Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2018
    We lost our clever beautiful boy to a spinal cancer 2 months ago and despite knowing that the time would one day come it was THE most difficult few days of my life. We thought he was just showing his age but quite quickly couldnt climb stairs and the last night I had to half carry him out to the yard...he has never messed indoors since housetraining and he wasn't about to start. He came straight back in and just lay there panting. Phoning for the vet to come out and waiting with him was a terrible thing and I am still having to excuse myself at work and go off somewhere private. Just can't get over him. 11 years my best friend and companion.
  • Options

We lost our clever beautiful boy to a spinal cancer 2 months ago and despite knowing that the time would one day come it was THE most difficult few days of my life. We thought he was just showing his age but quite quickly couldnt climb stairs and the last night I had to half carry him out to the yard...he has never messed indoors since housetraining and he wasn't about to start. He came straight back in and just lay there panting. Phoning for the vet to come out and waiting with him was a terrible thing and I am still having to excuse myself at work and go off somewhere private. Just can't get over him. 11 years my best friend and companion.

Sorry to hear. Not a lot anyone can say that will help. I can’t begin to imagine how I will feel when that time comes for my lovely Nima. Best wishes.
  • Options

Your talking to someone that cried on the BBC when asked about his dog and he was just poorly so never apologise about crying when you've lost your dog. I was very much a "it's only a dog person" before Bailey come along now I fully understand what goes with the territory when you take one on. Keep thinking about the good times through the sadness.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I was looking at our JJ the other day and thinking how much he means to us. They give us so much love and joy. People who have not owned a dog may think it is just a pet, but it isn't. It is a very, very close member of your family and it is normal to feel as you are doing. The pain will turn to a smile, thinking about him. And when you think about him, he is with you.

I often think about my old jack Russell Smudge and have a laugh at some of the things she got up to.
  • Options

Giaccomo enjoying the last of the summer sun!

I've had two boxers and both lived to a good age.
    Also both as bonkers in old age as they were as puppies.
    Love em.
  • Options
    I took this one of our Granddaughter just after a little show we put on for a preschool nursery group.
  • Options
    Had to say good bye to Bob tonight,would have been 11 next month. Took ill last week and several visits to vets and ultimately animal hospital, there wasn't very much that could be done.

In pieces.
  • Options

Had to say good bye to Bob tonight,would have been 11 next month. Took ill last week and several visits to vets and ultimately animal hospital, there wasn't very much that could be done.

In pieces.

So sorry GA...... "Run free to the Bridge Bob"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hey GA, well done mate. I've a couple of them come to training never sure on the combo so they are Cockerwotsits and Labrathingy! Yours looks like springer or King Charles in colouring do you know?
    Great personality, but don't stop bouncing really need their arses walked off them. ;)
  • Options
    The Carrot Crew -

• Options
    @T_C_E when do you hold your training?
    They think he’s about 1 yr to 18 months, bit under weight and has an ear infection.

• Options
    Only sundays and mondays these days @guinnessaddick, but whenever you want to come down as long as I'm not at the school we'll sort something out. No charge for Charlton fans when I dont have to use the fields. ;)
    Raw tripe or Tinned Butchers tripe if you cant stand the smell of the raw, will help get the lbs on.
    Thornit for the ears, available on Amazon. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    First night yesterday, Magnus has settled in really well.
  • Options

First night yesterday, Magnus has settled in really well.

Lovely boy. :)
  • Options
    My boys were a bit lively this morning, Valli was being a tart and walking around with her tail to one side, all settled down after I used a little industrial language. :)image
  • Options
    Does anyone have any views on a French Bulldog for first time owners?
    The other half has been dropping hints for ages that she wants one and i'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold off for much linger.

She works from home so there will be no issue re companionship and exercise etc - but we only moved into the house a year a go and have spend quite a bit doing it up....so I don't want something that will likely come in and trash the gaff (that is my perogative only).

Thoughts?!?
  • Options
    Can’t stand them.

If you need to go for an ugly small dog, try a Brussels Griffon.

