Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Comments

• so palpatine suddenly pops up in this one? There was EU lore that he had cloned himself countless times to make sure he never died. Might have borrowed from that?

Still just can't quite get the empathy to the new characters, but fuck if C3PO is a goner I'm gonna bawl my eyes out.
  • edited October 2019
    so palpatine suddenly pops up in this one? There was EU lore that he had cloned himself countless times to make sure he never died. Might have borrowed from that?

Still just can't quite get the empathy to the new characters, but fuck if C3PO is a goner I'm gonna bawl my eyes out.
    Threepio can do one. If I had the chance to redo the prequels the first thing I'd change is the ridiculous attempt to cram as many original trilogy characters into it as possible regardless of plot or logic. As a result of that I now have an irrational hatred of both C3PO and R2D2 as they are the worst culprits. /rantover

I suspect the C3PO scene in that trailer is a prelude to red-eye 3PO that we saw in the earlier trailer. He was about to plug himself into something and I bet he gets 'possessed' in some wierd way.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Pavo said:
    Where are the plot holes in the new movies? I think that the expedition to Canto Bight in TLJ was more filler, than any value add to the plot, but as somebody who knows all of these movies back to front, I can’t call out one. If anything, the prequels and sequel trilogies have tried to fill in every hole in the story. The animated series even more so, explaining much more about the Jedi, for example.

Canto Blight was an interesting story on paper (introducing the grey area of villainy in a story that had to date been pure light and dark and expanding the world in a way Disney can make the most of) and I maintain that it was RJ struggling with Finn that made a mess of that plotline.

I think there are a few things that, while not holes, were illogical in TLJ. Like the 'bigger' ships being slower in gravity-free space. Not that that stuff bothers me at all - the physics of space has never made any sense in Star Wars! Fire and sound in particular. But that's the interesting thing about all this to me - stuff that is thrown at TLJ could be thrown at ANH or ESB, yet for some reason people went along with it back then (and still do). 

For instance, Poplcon's comment about Snoke's story not making any sense. Palaptine didn't get any more backstory in Jedi than he Snoke did in TLJ, and I reckon they probably got the same amount of screen time. We knew all we needed to know about Snoke for the story to work. It wasn't supposed to be a mystery, it wasn't supposed to have a twist (although if you're looking for a twist, why ignore the fact that he got killed 1.5 movies earlier than you expected?). 

Film is an extremely lean and economical medium as far as story telling goes, particularly in an action adventure like Star Wars.  If action doesn't move the plot along it is entirely superfluous.  You could take the whole Canto Bight section out of TLJ and it wouldn't make any difference to the story.  Finn had the potential to be an interesting character, a turncoat stormtrooper, there's plenty of stuff you can do with that.  Instead, Rian Johnson completely ruined him in TLJ, turned him in to (unfunny) comic relief and basically a failure at everything he tries.

Additionally, it illustrates how fundamentally Rian Johnson misunderstands what Star War is all about.  This is not the place for his nihilistic takes on things, that everybody is as bad each other.  Star Wars stories are told as myth and archetype.  Good guys are good, bad guys are bad.  The good guys win and the bad guys lose.  It's really very simple but that's what at the core of Star Wars and has made it so appealing to so many people for so many years.

As for physics in space, you're coming at it from the wrong direction.  It's not a question of science, its a question of canon and the internal logic of the Star Wars universe.  We all know there is no sound in real life space and that spaceships can't maneuver like Spitfires.  We accept these things because it makes the movie visually exciting and the movie has a set of internal rules about how these things work.  The weaponisation of hyperdrive by Rian Johnson ignores the internal rules of Star Wars and the canon of the story.  At no point in any Star Wars film has hyperdrive been used as a weapon.  Why bother flying those ridiculously dangerous missions to destroy the Death Stars and Starkiller base when you can just a hyperspace a cruiser through it?  It's just another example of Rian Johnson not having a clue about Star Wars and doing whatever the hell he wanted because he thought it would look cool or whatever.

