Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    T_C_E said:

Having had to say goodbye to our beloved Springer Spaniel Scooby last week, we decided that our house / our family has to have a dog in our lives, so as the saying goes 'if you fall off the bike, you get straight back on', welcome to Chez Flashheart Buster and Bodie - 12 weeks old - causing chaos - love em to bits - put a smile back on my face
    Good for you, lovely boys. Be warned training siblings is hard work. Concentrate on the more dominant one and hopefully the more submissive one will follow his lead. Good luck.😉

Thank you - they are doing really well on house training - very friendly - happy around other dogs - took them to Folkstone on Thursday in the Land Rover, and they were fine - just slept - my only 'worry' is getting them 100% on recall in due course - our Scooby was a nightmare to train, especially on recall, and it took a long time to get him to come back to me - a few hairy moments where he just ran off with me chasing him - Springers are inquisitive by nature, so I do understand what the issues are - the problem is chasing 1 Springer is bad enough - chasing 2 will be a challenge !!! 

Its all part of the joy of having dogs though - I can't wait to take them on a canal boat holiday next year
  • Options
    This is Giaccomo, our Continental Bulldog. Now almost two and a half. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    My daughter just turned 10 and it's been made clear to me that if I put off getting her/us a puppy much longer I'm going to be in big trouble (she's been waiting several years). I was hoping the CL brains trust could give me some advice about breeds you guys recommend and specific breeders I should be contacting (I live in South Kent).
    I'm looking for a medium to medium large dog that's good with kids and preferably doesn't smell too 'doggy' (wife's request 🤯) and it also mustn't mind sharing the house with a cat. My daughter's badgered her mum into looking at Dalmatians which I've heard mixed reviews about (deafness/behaviour) but size wise they'd be great. I grew up with Labs and think they're fantastic but my wife's friend has a Lab that really does stink so I think it would be a tough sell. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I’ve never worked with a Dalmatian but I have heard from an owner they are notorious bouncy. 
    All working breeds are exactly that, they like to work. Labs, collies, Sheps deserve more than a walk to the shops. Labs like Sheps are notorious for HD so you would be asking for those scores and if the males have been tested.
    If a dog stinks, that’s an owners issue. Two of my dogs have never a bath in the 9 & 7 years of their lives, probably the cleanest animals you’ll ever get. Dogs won’t shit or piss on their own doorstep unless they have no choice. Groomed daily sometimes twice if blowing their coats.
    Dont be led by small/med/large guidelines in books, technically my chosen breed are medium, but at almost 60kg my males are large but a female (Valli) 35kgs medium and Xena at 19kg small yet they are all Gèrman  shepherds. If your getting a puppy and you can’t see mum and dad walk away, if there’s any question they won’t answer walk away, if you turn up with the cash and the breeder lets you choose a pup to take home that day or or pressures you, walk away, don’t meet someone who promised to bring the puppy to services or your home. Kennel club registered breeders is no longer any guarantee lots of good breeders are leaving the registration as they believe they are no longer fit for purpose. Look into all aspects of looking after your dog, feeding/health care. If you decide to raw feed your dog ( in my opinion the best) you will be frowned upon by the veterinarian profession, likewise if you decide not to inoculate you may have problems with insurance companies. Lots of things to think of, I’m in Kent so if you need any help just shout. When you find your chosen breed research, join groups on Facebook etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    T_C_E said:
    I’ve never worked with a Dalmatian but I have heard from an owner they are notorious bouncy. 
    All working breeds are exactly that, they like to work. Labs, collies, Sheps deserve more than a walk to the shops. Labs like Sheps are notorious for HD so you would be asking for those scores and if the males have been tested.
    If a dog stinks, that’s an owners issue. Two of my dogs have never a bath in the 9 & 7 years of their lives, probably the cleanest animals you’ll ever get. Dogs won’t shit or piss on their own doorstep unless they have no choice. Groomed daily sometimes twice if blowing their coats.
    Dont be led by small/med/large guidelines in books, technically my chosen breed are medium, but at almost 60kg my males are large but a female (Valli) 35kgs medium and Xena at 19kg small yet they are all Gèrman  shepherds. If your getting a puppy and you can’t see mum and dad walk away, if there’s any question they won’t answer walk away, if you turn up with the cash and the breeder lets you choose a pup to take home that day or or pressures you, walk away, don’t meet someone who promised to bring the puppy to services or your home. Kennel club registered breeders is no longer any guarantee lots of good breeders are leaving the registration as they believe they are no longer fit for purpose. Look into all aspects of looking after your dog, feeding/health care. If you decide to raw feed your dog ( in my opinion the best) you will be frowned upon by the veterinarian profession, likewise if you decide not to inoculate you may have problems with insurance companies. Lots of things to think of, I’m in Kent so if you need any help just shout. When you find your chosen breed research, join groups on Facebook etc.
    My chosen breeder is in Northampton Tramella GSD, there is also Elaine Lowe in Kent. Neither will sell you a puppy without a little face to face chat and will have to sign a contract as will Anchaz GSD or Mrs @Redmidland to me and you. ;)
  • Options
    Mrs T_C_E with our four ball.
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend any dog trackers.seen some that are £10 using Bluetooth and some up to £50 using gps thinking to go in the middle. Advice please thanks in advice 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Can anyone recommend any dog trackers.seen some that are £10 using Bluetooth and some up to £50 using gps thinking to go in the middle. Advice please thanks in advice 
    Cant recommend one didn’t know they sold such a thing just had to look up what purpose they serve, if I’m honest with you. They look like a money making item for another manufacturer, if I may ask why do you feel you need one?
  • Options
    Because a couple of times his run off in woods and worried we might not find him 
  • Options
    Because a couple of times his run off in woods and worried we might not find him 
    I got Magnus at the start of the year, he’s a rescue dog, a spring / poodle cross and was about a year old. He got out a couple of times at the beginning and was worried about him running off. Worked on his recall and visited @T_C_E to show us the “ropes”. Brought a dog whistle and used that for recall. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My border collie wears a tractive tracker when walking in the woods, though I rarely let her off a long lead. It requires a subscription to maintain the gps signal. The signal is dependent on density of trees etc, and can take a while to locate the device but has helped me out on a couple of occasions. Not sure I’d recommend it though  
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply T_C_E.  I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming at this point but your checklist and advice is a great help. BTW that's a lovely picture of your wife and the dogs. 
  • Options
    I thought that might be the case, unfortunately these companies rely on fear to sell a gadget. Recall is one of the easiest commands to teach a dog but our fear/reluctance to let our dogs off lead means when it does find itself loose for whatever reason it does the “I’m off” if you ever want a little help come down. 
    Practice in the garden and reward your dog when it returns a little high value treat, cheese is good. My boy JJ recalling after chasing crows. 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-lv_7jaPtrM
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply T_C_E.  I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming at this point but your checklist and advice is a great help. BTW that's a lovely picture of your wife and the dogs. 
    I could of gone forever mate with the list, i had lots of people help me before I bought Bailey, they still help me to this day. It could be a question on a dogs breeding, health, feeding or general welfare I have no problem going to my mentors and asking those including @Redmidland goodlady have forgotten more about dogs than I’ll ever know, they have always said “there’s no such thing as a stupid question” so ask away if you need help.
  • Options
    @SantaClaus happy to help if possible as @TCE said.
  • Options
    My daughter just turned 10 and it's been made clear to me that if I put off getting her/us a puppy much longer I'm going to be in big trouble (she's been waiting several years). I was hoping the CL brains trust could give me some advice about breeds you guys recommend and specific breeders I should be contacting (I live in South Kent).
    I'm looking for a medium to medium large dog that's good with kids and preferably doesn't smell too 'doggy' (wife's request 🤯) and it also mustn't mind sharing the house with a cat. My daughter's badgered her mum into looking at Dalmatians which I've heard mixed reviews about (deafness/behaviour) but size wise they'd be great. I grew up with Labs and think they're fantastic but my wife's friend has a Lab that really does stink so I think it would be a tough sell. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Take her to Discover  Dogs 12th-13th October at the Excel Centre. Every breed of dogs is represented where you can talk to people about the pro&cons of  your preferred breed/s. 
  • Options
    I would say that smaller breeds live longer. That should be considered. My JJ smells nice apart from when he farts. He is a Merle Jack Chi and the best dog I have ever had. he hates his nails clipped though and we have to take him to the vet to do them. If he hears us talking about taking him to the vets to have them done he runs off. He is three years old and we have had no health issues with him at all as of now.

