Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    th0rryy said:
    Awful, awful performance that once again highlighted our inability to create chances and play anything other than hoofball.

Blackpool utterly battered us in the first half and looked comfortable for most of the game. When their midfielders were given time on the ball, they passed neatly and created a number of decent chances. In comparison, we continue to play continuous diagonal hoofball passes that end up with us neither contesting the first or second ball. Centre halves being tasked with playing 40 yard direct balls that every single L1 defence will eat for breakfast. We bypass the midfield completely, not allowing our best player with the ball at his feet (Coventry) to be part of the game at all, and carry passengers in the form of Docherty and ACampbell. Our forwards can't do anything with the poor quality long balls and barely any simple passes happen. It's utterly dreadful football.

Referee was awful. Housery from Blackpool is some of the very worst I have ever seen at this level - breathing on players meant a 1min+ stoppage and break in play. Despite this, we didn't deserve anything from the game in reality - we were that bad today and 2-1 flattered us. The system NJ is employing is not working and we are starting to get found out. Being a Bruce side, it's not going to be anything complicated against us, and yet, the way they were passing the ball around made them look like world beaters, particularly in the first half. Once Bruce told them to increase the housery at the break, it was game over.
    Don’t agree with this really. They were dominating the game, and could easily have carried on playing that way, and scored another couple of goals. Instead they ended up hanging on (with help from the ref who missed at least one clear pen), and could easily have surrendered two points. Wish they had. Hate seeing that sort of blatantly cynical play rewarded. We had Pearcey who’d go down in the last ten minutes to relive pressure. They had a whole team doing it for the whole of the second half. 
    The problem is (and has rightfully been identified by NJ in saying, regularly since he came in) is that our group of players are incredibly honest. That can work both for and against you, and in games like this with a team encouraged to act like this and amplified by Bruce and the refereee, we have consistently come unstuck by teams that do this against us. I could probably find multiple examples over the past couple of years where teams have played like this against us and got a result. This is not quite the soft underbelly that was pre-NJ, but it is something I feel we are regularly exposed by.

I find it no coincidence that NJ has brought in Hylton and said as much this week that he wants to teach that to our players. When this housery (which, I admit, was amped up to the ridiculous today) is used in this way against us, in recent years, we don't deal with it well. Against a predominantly younger group, it feels more effective. I absolutely share your distaste for it, but equally, can see how effective it has been (and continues to be) against us getting things from games. I feel it's been an trend of sorts, and just felt when you dial it up and have an abhorrently bad referee, it feels the likelihood of us getting even a point becomes infinitely more difficult.
  • Stig said:
    Anyone else thinking that Golfie has been unfairly treated on here? He's been spot on. With this team and with Jones' system we absolutely have to keep a clean sheet, because we don't have the firepower to come back from a two goal deficit. 
    Golfie shouldn't have been mistreated, nor should anyone. I think countless people on here have questioned the lack of creation but have lauded the defensive resilience so far, which makes Mitchell's dropping even more baffling. Looking at Tyreece Campbell's performance today it was probably his best this season and I'm sorry but we have all seen enough of the experiment to play him as a forward and the jury is back in, Tyreece Campbell is a winger. If Nathan Jones wants to improve our chance rate then he needs to take the shackles of the wing backs or go to a flat back four and play Edwards as left back and Small left side, on the right play Ramsey and Tyreece Campbell together. All of them are good enough to take on those roles. 
  • Charlton Athletic, trying to ruin fans weekends, since 1905.
    Not having that.

99/2000 was a great season. Won 12 on the bounce. Shame it was 25 years ago. 
  • abysmal. Jones needs to realise this is football not cross country running, you need to be able to do something with the ball show quality and play the game you can’t rely on running alone , ahadme the shining example of that. Utter utter toilet, the fact he left it so long to bring Aneke on was also shocking and possibly cost us a point

that was the most frustrating game I can recall for many a year with the Blackpool bollocks and appalling refereeing making no attempt to put a stop to it, the not given penalty also a disgrace. That said, I hope Jones doesn’t point fingers or moan at others for this result because it was self inflicted, you give Blackpool the lead like that you offer them the right to piss about like that. 

