Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tokyo Olympics

Opening ceremony isn't for a couple more days but a couple of sports have already started, softball and football.

Hoping for an excellent showing from Team GB. :-)

Comments

• edited July 2021
    The GB women's football team are in a Group with Chile, Canada and hosts Japan.

Their first match against Chile kicks off in exactly six hours in Sapporo. Kick off at 8:30am UK time.
  • Japan get things kicked off with an 8-1 win over Australia in softball.
  • Be amazed if events don't get cancelled left ,right and centre.
  • I was meant to attend it. 🥲
  • England, sorry, GB looking comfortable.

White totally at fault there for being offside.
  • edited July 2021
    Argentina v Australia is tomorrow morning in the Mens Football

KO is meant to be about 11:30am English time if I remember the time difference correctly

White totally at fault for being in the right place to open the scoring.
  • The Games haven’t even properly started yet and we’re already winning!!

🇬🇧
  • In other news... Brisbane has been awarded the 2032 Olympic Games

Means they'll follow Paris (2024) and Los Angeles (2028)
  • Sponsored links:

• Brisbane confirmed as the 2032 host.

Has been a bit of a muted announcement.
  • Must admit I don’t watch a lot of women’s football but was impressed with the technical ability of GB players. Passing was crisp and very good movement off the ball. Very impressed with the Scottish player Little in midfield, like a female Fabregas the way she looks about when receiving the ball. Just once again the goalkeeping standard let down the game, Chile goalie was shocking.

Christ, I’ll be 47 when those Brisbane games come around (probably too old to make the team!).
  • se9addick said:
    In other news... Brisbane has been awarded the 2032 Olympic Games

Christ, I’ll be 47 when those Brisbane games come around (probably too old to make the team!).
    Yeah I'll be 49 come 2032!! 

• was the Chile goalie wearing evening gloves ?

seemed to go halfway up her arms

• Sweden lead 2-0 over the US women.
  • Now 3-0. US women haven’t lost in two and half years.
  • se9addick said:

A fellow 1983 baby? What month?
  • CAFCTrev said:
    se9addick said:

A fellow 1983 baby? What month?
    October here
  • Sponsored links:

GB's potm is Scottish...

I was out on the Gold Coast for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. What a gorgeous part of the world and a great Games.
  • This young lady was well fancied for GOLD .. Tokyo Olympics: British medal hope Amber Hill withdraws after testing positive for Covid-19 - BBC Sport

I suspect there will be a lot medals being won by competitors who win them through the intervention of covid .. not their fault of course, but still unfortunate for those who miss out
  • There will always be a few medals won because the world number 1 was injured or absent for some other reason. We're likely to see more of that this time round. Let's hope the isolation protocols they're using for the games hold the line and we don't end up with events wiped out due to large numbers of positive tests.
  • se9addick said:

I’ll be 62 but still in with a chance to make it in as goalie for team GB’s women team , if I get the op done in time 
  • Now 3-0. US women haven’t lost in two and half years.

They have now.
  • US women’s team getting a lot of stick for kneeling during their anthem and not before the kick off. 3 of their players stood up.
  • US women’s team getting a lot of stick for kneeling during their anthem and not before the kick off. 3 of their players stood up.
    From whom?  There are a lot of right-wingers in the US who hate the USWNT and make up lies about them.  They'd give them stick if they came on the field in Just Say No shirts.

• Must admit I don’t watch a lot of women’s football but was impressed with the technical ability of GB players. Passing was crisp and very good movement off the ball. Very impressed with the Scottish player Little in midfield, like a female Fabregas the way she looks about when receiving the ball. Just once again the goalkeeping standard let down the game, Chile goalie was shocking.

Pleased you saw that ! First half was good crisp passing with the midfield 3 pulling the strings: Little, Weir and Walsh. 2nd half, in control and Bronze her normal powerhouse display as a right wingback.

Casey Stoney was not only a top footballer  but she is a top coach and I like her analysis on kim Little when she said she scans  constantly. White has gone from running the flanks to being a central striker in last couple of years.

The Chile keeper was superb last time I watched her but she was poor today. Mega bags under her eyes, may be allergic to Japanese pine AKA Acers.

Monty Don for CL, in Japan.