Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• I fully trust Nathan Jones & truly believe he is the man to take the club forward, but Ahadme & Allan Campbell look like really poor signings 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Davo55 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    No change of rules needed.
    The ref should have had a word with their captain and told them to cut it out or he would 
    a) ignore their feigning injury and
    b) he would start yellow carding them.

I recall in The Prem v Leicester when Steve Brown was injured after he fouled their player.
    The ref waited and then showed him a red card.
    Just curious, but how do you know when an injury is fake?
    When every 5 minutes a player drops to the ground holding their head when there was no contact to their head.
    Thems the rules & I've been calling it out for years.

Its obvious. A player goes in for a tackle & comes off worse but there is no foul. Play goes on. Same situation but player goes down holding his head. Ref stops play.

Obvious what a manager would be telling his players to do. It's in the rules. The only way to change it is to change the rules. Or seriously punish the offending team. A red card might do the trick. Or bring in a "sin bin" and the player goes off for 10 mins. A tell you.....the practce would soon stop. 
    You’d need VAR to adjudicate in most instances. Very often the clutching the head thing only occurs when there’s a coming together, and it’s soften difficult to see 100% if there was contact or not. If a player goes down clutching his head when there’s clearly no contact then it can be treated as a dive and punished as such within the current rules.
    However, I think they should look at retrospective bans if video evidence shows blatant faking of a head injury. Retrospective red card, meaning a three match ban. I believe that could be effective. 
    I don’t believe play should continue while players receive treatment. Football is a much faster moving game than rugby, and it would endanger players and physios. 
    Agreed. But it might be more feasible to adopt a form of the "blood replacement" rule from Rugby. Then the ref could insist on an injured player being treated off the pitch whilst allowing a temporary substitution so that teams with genuine injuries are not unfairly penalised.
    If he’s genuinely injured how would he get off the pitch though? Can see getting him off the pitch wasting even more time while they bring on the stretcher etc. Then you have subs taking their time getting ready to come on  
    Yes, fair enough. My idea would probably create more problems than it solves. 
  • Much as I agree the ref was inept and crap and missed the clear handball...the way things were going we would probably have put the ball in row z in The Covered End...🙄
    Just win at Stevenage and we go again, but yesterday's weird lacklustre non performance must never be allowed to be repeated again...  
    Just winning at Stevenage isn't enough. And yesterday's 'performance' was a repeat in most respects of what we have seen in previous games (Bolton being the exception I think). The fear seems to be for most, on here at least, that the issues are deeper and the chickens are now coming home if not roosting already. 
    They've already come home, there in the West Stand Car Park.
  • That was one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a football match.Hardly any flowing football from either team,just up and under,with no attempt to play the ball in to the strikers.Blackpool got away with murder,but were 2-0 up,and at the end of the day,they didnt come here to make friends,just win a match which they did.Dont know what referees can do when players go down holding their heads,as they are obliged to stop the game.If they dont and there really is a serious injury,there would be hell to pay.

Err. Call a stretcher, maybe?
    Dont think we would have had enough stretchers today
  • Talking of chickens, our pigeons seem to have deserted our pitch, should we be worried like as if the ravens were deserting the Tower of London?
  • pettgra said:
    Jonea said we were too passive. If they were told to be on the front foot, why did this not happen.
    After all,  this simple instruction should have been ringing in there ears as they took the pitch.
    Perhaps they've had enough of him & want him sacked 🤷‍♂️😄.
  • Ref can’t even claim his view was obstructed. A clear handball and I am shocked he didn’t blow for it given he was so happy to blow for nearly everything else.

I wasn’t at the game and haven’t seen the incident but the Blackpool player is facing the wrong way , good save like Amos’s (think it was him) at Shrewsbury in the play off 

I was 10 feet away right behind the goal.  It was a penalty.  And I went truly apoplectic in the way only a rapidly balding middle aged man who realised he's not fulfilled  his life dreams and will be working until mid 70s can.

Thank you for posting this, mate. It really made me laugh. It perhaps shouldn't have done because I am as gutted as the rest of us that we lost in the fashion we did, but as a rapidly balding, middle aged bloke who'll be working into his 70s, it struck a chord.

As for the unfulfilled life dreams part, well I still love following Charlton up and down the country and have my daughter with me at matches so that'll do for me. 

Keep going everyone, we support a wonderful football club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Talking of chickens, our pigeons seem to have deserted our pitch, should we be worried like as if the ravens were deserting the Tower of London?

Weird coincidence with the arrival of the new 'chicken fast food' partnership.  Killed 2 birds with one stone maybe.
    Mmmm, Deep fried pigeon...🤢
  • The gesture by their goalkeeperto the covered end  at the final whistle should be reported to the FA. Cheating is one thing, that would get any fan banned.
    What did he do?.

