Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Options
    Not to mention other Nations have learnt to close the gap since 2012

Dont think we've been that great in the track cycling for a while now have we?
  • Options
    With lottery funding, it's a lot easier to stay for games after games, even in minority sports with no real audience and little sponsor interest
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Not to mention other Nations have learnt to close the gap since 2012

Dont think we've been that great in the track cycling for a while now have we?
    We have never been AS dominant between Olympics as we are at the Olympics.  Hence the the rounder wheels comments.   Jason Kenny only appears to get out of bed every 4 years.

The Olympic silver?  Beaten by Chris Hoy. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    You've reminded me actually @Cafc43v3r

Swear I remember reading something about our success at the Olympics (might have been in one of the books from Cavendish) but here in Britain, the Olympics have always been treated as the pinacle, probably because it generates more viewing etc.

Elsewhere though, the French and the Germans etc. would treat the World Championships as the pinacle of the Sport. It meant that when it came to the two events, we'd always prioriise ensuring we had the newest equipment ahead of the Olympics, whilst the others would ensure that they had it for the Worlds
  • Options
    You've reminded me actually @Cafc43v3r

Swear I remember reading something about our success at the Olympics (might have been in one of the books from Cavendish) but here in Britain, the Olympics have always been treated as the pinacle, probably because it generates more viewing etc.

Elsewhere though, the French and the Germans etc. would treat the World Championships as the pinacle of the Sport. It meant that when it came to the two events, we'd always prioriise ensuring we had the newest equipment ahead of the Olympics, whilst the others would ensure that they had it for the Worlds
    Yup rounder wheels, pointyer helmets, tighter suits.  This is interesting/telling

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_record_progression_track_cycling_–_Men's_team_pursuit 
  • Options
    BOOM ! 1st medal in the bag and I think I now know that if you get your opponent on their back in judo you win. 
    Congrats Chelsea ! ( never thought I would ever say that lol )
  • Options
    The question at the back of my mind is, are we going back to being the 'just happy to compete Great Britain'?
    You mean the only Country who has won at least one Gold Medal in every Olympics?
  • Options
    Why is 3x3 Basketball in the Olympics? We already have Basketball.

Just watched a game on BBC, it’s shit. Players missing easy lay ups and no dunks. Terriblre.
    I was wrong, the skateboarding is the worst sport. Even the commentators are struggling. What a load of shit.
    One of my darkest secrets is that I have a weird interest in competitive skateboarding despite having never skateboarded (and I would be utterly dreadful).

Not enough to watch it live at 3am, but got up early to watch a recording and it was a good story with the poster boy Horigome winning gold & the venue being in his home district within Tokyo.

There was a big upset too with Nyjah Huston not making the podium. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    BOOM ! 1st medal in the bag and I think I now know that if you get your opponent on their back in judo you win. 
    Congrats Chelsea ! ( never thought I would ever say that lol )
    I tried Judo as a kid but was put off with the cheesy feet smell emanating from the mats you had to sit around until it was your turn. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    The question at the back of my mind is, are we going back to being the 'just happy to compete Great Britain'?
    You mean the only Country who has won at least one Gold Medal in every Olympics?
    Summer olympics 
  • Options
    Our lad currently going for gold in the taekwondo.
  • Options
    Silver in taekwondo

• Options
    Was behind in final round/ did well to get back ahead and then fell behind with 6 seconds left 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Was behind in final round/ did well to get back ahead and then fell behind with 6 seconds left 
    It felt to me that it could have gone one way or the over. Immense credit to him. Well done.
  • Options
    I think it's a pretty consistent pattern that host nations continue to do better then normal for a couple of games after the one they host, then fade back to their normal level. The coalition government didn't invest as much in grass-roots sport as had originally been planned (they of course would point out that the original plan pre-dated the 2008 financial crash) so we shouldn't be to surprised if we go back to something closer to our old level of a gold or two per games and don't get a massive permanent boost from it. If we want lots of Olympic medals, we have to spend lots of money on grass-roots investment in sports none of us have heard of, and I'm not sure how many of us would vote for a politician who promised that.
  • Options
    According to the TV Times, Alice Kinseĺla will lead the way for Team GB in the women's gymnastics team final early on Tuesady morning  scheduled from around 9am.. 
  • Options
    I think it's a pretty consistent pattern that host nations continue to do better then normal for a couple of games after the one they host, then fade back to their normal level. The coalition government didn't invest as much in grass-roots sport as had originally been planned (they of course would point out that the original plan pre-dated the 2008 financial crash) so we shouldn't be to surprised if we go back to something closer to our old level of a gold or two per games and don't get a massive permanent boost from it. If we want lots of Olympic medals, we have to spend lots of money on grass-roots investment in sports none of us have heard of, and I'm not sure how many of us would vote for a politician who promised that.
    The lottery money allocation has changed now as well.  Up until the last round you got sod all if you wouldn't win a medal.  If like cycling or rowing you can almost guarantee multiple medals you got what ever you wanted.  We won't go back to the 90s levels of medals for a very long time though. 
  • Options
    In the 2012 Olympics it took GB until day 5 to win it's 1st Gold medal with Helen Glover and Helen Stanning in the coxless pairs.

On Day 3 tomorrow it will be a major shock if the best GB swimmer of all time doesn't win the 100m Breaststroke gold tomorrow; Hopefully Adam Peaty see's pressure as a privilege.

As Jade Jones found out you have to do it on the day and reputations can count for nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    loving the skateboarding. hard to mark the tricks though. 
  • Options
    Saw that Peaty in the first heat won with the 8th fastest time ever. 

He also has the 7 times that are faster than that !

unbeaten over 100m
    for seven years 

Waiting for him to false start! 
  • Options
    Skateoarding as an Olympic sport??

What a load of woke nonsense!!

God I'm getting old
  • Options
    Nose Ollies and Pop Shovits?

Gave up after five minutes - about as exciting as Dominoes.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Skateoarding as an Olympic sport??

What a load of woke nonsense!!

God I'm getting old
    Woke?
    After a Sunday afternoon snooze?🥱😴
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Well done the Austrian woman in the cycling. Broke away at start and held on for the whole race 
    Absolutely incredible ride, she hasn't even had a pro team since 2017 I think. 

To win in the way she did by being in the break from the gun and then going solo from it is very rare in itself, but to do it against the names she was racing against with no team support is unheard of. 

I do not think it would be a stretch to say Anna Kiesenhofer's win today was one of the biggest upsets in cycling history, there aren't enough superlatives to describe it! 

• Options
    loving the skateboarding. hard to mark the tricks though. 
    I’ve long been of the opinion that any sport that requires a panel of judges to decide the winner has no place in the Olympics. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Why is 3x3 Basketball in the Olympics? We already have Basketball.

Just watched a game on BBC, it’s shit. Players missing easy lay ups and no dunks. Terriblre.
    I was wrong, the skateboarding is the worst sport. Even the commentators are struggling. What a load of shit.
    One of my darkest secrets is that I have a weird interest in competitive skateboarding despite having never skateboarded (and I would be utterly dreadful).

Not enough to watch it live at 3am, but got up early to watch a recording and it was a good story with the poster boy Horigome winning gold & the venue being in his home district within Tokyo.

There was a big upset too with Nyjah Huston not making the podium. 
    The recent hot weather has totally buggered my sleep pattern, so I actually saw the trick section live, and the number of attempts that failed to stick the landing were incredible. I do wonder if there was an element of "chasing your losses" for Nyjah, in that as the rounds progressed he needed to attempt even more difficult tricks in order to get into the medals, which made the landings even harder to stick.