Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Bowyer is a good looking dog. Through this nightmare, our dogs really help.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Don’t know if others are aware - bad stomach bug is going around Kent which affects dogs quite badly - our two pups Buster and Bodie had to go to vet today as we have had 24 hours of very runny shits anywhere and everywhere, throwing up, not eating, not drinking and very lethargic (which for Springer Spaniel pups is unheard of)

It’s very contagious and if your dog(s) show symptoms, get them down the vet pronto

Buster and Bodie have had some jabs etc and some tablets to take - but vet said if you leave it the dog can get dehydrated very quickly (and I trust our vet completely - a very honest guy - he wouldn’t rip us off)
    Magnus my Spingerpoo gave me a bit of a surprise a couple of weeks ago in the morning when I walked into the kitchen. Poo & vomit everywhere, took me 1/2 hr to clean up. He was was off his food for a day or two, thought it was because he often drinks from dirty puddles.
    Personally GA, that’s something I’d try to stop him doing particularly as I know you walk in woodland. Stagnant dirty water with little or no sunlight getting at it is where lungworms form. Freshly formed rain puddles, no problem........try boiled chicken and rice if he’s poorly just to push something through his system to clean him out.  
    Gave him chicken & rice for a couple days, he was fine after that. As he was a street dog for while, that's why he drinks from puddles.
  • Options
    Bloody dog has been chewing sticks, been bile sick two days in a row at about 5 in the morning with most of it stick.

Had worsening diarrhoea last couple of days as well with today in park I was picking up watery poo that looked to me like it had blood in it.

called the vet who thinks should be ok and he’s on shirt rations of chicken and rice hoping that sorts him out. Bloody lab crosses eat any shite though the vet says so he’s on serious watch when we are out now....

last thing we need is a CT scan or a stomach op or both. 

He’s good in himself so I hope I’m just being over cautious 🤞
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    JJ is more fussy than we are. He will eat a bit of sausage, but only the high end ones. Give him a Richmond and he will turn his nose up at it. I told the wife, stop buying those bloody Richmonds. If the dog won't eat them, we shouldn't be.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Bloody dog has been chewing sticks, been bile sick two days in a row at about 5 in the morning with most of it stick.

Had worsening diarrhoea last couple of days as well with today in park I was picking up watery poo that looked to me like it had blood in it.

called the vet who thinks should be ok and he’s on shirt rations of chicken and rice hoping that sorts him out. Bloody lab crosses eat any shite though the vet says so he’s on serious watch when we are out now....

last thing we need is a CT scan or a stomach op or both. 

He’s good in himself so I hope I’m just being over cautious 🤞
    Bile sickness in the night/morning is normally hunger sickness, Bailey does it a lot. We give him a carrot or something a couple of hours before bedtime, just to put something in his stomach that’s not fattening. Try teaching the “Take, Leave” commands we are teaching because he (Bow) will pick up everything the little b@st@rd. 😉

• Options
    JJ is more fussy than we are. He will eat a bit of sausage, but only the high end ones. Give him a Richmond and he will turn his nose up at it. I told the wife, stop buying those bloody Richmonds. If the dog won't eat them, we shouldn't be.
    Try hotdog sausages or cheese, if don’t mind getting messy cut some fresh sprats or sardines up with scissors. Iceland’s normally sell bags of chicken bits either raw or cooked, Ideal for training though. 
  • Options
    Bowyer is a good looking dog. Through this nightmare, our dogs really help.
    Hopefully he’ll take after his aunt Valli ((above) in the looks department, he’s started dumping his puppy coat everywhere and pushing 3st so he’s going to be a lump. 
    Yes, with our JJ having been away now for 9 weeks and restricted exercise for the others, training with Bowyer has been a lifesaver for me. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Try hotdog sausages or cheese, if don’t mind getting messy cut some fresh sprats or sardines up with scissors. Iceland’s normally sell bags of chicken bits either raw or cooked, Ideal for training though. 
    Yes, he likes hot dogs and cheese although he only gets a tiny bit infrequently. He likes cooked chicken but prefers thighs to breast. Perfect set up that!
  • Options
    Not sure what was wrong with Magnus last night, not sure if it was the moonlight, he wouldn’t stop barking. Let him out into the garden about 2am, still didn’t stop. Ended up taking him out for a walk about 3:30am. You didn’t see me, right. Got home and he stopped for about 1/2 hour and started again. I’m up now and he’s sleeping.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A female in season locally? 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    A female in season locally? 
    Not sure, he’s chipped & snipped.
  • Options
    Recently? 
    Over a year ago probably not that then 😉
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Recently? 
    Over a year ago probably not that then 😉
    About a year ago or just over.
  • Options
    Week ten of our now enforced separation of JJ who originally went away for some confidence training, getting him out and about around people hasn’t been happening for obvious reasons but he is loose with other dogs albeit there is a 3 foot fence separating them, this wouldn’t be a issue to a Shep if it wanted to go over it but instead we see lots of happy dogs playing either side of the fence line. We see videos of him almost daily but it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done with any of our dogs and just want to give a big hug.  
  • Options
    I’ve finally caved in and agreed to the missus and kids getting a puppy. It’s been incessant over the past few weeks and they’ve broke me.

so we are getting a cockerpoo in 6 weeks time, they’ve been FaceTiming him the last couple of days, he’s 2 weeks old currently 

what have I let myself in for !!
  • Options
    This maybe of help to someone on here, it’s free and informative. 😉
  • Options
    I’ve finally caved in and agreed to the missus and kids getting a puppy. It’s been incessant over the past few weeks and they’ve broke me.

so we are getting a cockerpoo in 6 weeks time, they’ve been FaceTiming him the last couple of days, he’s 2 weeks old currently 

what have I let myself in for !!
    A lot of joy. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our Bertie gets a new chicken toy
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Bertie with his first bone! didn’t have a clue what to do at first!But soon got the hang of it!Oh every day is a thrill a minute in our house.
    Does he have a raw diet?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Hal1x said:
    Bertie with his first bone! didn’t have a clue what to do at first!But soon got the hang of it!Oh every day is a thrill a minute in our house.
    Does he have a raw diet?
    no, forthglade usually, boiled chicken and barking heads hard food.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    T_C_E said:
    Hal1x said:
    Does he have a raw diet?
    no, forthglade usually, boiled chicken and barking heads hard food.
    Fourthglade is considered Raw food I believe its just prepared so you dont have to mess about. Good stuff though, the guy who helped in its original marketing/design helped my dogs when they developed their allergies to complete dog foods/kibble. Barking heads or Laughing dog are great if you want to add biscuit although we dont very often as we like to keep our dogs on the lean side. You should have a read up on doing your own raw grub, not as difficult as some would have you believe and a lot cheaper. 
  • Options
    Had to take our GSD to the vet at 9pm yesterday.  Earlier in the evening she was struggling to stand (she's 13 so can be a bit stiff at times) but she was constantly falling to the right.  Her eyelids were flickering and she couldn't focus on us.  We feared some sort of stroke, but once the vet looked at her he said it was more likely vestibular syndrome (had to Google it when I got in).  Hoping when they call later they'll have good news and she can be treated.   I get more upset when our dogs are ill than relatives.