• Anakin is on his way back fo shizzle
  • The good news about jj abrams directing the last installment is that you know it will be a good movie.  The bad news about jj abrams directing the last installment is that you know it won’t be a great movie.  
  • Showed the trailer to my 8 year old who couldn't even be bothered to watch it to the end. He's also made it clear that he has no interest in seeing the film at the cinema. Doesn't bode well for the franchise.
  • Missed It said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Pavo said:
    Where are the plot holes in the new movies? I think that the expedition to Canto Bight in TLJ was more filler, than any value add to the plot, but as somebody who knows all of these movies back to front, I can’t call out one. If anything, the prequels and sequel trilogies have tried to fill in every hole in the story. The animated series even more so, explaining much more about the Jedi, for example.

Canto Blight was an interesting story on paper (introducing the grey area of villainy in a story that had to date been pure light and dark and expanding the world in a way Disney can make the most of) and I maintain that it was RJ struggling with Finn that made a mess of that plotline.

I think there are a few things that, while not holes, were illogical in TLJ. Like the 'bigger' ships being slower in gravity-free space. Not that that stuff bothers me at all - the physics of space has never made any sense in Star Wars! Fire and sound in particular. But that's the interesting thing about all this to me - stuff that is thrown at TLJ could be thrown at ANH or ESB, yet for some reason people went along with it back then (and still do). 

For instance, Poplcon's comment about Snoke's story not making any sense. Palaptine didn't get any more backstory in Jedi than he Snoke did in TLJ, and I reckon they probably got the same amount of screen time. We knew all we needed to know about Snoke for the story to work. It wasn't supposed to be a mystery, it wasn't supposed to have a twist (although if you're looking for a twist, why ignore the fact that he got killed 1.5 movies earlier than you expected?). 

Film is an extremely lean and economical medium as far as story telling goes, particularly in an action adventure like Star Wars.  If action doesn't move the plot along it is entirely superfluous.  You could take the whole Canto Bight section out of TLJ and it wouldn't make any difference to the story.  Finn had the potential to be an interesting character, a turncoat stormtrooper, there's plenty of stuff you can do with that.  Instead, Rian Johnson completely ruined him in TLJ, turned him in to (unfunny) comic relief and basically a failure at everything he tries.

Additionally, it illustrates how fundamentally Rian Johnson misunderstands what Star War is all about.  This is not the place for his nihilistic takes on things, that everybody is as bad each other.  Star Wars stories are told as myth and archetype.  Good guys are good, bad guys are bad.  The good guys win and the bad guys lose.  It's really very simple but that's what at the core of Star Wars and has made it so appealing to so many people for so many years.

As for physics in space, you're coming at it from the wrong direction.  It's not a question of science, its a question of canon and the internal logic of the Star Wars universe.  We all know there is no sound in real life space and that spaceships can't maneuver like Spitfires.  We accept these things because it makes the movie visually exciting and the movie has a set of internal rules about how these things work.  The weaponisation of hyperdrive by Rian Johnson ignores the internal rules of Star Wars and the canon of the story.  At no point in any Star Wars film has hyperdrive been used as a weapon.  Why bother flying those ridiculously dangerous missions to destroy the Death Stars and Starkiller base when you can just a hyperspace a cruiser through it?  It's just another example of Rian Johnson not having a clue about Star Wars and doing whatever the hell he wanted because he thought it would look cool or whatever.

I don't think that's true at all. The original trilogy didn't even look at it this way. Han Solo was a petty criminal, the main villain was turned back to the light side and Lando was a complex character who struggled between self-interest and loyalty. Luke was capable of violence and wrath and could have been turned, while Obi-Wan was a liar who essentially manipulated Luke to make his own life easier. Empire Strikes Back was all about the rebels losing their base, the heroes running for their lives, being betrayed by a friend and Han possibly being killed while Luke lost a hand. It's always been dark. Then you look at the prequel trilogy which is a story entirely about one man being able to turn democracy into tyranny using the complacency and lack of concern of the rest of the galaxy. While we already knew what Palpatine would become, he spent two films being the good guy before a massive heel turn into turning out to be the bad guy all along in the third film. Anakin goes from good guy to child murderer and they win at the end of the trilogy. There was some overwrought badly delivered Natalie Portman line in the last prequel film about democracy dying to thunderous applause. The final film in the prequels ends with the good guys losing spectacularly, which would have been a great deal more depressing if we didn't already know what all the bad guys' comeuppance would be later. There's always been nuance in Star Wars films, as simplistic as they are, and Johnson's dark take really isn't that different to Empire. I think it's a bit early anyway to judge whether his take works or not because we haven't seen the full trilogy (I think the good guys will still win and the bad guys lose); there's still a whole third film that could change or redeem a lot of what he did in people's eyes.
  • Missed It said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Pavo said:

So what did you think would happen when a ship went to light speed and hit another ship?

