Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Best defender? Many would say he's our best player full stop right now
    True
  • Options
    If Taylor keeps stropping like he did today then Naby is my player of the season
  • Options
    Quality. I’d play him, Bauer and Pearce together next week 
  • Options
    If Taylor keeps stropping like he did today then Naby is my player of the season
    Beat me to it! My player of the year so far.
  • Options
    Beckensarr is my PotY at the moment.
  • Options
    Seems to have eliminated the “heart in the mouth” moments and has been superb of late- fair do!
  • Options
    We’ve conceded 3 goals in the last matches, and one of them was a deflected shot from twenty yards.

Naby looks outstanding defensively and whilst on the ball. Would be great for him to score 1 or 2 goals before the end of the season as well.
  • Options
    Yep he’s very impressive right now. It’s a shame that as soon as he’s nearly out of contract he will be flogged off.
  • Options
    Has shown great strength of character to turn his game around given the amount of stick he was getting at one stage. Seems unlikely that he won't attract the attention of other clubs.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will admit I was slightly tongue in Cheek a year ago when I said the cream always rises to the top regarding Naby. 
    Even before the 25 second cameo against Wimbledon (red card) he was improving, 
    Since then Naby Sarr have been excellent, it's a shame the other players can't be as consistent as him.
    The 45 yard pass to Marshall yesterday deserved a better finish.
    The Bambi on ice that turned up from Benfica has blossomed into a Stag.

• Options
    My POtY, I think most improved an important factor towards that too. The bloke next to me yesterday spent the whole game calling him Nobby!
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    My POtY, I think most improved an important factor towards that too. The bloke next to me yesterday spent the whole game calling him Nobby!
    The woman next to me only came to the match because she has a thing about Solly. Only really go excited when he started warming up. 
  • Options
    It is good to see Naby doing well lately, and he deserves the plaudits he is receiving. However, it's too little too late in my opinion. He's been at our club since 2015, and it's effectively taken him 3-4 years to actually put in some decent performances for us. With his contract up in the summer it could be interpreted, rather cynically, that he has only raised his game as he needs to find a new club in the summer. However, I do not think Naby is like that. It's good to see him doing well at last, but he has really been a poor signing for us overall.

• Options
    It is good to see Naby doing well lately, and he deserves the plaudits he is receiving. However, it's too little too late in my opinion. He's been at our club since 2015, and it's effectively taken him 3-4 years to actually put in some decent performances for us. With his contract up in the summer it could be interpreted, rather cynically, that he has only raised his game as he needs to find a new club in the summer. However, I do not think Naby is like that. It's good to see him doing well at last, but he has really been a poor signing for us overall.

His Contract runs until 2020

Its not just this season he's been putting in decent performances either
    O really! I did not know this. Thanks for putting me right.
  • Options

His Contract runs until 2020

Its not just this season he's been putting in decent performances either
    O really! I did not know this. Thanks for putting me right.
    As I said before, he came back from loan, Robinson had never seen him, wanted to loan him straight out again, but he asked to stay and fight for his place.  He may not be Charlton through and through, but all we ask for is players to want to play for us and given the stick he had received and that this is a foreign country for him plus obviously his development he is the kind of player we want.
  • Options
    He he should have taken the free kick on the edge of the box instead of Reeves... it needed someone to just larrup it! 
  • Options
    He is a big lad and very skilful white of which were apparent at the start of his career with us when seem to remember he cost a fortune and came with high expectations.

Then he looked truly awful for a long time, great passages of play then a couple of absolute howlers.

Something has clearly clicked in his head and he now looks very very good consistently. Definitely good  championship level or maybe better. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Consistency is something you only get by playing back to back games, which Naby has never had until this season. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    He’s been more like a play maker the last couple of games. There’s was one great moment yesterday where he picked it up 35 yards out and the crowd screamed to shoot. He wound up with a long run up and as two defenders charged him down, he just nonchalantly slid the ball forward into the space vacated by those two players leaving them looking silly. He’s going to smash a 30 yarder top bins soon and the roof is going to come off.

He’s playing with a smile on his face which is great to see as he seems a good lad who just got thrown into the team before he was ready. In fact, he’s becoming an object lesson in the value of showing patience, sometimes a lot of it, with players who are struggling for form and/or settling in a new country, particularly young players. 

Francis, Pope, Grant, and now Sarr are just four of the recent examples of players written off early by large numbers of our fans that have gone on to prove the doubters wrong either here or elsewhere. 

Sadly, despite keeping on getting that lesson, some fans are now at it with Reeco and, increasingly, Fosu. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    When I was a coach/manager at schoolboy level,  some parents were either telling me how great their lads were or giving them abuse when they made mistakes.
    I put a stop to that and only positive encouragement was allowed during the game. ( Inquest took place at final whistle)

Haquebeen at Simon Francis's last Cafc  game when he was taken off at HT when he was having a mare in a League cup game, some fans got off on giving him critisim, really personal abuse, another guy who normally goes in  the north gave Wright - Phillips abuse when he walked off.

Every club have shite fans, it just so alien to me to give personal abuse to individual player.

• Options
    I've never had or wanted to have a player's name on the back of a shirt, but the last few weeks I've found myself tempted to get Sarr on mine, I don't think I've been more pleased for a player to go from zero to hero than I have for Naby and if he carries on playing like he is currently till the end of the season he will get my POTY vote.
  • Options
    I've never had or wanted to have a player's name on the back of a shirt, but the last few weeks I've found myself tempted to get Sarr on mine, I don't think I've been more pleased for a player to go from zero to hero than I have for Naby and if he carries on playing like he is currently till the end of the season he will get my POTY vote.
    If you're going to do it, do it properly.

His name is spelt:

B E C K E N S A R R

See how the club shop reacts to that.
  • Options
    Does Pearce replace him when he's back fit? 
  • Options
    Short answer: No.

Longer, expanded answer: No effin' way.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Sometimes you have to back a player. Sarr has got his chance because of injuries, but he is now IMO our best defender. Not sure where he ranks with Bowyer, but he should be the first name on the defensive bit of the team sheet. Now we need Fosu back in form. Dropping him every other game is not going to achieve this, but he is going to be key for us!
  • Options
    Seeing as we’ve been poor for some time what’s the harming in trying three at the back?

But if not, Sarr is clearly ahead in footballing terms, if not on the leadership front.