Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Star Wars - The Rise Of Skywalker

Comments

• Options
    Just got back after seeing it

Was a good movie and better than the last 2 two.

Do not read ahead if you dont want to spoiler alert added for a reason

Thought the bringing back of old characters and other bits were brilliant for the final ever one.

Great to see Lando Calrissian back and with Billy Dee Williams reprising the role as well.

Having the voice of Darth Vadar, Yoda and Obi Wan Kenobi as well just a shame it was voice only for those 3 important characters in the original movies.

We obviously knew Palpatine was returning for the trailer and it was good to see cameos from the dead from Luke and Hans

Also the small few second cameo of the Ewoks was a nice throwback as well.

Onto places I think it was good they incorporated the remains of the death star as well as Uncle Owen and Aunt Berus home.

Onto the movie, how dare they trick us into thinking Chewie had died that almost killed me.

I must admit I head a tear in my eye both when R2D2 cried at Leias death and again when Chewie learned of Leais death, they little cry that R2D2 made I was not expecting.

I loved the new droid D-0 shame thats all we will see off it.

I think they ending was good and it was good to finally see Kylo Ren join the Light side of the Force before he died as his Mother and Father wanted for him.

All in all its a shame to say goodbye to starwars but I think this wrapped it up well and as I said was better than the last 2 which where not that great IMO

• Options
    I also saw it last night. Enjoyed it and thought it was better than Last Jedi and similar to Force Awakens. Some really good moments, but a few irritations as well. Can't say much more without giving stuff away. 
    Quite a profound feeling walking out of the cinema and completing a journey I started as a six year old back in 1977.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I also saw it last night. Enjoyed it and thought it was better than Last Jedi and similar to Force Awakens. Some really good moments, but a few irritations as well. Can't say much more without giving stuff away. 
    Quite a profound feeling walking out of the cinema and completing a journey I started as a six year old back in 1977.
    Why dont you write it and cover it with the Spoiler button like it did, then those who have seen the movie can read what you think
  • Options
    Saw it last night too. Enjoyed it. 
  • Options
    Why not spoiler warning the thread and then people can discuss it once they've seen it (which I've not yet) and steer clear until they have, given that it's out now. 
  • Options
    Just got back from watching it. It’s OK and they fit a lot into the 2 and half hour running time.
  • Options
    Not seen it yet but don't have high expectations.
    JJ Abrams brought in to give it the usual follow the 'New hope' remit. By all accounts he has had to cram a lot in to steer it back on course.

He's like Star wars very own Sam Allardyce.

Asked to do the first new one to clear up the mess left by the prequels. And then asked to clean up again after the Hash Rian Johnson made of the Last Jedi.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Just got back, loved it. I feel exactly the same about the journey, I was 9 in ‘77 and thought at the time I’d never see a better film (not seen many better tbh).

The nods to the original films worked well and one scene a massive shock and delight (those who’ve seen it will know which one)
  • Options
    Saw this yesterday, really enjoyed it as a Star Wars fan!

Minor criticisms are only that it is probably a tad too long, and I'm sure you could pick out minor plot holes (but the same can be said as pretty much every other Star Wars film).

There is a lot going on, constant references to characters and moments from the preceding 8 films, and they've chuck loads in, in an effort to tie everything up.

Go see it!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely brilliant. One of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences of my life.

im not saying it’s the best film of my life (it’s very good), but when you take into account the nostalgia overload, seeing the final chapter of a saga that was central to my childhood, with my own son alongside me.

yeah - I won’t deny there was some moist eyes going on at a number of parts of that movie.

Not going to entertain people trying to take it too seriously and go all Barry Norman on it.

Wonderful way to spend two and a half hours with my boy.

The best part for me was having my daughter sitting with me watching (and loving) it.

I took her to McDonalds afterwards and got talking to a misty eyed bloke in the queue who'd taken his son.

Like me, his parents had taken him to the original in 1977, although I got taken to the Wimpy in Welling afterwards.

• Options
    Saw it last night. It's not great, but it does what you expect it to and that's really all I wanted. I enjoyed it and so did the kids. The good guys win, inter-ship communications works first time and Rey's costume doesn't trip her up (that's my list of least plausible things, in order ;)  )
  • Options
    There’s a review of this on BBC Surrey in a minute that’s going to be well worth listening to!! https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcsurrey
  • Options
    Just watching the first Star Wars.....well  when I mean the 1st I mean episode 4....A New Hope. But its the 1st one made & now has lots of plot holes.

