Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    Totally agree but we also need laws that punish these people severely. 
  • Options
    Totally agree but we also need laws that punish these people severely. 
    We do I agree, but people have the insatiable desire to get a bargain as far as animals are concerned, two people I know since moving here wanted to contact the breeder of my dogs, after contacting her they both decided she was to expensive and went elsewhere both told me they paid less than £500 for their dogs, neither could tell me the name of the breeder nor knew or saw the puppies parents, both now have issues with the dogs health and cannot contact the breeder, only last night I was speaking to the breeder of my dogs who I’ve known for 12 years, that’s what you pay for. The health checks, the X-rays and hip scores it all cost money, I’m in touch with the owners of my dogs parents, g/parents and siblings on Facebook should I need to ask something. Amazing, people won’t pay a proper breeder £1000/1200 for a health checked dog with all the correct paperwork but will part with £200/£300 x several amount of visits to find out their dogs have hip dysplasia because they’ve fallen in love with the puppy and six months later it’s lame. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    We were taking JJ for his nice long walk yesterday in the rain and my wife said, no way would we be doing this without him. The responsibility of having a dog has kept us fit and healthy. We still enjoyed that walk despite the weather and JJ has taught us to appreciate what is around us.

They say that owning a dog may even protect you from heart disease. JJ has made lockdowns much easier for us and taught us that dogs are the best creatures on this planet. Bar none.
  • Options
    I had pretty much no interest when we got Bailey, he’s my wife dog and she did everything at the start. She wanted to show him but doesn’t drive so I used to drive her to the shows, then after one show was taken ill and while in hospital I took over his exercise and loved it he also bonded with me during that time of his adolescence when he needed a strong character to guide him. Since then I’ve completely changed my attitude towards them, I loved working with other people’s dogs especially ones with supposed issues. But people I can’t deal with!
  • Options
    A very dear friend of mine who donated her life to helping the German Shepherd posted this.
    What people don’t think about when they buy from a kitchen/backyard breeder. 
    Run to the Bridge beautiful boy. 😥

DON'T BE A WALLY
    On Friday 8th January 2021 this beautiful boy came into the care of GSD Welfare Fund.  His owner had  bought him the week before from a house in East London for the princely sum of £2000.  He had mourned the loss of his previous GSD and finally felt ready to find another friend.  He saw an ad so made the appropriate call and arranged a visit.  On the phone he was told the reason for sale was because he didn't get on with the other dog.  On visiting, they found there were other dogs in the house and the seller was running some type of security set up with GSDs.  It was the old story where he felt he couldn't leave him there so paid the money.  As he was leaving, the seller advised him that "he may change character when they get him home".  And he did.  He was fine in the home but outside he went mental at everything he saw.  The owner seriously thinks this pup was drugged for the meeting.  He was man enough to admit he didn't have the skill to work with this dog so started looking for help.   He found us.  A telephone call and as always, we stepped in to help a GSD in need.  The owner could have sold the dog on to recoup some money but he wanted to do right by him.  He even gave us a donation for taking him.  My first meeting with Wally was him flying at the end of a lead to keep me away because he was scared.    After a while I bribed him with chicken ....enough for me to take his lead and bring him in.  Within days he changed.  He watched the other dogs playing and so wanted to join in.  Within a week or so he worked up the courage to do just that.  It was so lovely to watch.  He was very underweight but we thought that was just because of his bad  treatment. He weighed 22kg which for a 7 month old pup wasnt good. He was a picky eater but we just thought this was because of all the upheaval he had been through in his short life. Wally was one of the sweetest pups. He loved to be cuddled and loved.  His confidence was growing daily.  Last week some of the other dogs developed this 24 hour tummy bug going around.  They were as lively as ever but just some sickness and diarrhoea.   I fasted them for 24 hours then they were as good as new.  On Wednesday, Wally was off his food. No sickness or diarrhoea.  He was still joining in on the walk so I just thought he would be coming down with  the bug.  Thursday he was still of his food and was a bit quieter so I made an appointment with the vet which we attended Friday.  By the time we got to the appointment he was very flat.  He was given a thorough examination and treated for gastric and given an antibiotic shot with some medication to bring home.  By the evening he was no better and by early hours of Saturday morning he was very flat.  We rushed him back to the vet who immediately expressed her concerns and put him on a drip.   Bloods were taken and analysed and the concerns were Addisons disease or a blockage.  He was scanned and it was revealed his gut was twisted ...not as in bloat.  He would need surgery but they feared he wouldn't survive the anesthetic.   They needed to stabilise him but then he started a seizure and deteriorated even more and we were advised the kindest thing to do was to end his pain.  He was 7 months old.  Just a baby.  Wally had got under all our skins.  When he came to Welfare, we promised him his new life started here.  He got 2 weeks of a better life and we are struggling to understand.   This boy was so loveable that I really wanted to keep him for myself.  I know they all are and everyone one of them gets under your skin but this boy has something special. Whether its because I thought he would help me get over Eddie I dont know.  The reason I wasnt intending to keep him was that with a bit of TLC he would be the perfect dog and make a wonderful pet for someone.  We have to keep room for the not so easy ones that cannot be homed. Trying to dig deeper and put together the pieces it would seem that the original seller was buying in puppy farm pups and selling at a huge profit.   Lockdown has been catastrophic for lots of people and businesses but dogs are being used as a money making machine.  We have to try to stop that.  We are seeing more and more problematic dogs coming in.  KC registered dogs but from parents that are not health tested.  We need to spread the word and educate people.  If you intend buying a dog approach the breed council and ask for a list of ethical breeders.  Dont accept that because it is KC registered it is genuine. All breeding stock should be health tested.  People selling fancy colour Shepherds are not ethical breeders. Dont buy a pup because you feel sorry for it.  The seller will just get more.  If you really feel sorry for them stop buying these back street bred or puppy farm dogs...if there is no buyers for them then they will have to stop.  Most people that decide to buy a pup just start looking in the ads.  As breed lovers it is our responsibility to educate these people.  Usually most people that decide to buy a GSD know someone that has one, so we, as GSD owners are in a prime position to spread the word.  There is a fantastic group here on Facebook that promotes ethical GSD breeders only and they do a great job but we need to do more.  Welfare is always here for the dogs but it is soul destroying seeing what is happening.   It is beyond heartbreaking to lose a life so young.   These dogs are beings.   They have a beating heart. Please dont let Wallys death be in vain.  Let's do all we can to stop this happening to any other dogs.  If we shout loud enough people will hear.  Share this post.   Spread the word.  DON'T BE A WALLY ❤  Fly high precious boy we will not let your life be in vain ❤