That’s not breaking internal logic unless we’ve specially been told nothing would happen. 

It’s true that it brings into question why we’ve not seen it before, but at that point I’m happy to not take it or myself so seriously as to get upset by it. 

More so, new films should develop pre-existing rules. And it’s the development of rules and story that have been objected to (what Yoda could or couldn’t do with lightning for example) quite a lot. 

I think RJ knows a shit load more than you and me about Star Wars. Not liking his choices is something else entirely. 
  • Missed It said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Pavo said:

I don't think that's true at all. The original trilogy didn't even look at it this way. Han Solo was a petty criminal, the main villain was turned back to the light side and Lando was a complex character who struggled between self-interest and loyalty. Luke was capable of violence and wrath and could have been turned, while Obi-Wan was a liar who essentially manipulated Luke to make his own life easier. Empire Strikes Back was all about the rebels losing their base, the heroes running for their lives, being betrayed by a friend and Han possibly being killed while Luke lost a hand. It's always been dark. Then you look at the prequel trilogy which is a story entirely about one man being able to turn democracy into tyranny using the complacency and lack of concern of the rest of the galaxy. While we already knew what Palpatine would become, he spent two films being the good guy before a massive heel turn into turning out to be the bad guy all along in the third film. Anakin goes from good guy to child murderer and they win at the end of the trilogy. There was some overwrought badly delivered Natalie Portman line in the last prequel film about democracy dying to thunderous applause. The final film in the prequels ends with the good guys losing spectacularly, which would have been a great deal more depressing if we didn't already know what all the bad guys' comeuppance would be later. There's always been nuance in Star Wars films, as simplistic as they are, and Johnson's dark take really isn't that different to Empire. I think it's a bit early anyway to judge whether his take works or not because we haven't seen the full trilogy (I think the good guys will still win and the bad guys lose); there's still a whole third film that could change or redeem a lot of what he did in people's eyes.

I take your point, but I think you're getting into the granular detail of plot rather than the overarching theme.  Each of those examples you give are an individual battle between good and evil that those characters go through.  It's still good v evil, in fairly black and white terms.  Even if characters change sides, they definitely pick a side.  It's all part of classic story telling, fall of the hero, redemption etc.  This stuff is as old as the ancient Greeks and still resonates with us today.

I think the point that Rian Johnson was driving towards with the Canto Bight side quest in TLJ was that the Resistance were really no different to the First Order.  Making the point that war is bad and a squalid money making venture is entirely valid, I'm not sure a Star Wars film is the place to be making it.  

In a mythic battle of good against evil, you have to have right on your side if you're going to be on the side of good, otherwise you're not actually good at all.

• Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    Missed It said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Pavo said:

So what did you think would happen when a ship went to light speed and hit another ship?

That’s not breaking internal logic unless we’ve specially been told nothing would happen. 

It’s true that it brings into question why we’ve not seen it before, but at that point I’m happy to not take it or myself so seriously as to get upset by it. 

More so, new films should develop pre-existing rules. And it’s the development of rules and story that have been objected to (what Yoda could or couldn’t do with lightning for example) quite a lot. 

I think RJ knows a shit load more than you and me about Star Wars. Not liking his choices is something else entirely. 

I always figured entering hyperspace took you into a completely different dimension and you wouldn't actually be in the same space as the other ship.  We know it's dangerous to re-materialise from hyperspace if you haven't done your navigation right, Han Solo said so, but there's never been anything to indicate entering hyperspace might be a problem.

When you're dealing with series of films, you have to appreciate how what you do in the later films affects what happened in the previous films or you end up with inadvertent retcon or making past actions look inconsistent, pointless or stupid.

To be honest, I truly don't believe Rian Johnson knows more about Star Wars than Star Wars fans do.  He has such a tin ear for the original trilogy characters, it's like they're impostors the way he has written them.

I would also question whether a director who has openly stated that if a film of his annoys half it's audience, then he is happy, is the right choice to make a movie like Star Wars which has built it's success on having universal appeal.  I honestly think he is little better than a troll, who has taken something that millions of people have loved for years and broken it just to satisfy his own ego.  "Ha ha! Bet you weren't expecting that!" seems to be his entire game and it's a poor game at that.

