Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Infinitely better than the first one, which was massively overhyped and overrated.
    I just couldn't get over how silly that guy's flying feet were. 
  • Options
    Just watched Plane. 
    Typical Gerard Butler movie so if you like the “has fallen” films you’ll enjoy it. 
  • Options
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Infinitely better than the first one, which was massively overhyped and overrated.
    Just watched it. I love Marvel but phase 4 has been poor and this film I just found it dull and too long 
  • Options
    Just watched it. I love Marvel but phase 4 has been poor and this film I just found it dull and too long 
    I’m with you on this. I very nearly gave up watching it 😳
  • Options
    It won't win any awards and agree that it was a bit dull...but it was still better than the first one  :D
  • Options
    Just saw The Whale.
    I loved it, but have been reading very mixed reviews since I got home (I prefer not to read reviews before seeing a film).
    I found it quite life affirming, despite the apparent bleakness.
  • Options
    You People (Netflix)
    Jonah Hill, silly comedy really. Worth a watch and some funny moments but it's not going to get high ratings. Early doors it went overboard on the racist slurs (in jest), felt a bit over the top which is probably the message they were going for. 

6.5/10
  • Options
    Watched Bullet Train on a long plane journey the other day and quite enjoyed it, pretty silly overall but as long as you go in with that expectation (like I did) it was quite fun. 
  • Options
    The Menu - Ridiculous plot but some good performances and a decent dark comedy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Just saw The Whale.
    I loved it, but have been reading very mixed reviews since I got home (I prefer not to read reviews before seeing a film).
    I found it quite life affirming, despite the apparent bleakness.
    Found it very disappointing and really wasn't impressed by the acting. I couldn't connect with any of the characters who seemed to lack depth. Massively overrated.
  • Options
    Top Gun Maverick - an excellent example of how a film doesn't need to be meaningful or deep at all to still be a really good film. You watch it for the plane stunts and a plot you can predict with ease but enjoyable none the less.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Top Gun Maverick - an excellent example of how a film doesn't need to be meaningful or deep at all to still be a really good film. You watch it for the plane stunts and a plot you can predict with ease but enjoyable none the less.
    100%, it’s called entertainment
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Knock at the Cabin 
    (M Night Shyamalan - director)

Incredibly bad film with awful plot.... Horror film with little or no suspense.
  • Options
    Knock at the Cabin 

B*GGER ! Was hoping this one would restart his rise back to successful films. 
  • Options
    Women Talking - 6/10

The women of an isolated religious colony discover that, for years, the the colony's men have been drugging and raping them. They must decide whether to stay and fight, leave or forgive ( ! ) them. It's a decent enough chamber piece (probably more suited to a play) and a strong cast but I'm a little baffled as to how it has been Oscar-nominated for the Best Film Award. For me, it's firmly in the 'ok' category.

All the Beauty and the Bloodshed - 6/10

A documentary film which explores the career of 
    renowned photographer and activist Nan Goldin and her and her role in the campaign to hold Purdue Pharma, owned by the Sackler family, accountable for the opioid epidemic. A little disappointing and I would have preferred more coverage of the campaign, as opposed to Nan Goldin's backstory.
  • Options
    Knock at the Cabin 

The plot holes were pretty astonishing. 
  • Options
    Knock at the Cabin 

Googled it expecting awful reviews but they aren't that bad. Might give it a go just out of curiosity. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Knock at the Cabin 

Googled it expecting awful reviews but they aren't that bad. Might give it a go just out of curiosity. 
    I thought it was truly awful - surprised at the reviews. 
  • Options
    Ant-man and the Wasp - Quantumania - went in with reduced expectations based on critics’ reviews, but in hope based on audience reviews. Found it a good film and a fair enough kick off for Phase 5 of the MCU. Some humour, a very good arch villain set up for Phase 5, CGI laden, but such high standards nowadays it just fits well and thought the story was bonkers but interesting enough. Only moan is featuring MODOK so flippantly and not remaining true to his main strengths. Just appeared like the most obvious place to put the character on show I suspect. Hope he shows up elsewhere in the multiverse somehow. Anyway, 7.5/10 and will watch again when streaming.
    For DC fans, also very well worth checking out the Flash movie trailer - looks like Flash Point is well on the cards. Much to look forward to there, hopefully Affleck, Bale and Keaton…!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh FFS I am such a boomer! I have spoilered the whole bloody thing while I was trying to hide one character.  Review of new Ant-man film above…
  • Options
    Knock at the Cabin 

Just watched this... Waiting for the twist still.
  • Options
    As per the other thread but I think it’s worth warning you all twice!!