• Options
    All fucking Cuuts need a good kicking so sad
  • Options
    cazo said:
    All fucking Cuuts need a good kicking so sad
    It is so sad for the dogs. 
    Firstly, 2k for a German Shepherd with no papers, health checks other what the vendor is telling you. That probably equates to paying 10k for a car, from a bloke you don’t know who tells you to meet him in the pub with the cash and all the relevant paperwork will be sent on to you within a week. How many people would hand over the cash?
    2k is a lockdown price, priced due to demand, priced because people will pay it. Before the lockdown it’s a £200/300/400 dog. It’s probably a lot worse for smaller/toy breeds as people deem those more manageable. 
    I’ve seen it first hand people’s hunt for a “bargain” where 3 people I know have asked for my dogs breeders details (not recently) and after contacting her went elsewhere to buy their dog, Two of them handed their into rescues within 18 mths the other has appalling leg problems, all of them told me “ They saved money going elsewhere for their puppy” 
    All three of them bought a German Shepherd because of Bailey’s temperament and yet went elsewhere to buy the dog rather than the lady that bred him 🤷‍♂️
    These backyard breeders rely on someone turning up feeling sorry for the pup and taking him home, if we didn’t buy them there’s no market “The End” 
    KC papers can be so easily be copied, so that’s no guide nor is kc registered. 
    It needs to stop, but who’s going to police it you supposedly need a licence to repeat breed dogs. Who’s policing that? 
    I’m not sure I know the answer. 

• Options
    As Ray, @TCE, knows Mrs RM and I breed GSD's. We always make sure the new owners are fit for OUR puppies. We never let them go to any old sod, and we check the backgrounds of the owners. We make ourselves available 'for life' of the puppies a d the owners can contact us 24/7. 
    Please NEVER buy any breed of dog without seeing the mum, as a minimum, health paperwork, and see the puppies interacting with each other. 
    We charge circa £1100 for a pup with all its paperwork, the first set of inoculations, a tattoo in the ear and microchipped.
    Do not buy from the internet or local papers, I guarantee you there will be something wrong with the pup in most cases.
    I feel sorry for people that get conned out of 0000's but I feel even more sad for the poor puppies and their mum.
    If we can stop this terrible trade then we should, it's time these nasty vicious crooks were closed down.
    Rant over!!

• Options
    As Ray, @TCE, knows Mrs RM and I breed GSD's. We always make sure the new owners are fit for OUR puppies. We never let them go to any old sod, and we check the backgrounds of the owners. We make ourselves available 'for life' of the puppies a d the owners can contact us 24/7. 
    Please NEVER buy any breed of dog without seeing the mum, as a minimum, health paperwork, and see the puppies interacting with each other. 
    We charge circa £1100 for a pup with all its paperwork, the first set of inoculations, a tattoo in the ear and microchipped.
    Do not buy from the internet or local papers, I guarantee you there will be something wrong with the pup in most cases.
    I feel sorry for people that get conned out of 0000's but I feel even more sad for the poor puppies and their mum.
    If we can stop this terrible trade then we should, it's time these nasty vicious crooks were closed down.
    Rant over!!