• Options
    Love the name - reminds me of another dachshund I knew, called ND - short for Endless!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Everyone meet Pepperoni, our miniature long haired Dachshund girl, first night in our home tonight and after puking in the car she's settled in well!
    Lovely pup. :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Here’s our two and half year old Continental Bulldog called Giaccomo and our five month old Shih-Tzu called Pedge. Our only problem is that Pedge thinks she’s a bulldog and Giaccomo thinks he’s a lapdog!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    sam3110 said:

Everyone meet Pepperoni, our miniature long haired Dachshund girl, first night in our home tonight and after puking in the car she's settled in well!
    Lovely pup. :smile:
    Lovely pup - keep taking her out in the car - it will pay dividends later. 
  • Options
    Bailey and Valli have been nominated to Crufts for their Therapy work. We’ll see if they get through but I have my doubts. 😉

• Options
    How have I only just discovered the Bernedoddle!
    I want one!
  • Options
    He recalls fine when there is not a squirrel pheasant or another dog.he loves them cheese strings as a treat/ reward 
  • Options
    He recalls fine when there is not a squirrel pheasant or another dog.he loves them cheese strings as a treat/ reward

Overcoming nature’s instinct is one the hardest things to achieve. If cheese works try calling him back when there’s no distraction and reward him he will soon learn that if chases squirrels he gets nothing if comes back to Dad he gets cheese. It needs to be done 4/5 times per walk it’s all about repetition.

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    SX_Addick said:
    Cassie is now 3 years old. Her parents were both working sheep dogs on farms. The working gene is strong (in her, not me). She is quick to learn, and has learned that when off lead, we can’t catch her. As a result we only allow her off lead in secure fields. It’s a shame, but if she sees or scents a rabbit, fox, or kids playing football, the mist comes down and she’s off. The prey drive takes over and is very strong. I’m thinking it’s something we’ll just have to live with. 

I do do envy those with dogs that trot obediently by their owners’ sides.  
    Building a play based relationship with your dog will help you break natures instinct of prey Drive, that's not to say it's easy but it can be done. Obviously my chosen breed are a herding breed like yours but as you can see in the video his reaction to my call is to return despite the crows in the field attracting his attention. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-lv_7jaPtrM
    Recalling JJ while chasing crows, he thinks I need protection so if i call he returns immediately to see if I’m ok
  • Options
    Our lab Jess had to be put to sleep today with kidney failure aged 13. She was a typical lab really, soft, super friendly and would eat anything. Will miss you girl.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Talal said:
    Our lab Jess had to be put to sleep today with kidney failure aged 13. She was a typical lab really, soft, super friendly and would eat anything. Will miss you girl.

Our Thoughts are with you @Talal
    Run free to the Bridge Jess