Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• fenaddick said:
    Anyone know how long Mitchell is out for? Really missed him in defence - don't think REG won a single header all game. Don't rate Gillesphey much either and he's certainly not a left back. As for the midfield, the 2 sweaty socks were so so poor that even Karoy looked miles better when he came on! 

Yes the ref was useless and Blackpool were a horrible time wasting bunch of cheats but we really look poor as a team and I can't see us challenging for promotion with this squad.
    Louis Mendez suggested he isn't even injured
    Dreadful decision by Jones if true - I assumed he had to be injured as REG is not good enough.
    Heard he had twisted his ankle? 
    Can’t imagine he’d drop him, as he’s been excellent, and our defense has kept us afloat this season. Unless it was disciplinary?
  • edited September 21
    supaclive said:
    I think we have to start Chuks/Godden/TC ...

Choose the permutations

Ahadme was better first half but he's not a centre forward.  He has no pace and no balance. 

Our midfield lakes a creative spark.  We have two players that can arrive late in the box but no ingenuity.

Lloyd Jones is our captain.  He's leading by example now.

Doherty/Berry/Campbell...... all a bit meh.... not bad but not good.

Anderson was better than them today when he came on.

REG.  No.

Our right back is a different quality.

The goalkeeper is pretty decent considering Nathan wants him as our number 2.

Blackpool players are a disgrace.  Steve Bruce - you should be ashamed.

Start Chuks? Uh-oh... I thought we'd all learned how that story goes. Hope Jones doesn't get any such idea!
    Going with the logic that it's generally easier to defend a lead, well, it is at every other football club on the planet, I can understand starting Chuks and give him the first 45 minutes
  • If Mitchell was dropped I can't see how it was just for tactical reasons. He was out pre match warming up apparently so not injured but if it were tactical surely he'd have been on the bench? I don't see it. Back three have been solid, why change it? Think there is more to it myself.
    I get why he wasn't on the bench. We only tend to bring one CB and Potts is left footed. If Jones or REG go down you can shuffle the CBs across and still have a right footer on the right. Normally we'd have Tennai on the bench as well so we could put Ramsay at RCB too. If Gillesphey gets injured though we're asking one of our CBs to play in a very unfamiliar spot, and you need your LCB to be properly on it when Small is in front of him. As bad as thing were it would have been worse with REG, Jones or Mitchell on the left side. I hope there's not more to it than that, Jones will have done very well to fall out with Mitchell enough to drop him 7 games in
  • edited September 21
    JamesSeed said:
    fenaddick said:
    Anyone know how long Mitchell is out for? Really missed him in defence - don't think REG won a single header all game. Don't rate Gillesphey much either and he's certainly not a left back. As for the midfield, the 2 sweaty socks were so so poor that even Karoy looked miles better when he came on! 

Yes the ref was useless and Blackpool were a horrible time wasting bunch of cheats but we really look poor as a team and I can't see us challenging for promotion with this squad.
    Louis Mendez suggested he isn't even injured
    Dreadful decision by Jones if true - I assumed he had to be injured as REG is not good enough.
    Heard he had twisted his ankle? 
    Can’t imagine he’d drop him, as he’s been excellent, and our defense has kept us afloat this season. Unless it was disciplinary?
    Well that's what he said, tactical decision.

Which I don't buy. So either an injury he wants to keep quiet or as you say disciplinary.
  • As I sat down in the ground a whole 75mins before kick off to see Watson, Mitchell & Edwards all doing the full length run down the pitch - yes the one where you know these aren’t even in the 18 type running, for them to presumably burn off the energy stored for a match day… I thought oh s*** who’s playing RCB then if Mitchell can’t get a shirt…Bad mistake and the day got worse from that point on… ref diabolical and got suckered into all of their despicable time wasting & feigning injury. Next game please and we better start making some better team selections !! Give Jones the captaincy to relieve Doc of the weight of it? 
  • If that is true Jones is a prick of the highest order.
  • Awful game. We were awful. Ref waa diabolical and allowed Blackpool to time waste continually. Disgraceful dispay of time wasting.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 21
    We seem to have lost the energy and buzz we had at the start of the year, we are not creating ANY chances, we are not getting around the back enough, we are not crossing accurately, we are not crossing from corners well (there was one in 1st half that looped about 50ft high over the penalty area, only dropping to earth having passed the goal post and past our last player, our forward players are not creating spaces/runs for passes and none of our deeper midfielders are running behind the defensive line to create space and our wide players are unable to take on players and then cross the ball accurately.

Apart from that Its probably just a blip. ;)
  • As I sat down in the ground a whole 75mins before kick off to see Watson, Mitchell & Edwards all doing the full length run down the pitch - yes the one where you know these aren’t even in the 18 type running, for them to presumably burn off the energy stored for a match day… I thought oh s*** who’s playing RCB then if Mitchell can’t get a shirt…Bad mistake and the day got worse from that point on… ref diabolical and got suckered into all of their despicable time wasting & feigning injury. Next game please and we better start making some better team selections !! Give Jones the captaincy to relieve Doc of the weight of it? 
    Shocking if it turns out Jones has dropped Mitchell. Truly shocking. The one area where we’ve looked excellent this season, and it sounds like he’s tinkered with it for no reason. It’s not like we’ve been Sat/Tues, Sat/Tues, so resting players. 
  • aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    Get all injuries treated on the pitch while the game continues. If the ball any other player touches the injured player, physio or doctor then it’s an indirect free kick against the ’offending’ team.

