Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    addix said:
    Had to take our GSD to the vet at 9pm yesterday.  Earlier in the evening she was struggling to stand (she's 13 so can be a bit stiff at times) but she was constantly falling to the right.  Her eyelids were flickering and she couldn't focus on us.  We feared some sort of stroke, but once the vet looked at her he said it was more likely vestibular syndrome (had to Google it when I got in).  Hoping when they call later they'll have good news and she can be treated.   I get more upset when our dogs are ill than relatives.
    Oh mate, so sorry to hear this. 
    Just asked the question, see what I can find out for you. 🤞
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    addix said:
    Had to take our GSD to the vet at 9pm yesterday.  Earlier in the evening she was struggling to stand (she's 13 so can be a bit stiff at times) but she was constantly falling to the right.  Her eyelids were flickering and she couldn't focus on us.  We feared some sort of stroke, but once the vet looked at her he said it was more likely vestibular syndrome (had to Google it when I got in).  Hoping when they call later they'll have good news and she can be treated.   I get more upset when our dogs are ill than relatives.
    Often a reaction too........
    innoculations, flea treatments, or reaction to some medication? 
    Have you done any of these, something different?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    addix said:
    Have you done any of these, something different

It can often right it self but if it is going to will be fairly quickly.   Try boost /modulate immune system so it can fight back.  Think vets often give ABs saying it can be caused by infection in middle ear.   A good Bowen therapist will clear their TMJ (don’t ask what it stands for just know it’s the ears and sinus etc)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    addix said:

It can often right it self but if it is going to will be fairly quickly.   Try boost /modulate immune system so it can fight back.  Think vets often give ABs saying it can be caused by infection in middle ear.   A good Bowen therapist will clear their TMJ (don’t ask what it stands for just know it’s the ears and sinus etc)
    Just found out TMJ is the joint just in front of the ear where the jaw pivots. 
  • Options
    addix said:
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    addix said:

Thanks @T_C_E

The vets called a while ago and said she has responded well to whatever they gave her - along the lines of the inner ear infection you mentioned.  She can stand and walk a bit, and although she wouldn't eat anything they gave her to begin with, when a nurse went back to check on her a bit later it had all gone.  They are keeping her in for tonight and will let us know how she's doing again tomorrow.  Will have to sell a kidney to cover the bill, but who wouldn't?

Not the greatest photo, but I don't think she was impressed recently with us having the kitchen redone!

Glad, things are on the mend. 👍
  • Options
    Little fecker pulled up lame today, house arrest for 48hrs with no exercise. Serrapese for any inflammation and bed rest with a 23 week old puppy. 
    Wish me luck 😂
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    addix said:
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    addix said:

Thanks @T_C_E

The vets called a while ago and said she has responded well to whatever they gave her - along the lines of the inner ear infection you mentioned.  She can stand and walk a bit, and although she wouldn't eat anything they gave her to begin with, when a nurse went back to check on her a bit later it had all gone.  They are keeping her in for tonight and will let us know how she's doing again tomorrow.  Will have to sell a kidney to cover the bill, but who wouldn't?

Not the greatest photo, but I don't think she was impressed recently with us having the kitchen redone!

Glad, things are on the mend. 👍
    Hows things @addix
  • Options
    addix said:
    Sorry to hear about Bowyer @T_C_E and good luck getting him to rest!

Purdy is doing better thanks.  The eye flickering has gone, and, curiously, so have her cloudy eyes (which we were told was an age thing and not necessarily cataracts).  She still has a bit of a tilt to her head and insists on laying on the bare tiled floor in the kitchen which makes it harder for her to stand up, but once she's up she's OK walking about.
    Glad she's doing better, the tiled floor business could be could its getting warmer and the tiles are cooling she may even still be running a bit of a temperature. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addix said:
    Sorry to hear about Bowyer @T_C_E and good luck getting him to rest!