And this shows sadly why XG is relevant, you need to be able to create chances to score goals, we had half time and the whole opportunity to throw the kitchen sink at it and created hardly anything, needing their goalkeeper to give us an assist to score.

long rethink on tactics needed , great that were generally now more solid and clearly that was essential but evidence shows you also need to be able to score goals and attack to get promoted , every single promotion side we have ever had has been able to do both, I’d be interested to know how many teams in history have got promoted scoring an average of 1 goal a game
    You might be surprised then that had Charlton 13 shots to 8 and a higher xG than Blackpool… 
    There you go, all you fools thinking we were crap and deserved to lose.
    We had a higher xG, so contrary to what you all saw, we are improving.
  • Charlton Athletic, trying to ruin fans weekends, since 1905.
    Slightly OTT...there was a good weekend in 1998....🤔
    That was a Monday though so we can discount it. 🙂
  • edited September 21
    Why would you without reason change the thing that is by a country mile the best thing about this team unforced? That is a shocker from Jones and he better learn from that mistake quickly.
    the midfield and attack were mainly awful today with special mention to Docherty and A Campbell who stunk the place out. 
    We already need to be lining up a few top quality attacking signings for Jan. My hope is that Leaburn, Edwards and Dixon will give us a bit more in the final third up to Jan until we can add what was missing from the summer work.
  • abysmal. Jones needs to realise this is football not cross country running, you need to be able to do something with the ball show quality and play the game you can’t rely on running alone , ahadme the shining example of that. Utter utter toilet, the fact he left it so long to bring Aneke on was also shocking and possibly cost us a point

that was the most frustrating game I can recall for many a year with the Blackpool bollocks and appalling refereeing making no attempt to put a stop to it, the not given penalty also a disgrace. That said, I hope Jones doesn’t point fingers or moan at others for this result because it was self inflicted, you give Blackpool the lead like that you offer them the right to piss about like that. 

And this shows sadly why XG is relevant, you need to be able to create chances to score goals, we had half time and the whole opportunity to throw the kitchen sink at it and created hardly anything, needing their goalkeeper to give us an assist to score.

long rethink on tactics needed , great that were generally now more solid and clearly that was essential but evidence shows you also need to be able to score goals and attack to get promoted , every single promotion side we have ever had has been able to do both, I’d be interested to know how many teams in history have got promoted scoring an average of 1 goal a game
    You might be surprised then that had Charlton 13 shots to 8 and a higher xG than Blackpool… 
    Seriously, I wonder if that stat was down to a change in formation after a first half disaster, because I don't believe we have created that many chances in any other game. 
  • edited September 21
    Charlton Athletic, trying to ruin fans weekends, since 1905.
    Slightly OTT...there was a good weekend in 1998....🤔
    That was a Monday though so we can discount it. 🙂
    'course it was...🤦‍♂️, must have been 1999...🤷‍♂️

• Sponsored links:

• Yes first half Crap 
    second Half better, and we should of had two penalties, but we cannot score Goals and we need a proper Strike Force, as we struggle to score more than 1 Goal !!!
  • I honestly can’t recall in 55 years of supporting Charlton, a worse team of cheating time wasters.

Virtually every time there was contact with a Blackpool player, they fell to the ground holding their heads even though most contacts were on the leg.

7 medics running on the pitch with stretchers and a player apparently in great distress every 5 minutes was worse than even a Gareth Ainsworth Wycombe team.

If every game were played/cheated like that football would die a quick death.

The fact that the referee went along with this blatant cheating and missed an obvious hand ball for the penalty, led me to give him a rating of 1 for turning up.

