Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    I can't believe he is totally blind - there are no clues whatsoever in how he gets around the place, but the vet insisted he was!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Curb_It said:
    Thanks.  I think he has to have surgery now.  He's been on anti-inflammatorys for the last seven months and these helped and was back to himself.  But the last month has gone downhill again and been told only option as he is in severe pain.

Found some more info @Curb_It
  • Options
    Thanks Ray.  He had the surgery done on that and he also had a cruciate injury in the same leg so was all done the same time.  Poor sod.  Still lame six weeks after but improving all the time.

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    Thanks Ray.  He had the surgery done on that and he also had a cruciate injury in the same leg so was all done the same time.  Poor sod.  Still lame six weeks after but improving all the time.

Thats great news B, there are lots of natural remedies that can help as he gets older. Most of them available on Amazon or your local supermarket or if your very rich, your vet or Holland and Barrett. Bailey is on most of them these days. ;)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=gloucosamine+for+dogs&crid=1MADFSWK23PUV&sprefix=glucose,aps,124&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_7
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Just got a quick question. What are people's views on dog wheelchairs? Our Griffon x is losing the use of her back legs and the vet says it's a problem in her spine that is more than likely inoperable (need a scan, which is a trip to Bordeaux and around €250, *edit - depending on result, the op will be around €2k). She's 8 years old and full of beans, even on her bad days she's trying to keep up with the other two and playing about. I'd usually just say that it would be for the best to let her go, but I think she's got the right temperament to get used to a chair and have a good 5 or 6 years left.

Cheers
  • Options
    Just got a quick question. What are people's views on dog wheelchairs? Our Griffon x is losing the use of her back legs and the vet says it's a problem in her spine that is more than likely inoperable (need a scan, which is a trip to Bordeaux and around €250). She's 8 years old and full of beans, even on her bad days she's trying to keep up with the other two and playing about. I'd usually just say that it would be for the best to let her go, but I think she's got the right temperament to get used to a chair and have a good 5 or 6 years left.

Cheers
    My 15 year old springer is Scooby - fit as a fiddle, apart from back legs

he has a pram

we start the walk with him walking on the lead and when it gets too much, put him in the pram

he looks very regal and happy in the pram and we all still get to go out together to a local pub

i reckon it's extended his life
  • Options
    Remember, when I was a kid, seeing a couple of German Shepherds being walked down Shooters Hill, by the farm, and one of those used a wheelchair. See em a few times and would be over 30 years ago, so not really a new thing
  • Options
    :'( Tough one this, ive always said. If it affects their quality of life I would make the decision to let them go and losing the use of your legs certainly impacts on that. But having said that and seen other dogs including my chosen breed using them and how happy they appear it becomes more difficult to answer. A more senior dog I believe I would let them go, a younger one I’d go for the cart.  :'(
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    :'( Tough one this, ive always said. If it affects their quality of life I would make the decision to let them go and losing the use of your legs certainly impacts on that. But having said that and seen other dogs including my chosen breed using them and how happy they appear it becomes more difficult to answer. A more senior dog I believe I would let them go, a younger one I’d go for the cart.  :'(
    I'm exactly the same as you mate, but she don't seem to be in any pain at all and is full of life and is still the first one to the door to go out for a run. It's hard to see her struggling to get up sometimes, but as our vet said, use a sheet under her and lift her and once she's up she's up. Reckon a wheelchair is well worth a punt with this one and see how she gets on 🤞🤞
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    My Scoob is 15, which is an incredible age for a Springer - he can still wee and poo and wander around the house and garden (wees like a girl now though !!) - he sometimes gets caught short and doesn't make it to the garden in time (normally when he is asleep and wakes up realising he needs the loo) - we quickly learned with the pram to let him walk first so he has a sniff around and does his business - he can do 10/15 minutes walking and then he starts sitting down or wobbling 

But I agree - if we reached the stage where he had to be carried out to the garden and held up to do his business, then that's not fair

