Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

E-Scooters

Comments

• Radio saying that the rider stopped and apologised to the child and mother then rode off. They believe that he didn’t realise how serious the collision was.
  • shocking, hope the little one is ok - am sure this won't be the last of these sort of stories around e-scooters, I've seen some of them belting along

(what was a 3 year old doing in the park at 8.30pm?)
  • Yea I see that too on sky news that he stopped to say sorry.

'Sorry for smashing my illegally driven e-scooter into your 3 year old daughter causing her life changing injuries but I must dash'
  • shocking, hope the little one is ok - am sure this won't be the last of these sort of stories around e-scooters, I've seen some of them belting along

My guess is that his mum took him out to get some fresh air and exercise once the worst of the heat had passed, much the same as people should be doing with their dogs at the moment
  • I live on a road where the houses have drives, many of which have hedges and walls which obscure the driver's view of the pavement, so they have to edge out very slowly. Some of the e scooter 'drivers' who ride along the pavement at great speed, wouldn't stand a chance if a driver sees them too late.

I hope the parents who buy these scooters for their children, are aware of the risks they are taking with their children's lives.
  • I live on a road where the houses have drives, many of which have hedges and walls which obscure the driver's view of the pavement, so they have to edge out very slowly. Some of the e scooter 'drivers' who ride along the pavement at great speed, wouldn't stand a chance if a driver sees them too late.

I hope the parents who buy these scooters for their children, are aware of the risks they are taking with their children's lives.
    I doubt they give a toss. They buy an illegal to drive on public places vehicle and expect their offspring to to behave in a sensible manner. I think not. 

Maybe too hot to sleep, had a long sleep during the day. It’s wasn’t 1am! 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    As annoying as they are, I really don't see the difference between them and the electric bikes flying around. Some of those bikes are super quick and surely come under the same laws as the scooters.
      Scooters are not easy to see, the riders wear dark clothing,  they are not fitted with lights, are often ridden on pavements, the wrong way on one way systems and sometimes groups of yoof using threatening behaviour to everyone.  The electric bikes are more expensive so a bit more exclusive. 

On the continent in many countries if a law doesn't exist permitting say , an electric scooter then it isn't legal.

In England if a law doesn't exist regarding these they are automatically legal .  I know which way I prefer it. 

Say goodbye to an awful lot of inventing.
  • I've just these two, she's showing him something on the pnone. 
    Two Police cars went past and ignored them.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've just these two, she's showing him something on the pnone. 
    Two Police cars went past and ignored them.
    Very safety conscious - I hope the motorists take as much care. Impressed at how safety conscious most E-scooter users are in Greenwich and Charlton.

I don't think they are illegal to use anymore as it seems okay to use them on the pavement, on the road and also going in the wrong direction on the road. 

• Was out with the MET CVU at Albert Embankment yesterday, clocked one at 29mph in a 20 zone.
  • Was out with the MET CVU at Albert Embankment yesterday, clocked one at 29mph in a 20 zone.
    Speed limits don't apply...
    Speed limits don't apply...
    No action was taken other than intelligence gathering. 
  • It's reassuring that e-scooters can be used illegally and also break the speed limit. I imagine they'll just keep getting faster.
  • The latest trend is for e-scooters with seats. Able to travel at speed - so dangerous.
  • Crusty54 said:
    The latest trend is for e-scooters with seats. Able to travel at speed - so dangerous.
    If only there was a law in respect of it?
  • Crusty54 said:
    The latest trend is for e-scooters with seats. Able to travel at speed - so dangerous.
    It seems there is. The Met has been confiscating e-scooters. They can only be used in designated areas in parks.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    As annoying as they are, I really don't see the difference between them and the electric bikes flying around. Some of those bikes are super quick and surely come under the same laws as the scooters.
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about E Bikes.  Generally in the UK E Bikes are limited to providing assistance only. This means that the rider needs to pedal the bike otherwise it doesn't move.  You can cycle an E Bike without any assistance or you can add assistance normally in stages where the motor contributes say 20%, 40%, 60% or 80% of the work depending on which setting you have selected.  Normally when riding on a flat level surface you might chose zero contribution from the motor. On an incline you might switch to 20% or 40% depending on the gradient.  If you're daft enough to try and cycle up Shooters Hill then you might switch to 80% assistance but in all of these cases, if you stop pedalling then the bike stops. 
    I have seen illegal  E bikes on a couple of occasions which are fitted with a twist grip and these will move without pedalling but these are very scarce (thankfully) in the UK.  Most E Bikes are used by older people who want to cycle for leisure but with the benefit of undertaking some exercise and also note that you won't see much lycra clothing on E Bike riders, they're a different breed.

• Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    It seems there is. The Met has been confiscating e-scooters. They can only be used in designated areas in parks.
    Not near me....
  • Sponsored links:

• Nearly got hit by one the other day when walking on a path. Thankfully the rider looked up from his phone long enough to swerve around me. Arsehole magnets these things
  • Had one overtake me on marylebone road tonight. Must have been doing 30mph.
  • With the congestion charge in London and thinking about the environment I think cars should be banned  from the roads in central London.only delivery or essential transportation should be allowed.why anyone wants to drive in central London at 5mph I don’t know. Got to be better to get train in and use a bike or these scooters if the roads can be planned out properly think it’s the future. 
  • With the congestion charge in London and thinking about the environment I think cars should be banned  from the roads in central London.only delivery or essential transportation should be allowed.why anyone wants to drive in central London at 5mph I don’t know. Got to be better to get train in and use a bike or these scooters if the roads can be planned out properly think it’s the future. 
    I doubt any Government is capable of doing the required planning.
    People dont drive in central london and pay the 15 quid for the fun of it.
  • edited October 2021
    Cyclist regularly suddenly come up behind me on the pavement, (I say suddenly because for me I don’t hear them) and they expect me to get out of their way, the same goes for the electronic scooters.
    I accept (but don’t really like) that such vehicles are on the pavement, but they should not have priority over pedestrians.
    If you scooter or cycle and you come up behind people ‘blocking’ your pavement, get off and walk.
  • seth plum said:
    Cyclist regularly suddenly come up behind me on the pavement, (I say suddenly because for me I don’t hear them) and they expect me to get out of their way, the same goes for the electronic scooters.
    I accept (but don’t really like) that such vehicles are on the pavement, but they should not have priority over pedestrians.
    If you scooter or cycle and you come up behind people ‘blocking’ your pavement, get off and walk.
    It's worse if you're walking on the towpath near a river when they assume right of way and can get quite aggressive. 
  • I wonder how long it will be before the police start using E-Scooters?