Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Official Charlton Takeover Thread (For Johnny Come Latelys)

Comments

• Not that they are going to spend it all on Charlton...I hope! :0
  • scary and exciting
  • I for one am excited about this. As others have said supporting Charlton is always a roller coaster ride some great highs and lots of real lows. If it does happen then expectation levels will be sky high and rightly so but that then brings in its own problems, Do you sack the manager for finishing 3rd or 4th Chelsea do. But as we have said supporting Charlton is like a roller coaster ride so lets all get excited about this new ride that is just being built.
  • Don´t think to much about the money..it doesn´t really matter if an owner got 5, 15 or 250 billions stashed away, what matters is what plans they have and how much they are going to spend making them come true.

I mean, how much did Roman spend on Chelsea?..around £600m I think, just a few hundred mills can go a long way in footy.
  • If and when this goes through MCFC i will buy u a sherbet next time u are down at the valley,you input has been greatly appreciated.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]If and when this goes through MCFC i will buy u a sherbet next time u are down at the valley,you input has been greatly appreciated.

Cheers...bleeding typical that I´m working abroad at the moment and in no hurry to get home until the economy improves when free sherbets are being flung around so have one for me when the takeover goes thru instead.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCFC[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]If and when this goes through MCFC i will buy u a sherbet next time u are down at the valley,you input has been greatly appreciated.

Cheers...bleeding typical that I´m working abroad at the moment and in no hurry to get home until the economy improves when free sherbets are being flung around so have one for me when the takeover goes thru instead.

Working abroad, MCFC .....not in Dubai are you ??

;o)
  • I have been stationed there but not right now...working for Sony-Ericsson takes you round the world at times.
  • [cite]Posted By: MCFC[/cite]I have been stationed there but not right now...working for Sony-Ericsson takes you round the world at times.

You're definitely mobile then ...... ?
  • This club is mental...

In my life time, we have gone through some amazing ups and downs.

I'm only 31, but boy has it been a ride.

Losing our home ground, promotion to the top league, political campaign to get back, the play off win, winning the league, relegation and lots of other bumps and triumphs

And now this....
  • Sponsored links:

• SIT TIGHT !
    Its gonna go on and on..................
  • [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]This club is mental...

In my life time, we have gone through some amazing ups and downs.

And now this....

We're not just any old Tottenham, Chelsea or Arsenal you know ........
  • IF this deal does go through, do people reckon we'll have a massive transfer kitty in January?

Or, like the failed link up with Inter Milan, will all the whoop-la fizzle out - with Charlton just becoming part of the Zabeel portfolio?

I'm not being negative chaps, just don't quite understand how this will play out.
  • Nor does anyone yet, Valley11.

I shouldn't worry about it though, just enjoy the moment.

It makes a welcome change from discussing why Lloyd Sam can't cross the ball or whether Ambrose is worth his place in the team .......
  • I posted this on the blog comments if anybody is interested:

Having thought some more about this over the weekend we really have no alternative but to embrace it even if ordinary working fans like me are priced out of going.

Richard Murray and others have understandably reached the end of the line re pumping money into the Club and who can blame them given the magnificent achievements up until the end of 2005/6?

Unlike Gliksten and his father (Stanley anyway not Albert) Richard is not prepared to simply let the Club die a slow death. We came back from the dead in 1984 but now live in far more hostile times financially and would be unable to come back again.

This takeover offers the Club new impetus. If it means fans like me are replaced by prawn sandwiches so be it. At least I will still be able to look up the results of my beloved Charlton and, thanks to Richard Murray, Alan Curbishley and Peter Varney amongst others i can remember the top tier football I was lucky enough to witness at The Valley.

I’ve enjoyed the last 45 years of watching Charlton but all good things come to an end.
  • Think you're jumping the gun a bit Len, no idea if prices will go up yet.
  • Really hope it is not an end for you, Len.

Agree there is probably no alternative way to secure the future of the club. However, over the years the ownership has not been the reason for going or not going -it's been fantastic to have had decent men in charge recently, but we had a right mixed bunch before that as you say, and it was still Charlton.

The fans determine the culture of the club more than the players, the manager and the owners. So it is down to us to stick with it and shape the future as best we can, and do all in our power to make sure that loyal and long-standing fans are neither priced out nor alienated by any changes.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    I’ve enjoyed the last 45 years of watching Charlton but all good things come to an end.

Len this dosen't mean the end. This is a new beginning.

None of us know what will happen about ticket prices etc but I believe that certainly for the next few seasons prices may go up slightly but I don't think they will arrive at Spuds or Chelski prices. The new owners (when it's confirmed) know what they are buying into and raising prices beyond the pockets of the current fanbase will have a detrimental effect on attendances. Obviously they will hope that the support grows, but then we've all hoped for that, and to do that realistic pricing will be part of the growth.

