Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Labradors, German Shepherds & Dogs.....

Comments

• Options
    Fingers crossed for Xena, Ray.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Thanks folks, I’m hoping she’s just got caught by one of Bowyer’s teeth when playing and it’s got infected. (She does have a habit of putting her head in his mouth) 🤷‍♂️
    It’s not painful to touch, but I’m already thinking the vet will suggest biopsy/operation rather than something to let her see out her days with dignity, her sister who she was rescued with died at 5 years old so to get to her age is fantastic, we are so lucky even though she’s not been the easiest of dogs. Lol 

My word - that looks sore

Best wishes to her
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about beautiful Xena, Ray.

Sending positive thoughts for both her & you and Lynne. x
  • Options
    As he won't be herding sheep or cattle, we've been advised to give Skip a 'job' to keep his mind focussed.  His hip replacement means that long distance running/jumping is really out of the question, so we are going to train him as a scent dog.

We've signed up with Scentwork UK and we are currently giving him lots to do in the garden and around the house searching at the moment for food treats. He is thriving on it probably because it's food driven, but eventually he will work with other scents starting with Cloves and Gun Oil. There is a competitive edge to this work so we are hoping to get him to a decent level while keeping him occupied.

If he turns out to be good at it, I promise I won't bring him round to sniff in any of your greenhouses or loft spaces ;)

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    Thanks folks, I’m hoping she’s just got caught by one of Bowyer’s teeth when playing and it’s got infected. (She does have a habit of putting her head in his mouth) 🤷‍♂️
    It’s not painful to touch, but I’m already thinking the vet will suggest biopsy/operation rather than something to let her see out her days with dignity, her sister who she was rescued with died at 5 years old so to get to her age is fantastic, we are so lucky even though she’s not been the easiest of dogs. Lol 

My word - that looks sore

Best wishes to her
    Strangely it isn’t sore at all, I’ve had hold and applied light pressure and got no reaction at all and she’s just eaten half a duck carcass with no problem, she’s just been playing with Bow and she’s gets flattened by the clumsy puppy but still goes back for more. Dogs are experts at hiding illness that’s my only worry. 
  • Options
    As he won't be herding sheep or cattle, we've been advised to give Skip a 'job' to keep his mind focussed.  His hip replacement means that long distance running/jumping is really out of the question, so we are going to train him as a scent dog.

We've signed up with Scentwork UK and we are currently giving him lots to do in the garden and around the house searching at the moment for food treats. He is thriving on it probably because it's food driven, but eventually he will work with other scents starting with Cloves and Gun Oil. There is a competitive edge to this work so we are hoping to get him to a decent level while keeping him occupied.

If he turns out to be good at it, I promise I won't bring him round to sniff in any of your greenhouses or loft spaces ;)

We trained Bailey in cash work, he could find my wallet quicker than my Missus before a shopping trip. 😂
    I always wanted to try the Search and Rescue route but I wouldn’t have the time to spend weekends away with just one dog, plus Bow’s to big to negotiate rocks and alike without hurting himself. 
    Go stand in a railway station foyer and watch everyone get back on the train as they see you, it’s great fun! 😂
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Yeh, I may give that a try at Dover station.

While I was researching this I found out why explosives dogs stand stock still when they find what they are looking for.
    Common sense really I suppose ;-)

• Options
    This pair of gits decided to have a straightener in the field this morning, by straightener I mean I had to get involved. Normally a squabble is over in seconds with a bit of noise and lots of teeth so might throw an “Oi” at them and they go their separate ways, but today it escalated more than I would like so I got amongst them. I’ve got each of them by the scruff of the neck one in each hand and gave both the b@locking of their life and sent them of in different directions only for me to then stack it trying to stand up straight into the soaking wet grass. While my good lady stood there laughing and the boys happily ran off playing. 
    I fecking hate dogs 😂

• Options
    The dogs certainly look as though they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Great to see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    scidbox said:
    That's mine above. Thrown out of a car on the motorway 10 years ago and she found me. Best friend ever.
    I’ve three senior dogs now, everyday I give thanks for them. 
  • Options

• Options
    Looks similar to mine
  • Options
    So, today's conversation went something like this.

Mum; "Skip, you don't want to go out in this do you, it's pissing down?"

Skip; "Mum, I'm a Border Collie, I'm 'ard as nails"

Mum; "Oh, OK then"

• Options
    Lost her a year today❤️❤️❤️
  • Options
    cazo said:
    It always hurts. 
    Try and remember all the good times you had together 
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Had me in tears. 

Bless her heart. Sleep tight, little girl.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A traditional welcome for Granddaughter Millie when she visits, she knows not to leave the sofa until they’ve calmed and they know to keep all four corners off the furniture. 
  • Options
    There was a piece this morning on the Today programme (Radio 4) about reading dogs in schools and trials for using them to assist prisoners with their literacy problems, which might interest those who follow the exploits of @T_C_E 's dogs. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0012s7d starts at 2:50:36
  • Options
    I was asked to visit one of the 3 prisons down here by one of the officials collecting their children from the school we attend. Sadly lockdowns became the norm and it never happened, in what capacity was never discussed. 
  • Options
    Very unexpectedly lost our boy today. Went in for a fairly routine op but suffered respiratory arrest and they couldn't bring him back. Only 5 years old but it was the best five years! Shocked and devastated. RIP Chewie.

• Options
    @cafcpolo Sorry for your loss. Never great losing a loved pet. 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss. 
  • Options
    Bless his  heart ! 

Thinking of you tonight, @cafcpolo.