Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    You've been through the wringer this week, that's for sure.

PLEASE make sure you make time for you & the lovely Mrs T.C.E.
    It’s been very different Mrs F, but apparently what doesn’t kill you makes stronger 🤷‍♂️ X
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    We are in the advanced stages of planning a trip to Italy in May taking JJ by car. Fortunately he loves trips in the car. We have a luxury villa booked in Bologna for a couple of weeks with massive garden and pool, an apartment in Venice for a few days we but also wanted a week at the beach. There are a lot of hotels which take dogs but there are big restrictions on what they can do there. With a lot of research we have found a hotel in Rimini which seems more dog friendly than human friendly and the chef prepares dog recipes. Virtually no area is out of bounds and it has its own pet shop. Dogs are allowed poolside (though not in the pool) There is a dog friendly beach. It is our first holiday abroad with JJ and we are going to give him a great time.

As this is the first time taking JJ abroad, we have done a lot of prep already booking a lot of the venues (they have cancellation policies if Covid becomes an issue). If anybody has any questions or any advice, they are welcome.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    There are a fair number of boarding kennels who unsurprisingly have gone to the wall over the last year or so….their situation has been dire.
    I have just taken over three hours to find one for Zuben that has a vacancy for 4 nights in late September when I am at long last coming down for a Saturday and Tuesday night duo…..they’re 25 miles from where I live……but just a mile or two off the A1.
    This is because of the shortage of places, plus it is a very busy time for them……thankfully at last, they have few vacancies. 👍
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Humphrey had a few problems, his eyesight and hearing had all but gone, he had a large tenis ball sized ump on one of his glands on tne front of his neck and his legs weren't so good, BUT, we could tell that he was still enjoying life and was not in any pain or suffering. He had an old stuffed duck that we'd throw at him so it touched him and he'd pick it up and run off playing with it. That's all he wanted at nearly 14 years old. The lump was getting bigger though and I was thinking to my self whether it was time, but then one Sunday morning, I got up about 5am and went in to let them out, but he just wasn't right. He was calm, but went round in circles a couple of times before laying down. I sat with him and called my Mrs in. He got up again but just didn't know where he was and went round in circle's again. I called the emergency vet and we left pretty much straight away. He deteriorated in the car on the way there and so it was a pretty straight forward decision by time we arrived at the vets. It was almost as though he made it easy for us as he didn't want us to panic, bless him. Between us and the vet we think it was a stroke he'd had.

Poor Hunphrey. Glad it was quick and an easy decision for you. What breed was he? He looks a lot like my girl Pebbles (who is a mutt)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Jints said:
    Gribbo said:
    Humphrey had a few problems, his eyesight and hearing had all but gone, he had a large tenis ball sized ump on one of his glands on tne front of his neck and his legs weren't so good, BUT, we could tell that he was still enjoying life and was not in any pain or suffering. He had an old stuffed duck that we'd throw at him so it touched him and he'd pick it up and run off playing with it. That's all he wanted at nearly 14 years old. The lump was getting bigger though and I was thinking to my self whether it was time, but then one Sunday morning, I got up about 5am and went in to let them out, but he just wasn't right. He was calm, but went round in circles a couple of times before laying down. I sat with him and called my Mrs in. He got up again but just didn't know where he was and went round in circle's again. I called the emergency vet and we left pretty much straight away. He deteriorated in the car on the way there and so it was a pretty straight forward decision by time we arrived at the vets. It was almost as though he made it easy for us as he didn't want us to panic, bless him. Between us and the vet we think it was a stroke he'd had.