Having supported Charlton for 35 years this is probably the most exciting off field news in recent years. In the scheme of things it may be second only to surviving in 1984.

Onwards and upwards.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]Think you're jumping the gun a bit Len, no idea if prices will go up yet.

I hope you are right Stu but look at QPR.
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    I’ve enjoyed the last 45 years of watching Charlton but all good things come to an end. The new owners (when it's confirmed) know what they are buying into and raising prices beyond the pockets of the current fanbase will have a detrimental effect on attendances.

They have quite clearly stated that they are also buying into the 'community' of Charlton ... raising prices would appear to be contrary to such a view.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I posted this on the blog comments if anybody is interested:

Having thought some more about this over the weekend we really have no alternative but to embrace it even if ordinary working fans like me are priced out of going.

Richard Murray and others have understandably reached the end of the line re pumping money into the Club and who can blame them given the magnificent achievements up until the end of 2005/6?

Unlike Gliksten and his father (Stanley anyway not Albert) Richard is not prepared to simply let the Club die a slow death. We came back from the dead in 1984 but now live in far more hostile times financially and would be unable to come back again.

This takeover offers the Club new impetus. If it means fans like me are replaced by prawn sandwiches so be it. At least I will still be able to look up the results of my beloved Charlton and, thanks to Richard Murray, Alan Curbishley and Peter Varney amongst others i can remember the top tier football I was lucky enough to witness at The Valley.

I think you may be surprised and see prices go down and not up. Prices have remained competitive but have had to move up a little because every penny counts at present but adding £500k or so to bottom line through tickets will not be anywhere near the top of the priority list. In fact getting the ground full will be way above that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Really hope it is not an end for you, Len.

Agree there is probably no alternative way to secure the future of the club. However, over the years the ownership has not been the reason for going or not going -it's been fantastic to have had decent men in charge recently, but we had a right mixed bunch before that as you say, and it was still Charlton.

The fans determine the culture of the club more than the players, the manager and the owners. So it is down to us to stick with it and shape the future as best we can, and do all in our power to make sure that loyal and long-standing fans are neither priced out nor alienated by any changes.

What a great post! No really I mean it all of the euphoria and depression are as Kipling would have it " both imposters" and between both stand us as Charlton Fans.

We all want the best for our club - money, success, the family feel and all the things that make CAFC what we hold dear.

The religious view that money is the root of all evil has never cut the mustard with me but having read some of the vitriol exposed on this site over the last three days makes me wonder.

Frankly,if only the prospect of the cash makes for some of the posts/ ridiculous arguments i've read over the weekend then they can can shove it up their collective Arab A***s and give me my football club back.

More power to your elbow Weegie, and Henry just chill, you have a lot of respect on this site, but Jeez, 20 seconds on telly and you seem to have started to inhabit your own rear end.

:););D;p ,

and any other tongue in cheek symbols you can thinkl of!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I posted this on the blog comments if anybody is interested:

I think you may be surprised and see prices go down and not up. Prices have remained competitive but have had to move up a little because every penny counts at present but adding £500k or so to bottom line through tickets will not be anywhere near the top of the priority list. In fact getting the ground full will be way above that.

That would be great if it happens that way.
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Trust me, I'm a doctor.

:-)
  • OS has just gone down, Could this be an announcement already? I can stop checking CL today !
  • Izzie on the bench for REsies! Sorry folks!
  • edited October 2008
    Len, I appreciate what you say. Football has changed in our lifetime and now is a pivotal moment for our club.

In the 1930's the Glickstens realised the potential of our club but fate, or the war, or a lack of dynamism, or will meant that they failed to build the club into a fortress. The current Board have been fantastic and have raised our sights much higher than I ever believed possible. Now that amazing work looks like it's finally paid off and the finances for the long-term growth of this club will hopefully be secured in the coming days and weeks.

No "plastic" Arsenal fan is allowed to forget Herbert Chapman, or the double winning team. No true Man U fan, new or old is allowed to forget Munich, the Busby Babes, or Best, Law and Charlton. They are part of the folklore of their clubs and what binds fans of all generations together.

We have a unique history, one that can never be taken away and is the bedrock of the club. When I chat with people who have only recently become fans, they have a huge appetite for the history of the club. Assuming this all goes through, the future appears to be bright and I welcome the chance to share our uniqueness with a new generation of supporters.
  • Some quite interesting points on the 606 page here...

606 Charlton
  • Great post Bing. Bang on mate.