Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• The defending for the Own Goal was a joke.
    Firstly Coventry booted the ball away (instead of controlling it) and it came back in to the area. Then our defenders should have got a call to leave it as it seemed to be going off.
    They headed out instead. Again it came back in and again it should have been left but was headed onto their own net instead. Shambles.
    Yeah, good spot(s). I remember thinking the same about the lead up to their first. An uncontrolled swipe and an unnecessary header back in to play were two "mistakes" that lead to the ball in. Goals are usually the result of multiple mistakes, eh!
  • Bailey said:
    We were shite first half. The ref didn’t allow the game to flow second half. It can be multiple things that contribute to a result.
    Callum, Blackpool knew exactly what they were doing, every time they went down they clutched their head, the Referee is duty bound to stop the game in those circumstances. You are right, our first half performance was shocking and going two nil down allows Blackpool to use the tactic of feigning a head injury.Its for the football authorities to clamp down on, not the Referee  Personally I think if they declare a head injury then they should leave the field of play for five minutes to ensure no after affects or concussion, not hopeful that would ever be the case though. 
    I haven’t checked the laws of the game, but I thought the ref has to stop the game for a head injury.

I don’t believe he has to stop the game when there is player contact, clearly not involving the head and a player then drops to the ground every 5 minutes clutching his head feigning injury.

If he can’t tell the difference he shouldn’t be officiating.

The majority of the times they went down clutching their heads, if there was an ariel challenge they clutched their heads and dropped to their knees, twice we had the stretcher on and the only player to be substituted after the stretcher was called for, walked off. None of that happened until the second goal went in, and for the first 30 mins they wanted to play football and deservedly went two nil up. All that shit has been coached into them by Steve Bruce and he wouldn't have coached that into them unless he thought they could get away with it, he knows what the refs instructions are on head injuries, suspected or not. It's cynical, not in the spirit of the game, and I'm sorry but the blame lies with Steve Bruce not the Referee, whether he is a good referee or not. 
  • As stated previous...the highlight of the day was meeting me old mate Queenie and what a pleasure it was, but the the next 77 mins I couldn't  stand that followed. So I left. 

Poor referee aside could anyone explain what the hell was going on that pitch apart from our no 9 scoring a cracking header into it's own net and a procession of misplaced nothing backwards and side ways passes. No goal threat what so ever. 

Doherty, Campbell you should be arrested for impersonating footballers. 

And as for Jones we haven't played a team yet in the top 12..whats your plan A ffs. 
  • I Cannot understand the Mitchell decision. I genuinely thought he must be injured. Jones reason was simply inadequate and for the love of his god I hope he’s had a revelation and will not make the same mistake next week. Mitchell was in a team last year with the second best defence record in the league, and has been fantastic for us and probably the most consistent player overall doing his job making others look very good because they trust him. My Millwall  mates are still pissed we got him . This was a Seriously big mistake by Jones today and I hope he recognises without him we look shit at the back and today was a bloody mirror of last year.  Also, wtf is going on in our midfield. Campbell and Doc, both so poor. I hope and I mean hope if he’s brave enough to drop one of our top performers then grow a pair and drop those two. Same with Ahadme. I genuinely think he thinks the nets are for fishing. I do trust Jones but I won’t if he makes the same stupid decisions next week. I’m so cheesed off I’m going to kick the cat again
  • edited September 21
    First 10 mins or so the game was looking promising, fast paced, but that was about it for us, rest of the first we were utter toilet.

A silly own goal from Ahadme ( who did actually play very well aside from that, yes he did - really - but you know). Reg very disappointing after Tuesday's showing didn't take his league chance, Gillesphey meh. 

Poor defending with a missing midfield and Albie Morgan finally comes.good. 0-2

A bit of a better showing once changed to 433 and TC able to act as a wide man, we started getting more balls in but at least we looked.like we knew what we were doing.

Big upturn in our play once the undynamic duo A Campbell and Docherty went off and we had Anderson and Berry on. Had them pegged back for the last 20 (including stoppage) Berry on the spot again to get his second of the season. 

Berry is the only midfielder who can influence a game in the attacking third, goes straight back in to the starting line up, but FFS don't lump it over his head.

Make no mistake about it we were awful then better but deserved to go in behind and after that showing a draw would have been robbery.

Special mentions to A Campbell and Docherty, yep, they really were that useless today, ran around a lot without doing a lot. Coventry had too much to do making up for their total lack of showing, zero influence in the game.

Extra special mention to Blackpool's gamesmanship, I don't mind it, we'd do it, but fk me, they took it to a whole other level. Or,maybe their whole squad is off for concussion checks....

