards.

More and more clubs are going to get taken over by big investors, and with that the competition will continue to get tougher.

We've seen from other clubs that money doesn't always buy success, and my main concern is that our potential new owners come into this with a realistic expectation about where they can take us, and how quickly.
    We're not going to win the Premier League, and we're also not going to break into the top four. Would a top eight finish in two years' time be enough for them, or even our supporters?
    More immediately, we also need to find some consistency so that we're in with a decent shout of promotion by the time any money can start being spent in January.

It's an exciting development, but we can only hope that Zabeel's idea of 'long term' investment is just that.

When the emiratis say long term they mean just that...trust me on that!

They will push the club forward but not to chase an unrealistic deadline, I expect the club owner to draw a ten year plan or something along that timescale for reaching the top of the Premier league.
  • Having had 24 hour to think about this every fibre in me should be against it but for some reason I can't help thinking it's for the best in the current climate. Despite their best efforts we've needed investment for years and each year that passes it gets more difficult for our current board to keep us competitive. I've not seen a single statement expressing anything other than heartfelt appreciation to Richard Murray et al and that, in itself, speaks volumes IMO.

If it's going to happen I'd MUCH rather us owed by this lot than an American investor for instance. Yes they're rather good at making money BUT they also know how to spend it too and don't mind investing in leisure activities even if there's no guarantee of a profit to be made e.g. the $millions pumped into the horseracing syndicates out there. There may be other motives at work that are yet to be seen, time will tell, but you know damn well when an American comes along they are in it purely for the money.
  • edited October 2008
    this from the sun...Hashimi has a similar plan to QPR’s billionaire owners, who are looking to make a gradual impact rather than adopting the Manchester City plan of splashing out millions on players and the unique status it enjoys in the community make it an exciting proposition for us.”
    The Arab is not looking for short-term profit and wants Charlton to build the strongest youth set-up in London, in a bid to bring through young talent.
    However, the club will also have a sizeable budget to get back into the top flight.
    Hashimi, whose firm has built large parts of Dubai, is looking to expand the capacity of The Valley and, if the club are promoted, a shelved project to give the ground a 40,000- capacity will be restored.

I think that's what RM is saying about it being good for charlton, that would be the charlton way myself, bring through the young lads. charlton players through and through which would uphold our value's and what it means to play for charlton. I can tell you guys and girls, we are jumping up an down with joy over here in Australia about this!!!!
  • If the Zabeel people build on the foundation that Richard Murray & co have built during the past couple of decades, evolving and growing the club sustainably - I can't see that as a bad thing.

No mention of a groundshare at Palace. At least they're not Sunleys.
  • What oggy said!
  • I think the fact that they appear to want RM to continue at the club is excellent news and certainly good PR. I seemed to find myself with everything crossed hoping that this deal will go through OK.