Are you f*** available 24/7 you’re asleep by 7.00pm 😉 😘
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our Freddie we'll have had him 2 weeks from tomorrow 😍
  • Options
    Heartbreaking story, T.C.E. 

Sleep tight, dear little Wally.
  • Options
    Another surrendered because they’ve got a new puppy and don’t have room for two dogs 🤷‍♂️ Nines years old.
  • Options
    Maybe those that don't understand why dogs are so special should watch this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz8YP3SsE_c
  • Options
    Oh my 😩
    Wally 💔
  • Options

Cant concentrate today so here is Lola in her winter coat. Rescued from a dogs home in Hong Kong and loving English winter and lock down much more than me....

Hong Kong to England, struth I bet the weather was a shock to her system! 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    took Pepperoni for a walk around Charlton Park/Maryon Wilson park today and couldn't resist stopping for a quick photo opportunity
    Great photo.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    T_C_E said:
    Another surrendered because they’ve got a new puppy and don’t have room for two dogs 🤷‍♂️ Nines years old.
    These callous bastards should be banned from owning a dog (and if I was in charge be fed into a woodchipping machine feet first).
    How long before the new pup is cast aside just like the last poor hound.
    Just as well firearms aren't freely available in this country, I'd have a field day.

• Options
    If you still give your dog cooked bones then read this and never give them to them again.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10225116143753651&id=1320862698
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    T_C_E said:
    These callous bastards should be banned from owning a dog (and if I was in charge be fed into a woodchipping machine feet first).
    Just as well firearms aren't freely available in this country, I'd have a field day.

You'd have to incapacitate me to take my dog away. How can people just give away a family member?

C Bomb these Arseholes.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    IdleHans said:
    T_C_E said:

You'd have to incapacitate me to take my dog away. How can people just give away a family member?

C Bomb these Arseholes.
    Dazzler21 said:
    IdleHans said:
    T_C_E said:

C Bomb these Arseholes.
    Same here. You'd have to kill me. Your dog is part of your family. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Curb_It said:
    If you still give your dog cooked bones then read this and never give them to them again.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10225116143753651&id=1320862698
     It doesn’t help when the big establishments sell them, everyone believes it’s ok because PAH or B&M sells them. As for rawhide it’s shocking stuff, these various chews for “keeping their teeth clean” people need to read what’s in them and then decide. 
    None of our dogs have been near a dental vets, only Bailey has slightly yellowing teeth as he was late to the raw feeding game and also he’s nearly 11. 
    Sadly we don’t check what we are feeding our dogs or at least what goes in their grub we buy it because it’s convenient or priced right. 
    Dogs choking on uncooked/raw bones is as unlikely as you or l choking on a cooked one while eating Sunday lunch, also why would you feed your dog and leave to crack on alone as with young children they need to be supervised. 
    Bakers dog food owned by Nestle, Hills Scientific owned by Colgate-Palmolive, Mars are also involved somewhere but l can’t be arsed to look it up, these are big companies with lots of dough behind them so it’s hardly surprising when you go to your vets with your shiny new puppy and ask “what’s the best grub I can give him” the vet tells you it’s the one on his shelf in reception and  we all go for it, I did! 
    I started feeding raw when Bailey developed allergies after a year of him suffering with poor skin conditions (see photo) and blood shot eyes not forgetting a £1200 vet bill, a pal told me about a guy who checked for food allergies by testing hair samples for 15 quid this was dismissed by the vet as some sort of witchcraft but needless to say £15 v £300 for more testing that hadn’t worked was a no brainier. The test results were back as we sat at Gatwick to fly on holiday I quickly phoned the kennels to ask her not to feed him what I’d supplied and to change his diet, two weeks later Bailey was unrecognisable from that day on I’ve never given him anything I don’t know what’s in it. I quit that vet after he refused to accept Bailey’s condition had improved, saying it was pure coincidence! 
    Allergies in dogs as with children are on the increase and I’m convinced it’s our lifestyle that’s the cause, plug ins around the house. One of the biggest causes of skin problems. 
    Hypa active dogs, more often than not a diet issue. But we whizz them off to the vets to have their balls chopped off ffs, some as young as 3 months old because someone told us it helps them behave better!
    We seem to to want to pump all sorts of crap into our animals because these big companies say its necessary, when in actual fact its not. We no longer inoculate our dogs after the puppy jabs (all are Titre tested), nor do we treat for fleas or worms because they have neither. Apple cider vinegar in their water will help prevent fleas and rabbits ears the same with worms worms
    If we want to give our dogs a treat we give them a chicken wing (raw) if we want to keep them occupied and an extra treat its half a pigs head (raw) training treats we buy beef hearts which are sliced and diced then cooked to prevent the mess while training.
    So many things we can give them rather than the expensive crap from shops.  

• Options
    Stan looking like he’s just done something that he shouldn’t have.....

• Options
    Trying to enjoy dinner on the sofa as a treat and being guilt tripped.
  • Options
    Lovely looking dog's. 
    Shame I can't say the same about the football's  😁