Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

Comments

• Options
    I guess this has been on another thread.....

• Options
    I saw "prone to the odd error" in this thread. You don't say!
  • Options
    When Pearce got injured Naby came into the side and was superb until the Donny home game when he was shaky.
    In the final after the own goal he was more affected than Phillips and had to be subbed at HT.(plus the yellow card)

Naby Sarr had a very good season, it's a shame that his 2 poor performances were the last two matches of the season.

• Options
    When Pearce got injured Naby came into the side and was superb until the Donny home game when he was shaky.
    In the final after the own goal he was more affected than Phillips and had to be subbed at HT.(plus the yellow card)

Naby Sarr had a very good season, it's a shame that his 2 poor performances were the last two matches of the season.

Those 2 performances do leave a slight question mark in my mind about his mental toughness under pressure. You'd hope it's something that would go away after playing more of these games.
  • Options
    He was in danger of being done for pace on that big pitch as well - that’s why I assumed he’d been subbed. 
  • Options
    Done for pace by who? They were pedestrian. In a foot race between Sarr and Pearce I know who my money would be on. (And Bauer for that matter)
  • Options
    No coincidence that nabys two shaky performances have coincided with Ramadan. With nutrition being so important these days, to go from a conditioned diet to essentially starving yourself must sap you of energy. Still, the guys been amazing for us and I hope people remember that rather than a couple of understandable shaky games.
    Is this a fact because a big fella like the Nabster would need a high intake of calories ? 

• Options
    Nabby is the best player under contract, Taylor is the most important, but Sarr is the best :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No coincidence that nabys two shaky performances have coincided with Ramadan. With nutrition being so important these days, to go from a conditioned diet to essentially starving yourself must sap you of energy. Still, the guys been amazing for us and I hope people remember that rather than a couple of understandable shaky games.
    Do we know for certain that he was fasting? Was suggested on here by a few that being in sport he has the option of delaying it.
  • Options
    I presume on Friday (against Doncaster) he'd have been able to eat the moment the sun went down, with it being so late being May I cant remember him going to get anything

As we saw that from Ajax (?) players recently
  • Options
    The test will be to see how Sarr gets on playing away at Leeds, Derby, Boro, Forest etc where you can expect a big crowd in a big ground. I do wonder if the occasion got to him over the last two games.

That said the only thing that matters is we got promoted and I fully expect and hope to see Sarr lining up in our defence first game of the season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Do we know for certain that he was fasting? Was suggested on here by a few that being in sport he has the option of delaying it.
    Yes, can't remember who said it, but I remember thinking that they would know.
  • Options
    I presume on Friday (against Doncaster) he'd have been able to eat the moment the sun went down, with it being so late being May I cant remember him going to get anything

As we saw that from Ajax (?) players recently
    This time of year the official time when you can break your fast isn't until after the start of an evening match. Indeed Ramadan in the UK is really hard during the summer, due to our long days

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/ramadan-in-football-salah-mane-how-players-prepare-for-champions-/7gdkluek7uyw1lg84d8hk9aud

A lot of players do tend to avoid fasting during matchdays, especially if you are travelling. As the players at Wembley were in a hotel, then to me they were travelling

• Options
    Scoham said:
    That was me, CE.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Thinking about Naby's performance at Wembley yesterday ..... IMO he's not so happy playing on the left of the 3 CBs. 

Sunderland were trying to isolate him and get him exposed, sometimes overloading him 2 against 1.
    I don't think he's so confident in a 3-5-2.

For me, his best and most consistant performances have come when he's part of a CB pairing in a 4 at the back combination. 

Completely agree. He’s done a good job at left back in the past, but he is a very good centre back. Some people might think that because he has played out there before he can do the role of a left centre back easily but it’s different. You often are caught between two positions and have to defend and block the space instead.

He is not slow at all, but he isn’t the quickest either. Technically very good on the ball and excellent range of passing. I see the thinking behind having him and Bielik as the left and right centre backs with Bauer as the solid rock in the middle. But we are a far better and more effective team with Naby as a centre back and Bielik shielding them in front.
    You've expanded my point very well, Sage.

Beilik shielding the defence at the base of the diamond, get's the best out of our twin CBs - and Beilik plays a more involved and influential game.

I can understand why Bowyer looks to use the 3-5-2 on occasion, flooding the midfield to make us hard to breakdown, provide attacking width with plenty of passing options going forward ... but feel it does make us more shaky and vulnerable at the back.

And Beilik and Sarr both look less comfortable.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    His lack of pace and ability to defend on the floor will be shown up in the championship, as it was last time.  I thank him for his efforts- he’s had a very good season since he came back in December/ January, bar the playoffs 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It wasn’t Sarr was it? 
  • Options
    I think a big part of Naby being subbed yesterday was so that Pearce could play a significant part in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt pre planned for the two to play a half each. 

• Options
    CAFCBell said:
    I think a big part of Naby being subbed yesterday was so that Pearce could play a significant part in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt pre planned for the two to play a half each. 

It MAY be Ramadan.  He's been shown to struggle i big games and looked out of place.  His decision making, marking and distribution were poor.  No way was it planned for Pearce and him to share a half each.
  • Options
    I'd rather take Bow's word for it. Nabby was on a yellow and narrowly missed getting a second one following a tackle just before half time where he 'Just managed to get a nick on the ball'.
    Bow said he also made the change because he altered the formation to a diamond as he wanted them 'To go at' Sunderland.
  • Options
    I think the booking of Nabby had more to do with his substitution.I am a Big Nabby fan.Agree with the comments of him looking better in a central partnership though.Lovely guy
  • Options
    Seemed to freeze a bit in both the home game against Doncaster and at Wembley - maybe the occasion got to him?
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I thought for the last year until this morning that he was out of contract so I'm quite relieved he'll be back.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    His lack of pace and ability to defend on the floor will be shown up in the championship, as it was last time.  I thank him for his efforts- he’s had a very good season since he came back in December/ January, bar the playoffs 
    He’s a better player than he was when we first signed him. Four years ago he lacked any real first team experience, was playing in a new country, in a team that had a lot of other young and/or foreign players, managed by Luzon who only ever played one system. He’s got a much better chance of performing in the Championship compared to the last time he was there.
  • Options
    Reckon Naby will be fine in the Championship, will struggle no worse than Jason Pearce (who dont forget won the League with Wigan and were happy to let him go) - His problem for me previously at this level was the fact that we had foreign managers who didnt get the English way of defending so couldnt teach him to adapt

Both Robinson and Bowyer have managed to get that into him; Taylor has worked really well with him so think he'll be fine