Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Comments

• Options
    Just watching the first Star Wars.....well  when I mean the 1st I mean episode 4....A New Hope. But its the 1st one made & now has lots of plot holes.

In episode 4 Luke goes searching for R2D2 & finds Obi Wan. Luke says "this R2 unit is looking for its former master.....claims to be the property of Obi Wan Konobi". OW then says " I dont ever remember owning a droid".....

But in Episodes 2 or 3 (cant remember which) OW (played then by Ewan McGregor) is clearly seen with an R2 unit in one of his ships......and has many adventures with one.

Also.....in the newer (prequels) Ewan McGregor brings up Luke as a child.......so why doesn't Luke remember this in episode 4.

Might be me.....and I havent seen episodes 1-3 all the way through.....but now watching the original (first) one things just dont make sense.

He doesn't bring up Luke, he brings up Anakin!?
  • Options
    Anyone seen this in 3D/IMAX?
    Is it worth it?

Must admit apart from Avatar I've never really bothered.
    Just thought as this is the last one I might go upmarket.
  • Options
    Funnily enough, I saw it IMAX 3D. The 3D added nothing. IMAX 2D is the way to go. And that what I booked. 

Well, I started by booking IMAX 3D at 12pm. Then I realised the Super Screen was available in the same cinema, at 1pm. So I booked that and cancelled the first booking. But I got the times mixed up and me and my mate turned up an hour late. So we had to blag it. Got ourselves into the IMAX screening instead. It was a tense ten minutes but we got away with it. 
  • Options
    3 generations of us watched it yesterday. 

We all enjoyed it. 

A fitting finale after the disappointing previous episode. 

Even my nine year old spotted the hint of the next spin off films re the ex storm trooper girl. 
  • Options
    Went for IMAX 3D. Loved it. This is something else in that format.

Thought the film itself was brilliant. My boys loved it. Plenty of action as well as lump in the throat moments. As it should be.

People write too much into this series. It's not really deep and meaningful. It's a bit of fun. Go in with that attitude and you'll love it!
  • Options
    We just got back in from watching it, did IMAX 3D and made a very clever decision to sit in these reclining massive seats. I left there feeling like I'd had a hot bath and a massage, ridiculously comfortable.

I liked the film, it was miles better than the last one and on a par with the first one and worth seeing in IMAX
  • Options
    *spoiler alert*

I watched a recent trailer and it showed Kylo ren/ Ben solo having a tussle with Vader.
    This was not in the film. If it was I must've missed it?
     I heard the darkest ones voice a few times but no show.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I try to see each Star Wars film 3-4 times at the cinema  before it comes out on dvd / blu ray , I’m not sure I will be watching this film 3-4 times at the cinema.

If you’ve seen all the others, then it’s probably a must see, but imo there are better Star Wars movies.

At the end of the day it’s a film for kids, not grown up blokes that used to love it when they were kids (well that was the thought left with me when I left the cinema).
  • Options
    I try to see each Star Wars film 3-4 times at the cinema  before it comes out on dvd / blu ray , I’m not sure I will be watching this film 3-4 times at the cinema.

If you’ve seen all the others, then it’s probably a must see, but imo there are better Star Wars movies.

At the end of the day it’s a film for kids, not grown up blokes that used to love it when they were kids (well that was the thought left with me when I left the cinema).
    I thought the opposite mate, that was by a fan, for a fan.  Easily in the top 5 "trilogy" films of the 9.
  • Options
    *spoiler alert*

I watched a recent trailer and it showed Kylo ren/ Ben solo having a tussle with Vader.
    Probably not an official trailer then (the closest thing in those is Kylo destroying Vaders helmet which does happen in the film.)
    There's some really good and convincing but completely unofficial fan stuff out there which is probably what you saw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    *spoiler alert*

Probably not an official trailer then (the closest thing in those is Kylo destroying Vaders helmet which does happen in the film.)
    There's some really good and convincing but completely unofficial fan stuff out there which is probably what you saw.
     It was the last ultimate trailer and had all scenes from the film a week before it had been released.

Check out 2min 12

https://youtu.be/bw1lOJ776y8
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owrmLeX20CY&t=488s

Is either where that's from or an exact copy, but the one I linked is very definitely a fan film. Unless it was filmed, cut and someone decided to make their own version which is plausible given how.... Dedicated some fans can get.

The "ultimate trailer" is also seemingly a fan production as it doesn't appear on the official SW or Disney channels. So a fan cobbled it together and included a fan film by mistake (or maybe on purpose, who knows?)
  • Options
    Saw it for the second time today, still brilliant.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    *spoiler alert*

It was the last ultimate trailer and had all scenes from the film a week before it had been released.

