Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• edited May 2020
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Arrived at our house yesterday. 9 weeks old. Welcome to Rolo:

Wow ! He's beautiful !!! 

I presume you live in the US, otherwise I'd be interested to hear where you bought him....

Our son & 2 grandkids have finally persuaded our DIL to buy a puppy...medium sized breed ideally with not too much shedding & good with kids.

They have looked into a Rescue from Romania at my suggestion but DIL would rather see puppies with their Mums initially and they have NO wish to give her a reason to change her mind. 

Any suggestions would be helpful. 
    Fanny, if it’s medium sized and non shedding then a cockpoo is ideal. Such a loving nature too. We bought our Freddy 7 years ago from a “breeder” on a Dagenham council estate for £500. The place was a tip and thinking back they were probably puppy traders. We got lucky but boy is he a beautiful dog inside and out 🐾🐾♥️
     a second vote for the Cockapoo, Bertie has a wonderful friendly nature, was easy to house train, and his coat is easy to look after with little shedding. He’s about 16 inches tall at the shoulders at 8 months and about 12kg, though he was the biggest in his litter. However the little bugger is a character and did need to have a second bath in two days after he decided to fall/jump in the pond after a frog.
  • Interesting that some folk consider shedding/grooming troublesome l love doing it and ours are brushed daily and stripped weekly and while some may say I have more time we do have five and I spend less than an hour brushing all five and 15/20 minutes stripping per dog. For the record I don’t mind the vacuuming either so we have little dog hair in the house either. 😂
    Does anyone else raw feed their dogs?
  • T_C_E said:
    Operation JJ's nail clip coming up after The Chase! He hates it. We normally take him to the vet, I hold him tight with him muzzled and a blanket over him whilst my wife talks to him and the vet clips. 

My son is going to have to hold him and I clip today. I have the safety clippers I ordered online, but am not looking forward to it. I wish there was an easier way.
    It’s the only logical reason to teach a dog to offer a paw in my view. 
    If I was starting afresh, sit on the floor with my dog and touch his paw if his paw doesn’t move give him a treat if does then dont. Keep doing so until it becomes habit, then progress to holding the paw if he doesn’t pull away then treat, if he does then don’t......
    place cutters nearby in view but don’t touch them touch/lift paw reward or not as appropriate. 
    Handle cutters until he’s comfortable and reward etc, 

Success. It wasn't too hard at all. We will probably do at home from now on even after lockdown. Got a nice treat of some of yesterday's roast chicken we saved as his treat.
  • T_C_E said:
    Operation JJ's nail clip coming up after The Chase! He hates it. We normally take him to the vet, I hold him tight with him muzzled and a blanket over him whilst my wife talks to him and the vet clips. 

My son is going to have to hold him and I clip today. I have the safety clippers I ordered online, but am not looking forward to it. I wish there was an easier way.
    If I was starting afresh, sit on the floor with my dog and touch his paw if his paw doesn’t move give him a treat if does then dont. Keep doing so until it becomes habit, then progress to holding the paw if he doesn’t pull away then treat, if he does then don’t......
    place cutters nearby in view but don’t touch them touch/lift paw reward or not as appropriate. 

Success. It wasn't too hard at all. We will probably do at home from now on even after lockdown. Got a nice treat of some of yesterday's roast chicken we saved as his treat.
    Good for you, saved yourself a vet bill. 😉

• I can see terrier in the face (wirehaired terrier) maybe, but the coat looks almost Akita. How many crosses though could be several. 
  • edited May 2020
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:

Good for you, saved yourself a vet bill. 😉

It is only 12 quid. Glad it went so well. JJ does not like the vet. Probably because they nipped his balls off!
  • Hal1x said:
    Bertie and his chicken still seem to be getting on.

Mine had a phantom pregnancy when she was about two if I remember correctly. She had a big pink plastic bone which she clearly regarded as baby and would not let it out of her sight and got mightily pissed off if you went near it. It passed naturally as the vet said it would but it was interesting  to say the least. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Now 10 year old Therapy dog Bailey 

• Poor Freddy has always been too scared to go in deeper than his ankles but today was running around the lido wall at Westgate and slipped over the edge. Had to fish him out as he went right under😱
  • edited May 2020
    ^^^^^^

Aw, bless him !

You sure he wasn't pushed?
  • Another use for our 4-footed friends?  Please meet the first 6 dogs in a trial to see if they can be trained to sniff out CV-19.
    https://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk/six-super-sniffers-that-could-detect-cv-19/
  • Tramella Valley aka Bowyer, six months old yesterday. 😍

• JJ has a bit of a watery eye. Has that mark down his left side where it seems to have watered - quite a few dogs have these marks normally but JJ never does. His eye looks ok but must be watering for the mark. Any advice?
  • JJ has a bit of a watery eye. Has that mark down his left side where it seems to have watered - quite a few dogs have these marks normally but JJ never does. His eye looks ok but must be watering for the mark. Any advice?
    Apple cider vinegar should remove the staining, dilute and wipe away from the eye. 
    We use ACV from numerous things, added to water will help stop fleas along with spraying externally when grooming. 50/50 Is normally sufficient. 
  • They will smell like a chippy for an hour or so but it’s good stuff. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a bad smell :)
  • The Fanackapans are now the proud grandparents to our 6th "grandchild".....8 week old Rango. 

I previously mentioned that our son & his family were looking for a puppy that would grow to be a medium sized dog with minimal shedding. 

Your challenge, if you care to accept it, is to name the breed they chose.

The prize ? 

Hmmm. Will have to think about that.
  • Springer spaniel.

• 8 week old Rufus arrived today 
    Gorgeous ! 
  • muzzy said:
    Springer spaniel.

No, muzzy.
  • The Fanackapans are now the proud grandparents to our 6th "grandchild".....8 week old Rango. 

I previously mentioned that our son & his family were looking for a puppy that would grow to be a medium sized dog with minimal shedding. 

Your challenge, if you care to accept it, is to name the breed they chose.

The prize ? 

Hmmm. Will have to think about that.
    Cockerwotsit, Labrathingy seem to to be the in thing at the moment. 
    Portuguese Water Dogs are on the slightly larger size of medium, Poodles are technically medium size, but so are German Shepherds. So I’m going for PWD? 
  • No, T.C.E.

Think outside the box.....

We were totally shocked when we discovered the breed they had chosen.
  • Jackpoo
  • No. Mutts.