• Just watched the first 2 episodes of The Mandalorian,  Iooks like it will be a good series - those who know how to will be able to find it online as Disney+ doesn't come to the UK till March.
  • Just watched the first 2 episodes of The Mandalorian,  Iooks like it will be a good series - those who know how to will be able to find it online as Disney+ doesn't come to the UK till March.
    Thought the first episode was great, second was slow and encapsulated all the reasons I dont watch TV. For an hour of my life I expect a big pay off.

That said, I'll be sticking with it. Loads of Star Wars Easter eggs and throw backs.

Enjoy.
  • edited November 2019
    You really must have found it slow if you thought it was an hour long! Taking off the ‘previously on...’ it was about 27 minutes!
    I’m guessing they’re intent on having movie-level production values but that means cutting back on run time. 

I thought it had great style, equally great cast, really intriguing reveal at the end of Ep 1. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    You really must have found it slow if you thought it was an hour long! Taking off the ‘previously on...’ it was about 27 minutes!
    I’m guessing they’re intent on having movie-level production values but that means cutting back on run time. 

I thought it had great style, equally great cast, really intriguing reveal at the end of Ep 1. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. 
    You are quite right and to be honest it didnt feel an hour long. Although ep.1 felt substantially longer than ep.2.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I hadn't had any great intention of watching it until my mate, the one I'd previously mentioned on this thread, showed me a video of the last 5 minutes of the first episode now I am desperately searching for a way to watch the show 
  • Carter said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

I hadn't had any great intention of watching it until my mate, the one I'd previously mentioned on this thread, showed me a video of the last 5 minutes of the first episode now I am desperately searching for a way to watch the show 
    Might be worth checking your DMs!
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Carter said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Might be worth checking your DMs!
    Can I check carters DM’s too?
  • Carter said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

CartoonHD is back up and showing it.
  • TV Zion is probably the current best streaming app especially if you already have a real debrid account, I watched them in 4k.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wasn't overly bothered about this show originally.  The Last Jedi very nearly killed my interest in all things Star Wars and I don't want to have to pay for yet another streaming service.  I've heard good things about it though and it's led by Jon Favreau who helped start the Marvel movies off on the right foot and Dave Filoni who knows Star Wars inside out, so that's hopeful at least.  Disney can't afford to F this one up too.
  • PopIcon said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

You are quite right and to be honest it didnt feel an hour long. Although ep.1 felt substantially longer than ep.2.
    The opening episode was 40 minutes ish whereas the second ep was 30 so that might explain that haha

I've been really enjoying it, the production quality is really up there for me. Think its got great scope too for where it could go
  • I was completely taken in by the 2 episodes so far, the reveal at the end of the first one was top drawer. It has the potential to do a lot of stuff real hardcore fans of the franchise/saga will lap up and appreciate 

Just need to find some way of watching the second series of Mayans MC now 

• Disappointed that Jaja Binks wasn't included in that montage. 
    Shame on you for invoking that nauseating rubber excrescence.  There can be no humour, sarcy, ironic, black or otherwise where that abomination is concerned.  It's just wrong, like incest is wrong, just cos some do it doesn't mean there can be an excuse, wrong wrong wrong as wrong can be.
    Have a word with yourself, a good long think and then never even think about mentioning it again, ever, ever as long as you may live in this world or any next world(s).

Shame on you for invoking that nauseating rubber excrescence.  There can be no humour, sarcy, ironic, black or otherwise where that abomination is concerned.  It's just wrong, like incest is wrong, just cos some do it doesn't mean there can be an excuse, wrong wrong wrong as wrong can be.
    Have a word with yourself, a good long think and then never even think about mentioning it again, ever, ever as long as you may live in this world or any next world(s).
    Incest is wrong? Don't tell Luke and Leia!

• edited December 2019
    Just booked this for 00.01 on 19th December at Catford Mews

So 1 minute after its released
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    What I find really interesting is that J.J. has taken some of Rian Johnson’s visual style on board. The camera moves, particularly in the opening Rey scene, are just like TLJ. Looks a lot like the training scene with the rock. Didn’t expect J.J. to do that. His visual flourishes are usually Spielberg moves!

I think that's a bit over the top.

I'm as fond of JJ as the next man but tbh he doesn't even run down the wing these days.