I might try it.
  • Jones style of football is effective when it works, but it's not very enjoyable to watch as a fan 
  • Jones style of football is effective when it works, but it's not very enjoyable to watch as a fan 
    Teams know that if they can nick a goal before we do then there is very little in our locker to get back into it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    We were shite first half. The ref didn’t allow the game to flow second half. It can be multiple things that contribute to a result.
    Callum, Blackpool knew exactly what they were doing, every time they went down they clutched their head, the Referee is duty bound to stop the game in those circumstances. You are right, our first half performance was shocking and going two nil down allows Blackpool to use the tactic of feigning a head injury.Its for the football authorities to clamp down on, not the Referee  Personally I think if they declare a head injury then they should leave the field of play for five minutes to ensure no after affects or concussion, not hopeful that would ever be the case though. 
    All you have to do to prevent this is to simply add the "injury time" as extra time at the end of the game! Then it would be almost pointless doing it in the first place!

You might say that surely this rule exists anyway!

Trouble is that the ****ing refs in our league all refuse to do this and simply add on what they feel the losing team deserves -usually a few seconds for any injury even if it takes two, three  or four minutes to get the game restarted.

This leads to resentment among both supporters and players which in turn leads to violence, dangerous play and and even more injuries!

It also leads to players with career or even life threatening injuries being booed and and rushed off the pitch. This is a scene that I hate at a football ground. It would not happen if supporters knew for sure that the correct time would be added at the end no matter how long it took to get the game restarted!

The referee yesterday should be ashamed of his stubborn refusal to correctly count injury time yesterday.

Interestingly premier and european leagues don't seem to suffer this problem so much after a few months of applying the rules correctly. Refs sometimes even add no extra time to the first half when there has genuinely been no injuries or any other stoppages! I even heard a pundit surprised because he thought that 46 minutes was the minimum time for a half in football!
  • The first half yesterday was back to the nonsense we saw last season. Bloody awful and could have been 3 down if it was not for an excellent double save by Mannion.

2nd half was an improvement and we could have got a draw out of it but the damage was done in the first 45.

Impressed with Blackpool with their football, however not their game management but the referee should have been stronger with that in my opinion and told them to get up and refuse to let the physio on
  • Southbank said:
    To sum up, Our defence has improved since last season, our midfield has not, and we have lost any forwards with an instinct for goal. On balance I would say we are about as good as the second half of last season so will most probably get similar results.
    And, with this squad, will not get promoted.
    Nail on head
  • Still 4th

Take it easy.

Bounce back next game. 

Sorry, but selling Alfie May & bringing in players to play a system that produces very little is not looking very good atm. 
    As I've said previously we must be the only club willing to sell ours & the whole of league 1's leading goal scorer but of course was schooled that it's better to have goals throughout the team than rely on Alfie. So far we have non creative midfielders, kick & rush tactics & strikers who have less chance of scoring than I do in a OAPs singles night.  
    This is of course true but it doesn’t mean that you have to sell him. Surely it’s better to have options and adapt your style of play to these different options in order to expose the weaknesses of varied opposition. I think that’s obvious. 

The only acceptable reason to sell the league’s top goalscorer should be if he really insists on leaving and / or if they are offering big big money.

Was the transfer fee and / or his new salary so large?

Imo we sold our two best players with not a reasonable enough explanation. 
  • Still 4th

Take it easy.

Bounce back next game. 

Sorry, but selling Alfie May & bringing in players to play a system that produces very little is not looking very good atm. 
    As I've said previously we must be the only club willing to sell ours & the whole of league 1's leading goal scorer but of course was schooled that it's better to have goals throughout the team than rely on Alfie. So far we have non creative midfielders, kick & rush tactics & strikers who have less chance of scoring than I do in a OAPs singles night.  
    This is of course true but it doesn’t mean that you have to sell him. Surely it’s better to have options and adapt your style of play to these different options in order to expose the weaknesses of varied opposition. I think that’s obvious. 

The only acceptable reason to sell the league’s top goalscorer should be if he really insists on leaving and / or if they are offering big big money.

Was the transfer fee and / or his new salary so large?

Imo we sold our two best players with not a reasonable enough explanation. 
    I think you are missing the irony from Charlton Bob

• Corr, we do have a lot of bitter ex's don't we. 

Don't get attached to any of the current lot, as this is most of their futures as well. Little maggots 😂
  • edited September 22
    Dreadful game. Worst first half I can recall. Opened up like a tin of beans multiple times, and didn't respond to it.

Second half, bit better, but too little, too late. As we all know we ain't scoring 3, so were looking for a draw at best. 

Ref was an absolute c*nt of the highest order. Never seen someone ruin the flow of a game of football so much. As for the Blackpool team? Embarrassing. How can you be a grown man and act like that. It's shameful.

Only positives for me were Mannion in goal, some very decent saves to stop it being a ridiculous score (ditto Smalls clearances) and Tyreece Campbell. The way Tyreece played today makes me think his ceiling is a lot higher than it seemed last season.

I'll also chuck Coventry in the mix, didn't do much, but also didn't really have a bad game, which is now become a bit of the normal for him. I would like to see him add more to his game though, as he's one of the few with a fair bit of potential. I've already given up with most of the other midfielders if I'm being honest. 

Roll on Stevenage I guess.