Not sure where to put this review as I suppose it’s technically a film (listed as such on Amazon Prime so I’ll copy this into the film thread too) but it’s just the latest in the long line of Alan Partridge shows. “Stratagem” his live stage show  recorded at the O2 last year. Frankly there are no words to describe how pitifully awful this is. If I had been fit to travel I would have bought a ticket for this as I previously adored Partridge so I suppose there is some perverse saving grace there. Truly truly awful.  From the opening scene you get the feeling that something is off. The character’s superbly judged ironic cringeworthyness is the central point of Partridge but this is just plain cringeworthy. I honestly can’t describe how bad it is. That’s not a recommendation that you should watch yourself to find out by the way.  Time to put the old chap down (as Alan himself may have said innocently). 
  • Options

Not sure where to put this review as I suppose it’s technically a film (listed as such on Amazon Prime so I’ll copy this into the film thread too) but it’s just the latest in the long line of Alan Partridge shows. “Stratagem” his live stage show  recorded at the O2 last year. Frankly there are no words to describe how pitifully awful this is. If I had been fit to travel I would have bought a ticket for this as I previously adored Partridge so I suppose there is some perverse saving grace there. Truly truly awful.  From the opening scene you get the feeling that something is off. The character’s superbly judged ironic cringeworthyness is the central point of Partridge but this is just plain cringeworthy. I honestly can’t describe how bad it is. That’s not a recommendation that you should watch yourself to find out by the way.  Time to put the old chap down (as Alan himself may have said innocently). 
    I feared it was just me that thought it was awful. Turned off after 1st half. Alan does not work solo (he needs people to bounce off) and 30 mins is the ideal length of being ‘partige-I-cised”. Stick to the well worked and heavily edited TV shows. 
  • Options
    Yeah I bailed on the Partridge show. I wondered if it was just not translating to the TV and maybe it was fine if you were there. I cannot think of a single Partridge thing I haven't laughed at until I put that on. 

• Options
    Finally got around to watching All Quiet On The Western Front. It's an incredible production that I think traded the chance to make us familiar with the characters for the visceral and heart-wrenching stuff. I really did get a bit lost with who was who for the first half. 

I understand the German critics are not happy with the liberties taken with the original text, which makes sense, but personally I think the film should be judged on its own merits. And it is brilliantly done. 7/8

Ant Man 3 - It's Marvel doing Marvel stuff. Felt like there was a chunk missing from the middle somehow. It's hard to explain. It's like... maybe the second act got stuck and then leaped to the third act. Although I might feel that way because I drank a massive Raspberry Coca Cola and went to the toilet halfway through. 

When the girl (who is disappointingly not as funny as the character was when she was 6) is shouting 'we need to uprise' or whatever the fuck, I was thinking, what's this we thing? When did you become part of that world? This has all happened very quickly. 

Anyway, it's standard Marvel fare and doesn't really fill me with much optimism about them rediscovering the early form.  2.5/5

• Options
    We saw it at the 02 and yes it was disappointing, hadn’t seen him live since The Man who thinks he is it but I’d say sillybillys review is rather extreme. 
    It does have a few moments but they are deffo very widely spaced apart which was a shame….
  • Options
    BalladMan said:

I feared it was just me that thought it was awful. Turned off after 1st half. Alan does not work solo (he needs people to bounce off) and 30 mins is the ideal length of being ‘partige-I-cised”. Stick to the well worked and heavily edited TV shows. 
     IBybthe sounds of it this production had no involvement with Armando Iannucci?

Partridge/Coogans best work  was with him writing 
  • Options
    Disappointed with Ant Man 3

The plot felt lazy and disorganised for the most part, even for a Marvel film - Jonathan Majors however was excellent as Kang, will be good to see him in future films
  • Options
    Disappointed with Ant Man 3

The plot felt lazy and disorganised for the most part, even for a Marvel film - Jonathan Majors however was excellent as Kang, will be good to see him in future films
    Saw it today - very disappointing.