Poor Hunphrey. Glad it was quick and an easy decision for you. What breed was he? He looks a lot like my girl Pebbles (who is a mutt)
    Cheers mate. He's an English Springer from Tawny Hill Gundogs, down Sittingbourne way
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    There are a fair number of boarding kennels who unsurprisingly have gone to the wall over the last year or so….their situation has been dire.
    I have just taken over three hours to find one for Zuben that has a vacancy for 4 nights in late September when I am at long last coming down for a Saturday and Tuesday night duo…..they’re 25 miles from where I live……but just a mile or two off the A1.
    This is because of the shortage of places, plus it is a very busy time for them……thankfully at last, they have few vacancies. 👍
    Where are you @SoundAsa£ I take mine to where they were born in Northampton, but I wouldn’t leave them anywhere else. Aircon in the summer heated in the winter and off lead exercise daily. 
  • Options
    Can't tell which end is which lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Five years a Therapy dog today, our little female Valli is a firm favourite with our older guests qualified at 9 months old the earliest they can be assessed.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Can't tell which end is which lol
    You have to wait till she farts!
  • Options
    Chillin. 

TBH, if you hadn't told us, I wouldn't have recognised you....
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Bailey gave us a bit of a scare on Monday last after collapsing, at first with thought he’d just stumbled and his age he doesn’t get up quickly but it happened again a little later. At 11.5 he’s doing well but I felt sick to my stomach but I wasn’t going to watch suffer as I took Valli out to mull over my next and most important decision I tried to remain composed as I phoned my peers asking for advice many saying what I knew “You will know when it’s time” I watched Valli laying next to the fence so the children in the nursery could reach through and stroke her. “How would I tell the children” went through my head Bailey always so popular because he’s so gentle, decision made. I would exercise Bowyer then phone the vet to pencil in an appointment for tomorrow morning, barely able to compose myself as I returned home hung up the collars and leads I climbed the stairs expecting to see Bailey laying on his bed and he wasn’t there. The bastard came bounding in from the lounge to see me like 6 month old puppy with a look that said “That had you worried shithead” yes I cried as I hugged him like I’d never hugged him before. 

Bought a ramp to help him to get in and out of the car, now as your aware Bailey has been a Therapy Dog for over 10 years. He was partially trained in schutzhunde and loved to do bite work. He’s never been forced to do anything he didn’t enjoy but teaching him to use the ramp is like herding cats! In the end I had to put a collar and lead on him and urge to step onto the ramp, this put the side of my face alongside his. He fecking grumbled at me, now anyone will tell you dogs will warn you first and if your stupid enough not to listen 🤷‍♂️ I looked him without moving away “ Did you just fecking growl at me shithead” with this his ears went down he excepted the b******ing and walked down the ramp. Could have done without the theatrical performance. 😂😂
  • Options
    Today I said goodbye to the best dog in the world. He really was like a best friend. 
    Buster was diagnosed with a failing liver and cancer last week. He hardly ate anything in the last 72 hours.
    He was showing no sign of any obvious pain, I took him for a long walk this morning and he coped well with it.

My neice is a vet in Marden and she said that He would not get any better, just gradually getting worse, so it was agreed that to put him to sleep would be the best thing for Him.

I went with my sister in the car but couldn't go into the vets with her and my niece. 

Everyone who met Him will tell you nothing but good about Him, He really was a joy to be with.

I love you Buster.
    Miss you so much.
    Sorry for your loss Mog. Just remember Buster had a great life mate

RIP Buster
  • Options
    It is so hard to say goodbye to a much cherished family pet, but a necessary decision if they are going to suffer to no avail.
    Best wishes to you all.
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss P.
    Run to the Bridge Buster. 
  • Options
    That's such sad news, MOG .

My heart goes out to you as you come to terms with this dear boy's passing. 

Sleep tight, brave Buster x
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So sorry to hear your sad news MOG.

RIP Buster

• Options
    RIP Buster. Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    Enjoy those great memories, MOG. 
  • Options
    Very sorry to hear this MOG. They bring so much joy and happiness into our lives as companions and I'm sure you have some great memories of Buster. RIP, sleep tight mate.
  • Options
     :'( mog 
  • Options
    RIP Buster - in heaven you get steak for every meal and unlimited tennis balls and chews
  • Options
    From a tart to a tramp, all it takes is a seasonal change.