whilst he is my world, I know we are in the winter years, and my ideal would be to wake up in the morning and he gad gone peacefully in his sleep
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My springer has always weed Iike a girl until we got another male dog, and he started cocking his leg all of a sudden lol
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I'm exactly the same as you mate, but she don't seem to be in any pain at all and is full of life and is still the first one to the door to go out for a run. It's hard to see her struggling to get up sometimes, but as our vet said, use a sheet under her and lift her and once she's up she's up. Reckon a wheelchair is well worth a punt with this one and see how she gets on 🤞🤞
    Do you have wooden floors or laminate floors - we do, and that was what Scooby struggled with when his back legs got weak (he had both cruciates done when he was young, so metal plates etc, so was always going to get some leg problems) - we went down local carpet shop and bought loads of carpet strips (bit like a doormat but longer) - these are all over the ground floor and means he can get purchase to stand up - if he has an accident, either hose off the carpet or bin it and get a new one
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Do you have wooden floors or laminate floors - we do, and that was what Scooby struggled with when his back legs got weak (he had both cruciates done when he was young, so metal plates etc, so was always going to get some leg problems) - we went down local carpet shop and bought loads of carpet strips (bit like a doormat but longer) - these are all over the ground floor and means he can get purchase to stand up - if he has an accident, either hose off the carpet or bin it and get a new one
    Just had this very discussion with my Mrs this morning, we've got tiles throughout and she slides around on her bum (like scooting) until she gets the strength up,  but last night she escaped from the lounge into the bedroom to see me and as she turned down the side of the bed, her legs went, but she got up a lot quicker than she does in the lounge. Ive got a small roll of new carpet in my workshop, so will cut some strips tonight. Good idea 
  • Options
    Our dogs room is downstairs but last year we stopped asking Bailey go down there and he stays upstairs fortunately the whole house is carpeted. 9 out of 10 times JJ will join him during the night while the girls stay in their room, I would almost feel sorry for burglars because our house from outside looks so inviting. Back door, a stable door open at the top half, windows left open the boys can move about as they please. 😂
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    T_C_E said:
    Just had this very discussion with my Mrs this morning, we've got tiles throughout and she slides around on her bum (like scooting) until she gets the strength up,  but last night she escaped from the lounge into the bedroom to see me and as she turned down the side of the bed, her legs went, but she got up a lot quicker than she does in the lounge. Ive got a small roll of new carpet in my workshop, so will cut some strips tonight. Good idea 
    We have quite a high step from the patio back into the house, and he started bashing his legs on the cil, so I built a ramp with a rubber doormat glued on it so his feet don't slip - things we do for our dogs - I wouldn't do that for the wife !!!
  • Options
    Wilson, our new addition. He’s a labradoodle.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Hmmm
  • Options
    Maybe this time 
  • Options
    My springer has always weed Iike a girl until we got another male dog, and he started cocking his leg all of a sudden lol

Ours poos like a female.

Goes in, checks itself in the mirror to see if it looks thinner than last time

Puts half a bog roll down so as not to make a splash

Finishes quickly then uses the other half a roll to wipe it's arse

Flushes at least 3 times

Sprays half a bottle of perfume in the room so the next person in chokes to death

Check itself in the mirror on the way out to see if it looks any thinner

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Good luck with him, lovely dogs....... I've 3 of these come to training, only one owner was mentally and physically strong enough and continued training. They just don't stop bouncing and trying to pull and if you let them get away with it they are murder, I walk this one with my Bailey and he walked lovely I gave him back to the owner and he just took the piss out her. I don't believe these are an older persons dog (I'm not suggesting you are @Alwaysneil ;) ) but sadly some older folk just hear the Poodle part of the cross and conveniently forget the other bit. This boy is known as "Monty the B@stard" by his pensioner owner. :)

• Options
    My wife bought Scooby a coolmat today - apparently he lays down it and the gel inside makes the mat cool - she says it's made a huge difference and he has laid on it practically all day - yesterday he really struggled with the heat, but not today
  • Options
    When Bob my cocker went, he rarely cocked his leg, Magnus does it with both legs, not at the same time.
  • Options
    My wife bought Scooby a coolmat today - apparently he lays down it and the gel inside makes the mat cool - she says it's made a huge difference and he has laid on it practically all day - yesterday he really struggled with the heat, but not today
    See dogs are smart, my idiot cat is lying on the windowsill in direct sunlight. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    JJ likes a nice quick bath to cool him down. Loves ice cubes in his water bowl too!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Good luck with him, lovely dogs....... I've 3 of these come to training, only one owner was mentally and physically strong enough and continued training. They just don't stop bouncing and trying to pull and if you let them get away with it they are murder, I walk this one with my Bailey and he walked lovely I gave him back to the owner and he just took the piss out her. I don't believe these are an older persons dog (I'm not suggesting you are @Alwaysneil ;) ) but sadly some older folk just hear the Poodle part of the cross and conveniently forget the other bit. This boy is known as "Monty the B@stard" by his pensioner owner. :)

lol, my girlfriend says she has responsibility for trainings Wilson, I have suggested she will need some help. While she is both physically and mentally strong enough to do it, I am currently pushing her to get help with training. 

If I were to get her to agree @T_C_E do you have space at your training? If so, can you PM me with some details of times, recommendations etc? Would be great to have a properly trained dog for once 😁
  • Options
    Anyone that maybe interested in the twin dog car crates (Millie not included) please pm 
  • Options
    our two loveable but naughty Borders
  • Options
    Loveable but sensitive JJ 
  • Options
    As posted on heatwave thread. 

Here’s Stan - wearing this seasons must have accessory......the damp tea towel just out of the freezer!