Less prevalent than the French bulldog, benefit that they look like an ewok/chewbacca (George Lucas had a load of them around 1977). Also a slight less camp dog then the French bulldog or a pug where you have to be fairly confident in your masculinity shouting for ‘Tibbles’ or whatever your gf goes for as a name down the park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's going to be called Steve apparently
  • Options
    edited January 2019

The other half has been dropping hints for ages that she wants one and i'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold off for much linger.

She works from home so there will be no issue re companionship and exercise etc - but we only moved into the house a year a go and have spend quite a bit doing it up....so I don't want something that will likely come in and trash the gaff (that is my perogative only).

Thoughts?!?

I've got an English Bulldog and frenchies are very similar...They're not overly destructive even when bored. Ours has never decided to tear up sofas, cushions, etc etc. The worst he does is chews on a door mat. If they are exercised enough (which they don't need much of), they'll only want to sleep anyway. They are good with other people and other dogs (can get over excited), very playful - just need to be very careful in hot weather.

The worst part of them is the health side of things. Due to the type of breed they are more prone to being sick / regurgitation if they don't take it easy. So if you've got nice carpets, expect a battering. Do everything you can to slow them down when it comes to eating / drinking. We feed ours 3, sometimes 4 times a day to cut portion size down as well. Bowls are slightly elevated and have weird things in them to slow the boy down. Works very well for us. Oh and they generally come with a whole host of skin issues, prone to interdigital cysts, all sorts of crap. Your insurance / vet bills will be higher than a lot of other breeds.

Oh, and they are as stubborn is fuck, so training (not potty) is a bitch. Good luck teaching it to fetch.

Edit - Reading this back doesn't make it sound great, but after having this boy, I'd never have another breed. He's an absolute legend.
  • Options
    Cheers - i'd read that about the potential for lumpier insurance.

We have tiled flooring throughout the ground floor - so i'm not worrying about carpets so much.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Thoughts?!?

We were warned our dog - a Jack-Chi - would be likely to be a chewer. But he has only chewed the handle off one of my wife's Radley bags and a pair of my glasses when he was a pup in his two and a half years. Just be sure to supply your puppy with chewable toys/treats. In this way, they will learn to use these rather than things they find around the house, like your shoes or furniture, and these good habits will continue into adulthood.
  • Options
    Two reasons dogs will chew or destroy, when they are teething or when they are bored. Frozen teethingjchewable items will help the teething problems, multiple dogs or yourself will stop the boredom. Leaving a dog/puppy for too long a period of time will lead to chewing or destruction. We have only ever lost an internet filter box left on the floor after the engineers visited our home.......
    As with toilet training, people say to me. The dog has had all day to go outside but no sooner we settle down to watch a film, the dog goes off somewhere and takes a dump. The simple answer is, when you're watching your movie you're missing all the dog signals that it wants to go out.
    I had two Frenchies and two pugs come to my training, neither breed I remember being any different or more difficult to train than others. Although with a lot of snub nose breeds, the breathing noise after exercising is horrendous.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Bulldogs (OEB, French, Continental, etc.) in generall are very stubborn.
    When I call our Bulldog to heel you can see him weighing up whether to come or to fo his own thing and risk a bollocking, although this is getting bettermasmhe gets older ( now 21 months).
    We‘ve never really had a problem with chewing.
    Agree with T_C_E about the noises a bulldog can make. They can sound terrible when they have excercised or have eaten or their snoring when asleep. But we wouldn‘t swap ours for all t
  • Options

Thoughts?!?

Know someone at work who has FB puppies for sale, not available until the end of the month if you are interested @SuedeAdidas
  • Options

Thoughts?!?

Know someone at work who has FB puppies for sale, not available until the end of the month if you are interested @SuedeAdidas
    Hope they're a proper registered breeder as otherwise you really shouldn't be advertising them
  • Options
    Cheers - although end of month may be a bit soon........i gotta do some research first. Also very keen to ensure that I purchase from a reputable breeder,