Extra extra special mention to the ref. Probably having a piss up in Blackpool right now. Cnut.

• Only bright thing about the match was Albie Morgan 1st goal scorer @18-1 B)
     But he wasn't
  • Don't post often but dropping Mitchell was just weird. He has been very good every game and REG was nowhere near his quality.
    A.Campbell looked OK on his first sub appearance but has been crap since, particularly today when he was truly awful and so slow. Unfit or just past it, I don't know.
    Oh dear oh dear, things are not looking good.
  • HRBryan said:
    One positive from today-the guy who won the Crossbar Challenge did a great thing by donating his £7,000 winnings to the Grace Tutt campaign. For those unaware, Grace is a 12 year old who was involved in a horrific crash between a school bus and a tractor in Meopham I think back in May which led to dreadful injuries to her including a severed spinal cord, mini strokes and damaged lungs. They are crowdfunding support for her and are almost 75% of the way there, so the donation today will help too.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/grace-tutt-12

Thanks for posting this.  That he hit the crossbar really was wonderful. I heard them say it was going to charity but not where.  What a tragic accident. Will add a small bit myself.
  • Only bright thing about the match was Albie Morgan 1st goal scorer @18-1 B)
     But he wasn't
    Well Skybet paid out on him as  first scorer. No, me neither but I’m not complaining. 
  • First 10 mins or so the game was looking promising, fast paced, but that was about it for us, rest of the first we were utter toilet.

A silly own goal from Ahadme ( who did actually play very well aside from that, yes he did - really - but you know). Reg very disappointing after Tuesday's showing didn't take his league chance, Gillesphey meh. 

A bit of a better showing once changed to 433 and TC able to act as a wide man, we started getting more balls in but at least we looked.like we knew what we were doing.

Big upturn in our place once the undynamic duo A Campbell and Docherty went off and we had Anderson and Berry on. Had them pegged back for the last 20 (including stoppage) Berry on the spot again to get his second of the season. 

Berry is the only midfielder who can influence a game in the attacking third, goes straight back in to the starting line up, but FFS don't lump it over his head.

Make no mistake about it we were awful then better but deserved to go in behind and after that showing a draw would have been robbery.

Special mentions to A Campbell and Docherty, yep, they really were that useless today, ran around a lot without doing a lot. Coventry had too much to do making up for their total lack of showing, zero influence in the game.

Extra special mention to Blackpool's gamesmanship, I don't mind it, we'd do it, but fk me, they took it to a whole other level. Or,maybe their whole squad is off for concussion checks....

Extra extra special mention to the ref. Probably having a piss up in Blackpool right now. Cnut.

Agree re: 1st 10mins. Thought we were sharp and matched their high energy
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:
    Awful spectacle. Every that is shit about the modern game on show in that 2nd half. The physios clocked up more miles than the players.

First time I've had the pleasure of seeing the new Charlton team this season. Let's just say I was deeply unimpressed. Tyreece Campbell better have the seasons of all seasons or it'll be the longest winter on record. He looked the only player capable of anything meaningful. 

As for 3-5-2. Play it if you have the players but don't go near it if you don't. If the forwards are relying on Ramsey and Small for ammunition, then they and we are fucked.
    You can’t judge on game especially one that was influenced so much by the ref .. everyone wants the manger and players to get it right every min of every game well are we not entitled to demand the sane from the refs , if he gets it right today we win 3-2 
    You are try deluded if you think the referee was the main problem today
  • Bizarre changes today as has been said - Mitchell has transformed our back line and i really don't get REG whilst taking tyreece and berry out removed any attacking creativity - NJ knows our forward play needs improving but the adjustments made couldn't have been much worse - we can't have 3 midfielders who all just want to scrap for the ball and then lay off a simple 10 yard pass whilst our wing backs rarely get past there man - if we are going to stick with 5-3-2 i'd give tc a go in the hole and drop berry back alongside coventry and start trying to play a bit - nicking wins in the second half is not a sustainable way to go through a season and that's starting to show now. Golfie was right and the rose tinted glasses were wrong.  

• abysmal. Jones needs to realise this is football not cross country running, you need to be able to do something with the ball show quality and play the game you can’t rely on running alone , ahadme the shining example of that. Utter utter toilet, the fact he left it so long to bring Aneke on was also shocking and possibly cost us a point

that was the most frustrating game I can recall for many a year with the Blackpool bollocks and appalling refereeing making no attempt to put a stop to it, the not given penalty also a disgrace. That said, I hope Jones doesn’t point fingers or moan at others for this result because it was self inflicted, you give Blackpool the lead like that you offer them the right to piss about like that. 

