Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    But it is a not a film for nerds. It is a film for mass viewing by the general population. 

It doesn't matter if it's made for nerds or not.  Nerds are all over it whether you like it or not.

My point is, normal folk go see a Star Wars film, enjoy it, job done.  Nerds are the ones who go see a Star Wars film five times, buy the books, comics, action figures, t-shirts, mugs and all the other gubbins that made George Lucas a billionaire.  They're the people who know Star Wars inside out and won't settle for the shoddy product Disney have dished up.  

I would argue Rise of Skywalker has been made with hard core fans and their complaints in mind.  It contains a lot pushback against what Rian Johnson did with The Last Jedi that so annoyed those fans, and tons of other pointless fan-service.  I'm a nerd but even I find it pandering.

• Options
    As huge a SW fan as Charlton fan and very proud to have been in the last two. Last Jedi was not to half the fans’ taste it would appear, while the critics loved it, this time around the stats reversed and fans have warmed a lot more to JJ and Chris’ wrap up thankfully.

For those that have seen the canon animated series and read the comic tie ins, again all canon, some of the outcomes and plot points would
    be better understood/accepted by those looking for plot holes.

I really enjoyed it, just wish it had been over two movies, as some of the scenes whizzed by way too quickly.

IMAX 2D all the way and have seen it in four formats.

• Options
    Just saw it. Brilliant and emotional. Loved it. 
  • Options
    I watched it with my 8 year old who enjoyed it but he hasn't brought it up again since we left the cinema (unlike the 1917 trailer which he loved and hasn't stopped hassling me about since). I thought the pony club charge on the deck of the imperial battleship was pretty cringy but otherwise it was an ok film.
  • Options
    Would love to see the original JJ Abrams cut. it wasn't the Disney ending he wanted. Plus just having voices of past Jedi`s is lazy full force ghost should have been used.
  • Options
    fenn3098 said:
    Would love to see the original JJ Abrams cut. it wasn't the Disney ending he wanted. Plus just having voices of past Jedi`s is lazy full force ghost should have been used.
    They filmed all that stuff, so I don't think laziness is the cause - more like stupidity.  Ewan McGregor, Haydn Christiansen, Samuel L Jackson all got their force ghost scenes chopped, along with Matt Smith who was part of a plot thread that was deleted. 

The stories are starting to come out now as everybody tries to avoid the blame.  Sounds like JJ Abrams and George Lucas were proper stitched up by the suits at Disney/Lucasfilm.  It's no wonder the film is such a choppy, hacked about mess.  Everyone was sticking their oar in!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Just watched the Han Solo movie which I dodged when it came out. Bloody hell, it was the best Star Wars movie for years! I was genuinely surprised how good it was. I think the reason it didn't do so great was fans were put off by the main recent Star Wars films being so average. It is so well set up for a second film. I feel a bit guilty for being part of the reason that may not happen.
  • Options
    Just watched the Han Solo movie which I dodged when it came out. Bloody hell, it was the best Star Wars movie for years! I was genuinely surprised how good it was. I think the reason it didn't do so great was fans were put off by the main recent Star Wars films being so average. It is so well set up for a second film. I feel a bit guilty for being part of the reason that may not happen.
    I watched it for the second time last week and agree it's underrated. I also watched The Phantom Menace for the first time since it came out and it wasn't half as bad as I remembered. 
  • Options
    Solo should have been a trilogy as far as I know, but that was canned after the first film underperformed against expectations. A real shame, Solo as a bounty hunter/Hutt/Fett etc would have been good to see and Maul’s re-introduction was not in it to waste 20 seconds. A real pity. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solo should have been a trilogy as far as I know, but that was canned after the first film underperformed against expectations. A real shame, Solo as a bounty hunter/Hutt/Fett etc would have been good to see and Maul’s re-introduction was not in it to waste 20 seconds. A real pity. 
    The Disney era of star wars has been strange. I thought episode 7 was amazing, Rogue One the best Star Wars film to date, then it went really downhill with Episode 8 and Solo, the latter being the worst Star Wars film to date. Then I thought Episode 9 was really good as well. 
  • Options
    Went last night to see it, though it was pretty good, and I quite liked Last Jedi so was a bit jarred as JJ has made a decision to basically ignore that film, and go back to the Force Awakens. 