In episode 4 Luke goes searching for R2D2 & finds Obi Wan. Luke says "this R2 unit is looking for its former master.....claims to be the property of Obi Wan Konobi". OW then says " I dont ever remember owning a droid".....

But in Episodes 2 or 3 (cant remember which) OW (played then by Ewan McGregor) is clearly seen with an R2 unit in one of his ships......and has many adventures with one.

Also.....in the newer (prequels) Ewan McGregor brings up Luke as a child.......so why doesn't Luke remember this in episode 4.

Might be me.....and I havent seen episodes 1-3 all the way through.....but now watching the original (first) one things just dont make sense.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Just watching the first Star Wars.....well  when I mean the 1st I mean episode 4....A New Hope. But its the 1st one made & now has lots of plot holes.

In episode 4 Luke goes searching for R2D2 & finds Obi Wan. Luke says "this R2 unit is looking for its former master.....claims to be the property of Obi Wan Konobi". OW then says " I dont ever remember owning a droid".....

But in Episodes 2 or 3 (cant remember which) OW (played then by Ewan McGregor) is clearly seen with an R2 unit in one of his ships......and has many adventures with one.

Also.....in the newer (prequels) Ewan McGregor brings up Luke as a child.......so why doesn't Luke remember this in episode 4.

Might be me.....and I havent seen episodes 1-3 all the way through.....but now watching the original (first) one things just dont make sense.

Ok first up - plot holes are rare. Very rare. It’s a term that gets used a lot but often mistakenly. 

The droid line - this is primarily because Lucas decided to introduce R2 to the prequels. It created a problem. But he figured it’d be better to have Obi Wan appear to be forgetful than not have R2 in the prequels. That’s a stretch but not a plot hole. Further, there’s a book (or comic, not sure) that is considered canon in which Obi Wan later says to R2, soon after that encounter, “it’s good to see you old friend,” implying that he wasn’t be truthful with Luke regarding the droids. Edit - I’d also add that, as you say, R2 says Obi Wan was his former master so it really can be brushed off as Kenobi being a dick. 

Also, Obi Wan doesn’t raise Luke. He drops him off at the Lars family homestead and keeps an eye on him from nearby. Luke grows up knowing him as a hermit called Ben Kenobi. 

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Obi Wan never owns R2-D2 though does he so isnt being untruthful when he says: "I dont ever remember owning a droid"

R2 is first seen as a droid in Phantom Menace when they escape the Trade Federation blockade (so is the property of Naboo) - He then basically sticks with Anakin when he first meets him on Tatooine in the same film leading up to Revenge of the Sith (He might even remain owned by Padme, I cant remember where we first see R2 in Attack of the Clones) - R2 leaves Mustafar with Obi-Wan after the duel yet doesnt become his property as he's with Bail Organa at the end of RotS and gets handed over to the Captain of the ship that gets captured at the start of A New Hope, said ship just happens to have Leia on it which leads him back to Obi-Wan...

Isnt there even a 30-year gap between Revenge of the Sith and a New Hope so is easily explainable how Kenobi doesnt remember him

Of course we learn its Uncle Lars who doesnt want Luke knowing about his heritage hence he doesnt actually know who Ben Kenobi is, whereas Leia does know because Organa (ex-Senator) must have told her
  • Options
    Just back in, I was worried for the first 10-15mins but from then on I thought it was great, I appreciate he was given a bum steer by the last shitstorm.
    Really enjoyed it, great to see Denis Lawson take (presumably) a shitload of money for 20-seconds in a green screen studio, great to see the Ghost in the battle (sadly I was trying to spot the ship from the Mandalorian too) and great to see Chewie get his medal. 
    I was pleased I’d already got all my annoyance out about the emperor being back in it months ago when the trailer came out. 
    Didn’t mind how that bit of nonsense was handled in the end. 
    Yay. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obi Wan never owns R2-D2 though does he so isnt being untruthful when he says: "I dont ever remember owning a droid"

R2 is first seen as a droid in Phantom Menace when they escape the Trade Federation blockade (so is the property of Naboo) - He then basically sticks with Anakin when he first meets him on Tatooine in the same film leading up to Revenge of the Sith (He might even remain owned by Padme, I cant remember where we first see R2 in Attack of the Clones) - R2 leaves Mustafar with Obi-Wan after the duel yet doesnt become his property as he's with Bail Organa at the end of RotS and gets handed over to the Captain of the ship that gets captured at the start of A New Hope, said ship just happens to have Leia on it which leads him back to Obi-Wan...