Purdy is doing better thanks.  The eye flickering has gone, and, curiously, so have her cloudy eyes (which we were told was an age thing and not necessarily cataracts).  She still has a bit of a tilt to her head and insists on laying on the bare tiled floor in the kitchen which makes it harder for her to stand up, but once she's up she's OK walking about.
    Look at that face 😍🥰💕
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Bertie with his first bone! didn’t have a clue what to do at first!But soon got the hang of it!Oh every day is a thrill a minute in our house.
    Age showing there screen shotting photos! 😂
  • Options

Bowyer’s first non minced meal. 

• Options
    Arrived at our house yesterday. 9 weeks old. Welcome to Rolo:

Oh my word 😍😍😍😍🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰
  • Options
    Bow’s has had four days house arrest due to injury and this morning, as fast as my missus took something from him he stole something else the little b@st@rd. Now almost 24 weeks old he’s all legs. 
  • Options

Wow ! He's beautiful !!! 

I presume you live in the US, otherwise I'd be interested to hear where you bought him....

Our son & 2 grandkids have finally persuaded our DIL to buy a puppy...medium sized breed ideally with not too much shedding & good with kids.

They have looked into a Rescue from Romania at my suggestion but DIL would rather see puppies with their Mums initially and they have NO wish to give her a reason to change her mind. 

Any suggestions would be helpful. 
  • Options

Wow ! He's beautiful !!! 

I presume you live in the US, otherwise I'd be interested to hear where you bought him....

Our son & 2 grandkids have finally persuaded our DIL to buy a puppy...medium sized breed ideally with not too much shedding & good with kids.

They have looked into a Rescue from Romania at my suggestion but DIL would rather see puppies with their Mums initially and they have NO wish to give her a reason to change her mind. 

Shepherds are technically a medium size breed Mrs F ! 😉
    Does she have particular breed in mind? 
    Then I’ll ask about, to see who knows who.
    off the top of my head, I know breeders of........
    Border terriers, Shepherds, Pekinese, Belgium Malinois (she doesn’t want one of those) Poodles. 
  • Options
    Been doing some close control training with Bow’s while confined to barracks.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some lovely photos guys and gals. Keep em coming.  As a bit of light relief here is a photo I took in a shop on the Isle of Wight just before lockdown. I rather think the shelf stackers have a sense of humour 
  • Options

Wow ! He's beautiful !!! 

Fanny, if it’s medium sized and non shedding then a cockpoo is ideal. Such a loving nature too. We bought our Freddy 7 years ago from a “breeder” on a Dagenham council estate for £500. The place was a tip and thinking back they were probably puppy traders. We got lucky but boy is he a beautiful dog inside and out 🐾🐾♥️
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

Our daughter's family have a cavachon that we "timeshare" so our son is very aware of the qualities of this breed - very like a cockapoo. 

At this moment in time, they are doing "due diligence" but when they have a short list, I'll definitely be back  for comments & hopefully pointers to specific breeders. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
     JJ loves licking the head of a pint. 
  • Options
    @Fanny Fanackapan

Hi Fanny. I live in Bermuda (used to be in Chicago). We got him from a breeder here. 

• Options
    this little fella arrives in just under 3 weeks now

Oh my 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

I’m really missing the dogs and cats.
    If this goes on for much longer I can see us getting our own.
  • Options
    Operation JJ's nail clip coming up after The Chase! He hates it. We normally take him to the vet, I hold him tight with him muzzled and a blanket over him whilst my wife talks to him and the vet clips. 

My son is going to have to hold him and I clip today. I have the safety clippers I ordered online, but am not looking forward to it. I wish there was an easier way.
  • Options
    Operation JJ's nail clip coming up after The Chase! He hates it. We normally take him to the vet, I hold him tight with him muzzled and a blanket over him whilst my wife talks to him and the vet clips. 

My son is going to have to hold him and I clip today. I have the safety clippers I ordered online, but am not looking forward to it. I wish there was an easier way.
    It’s the only logical reason to teach a dog to offer a paw in my view. 
    If I was starting afresh, sit on the floor with my dog and touch his paw if his paw doesn’t move give him a treat if does then dont. Keep doing so until it becomes habit, then progress to holding the paw if he doesn’t pull away then treat, if he does then don’t......
    place cutters nearby in view but don’t touch them touch/lift paw reward or not as appropriate. 
    Handle cutters until he’s comfortable and reward etc,