It made sense, the final battle was bang on. They'll be more spin-offs of this, but it also confirms that Rogue One is the best Disney Star Wars film by a country mile. 
  • Options
    Saw it the other night. Not particular a Star Wars fan but enjoyed it none the less although I thought it was a bit too long.
  • Options
    Second worst one after Phantom Menace. 
  • Options
    Personally think its the worst film they've done bar The Clone Wars - Solo is quite good, but Rogue One was excellent. Think this whole series lacked an over-arching idea/plot for the series. You've got to at least know the major plot points for the trilogy or you end up with a mess like we did in this case. Poor on Disney's behalf 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The magic of the original Star Wars movies was that there was this back story that you didn't really know, but it gave the films real gravitas. That and the shock and awe of the visual effects that can't have the same impact now. What has become clear, was that it was at best a sketched out back story to hang the original movies on. It didn't really need the later (earlier episodes) and they detracted from the whole magic. Sometimes it is better to have suggestions of what happened before and let your imagination fill the gaps.

The films like Rogue One and Solo work for me because whilst they touch on the universe they don't tread on it.  They work off the glow. Rather than include the original loved characters, episodes 7-9 should IMO have jumped beyond the original heroes but maybe including an old villain or two. When you look at some of the fan scenarios of what happens to characters, they are far more interesting and gripping than what Disney have given us.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    No mention of broomstick kid from the Last Jedi. Would like to have seen more of Palpatine. I also cannot believe Luke Skywalker wasn't utilised more across these films.

For me the new trilogy was worse than the prequel trilogy. The prequel trilogy had podcar racing, Darth Maul, and an epic light sabre fight between Yoda and Sidious. Beyond the photography (which is excellent) and the banthas I'm struggling to think of any defining moments.
  • Options
    I agree with so many posts on this thread I'm starting to wonder if I've got a mind of my own. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Anyone started watching the Mandalorian yet? 

Couple of episodes in and really impressed.
    Just watched the last episode of season 2 on Disney plus. Won’t spoil it but for any Star Wars fans it’s f*****g brilliant. 

The whole series has been really good. 
    Epsiode surprised me, its been so fast paced all season that it was a bit of a slow burner this week - Bloody worth it though

Curious to see where they go next season though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love the mandalorian got t shirts and all sorts.
  • Options
    The Mandalorian has been awesome and today's final episode was fantastic.
  • Options
    I suppose a series give advantages in telling a story if done well.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Really enjoyed season 2, weakest episode for me was the Ahsoka Tano one and I wasn't overly keen on todays ending, they have all these other possible storylines to explore and they went where they did. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Just watched the last episode of season 2 on Disney plus. Won’t spoil it but for any Star Wars fans it’s f*****g brilliant. 

Thought exactly the same. Cracking episode and series.

BTW, did you watch to the end of the credits, as there was a bit more at the end? 
  • Options
    buckshee said:

BTW, did you watch to the end of the credits, as there was a bit more at the end? 
    I did, looking forward to that series next year. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Curious to know if its basically Season Three or a series in its own right 
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Curious to know if its basically Season Three or a series in its own right 
    I think its going to be its own series although I did read that they were writing a series 3 for Mando 
  • Options
    The second series of the Mandalorian was better than the first. 

The story telling has been great, not a line wasted. 

Excellent ending, cgi wasn't as good as either Leia or Moff Tarkin in Rogue One.

I was worried they'd drag the baby Yoda story on to the third series. I'm looking forward to the next adventure. I'm guessing they're going to try and restore Mandalore.
    Got to sort the darksaber thing out.