If necessary have an extra member of staff come on to put a protective screen around the injured player.
    One reason why I have no interest in watching us on TV is because of the frustration and annoyance of time-wasting. 
  • Very very odd leaving Mitchell out

• aliwibble said:
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    Something has got to be done about this head injury stoppage lark.

Players know now that if they go down clutching their head the ref will stop play.

Don't ask me what the answer is though.
    Again, as I said above, don’t stop play. It really is that simple an answer.
  • aliwibble said:
    Oh that was you! Nice to meet you haha 
  • JamesSeed said:
    As I sat down in the ground a whole 75mins before kick off to see Watson, Mitchell & Edwards all doing the full length run down the pitch - yes the one where you know these aren’t even in the 18 type running, for them to presumably burn off the energy stored for a match day… I thought oh s*** who’s playing RCB then if Mitchell can’t get a shirt…Bad mistake and the day got worse from that point on… ref diabolical and got suckered into all of their despicable time wasting & feigning injury. Next game please and we better start making some better team selections !! Give Jones the captaincy to relieve Doc of the weight of it? 
    Shocking if it turns out Jones has dropped Mitchell. Truly shocking. The one area where we’ve looked excellent this season, and it sounds like he’s tinkered with it for no reason. It’s not like we’ve been Sat/Tues, Sat/Tues, so resting players. 
    He was definitely dropped ! Nothing wrong with him running Up n down & the weights session he did by the tunnel pre match 
  • edited September 21
    aliwibble said:
    Get all injuries treated on the pitch while the game continues. If the ball any other player touches the injured player, physio or doctor then it’s an indirect free kick against the ’offending’ team.

If necessary have an extra member of staff come on to put a protective screen around the injured player.
    One reason why I have no interest in watching us on TV is because of the frustration and annoyance of time-wasting. 
    Just shoot them!.😈
  • aliwibble said:

In the WC in the USA in 1994 they started using golf buggies to take the players off. Then they were treated by the side of the pitch & allowed back on once tended to.

FIFA / UEFA / whichever makes the rules then decided to continue to treat the players in the pitch......but then take then off before allowing them to rejoin the match. 

Only idiots drew up this "compromise". 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Fought well second half against that fucking ref. 

Strip Docherty of the captaincy and don't start him until he can play football, A Campbell too. The rest were fine. When those two went off we looked like a team again 
    My thoughts entirely. Docherty wanders around in a daze, Campbell on that performance well…….

Mitchell was a big miss at the back today. Need Leaburn’s finesse up front 
  • Steve Bruce was boring as a player, and even more boring the way he has now got Blackpool playing, imagine having to watch that type of crap cheating every week, just to try and win a sodding football match...
    Didn't see the first 30 minutes as not at home, but sounds like we were pretty naff, and gave them one goal ourselves and as for Morgan, he was always gonna score today wasn't he, he just reveled in his return to The Valley.
    Anyway, put this one down to a bad day at the office, with such a useless ref, I mean that bloody handball, couldn't be any clearer, the guy lifted his arm to deflect the shot away, no we gifted them the game in large areas, but not all our own fault.
    So onto next weeks game v Stevenage and a chance to put this one to bed, and get back on track, sure Nathan will be spitting feathers tonight, as we all are...🙄
  • No one in Charlton team in the first half knew what they were supposed to be doing.
    No organization at all, Player seeming to all over the place. If  the game plan was to by-pass midfield, then their role should have been to hold back and support the back 4 to defend, break up the attack from Blackpool when they won the long ball and get it off them and return it to the forwards. Our midfield incapable of winning a tackle or nearly so, and the long passing is abysmal as it is from  the backs, This changed a bit in the 2nd  when Anderson and Berry came on.
    This is a team destined for lower midtable.
  • I didn’t watch at all but are we really saying A.Campbell is worse than LePoint…is that actually possible?
  • I thought the ref was hard work but the truth is we were awful. We didn’t have a worthwhile attack in the 1st half and contributed to their goals. Second half we were slightly better but still not good enough. 
  • The defending for the Own Goal was a joke.
    Firstly Coventry booted the ball away (instead of controlling it) and it came back in to the area. Then our defenders should have got a call to leave it as it seemed to be going off.
    They headed out instead. Again it came back in and again it should have been left but was headed onto their own net instead. Shambles.
  • Poor team set up from the start by Jones he knew it straight away whole team looked out of it. ACampbell omg he was absolutely crap. Berry was dropped to make room for him total cock up. Team looked lost today which was strange as they have been pretty ok so far. 
    I think we will struggle in this league but hopefully we can get better as it’s early doors.