Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: PORT VALE V CHARLTON ATHLETIC / SATURDAY 19th NOVEMBER 2022 3.00pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Oh well.

Bye Ben, its been emotional.....
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    And Port Vale do have depth do they?

Fucking joke of a comment.
    Manager is pissed off he was promised the world and then given nothing. 

He'll be gone in a few months tops and we'll still be sitting right here in lower league one. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    My only criticism of Garner, is why the fuck did he want McGrandles when we had Forster-Caskey, we even had Alex Gilbey as an option - Given the nature of nearly all our signings, you're not telling me that he didnt have a say into who we signed!!

Why didnt that go into signing the missing Striker piece of the puzzle?
  • Options
    Fair play to Garner - will definitely make it a bit harder to motivate them though 
  • Options
    Hmm. Garner deciding he's had enough of the situation he finds himself in.

Prepare for a parting of the waves. Or Garner.
  • Options
    My only criticism of Garner, is why the fuck did he want McGrandles when we had Forster-Caskey - Given the nature of nearly all our signings, you're not telling me that he didnt have a say into who we signed... Why didnt that go into signing the missing Striker piece of the puzzle?
    Because JFC was leaving and had been out for a year? 

Fairly simple. 

The fact we couldn't move him on isn't Garner's problem. That's again TS/Gallen/whoever in charge of transfers. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    My only criticism of Garner, is why the fuck did he want McGrandles when we had Forster-Caskey - Given the nature of nearly all our signings, you're not telling me that he didnt have a say into who we signed... Why didnt that go into signing the missing Striker piece of the puzzle?

Fairly simple. 

The fact we couldn't move him on isn't Garner's problem. That's again TS/Gallen/whoever in charge of transfers. 
    Garner made JFC captain in a friendly days after McGrandles signed

We also had Gilbey as an option, who whilst not great in the past for us, has been no worse than Conor

It was a pointless signing, and took the budget away from areas we needed strengthening

The handling of the whole Forster-Caskey saga has been an absolute mess, I agree, but if we were working to such a tight budget - Conor is the type of player you sign, if you've got room left in the budget, not as our second incoming.
  • Options
    Thought the Ipswich game might have been a turning point for the season but unfortunately not the case. Understand we have injuries but we're just not good enough this season to be anything other than mid table 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Fairly simple. 

We also had Gilbey as an option, who whilst not great in the past for us, has been no worse than Conor

It was a pointless signing, and took the budget away from areas we needed strengthening
    You really think the budget signing of McGrandles is why we don't have a striker? 
  • Options

Fairly simple. 

You really think the budget signing of McGrandles is why we don't have a striker? 
    Well it clearly helped take wages away from one position, to accommodate another
  • Options

Fairly simple. 

Well it clearly helped take wages away from one position, to accommodate another
    I think you're really overestimating how much McGrandles is on. 

The main reason we couldn't have the turnover of player we would have liked is because no one wants our deadwood on the wages they are on. That is the hangover from the previous two failures under NA and JJ. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    "I only had a little amount of the budget available to me."

I could understand him saying there was only a small budget, but I can't understand him saying that he was only given a limited amount of a larger budget...?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Looks like I picked the wrong day to shell out a tenner for the live feed, my first ever on a Saturday. We were just so poor all round, but Garner did say beforehand that we'd had a good weeks preparation, so more fool me and I shoulda known better, I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I shoulda known better!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    "I only had a little amount of the budget available to me."

I could understand him saying there was only a small budget, but I can't understand him saying that he was only given a limited amount of a larger budget...?
    Maybe said the 'squad budget' is X amount but the current wages are Y. 

X - Y gave him nothing to work with because we couldn't move anyone on. 
  • Options
    I can't wait for our World Cup break.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Said on here before but things are so bad I can see us in Div 2 in a couple of years.

So depressing. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Whilst what Garner says is correct it doesn't help anyone coming out with some of the stuff he has come out with this season. A lot of it just feels like he is trying to protect his reputation if things go wrong, and dare I say it, like he's just making excuses.

It can't possibly motivate the existing squad being told time and time again that they are essentially not good enough, and that if circumstances were different he would have got rid of half of them. Regardless of your occupation if you have a manager like that essentially saying none of you are good enough then it is never going to end positively.

Many of the players aren't good enough,  however you don't need to be a good manager to identify that. We can all see it.

A good manager however works with what they have until an opportunity comes up to get someone/something better. It seems pretty clear we are not going to be pulling up trees in the January window and what Garner has he is going to have to work with, yet he doesn't strike me as someone enjoying his job and that is only going to rub off negatively on the players he does have at his disposal.

Garner deserves time like all managers, however some of the performances this season have been absolutely woeful regardless of the quality/lack of quality in this squad. This season alone we have had at least 3-4 matches which rank as some of the worst I have ever seen as a Charlton fan, today included. 

I don't think many people think this is a squad that's going to get promoted this season without some serious investment, but there is no excuse for performances like today.

Absolutely nailed it mate. Spot on.
  • Options
    Garner's comments are reminiscent of Scott Parker's just before Bournemouth sacked him...
  • Options
    Bring the strikers in from the u21s/u18s, let them find their feet and give them a run in the side. I watched Paul Walsh as a kid, from memory can't remember who the manager was? Andy Nelson? within weeks he was up and running. Playing stockley with the kids does not work! To me Stockley has to come out of the side!

Defensively get rid Innis & Lavelle, I would rather have DEJI and NESS which has the potential and you wont have problem with mobility or pace and they would not back of and watch one opposition player take on 3 of ours and put the ball in the net. 

Someone said earlier Derby were in dure straights with Nothing and only 5 players signed, we should have done the same and got rid of the rubbish who were clearly not up for It
  • Options
    No doubt Garner could do slightly better with what he’s got but I’m glad he’s coming out and saying these things. He’s literally the only person who has a voice here.