And this shows sadly why XG is relevant, you need to be able to create chances to score goals, we had half time and the whole opportunity to throw the kitchen sink at it and created hardly anything, needing their goalkeeper to give us an assist to score.

long rethink on tactics needed , great that were generally now more solid and clearly that was essential but evidence shows you also need to be able to score goals and attack to get promoted , every single promotion side we have ever had has been able to do both, I’d be interested to know how many teams in history have got promoted scoring an average of 1 goal a game
    You might be surprised then that had Charlton 13 shots to 8 and a higher xG than Blackpool… 
    There you go, all you fools thinking we were crap and deserved to lose.
    We had a higher xG, so contrary to what you all saw, we are improving.
    We did not have any shots at all until we were 2-0 down
  • aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    Need to have the ref call the stretcher on immediately the player goes down, and then all treatment needs to be off the pitch - this would simply end a lot of the "sportsmanship" we witnessed today.
  • Selection poor and some woeful individual performances in midfield. Self sabotage. Winnable fixture thrown away.
  • First 10 mins or so the game was looking promising, fast paced, but that was about it for us, rest of the first we were utter toilet.

Big upturn in our play once the undynamic duo A Campbell and Docherty went off and we had Anderson and Berry on. Had them pegged back for the last 20 (including stoppage) Berry on the spot again to get his second of the season. 

It is also a problem that when we were on the front foot in the last quarter of the game none of our forwards could score. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I could understand the REG/Mitchell decision if Jones wanted us to play passing football on the deck (which we did in the BSM) but that just didn’t happen. It also showed how much of a leader Mitchell clearly is. MG is not a left back and was lucky he wasn’t taken off instead of Small (who had also made errors to be fair). Think next week we’ll see Mitchell reinstated and maybe Potts in at LCB
  • aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    Get all injuries treated on the pitch while the game continues. If the ball any other player touches the injured player, physio or doctor then it’s an indirect free kick against the ’offending’ team.

If necessary have an extra member of staff come on to put a protective screen around the injured player.
    One reason why I have no interest in watching us on TV is because of the frustration and annoyance of time-wasting. 
    In the WC in the USA in 1994 they started using golf buggies to take the players off. Then they were treated by the side of the pitch & allowed back on once tended to.

FIFA / UEFA / whichever makes the rules then decided to continue to treat the players in the pitch......but then take then off before allowing them to rejoin the match. 

Only idiots drew up this "compromise". 
    Absolutely. It's idiotic. I would only disagree in that it's hardly a compromise. I'd call it an opt out.

If my proposition of treating players on the pitch whilst play goes on is considered unworkable, then go back to USA 94 and treat them off the pitch whilst play goes on.

Either way, let the play continue. If the reason for not doing this is the argument that the fouling player gains an advantage, then by all means let him accompany the injured player and play 10v10. It's just becoming so boring.
  • Gribbo said:
    supaclive said:
    I think we have to start Chuks/Godden/TC ...

Choose the permutations

Ahadme was better first half but he's not a centre forward.  He has no pace and no balance. 

Our midfield lakes a creative spark.  We have two players that can arrive late in the box but no ingenuity.

Lloyd Jones is our captain.  He's leading by example now.

Doherty/Berry/Campbell...... all a bit meh.... not bad but not good.

Anderson was better than them today when he came on.

REG.  No.

Our right back is a different quality.

The goalkeeper is pretty decent considering Nathan wants him as our number 2.

Blackpool players are a disgrace.  Steve Bruce - you should be ashamed.

Start Chuks? Uh-oh... I thought we'd all learned how that story goes. Hope Jones doesn't get any such idea!
    Going with the logic that it's generally easier to defend a lead, well, it is at every other football club on the planet, I can understand starting Chuks and give him the first 45 minutes
    Every time anybody gets tempted into playing Chuks for more than 20-30 mins, he gets injured....  we've been round the merry go round so many times. Even 45 is top much. Leave him be as super sub vs tiring defenders - it works.
    Or, instead of bringing him on when we are chasing a game, start with him, get a goal or two lead, then defend it.
  • LouisMend said:

I like Steve Bruce but he can fuck off today after the way his team conducted themselves for 100 minutes.
  • That was one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a football match.Hardly any flowing football from either team,just up and under,with no attempt to play the ball in to the strikers.Blackpool got away with murder,but were 2-0 up,and at the end of the day,they didnt come here to make friends,just win a match which they did.Dont know what referees can do when players go down holding their heads,as they are obliged to stop the game.If they dont and there really is a serious injury,there would be hell to pay.

Err. Call a stretcher, maybe?