I wish Steve Bruce and Blackpool nothing but the worst for the most abject display of anti football and cheating that I doubt I’ll ever see again.
    28 years for me and I completely agree. I've never felt so angry at a game because of another team's blatant cheating. 
    Yes- dreadful stuff and I did witness part of the after match altercation between Bruce, Keogh and the Charlton fan that erupted after the end of the game. A guy in the lower west stand was given Bruce serious earache about his tactics -Bruce was furious and ranted back at him asking him to say that closer to his face and then other Blackpool players joined in. To the Blackpool media Bruce claimed it was because a child was nearby, but actions such as Bruce and his team simply irritate fans beyond belief- this is how Bruce has presented that situation:

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-boss-steve-bruce-expresses-disappointment-following-full-time-confrontation-in-charlton-athletic-game-4791869
  • edited September 21
    HRBryan said:
    One positive from today-the guy who won the Crossbar Challenge did a great thing by donating his £7,000 winnings to the Grace Tutt campaign. For those unaware, Grace is a 12 year old who was involved in a horrific crash between a school bus and a tractor in Meopham I think back in May which led to dreadful injuries to her including a severed spinal cord, mini strokes and damaged lungs. They are crowdfunding support for her and are almost 75% of the way there, so the donation today will help too.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/grace-tutt-12
    Yes, was extremely generous of him. Top man.

And thanks for posting her fundraising page. I wasn’t aware of her story and it’s horrific. The fact she can still smile and be positive after that trauma says it all about her spirit and her strength of character, what a brave young girl.
  • edited September 21
    Davo55 said:
    PWR

A deeply frustrating afternoon at The Valley.

Out-pressed and out-played by Blackpool in the first half. We were non-existent as an attacking force and a comedic Ahadme own goal and a long range scuffed shot by Albie Morgan gave us a mountain to climb. And that is why some of us have been vocal about our lack of attacking threat. If our usual defensive strength deserts us, as it did today, we stand little chance of competing at the top of the table.

By the way, classless of Morgan to celebrate quite so directly in front of the fans that had given him a nice welcome back. He wont be so kindly received next time around.

Decisive action from Nathan Jones was called for, and duly taken - although you had to feel sorry for Thierry Small being the tactical fall guy when many others were far worse than him in the first period. The second half was better, but still over reliant on long balls and whenever we built up a bit of momentum Blackpool's "tactics" of feigning or exaggerating injuries took the wind out of our sails. Steve Bruce is a canny operator and his team no doubt followed his instructions but the referee really should have found a way of discerning between genuine and pretend injuries and taken firmer action to stop it. It became farcical.

In the end, we could have gained an unlikely draw or even a win. A bad miss by Lloyd Jones, a header just over from Chuks and a shot wide from Godden when we had players queueing up to convert a cross were all wasted opportunities.

TC made a huge difference and NJ needs to find a way to get the very best out of his pace and skill. He is far more at home and dangerous on the flanks than he is playing as second striker.

Finally, time I think to rest Ahadme. He is decent at holding the ball up and challenging in the air but his limitations are holding the team back now. I'm not writing him off but persevering with him when he is so obviously bereft of form and confidence isn't doing him or the team any good.

Work to do, Nathan Jones.

I disagree about Albie’s celebration. He used to get plenty of stick whilst with us so why shouldn’t he give it back? I’ve always thought this ‘shouldn’t celebrate against a former team’ a load of old bollocks. You should always celebrate irrespective of the opposition because a) you have scored a goal and b) because the fans of your current club, who now pay your wages, should expect you to celebrate scoring a goal for them.

I did think today was a typical Albie performance, about as effective as Docherty was for us.
    When did he get loads of stick? 

Feels like using 'loads of stick' pretty loosely
  • Shocking. We could easily have let in four goals. Ref booked REG and Docherty for minor fouls. Then suckered by their 'game management.' NJ's team selection blew up in his face today. He learnt the hard way that A Campbell and Kanu shouldn't start and that Mitchell is better than REG. For all his endeavour Ahadme is not going to score many goals - ironic he scored a beauty for them!
  • Still 4th

Take it easy.

Bounce back next game. 
    6 teams below us have a game in hand. Our real position is probably 7th or 8th. 

We have 2 away games & then 4 very tough matches. We are already 1 point below the "2 points a game" mantra. Unless we start producing football that ends in us scoring goals then I can't see us keeping pace with the front runners for too much longer. 