Check out 2min 12

https://youtu.be/bw1lOJ776y8
    That’s a fan made trailer using every clip from each trailer and TV spot released - the sound mix is poor and the music is not John Williams. The Vader stuff is from a fan made short film. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owrmLeX20CY&t=488s

Is either where that's from or an exact copy, but the one I linked is very definitely a fan film. Unless it was filmed, cut and someone decided to make their own version which is plausible given how.... Dedicated some fans can get.

The "ultimate trailer" is also seemingly a fan production as it doesn't appear on the official SW or Disney channels. So a fan cobbled it together and included a fan film by mistake (or maybe on purpose, who knows?)
     Blimey. That's good!
  • Options
    Not being the biggest Star Wars fan, I've not seen the film yet. However it is strange seeing the difference of opinion on here (overwhelming positive), to other places on the internet.

I've read lots of criticism of the film elsewhere. Mainly that the third film tries to basically forget the second film as much as possible which leads to lots of plot holes. 
  • Options
    Not being the biggest Star Wars fan, I've not seen the film yet. However it is strange seeing the difference of opinion on here (overwhelming positive), to other places on the internet.

I've read lots of criticism of the film elsewhere. Mainly that the third film tries to basically forget the second film as much as possible which leads to lots of plot holes. 
    I think it's because the people commenting on here are regular fans, rather than obsessives who have become conditioned to look for flaws. 
  • Options
    better than some of the sequels, not sure why each one needed to copy so much from the original trilogy, this one being return of the jedi.. feel it missed the potential to explore the Sith a bit more, but then that could have been a lot to add in.
  • Options

I can understand why it's been well received by some.  It's jam packed full of fan-service and action.  But it's fire-hosed at the audience so fast that they can barely pause to think how little of it makes any logical sense upon closer examination.
  • Options
    Anyone started watching the Mandalorian yet? 

Couple of episodes in and really impressed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:
    Anyone started watching the Mandalorian yet? 

Couple of episodes in and really impressed.
    Yeah saw the final episode yesterday - Bloody brilliant ending, already cant wait for Season Two
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I can understand why it's been well received by some.  It's jam packed full of fan-service and action.  But it's fire-hosed at the audience so fast that they can barely pause to think how little of it makes any logical sense upon closer examination.
    One way I've changed since I was six was that when that huge fleet of destroyers was revealed near the beginning my first thoughts were, 'How did they pay for those and where are all these people getting their food from?'
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Missed It said:

One way I've changed since I was six was that when that huge fleet of destroyers was revealed near the beginning my first thoughts were, 'How did they pay for those and where are all these people getting their food from?'

Indeed.  And each of those 100s of star destroyers was armed with a Death Star cannon.  All I could think of after that was Dr. Evil and his "sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads".  Utterly dumb.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    razil said:
    better than some of the sequels, not sure why each one needed to copy so much from the original trilogy, this one being return of the jedi.. feel it missed the potential to explore the Sith a bit more, but then that could have been a lot to add in.
    In this exception Rise of Skywalker is better than Return of the Jedi.
  • Options
    I enjoyed it even though they did try to cram a lot in, don't get why pretty much every big film now has to get analysed for plot holes etc, i go to the cinema to enjoy the film not spend a few hours picking holes.
    Out of the new star wars I preferred Rouge One and Solo to the main 3 sequels.
  • Options
    out of the new ones the force awakens and this one are on a par, really enjoyed both of them. The last jedi I thought was a waste of an opportunity 
  • Options
    Once again my missus and I were the oldest dudes in the cinema. It was pretty good, made even better because we were given some posh seats due to an administrative error. The villain looked a lot like Roger Waters from Pink Floyd, so I hoped that they might have got Syd Barrett raised from the dead to play Astronomy Domine for us but no such luck. Still, no complaints, well worth a look.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

See this is what i don’t get. I took it at face value and loved it....

But why should it make logical sense? It’s a make believe science fiction film set in a galaxy far far away..... It doesn’t have to make sense cos it’s not real!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

See this is what i don’t get. I took it at face value and loved it....

But why should it make logical sense? It’s a make believe science fiction film set in a galaxy far far away..... It doesn’t have to make sense cos it’s not real!

We had all this a few pages ago.  The Star Wars universe isn't real but it still operates under it's own set of rules and internal logic.  Disney have shown they don't give a toss about any of that.  They thought they could spoon up any old Star Wars looking crap and audiences would just hand them billions of dollars without question.

The difference is that normals go to the cinema and enjoy the spectacle and action.  It's JJ Abrams standard procedure.  Blast the audience with an endless stream of flash looking guff in the hope that nobody notices his slack writing and that all of his plot mystery boxes are empty.  

Nerds, the fans who are most invested in Star Wars, pay attention to this stuff and will pick it apart in seconds.  It's all part of being a nerd.  I just wish the people at Lucasfilm had paid as much attention to it as the fans do.    
  • Options
    But it is a not a film for nerds. It is a film for mass viewing by the general population.