Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: PORT VALE V CHARLTON ATHLETIC / SATURDAY 19th NOVEMBER 2022 3.00pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Sitting on my last train home and reflecting on the day.  For various reasons I haven’t been to as many as I want, but today was dire and nothing has encouraged me to make the effort to do more aways.  Absolutely nothing up front. Without parroting more obvious posters we ain’t going to win without scoring 
  • Options
    I'm very worried that TS might throw his toys out of the pram following BG's comments today. If he bins him off then TS is more stupid than most think 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Off_it said:
    Thing is Benny boy, WE expected different from YOU when you joined the club as well.

So just get on with doing your job and stop whining like a child.
    Behave. 
    He's been shafted by banjo boy.
    The buck stops with Sandgaard 

😉🤪
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    So TS is right that we had a top six budget, a bigger budget than last season too just that he hasn’t let Ben have access to it. Time will tell if anything changes in January spending wise but I just can’t see it. TS will probably instead decide its Ben’s fault and the merry go round starts again. Nothing will essentially change until TS leaves. Ben is right in what he said above.
    Yeah I would guess both statements are broadly true. We probably have a total budget at the higher end of the division, but a lot of it was already spoken for when Garner came in so he’s had to supplement the squad from the discount shelves. It shows.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I feel sorry for Garner, saddled with this bunch. You can see what he wants from them but they just can't deliver it 
    Why exactly do you feel sorry for him ? Who do you think tells these players to pass it aimlessly round the back? Despite how poor these players are, they should still be beating port vale comfortably 
    It's a good point. We have loads of coaches who spend all week, presumably working on this crap and telling them to continue when it's obviously not working, instead of a plan B, like get it upfield and close down your opponents. 
  • Options
    The owner is not up to it, the manager is not up to it and the players are not up to it.
    Whether things would be any better under a new owner, a new manager or with new players is academic. We are stuck with the whole lot and they are failing. Unless one or other changes, failure is what we are stuck with.
  • Options
    My only criticism of Garner, is why the fuck did he want McGrandles when we had Forster-Caskey, we even had Alex Gilbey as an option - Given the nature of nearly all our signings, you're not telling me that he didnt have a say into who we signed!!

Why didnt that go into signing the missing Striker piece of the puzzle?
    Next he will be confirming that he can't afford to play Forster-Caskey.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Re: investment in Jan, it’ll be take whatever someone offers for Leaburn and a couple of loans 
    100%. Hoping Leaburn is still injured so we have a chance of seeing him second-half of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very disappointing early morning news.
    Why can't we win more often? 
    It must be healthier than this...
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Thing is Benny boy, WE expected different from YOU when you joined the club as well.

Behave. 
    Of course it does. 

But if you're the manager you have those conversations in private and/or with the owner, not with the press.

As it is we've now got him openly saying "the team isn't good enough and this isn't what I was told or expecting" (so I'm not happy). So how's that going to get a result in the next game?

When you're a manager - in any field - you don't go moaning to your staff or your customers that life is shit. You just don't. They can think that if they want, but it's your job to manage the situation as best as you can. That's the first 10 minutes of any management course in any field.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Behave. 
    Of course it does. 

But if you're the manager you have those conversations in private and/or with the owner, not with the press.

As it is we've now got him openly saying "the team isn't good enough and this isn't what I was told or expecting" (so I'm not happy). So how's that going to get a result in the next game?

When you're a manager - in any field - you don't go moaning to your staff or your customers that life is shit. You just don't. They can think that if they want, but it's your job to manage the situation as best as you can. That's the first 10 minutes of any management course in any field.
    Absolutely correct 
  • Options
    Stupid comments from Garner…he’s just lost the dressing room. You’ve basically told the players they are not good enough. We all know that but to say it in public is out of order. Reminds me of Bowyer at the end. Tactics were not right on a shitty pitch. I bought a Charlton TV season pass for 200 quid….waste of money. Feel sorry for the fans that travelled. I’m done 
  • Options
    I drove for 10 hours for that and clearly, consequently, could not drink. I must be mad!! New tick though 👍
  • Options
    Strong words from Garner. I think it's now a case of who blinks first.

Gut feeling is that Garner will be gone by February 
  • Options
    Garner post match shows he really hates Port Vale after last season with Swindon. Their goal? 3 players? Pathetic.
    Garner stop moaning about your budget, we don't care. Your team costs more than Port Vale and the wage bill is higher.
    Jan important? Dream on? No funds, no available players, no loans, sell what you can. 
  • Options
    As someone has already mentioned Leaburn, JFC and Dobson. The rest of the squad outside of JoJo ans Fraser have little or no value. Sandgard lost out when he was unable to attract investment into the club. The value of Peter Varney and Curbishley to come on board and advise, but Sandgard has only one mission and that is his way, but sadly it will be the highway for Thomas and Martin.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Behave. 
    Of course it does. 

Wonder if you had these same opinions when Bowyer used to slag off the team week-in and week-out during a bad run? 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Behave. 
    Of course it does. 

Wonder if you had these same opinions when Bowyer used to slag off the team week-in and week-out during a bad run? 
    Yep, absolutely.

But saying the team put in an unacceptable performance is one thing, saying the squad isn't good enough is quite another. Effectively saying, to the press, the owner has over-promised and let you down is a whole different ball park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As someone has already mentioned Leaburn, JFC and Dobson. The rest of the squad outside of JoJo ans Fraser have little or no value. Sandgard lost out when he was unable to attract investment into the club. The value of Peter Varney and Curbishley to come on board and advise, but Sandgard has only one mission and that is his way, but sadly it will be the highway for Thomas and Martin.
    No one is paying a fee for JFC.  He’ll be lucky to find a club willing to take him on for what he’s on now wages wise.  He’s held in high regard by many for reasons I can’t understand, but even if you rate(d) him, he’s on the back end of his career now after the injuries.  I think he could maybe go abroad and earn some money, or roll the dice on less money at someone in League 2 or someone on a similar level to us in League One.

if I wanted promotion out of this league, I wouldn’t take him 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    You know when you see kids playing a match, and they need to spread out because they all want to be on the ball?
    Well we need the opposite of that. 
    It’s noticeable that when the likes of CBT or JRS are running with the ball they always seem to be isolated. No one busting a gut to support them, or making runs into the box. 
  • Options
    Watching the ITV EFL show, our defeat got NO comment at all, which rather sums up where we are this season. Mid table mediocrity.
  • Options
    The sign of real progress is not being able to despatch higher teams like Pompey and Derby and Plymouth and put four past Ipswich where the pressure is off and everyone raises their game to the level Of the opponentIs it is how we despatch those teams beneath us on s regular basis!  To that end, we have not improved since Jacko. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    We cannot play Garnerball. After 19 games the players are still struggling to adapt to it. Accept it and introduce more  tactics to better utilise the players strengths. Oppositions have sussed us out and hard press us evry game and force us into mistakes because we are not quick enough. High possession rates are meaningless without anything to show for it. And it`s so boring to watch. 

• Options
    Garner will be sacked soon if we continue to flounder in mid table.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cabbles said:
    Re: investment in Jan, it’ll be take whatever someone offers for Leaburn and a couple of loans 
    100%. Hoping Leaburn is still injured so we have a chance of seeing him second-half of the season.
    Come on, we all know that Leaburn will return from injury on 28th Jan, tear Bolton new one and by the time we visit Exeter the following Saturday we'll all be saying, "It's project break-even, inevitable, but why couldnt we sell Stockley instead? "

Vale fans view of Garner is quite funny, but true....

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2022/11/league-one-manager-in-danger-of-the-sack-moans-about-port-vale-again/