Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Naby Sarr.

It’s interesting to see how the view of fans on Charltonlife (and maybe elsewhere too?) on Naby Sarr has changed since he first arrived at the club.
Initially, and for some time after, he was relentlessly ridiculed, unfounded rumours were indulged, there were numerous comparisons to the turning circle of a ferry and his name on the teamsheet was greeted with a chorus of “FFS” by pretty much everyone.
Now, he seems to get a mention, it seems, every week as one of our best performers.
Has he actually improved that much? Or have you lot mellowed? Or is it that his effort is appreciated? Or has he become a cult figure? Or is it that he has, for some mysterious reason, simply become “one of us”?
I’m an addick in exile, so I haven’t seen much of him for myself, so could anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• Obviously, as a marquee Katrien signing, he had it tough with our fans as well - to the extent where people were simply disbelieving the evidence of his proficiency and calling him shit as part of a broader anti-Duchatelet reflex. He's obviously gotten past that stigma by now, but it's taken time.
  • Interesting to see who gets dropped when Pearce is back to full fitness, I personally think Sarr deserves to keep his place
  • Nabbs is a very good league one defender.
    I'm unsure if he can carry us into the championship next year. 
    Fixed that for you. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Interesting to see who gets dropped when Pearce is back to full fitness, I personally think Sarr deserves to keep his place
    I've mooted 3 at the back as an option, depending on whether Purrington can play wing-back
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    sam3110 said:
    Interesting to see who gets dropped when Pearce is back to full fitness, I personally think Sarr deserves to keep his place
    I've mooted 3 at the back as an option, depending on whether Purrington can play wing-back
    Screw wing backs. 3 at the back with Cullen in front can deal with everything. Marshall and Fosu wide. Aribo and Williams in midfield and Taylor and Parker upfront.
  • Naby was pretty young and full of mistakes when he joined us. 

Niw is he is more mature and makes many fewer mistakes. 
  • He was a class above every other player today.
  • You can’t help but admire nabby. The way he has worked hard and is part of the team after being the joke figure to a large section says a lot about him. 
  • Best player on the pitch by a mile. Bloke makes football look easy 
  • Naby Sarr was superb in every thing he did today.
    I gave him 9 and MOM today.
    That would have been 10 if that 40 yard effort had gone in. From Zero to Hero.
  • Naby Sarr was superb in every thing he did today.
    I gave him 9 and MOM today.
    That would have been 10 if that 40 yard effort had gone in. From Zero to Hero.
    Struggling to think how he could have played better except from scoring. He was exceptional 
  • I would be surprised if any other player scores higher that then Sabby today. Fantastic defending, quality passing, quality wing play. Outstanding today.
  • edited February 2019
    Have always rated him, and thought he’d improve with age.
    He might get one of the highest player ratings of the season for today’s performance. It was...memorable. 
    Wish he’d shoot more because he has lead in his boots.
    And it might be worth letting him take the odd free kick if within range (40 yards).
  • Sponsored links:

• Pleasant and polite fella as well.
  • Very good today. He was commanding, physically imposing, played some good accurate passes and nearly scored an absolute rocket from around 30 yards not long before half time.

The only blemish, which wasn't his fault, was that their deflected goal came off him.
  • Naby is finally the player we expected him to be when he was signed 4 years ago. Weirdly he's now one of our longest serving players too, indeed that 5 year contract which looked a terrible decision 3 years ago now looks like a good thing, as he's probably one of our most valuable assets now and still under contract for next season unlike Bauer
  • Probably played the most games in a row in his carrier, where he has never played more than half a season, and he is 25, and wasn't in the side until Pearce got injured. Gametime breeds consistency. Be very surprised if he doesn't play top level sometime soon. Classiest player on the pitch by a country mile. Loved the shot and the sliding tackle. 
  • edited February 2019
    I'm definitely front and centre of the Naby Sarr Appreciation Society (just in case nobody has noticed over the last few months).

Today, in addition to his superb defending (one excellent sliding challenge in the first half, in front of the main stand, stood out) he shew superb touches in attack taking on defenders, putting in a couple if the better crosses in the match, and unleashing a wonderful shot that just missed the target.

I hope The Enforcer continues this excellent run of form.

The old Sarr is gone, long live the new Sarr.
  • I think he's class to be honest and i've been less than complimentary in the past. Helps he seems a decent bloke too who wants to prove himself here
  • Watching on stream I noticed a player down on his knees with his head on the ground, hands on face?

Was that Naby as if so he look devistated to have gotten that deflection for their goal - Complete accident of course as could have gone anywhere but the bloke really cares
  • Love him, he probably thought @ForeverAddickted that he was gonna get slammed on CL.
  • edited February 2019

many fewer mistakes. 
    You been drinking?