Sorry, but selling Alfie May & bringing in players to play a system that produces very little is not looking very good atm. 
    As I've said previously we must be the only club willing to sell ours & the whole of league 1's leading goal scorer but of course was schooled that it's better to have goals throughout the team than rely on Alfie. So far we have non creative midfielders, kick & rush tactics & strikers who have less chance of scoring than I do in a OAPs singles night. It's a shit squad put together by some one who failed miserably at Saints & Stoke. I must admit I was excited when we signed up NJ, not so when we were linked with Gas, I thought he was a dud & I've seen nothing to change my mind, Godden looks like a shit Alfie May & our Luton midfielders just look dire. I must admit I knew nothing about any of them but was expecting a lot more than what I've seen so far. Not to worry we've always got Danny Hylton to fire us to promotion in the absence of a goal scoring strike force.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chin up everyone.

We showed enough in the last 20 minutes not to have to worry about being dragged into a relegation battle. 
    If I posted this I get a kicking. 
    I'll take it for you tonight!

• A great afternoon, but only because I finally got to meet my old mate @Chippycafc for the first time.
    After that it was all downhill 
    Fans should be entitled to ask for their money back, having been subjected to 45 minutes of blatant cheating, which was aided and abetted by the referee.
    Without the fans, football would be nothing, and it's time that the Football Authorities woke up to that fact, rather than allowing their officials to continually encourage such behaviour.
    Football is being ruined as a spectacle by the constant stop, start, that nulifies any momentum. The same thing happened last week after Chucks scored, but to a far lesser extent.
    As for our performance, it's been coming hasn't it, and the ridiculous decision to drop Mitchell, removed our main chance of getting a result, the keeping of a clean sheet.
    Best player on the pitch? Albie Morgan, who dominated the midfield drove forward, and could pick penetrating passes, ie, everything we lack in our ineffective, anonymous midfield.
    Things need to change drastically if we want to be in contention. Miles could be the answer upfront, but the midfield is a real problem unless Anderson can quickly find consistency and maturity.

• Still 4th

Take it easy.

Bounce back next game. 
    6 teams below us have a game in hand. Our real position is probably 7th or 8th. 

We have 2 away games & then 4 very tough matches. We are already 1 point below the "2 points a game" mantra. Unless we start producing football that ends in us scoring goals then I can't see us keeping pace with the front runners for too much longer. 

Sorry, but selling Alfie May & bringing in players to play a system that produces very little is not looking very good atm. 
    As I've said previously we must be the only club willing to sell ours & the whole of league 1's leading goal scorer but of course was schooled that it's better to have goals throughout the team than rely on Alfie. So far we have non creative midfielders, kick & rush tactics & strikers who have less chance of scoring than I do in a OAPs singles night. It's a shit squad put together by some one who failed miserably at Saints & Stoke. I must admit I was excited when we signed up NJ, not so when we were linked with Gas, I thought he was a dud & I've seen nothing to change my mind, Godden looks like a shit Alfie May & our Luton midfielders just look dire. I must admit I knew nothing about any of them but was expecting a lot more than what I've seen so far. Not to worry we've always got Danny Hylton to fire us to promotion in the absence of a goal scoring strike force.
    Be careful what you wish for Bob, many a true word spoken in jest...🤦‍♂️
  • I almost didn’t bother checking in on the score this morning. I was almost certain it would be a 2-0 loss including a Morgan goal. So I was pleasantly surprised when on a whim I decided to find out the score and discovered it was in fact just a 1-2 loss. Get in!
  • I’m trying to work out the tactical decision to leave Mitchell out. The only reason I can think is that he was playing Ramsay very high from the start of the game and maybe wanted someone with pace to cover when Ramsay was forwards? 

Whatever the reason it failed miserably and I can’t make sense of changing a back three that had looked decent.

Doherty and A Campbell are so one paced. They were absolutely nowhere near it today and we were swept aside way too easily.

Blackpool deserved their win, their crossing I particular was a real strength. They know their qualities and nullified us totally.

Now, the ref. I’ve not seen so many fouls given for absolutely minimal contact. Of course I’m biased but it was farcical today. The second half was one of the most frustrating halves of football I’ve encountered. The ‘injuries’ and the way the ref allowed their players to manipulate him was an absolute embarrassment.

Somehow we are still fourth.

• Jones was easily tactically outthought by Bruce. The long ball tactics are crap and he needs a plan B. What happened to our pressing today. I am worried at Jones insistence on sticking with his yes men. In Jones I do not trust!