Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Gilbert waiting for me to throw the ball, always up for it.
    Gorgeous, I miss our border collies so much!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Bailey showing JJ who is pack leader by blocking his recall to me, deliberately walks across his line but clever enough to do it without any eye contact. 
    Probably guilty of obstruction and a yellow card.  :D

• Options
    PeterGage said:
    A picture of my border collie, who sadly is now 12 years of age. When he was younger and I refereed young kids where I live, I used to take him with me. Without leash, I would take him on to the field of play for the coin tossing, show him the red card and he would walk off the pitch and stay on the sidelines for the duration of the game (no leash). He could dribble the ball and our head-to-head keepie uppie record is nine. He is my third border collie of the last 34 years. They are so much fun and so loyal.

Ah, the same markings, what a handsome fellow.

I know we all have our favourite dogs but in my eyes they are the best.

I did consider getting a Husky before Gilbert but in the end couldn't resist when I saw his picture on the rescue website.

To be honest Peter and this is not a comment about you but I really don't believe dogs should be off leads, except in appropriate areas.

It seems to be very fashionable to walk dogs off lead on busy london streets but it's not necessarily what your dog may do, it's what third parties might do and if you don't have the option of pulling the dog out of the way then they could be left vulnerable, I think it's very irresponsible of the owners!
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    A picture of my border collie, who sadly is now 12 years of age. When he was younger and I refereed young kids where I live, I used to take him with me. Without leash, I would take him on to the field of play for the coin tossing, show him the red card and he would walk off the pitch and stay on the sidelines for the duration of the game (no leash). He could dribble the ball and our head-to-head keepie uppie record is nine. He is my third border collie of the last 34 years. They are so much fun and so loyal.

I did consider getting a Husky before Gilbert but in the end couldn't resist when I saw his picture on the rescue website.

To be honest Peter and this is not a comment about you but I really don't believe dogs should be off leads, except in appropriate areas.

It seems to be very fashionable to walk dogs off lead on busy london streets but it's not necessarily what your dog may do, it's what third parties might do and if you don't have the option of pulling the dog out of the way then they could be left vulnerable, I think it's very irresponsible of the owners!
    I guess we will have to disagree on the dog lead debate. Suffice to say that none of my three collies have ever been on a lead because I am confident that they are/were under my control in all circumstances. My current Collie, Wilson, also has an impeccable temperament. 
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

I guess we will have to disagree on the dog lead debate. Suffice to say that none of my three collies have ever been on a lead because I am confident that they are/were under my control in all circumstances. My current Collie, Wilson, also has an impeccable temperament. 
    But what about circumstances that aren't under your control?

However unlikely, should a car swerve to avoid something and was heading towards your dog how would you pull them/it out of the way, you'd certainly have a better chance if it was on a lead?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

However unlikely, should a car swerve to avoid something and was heading towards your dog how would you pull them/it out of the way, you'd certainly have a better chance if it was on a lead?
    I fully understand where you are coming from. However, in many aspects of life we cannot cover all possible eventualities, such as getting run over crossing a road: I still cross 
  • Options
    Valli reporting for work earlier. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I think you should add an "s' to the end of Valli's name, a fitting tribute to myself @T_C_E
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I think you should add an "s' to the end of Valli's name, a fitting tribute to myself @T_C_E
    Lol, we chose the name Valli for one of 3 Shepherds puppies I rescued from a squat in Gillingham, they stayed with us over Christmas 8 years ago, they lady who now owns her kept the name and we still speak regularly on Facebook. I never ever intended to have a female but when this Valli came along there was no choice but to use the name again. Our next and last one will be a male, Taylor, Sarr or Bowyer (Bow’s) leading the way in the name stakes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

I fully understand where you are coming from. However, in many aspects of life we cannot cover all possible eventualities, such as getting run over crossing a road: I still cross 
    I guess the real point I’m making Peter, the risks we choose to take when only ourself is involved, is one thing and of course up to us.

But the risks we take, however improbable, when we’re in charge of something else, be it human or dog is something completely different and irresponsible, I’m afraid! After all if you were walking with a young toddler you’d hold its hand for safety and protection.

I’ve no doubt you’d be mortified if your dog was injured or worse killed, particularly if it could have been prevented, sorry to be so blunt!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I can't trust our JJ without a lead. Another dog can freak him out and he could run off in fear and I can't take the risk. I lost him once last Christmas when this happened and that won't happen again. fortunately he found his way home after a couple of hours but I was in bits at the time. We got a second chance - some people don't.

Since going self employed, he has been with me so much and he is truly my best mate. Anybody who owns a dog knows they are far more intelligent that non dog people realise. But they are dogs - and dogs are basically wolves - they will kill a rodent if they get the chance. Watch how they dispatch a toy by shaking it. They have their ways and we have our ways, we don't sniff around when we go for a walk, but we live together and love each other wonderfully. I think that is an incredible thing and JJ is not a second class member of our family. We don't see him as a pet, but part of the family.