Isnt there even a 30-year gap between Revenge of the Sith and a New Hope so is easily explainable how Kenobi doesnt remember him

Of course we learn its Uncle Lars who doesnt want Luke knowing about his heritage hence he doesnt actually know who Ben Kenobi is, whereas Leia does know because Organa (ex-Senator) must have told her
    I think it’s less than 20 years. Luke is supposed to be maybe 19. Which bugs me a little. Obi Wan aged very quickly!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for all that & I realise that Lucas had to play fast & loose with the truth a bit.

As I said, I'm not a Star Was fanatic & not seen Episodes 1-3 fully so dont know all the ins & outs. It just gets me when I watch  "A New Hope" & Obi Wan Kenobi plays it like he doesn't have a clue who RD is.....although as you say, he has seen RD around over the previous 30 years or so (and I'm pretty sure I've seen RD (or an RD unit) in the back of a fighter craft flown by Ewan McGegor).

Anyway.....I might catch the new one when it's on Sky next year, but I wont be busting a gut to see it. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all that & I realise that Lucas had to play fast & loose with the truth a bit.

As I said, I'm not a Star Was fanatic & not seen Episodes 1-3 fully so dont know all the ins & outs. It just gets me when I watch  "A New Hope" & Obi Wan Kenobi plays it like he doesn't have a clue who RD is.....although as you say, he has seen RD around over the previous 30 years or so (and I'm pretty sure I've seen RD (or an RD unit) in the back of a fighter craft flown by Ewan McGegor).

Anyway.....I might catch the new one when it's on Sky next year, but I wont be busting a gut to see it. 
    Please if you are gonna shorten R2D2 use ths more common R2(as he is an R2 Unit) dont refer to him as RD to many bad memories 
  • Options
    Saw it this morning. Thought it was good. 

Do have a tendency to get a bit emotional at films with past history and heart strings. 

Son did not cry, I did. 

Maybe a bit too long in the middle
  • Options
    We are taking the kids to see this today. 

Not read any of the thread but hoping for an exciting yarn of good versus bad. None of us will be critiquing it for possible flaws or storyline anomalies from previous 8 films. 
  • Options

Watched Revenge of the Sith last night so able to answer this without sounding a right nerd - Ewan's droid unit is called R4
  • Options
    Also, I’d be surprised if Sky ever get this film. Disney+ will be out by then, and I don’t see Disney letting Sky, Netflix or Amazon touch their movies. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Also, I’d be surprised if Sky ever get this film. Disney+ will be out by then, and I don’t see Disney letting Sky, Netflix or Amazon touch their movies. 
    I think Disney will also be phasing out physical media too in order to drive people to a Disney+ subscription. Everybody better hang on to their DVDs and Blurays
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    And once again they'll probably just push people back to piracy and torrents!!

Netflix was great, it was the one service that offered the streaming service, then Amazon jumped on board whilst Disney+ have now done the same with their own movies (havent you got the likes of Hulu available in the United States as well?), whats next; Warner Bros doing similar? - Your potentially looking at three services costing up to £30 p/m - I thought the whole point of providing the streaming service was to fight back against piracy, making everything affordable and convienent in one place

Once again greed is what makes the corporations tick!! - Rant over
  • Options
    Yes FA. Warners, Universal et al. They’re looking at their back catalogues and future franchises and considering doing the same. 5-10 years ago Sky Movies had 95% of last year’s top 100. Amazon and Netflix fractured that, down to 65%. Soon there won’t be any aggregators, it will all be their own content. 

It’s exactly like the early studio system when they had their own cinema chains. That got broken up around 1948 but here we are again!  And it’ll be too expensive for us, so someone will come along and aggregate it all somehow...