Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby Sarr.

1151617181921»

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have seen people try and compare him to other players but I don't think I have ever seen a player like Nabby before. Certainly not at Charlton. 

Maybe not exactly like Naby but we've had some enigma centre backs before certainly. Majid Bougherra and Talal El Khakouri spring to mind!
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    PWR - Sarr is a no from me. We need better next season. 
    Some proper no-nonsense bloke who'll put it in Row Z every time eh 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Huskaris said:
    It's not that Sarr is a terrible player, it's that if you want a player who has incredibly poor decision making and a high tendency to do stepovers to trick himself, let alone the opposition, he needs to be based higher up the field. 

There could be a place for him at Charlton, but not as a CB in my opinion.  
    I can think of one (but can't place it) occasion in the last few years where Naby has been caught in possession due to over-playing. Not sure if it led to a goal but think not. Urban myth. Wembley og was 99% Dillon. I can remember dozens of occasions where a shimmy, Cruyff turn or stepover has allowed us to break at pace, often scoring, even if he didn't get the direct assist stat. Much like Luiz in his 1st Chelsea stint, and DL matured much later.

Naby's dilemma is often getting caught in no man's land due to the shortcomings of those around him.  Pearce in the middle and no proper LB until Puss. Porous midfield.
  • Options
    I wouldn't go that far - it happens every so often (such as against Preston at home, where he ended up having to foul and injure their best player after a spot of keepy-uppy, got subbed off at half time and we proceeded to play like shit and lose in the second half) - but I'd rather risk over-playing than not playing at all 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The back pass through Dills in the play off final, well that turned out ok but god imagine if it hadn’t. 
    How are people still blaming Naby for "Dills" offering himself for the pass back then some how losing its position? Didn't have it then and I won't have that blame being put on Naby now.

It was a poorly placed backpass, though Dazzler. Never pass back into the goalmouth. If the keeper cocks up, it's always a goal.

In my playing days, we were always instructed to pass back towards the byeline side of the near post. 
    If the keeper takes his eye off the ball or you overhit it, worst case scenario it's only a corner.

Anyway, I told you all this at Wembley. You were sitting next to me!

• Options
    Naby let himself and the fans down against Millwall  . Fair play to him he has come back and produced two of the highlights of the season , the equaliser at QPR and the cross the other night . Hope he stays at least another year . 
  • Options
    Naby let himself and the fans down against Millwall  . Fair play to him he has come back and produced two of the highlights of the season , the equaliser at QPR and the cross the other night . Hope he stays at least another year . 
    Sometimes Naby hesitates and waits for the ball to come to him.

When he anticipates and attacks the ball, he can really do the job.
    Always be 1st to the ball, Naby.

It's a mental thing. 100% concentration required.
    And take no prisoners!

• Options
    I'm a Naby lover, but I was wavering mid-season regarding the contract. Not anymore. He's 26 and gives us something we couldn't really replace in a CB. If anything, being very harsh, we probably need to replace Pearce with a younger, more mobile Pearce, and add in a RCB to compete with Lockyer.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    J BLOCK said:
    No, just a defender who can actually defend would be great. But don’t let a good assist on Tuesday cloud your judgment eh 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Leuth said:
    J BLOCK said:
    No, just a defender who can actually defend would be great. But don’t let a good assist on Tuesday cloud your judgment eh 
    He was our best defender on Tuesday as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree  , had a tricky first 10 minutes and apart from the deflection on to the bar just after we scored looked very classy .
  • Options
    I hope Bowyer starts to consider him in a back four as well. Only seems to play when we use wingbacks at the moment, though if we carry on playing like we did against Forest I expect that to continue for a while. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It's a bit more than just one good assist on Tuesday

League stats so far:

Naby - 3 goals 4 assists
    Lockyer - 1 goal 0 assists
    Pearce - 0 goals 2 assists 

Retain and keep working on ironing out those mistakes please.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I’d settle for that if they made a lot fewer mistakes .  But clearly there’s a happy medium here , Leuth.  I was happy with Leon Cort and Michael Morrison, for example; the modern versions of those would suit me 
  • Options
    Honestly, imho, Naby is an above-average League One player and a sub-average Championship player. I would not be upset if we upgraded from him this summer.
  • Options
    Honestly, imho, Naby is an above-average League One player and a sub-average Championship player. I would not be upset if we upgraded from him this summer.
    He is certainly good enough to play in the championship. 
  • Options

League stats so far:

Naby - 3 goals 4 assists

Was Tom Lockyer awarded the goal against West Brom in the end?

I know it went down as an own goal and we were appealing yet dont recall anything being announced
  • Options

League stats so far:

Naby - 3 goals 4 assists

Were all of those goals and assists when we played wing backs? Genuine question as don't remember. Just curious as to whether he'd have as much impact in a 4. 
  • Options
    Talal said:

League stats so far:

Naby - 3 goals 4 assists

Were all of those goals and assists when we played wing backs? Genuine question as don't remember. Just curious as to whether he'd have as much impact in a 4. 
    So TransferMarkt actually has him down with five assists this season...

The Queens Park Rangers game he started in a back four but Pearce came on for Purrington (so Doughty would have dropped back)

Meaning that yes all goals / assists were when we played with Wing-Backs
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    He is best suited to a five. The advantage of the formation is that he affects our offensive play in that formation and it allows us to play 2 strikers and one attacking midfielder like Williams or Oztumer. If you watch the speed we can turn defence into attack when he is playing and when he isn't you will see a real difference.

I like that formation as you saw Forest had real issues doing much offensively as the central danger areas were too crowded. What we have to do is ensure it is not a negative formation as when we are penned in we have difficulty keeping teams out. We need the defence to have a chance to reset as we are attacking. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sarr on the bench today.
    Hudds keep a very rare clean sheet thrashing Reading 4-0.
    Sorba Thomas the MOM, who we tried to sign from Boreham Wood. 
  • Options
    Huddersfield fans ecstatic about Naby on Twitter after shutting out West Brom!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Huddersfield fans ecstatic about Naby on Twitter after shutting out West Brom!
    How odd. 

Meanwhile, Charlton fans are ecstatic having comprehensively beaten the team top of the league.