Never take your best mate or mates for granted. There is no animal more special on this planet than a dog.

• Options
    I can't trust our JJ without a lead. Another dog can freak him out and he could run off in fear and I can't take the risk. I lost him once last Christmas when this happened and that won't happen again. fortunately he found his way home after a couple of hours but I was in bits at the time. We got a second chance - some people don't.

Since going self employed, he has been with me so much and he is truly my best mate. Anybody who owns a dog knows they are far more intelligent that non dog people realise. But they are dogs - and dogs are basically wolves - they will kill a rodent if they get the chance. Watch how they dispatch a toy by shaking it. They have their ways and we have our ways, we don't sniff around when we go for a walk, but we live together and love each other wonderfully. I think that is an incredible thing and JJ is not a second class member of our family. We don't see him as a pet, but part of the family.

Never take your best mate or mates for granted. There is no animal more special on this planet than a dog.

I hate the expression “Dog owner” we own our dogs registration. We share our live with them 😀
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

I hate the expression “Dog owner” we own our dogs registration. We share our live with them 😀
    Dogs are human owners.
  • Options
    Has anybody seen the film Alpha? I recommend it to any dog lover. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

I guess the real point I’m making Peter, the risks we choose to take when only ourself is involved, is one thing and of course up to us.

But the risks we take, however improbable, when we’re in charge of something else, be it human or dog is something completely different and irresponsible, I’m afraid! After all if you were walking with a young toddler you’d hold its hand for safety and protection.

I’ve no doubt you’d be mortified if your dog was injured or worse killed, particularly if it could have been prevented, sorry to be so blunt!
    Your bluntness is fine by me and I also take in your remarks and views. I guess I will finish by stating that I know my own dogs better than anybody else and judge the level of control I need to use.

Your dog has beautiful markings and reminds me of my dog, hence the posting of a picture of "Wilson", named incidentally, after the musical genius "Brian Wilson".
  • Options

Dogs may, in the past, followed the same blood lines as Wolves but after hundreds of years of breeding, some of the aggressive traits would have changed and diluted. I can only speak for my three collies and none of them have shown any aggressive traits whatsoever. I would not personally generalise.

Have a good day.
  • Options
    If one of your Collies ran off into the woods, it would revert to his/her wolf instincts. Through good training we can ensure dogs are not overly aggressive, but they are not that far diluted from Wolves despite many dogs not looking anything like them.

Wolves and any type of dog can breed and produce viable offspring and their offspring can produce offspring themselves.

• Options
    If one of your Collies ran off into the woods, it would revert to his/her wolf instincts. Through good training we can ensure dogs are not overly aggressive, but they are not that far diluted from Wolves despite many dogs not looking anything like them.

Wolves and any type of dog can breed and produce viable offspring and their offspring can produce offspring themselves.

Your statement is purely hyperthetical, given neither of us know how my dog would react if he ran off in the woods. Besides which, none of them have ever done so to support or to deny your theory. I certainly cannot comment on how others individual dogs, or breed of dogs would react in the circumstances you describe.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    True, it was meant to be hyperthetical. This is what happened to my brother's dog, Rufus, who was lost for over a week a couple of years ago and was found to be living in th elocal woods. He is a Jackpoo. 

He quickly reverted to a family dog again, although the experience did change him in some ways. He eats his food far more slowly than he used to since being found and he is more dominant with other dogs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    True, it was meant to be hyperthetical. This is what happened to my brother's dog, Rufus, who was lost for over a week a couple of years ago and was found to be living in th elocal woods. He is a Jackpoo. 

He quickly reverted to a family dog again, although the experience did change him in some ways. He eats his food far more slowly than he used to since being found and he is more dominant with other dogs. 
    Glad your brothers dog was found OK
  • Options
    Playtime.............. JJ and Valli :)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yes, given the length of time he was missing for, we feared the worst. We were surprised about his relative good condition and it was explained that he would have reverted to his instincts and all dogs have the capacity to do this, although I accept and suppose that some dogs may find it easier than others.

It is something that amazed me at the time. But dogs never cease to amaze. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Parked on a double yellow, hope he wasn’t clamped!
  • Options
    Halix said:
    T_C_E said:
    Parked on a double yellow, hope he wasn’t clamped!
    You can slag off my football team, have a pop at me, but never get the sex wrong on my dogs Valli is a female! 😉😂
  • Options
    No need to bitch about it, T_C_E !!! :smiley:
  • Options
    No pics yet of dogs at polling stations?
    Come on, Addicks - we need some light relief today!!