Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    A return to the defensive shitshow we have had in our lockers for the last 5 or more years. To give those goals away was giving us a mountain to climb we were never going to scale 

I can't not mention the Blackpool time wasting and I actually don't blame them for it, we can be just as bad and it pisses me off as its never punished and even if it was the referee would have been adding 20 minutes on yesterday. 
    We’ve never been anything like that bad. Nowhere near. Not that I can remember at least. 
    If every game was like the Blackpool game I think I’d probably stop going if I’m honest. 
    There is different levels to it but we definitely take part and it aggravates me. Blackpool wound it up to 11 but thats because the referee let them
  • Taylor into the midfield, you know it makes sense (but the midfielders a t m are scoring more than/as many as the 'strikers')
  • Really, really weird that Jones dropped Mitchell. I think REG is a generally decent player but Mitchell is the kind of player you want to be ever-present. If he'd dropped Gillesphey for Potts I would have understood but taking out the bloke who is the difference in personnel Jones was talking about last season for a back 5 we could have turned out last season is absolutely bizarre. Sort of feels like the 11/12 Stevenage game where Powell dropped Solly and put Morrison at RB to deal with Stevenage's physical threat and it was a disaster. Powell never did it again, hopefully Jones follows that line of thinking
    Really, really weird that Jones dropped Mitchell. I think REG is a generally decent player but Mitchell is the kind of player you want to be ever-present. If he'd dropped Gillesphey for Potts I would have understood but taking out the bloke who is the difference in personnel Jones was talking about last season for a back 5 we could have turned out last season is absolutely bizarre. Sort of feels like the 11/12 Stevenage game where Powell dropped Solly and put Morrison at RB to deal with Stevenage's physical threat and it was a disaster. Powell never did it again, hopefully Jones follows that line of thinking
    Was Mitchell dropped? Or injured?
    He was dropped . I went and spoke to him at half time,  as he was sitting not far from me with Edwards,  Taylor,  Jason Pearce and Chris Solly. I  asked him why he wasn't playing and he said he didn't know,  I expected him to say that he'd got a knock in training and would be back neck week etc . So I asked,  so you've not been selected then ? And said he said no and didn't know why,  but hoped to be back in the team for Stevenage.  I told him I  couldn't believe it and that he'd looked really solid in defence and his organisation and thanked me and I said he'd be a shoe in for Stevenage after the shit show in the 1st half. Came across as a nice bloke. 
    This makes it even more baffling. 

If you’re gonna leave out your best defender who’d kept a clean sheet in the previous game for ‘tactical reasons’, then simple man management would suggest you at least explain your reasoning to him.

Poxy managers.
    Yeah, but in Nathan we trust 🙄.

Sold our top goal scorer & now drops our best defender.  

Our best defender has been Lloyd Jones Golfie, but I take your point. 
  • It feels like a lot of our play comes down our left flank, with Ramsay not getting forward in similar fashion to Small - I wonder if thats partly as a defensive move, as allows us to move to a back four (with Gillesphey / Potts slotting at Left-Back), if the opposition counter-attack.

Annoyingly Small hasn't been able to replicate his form from last season, so has been a disappointment down our main attacking flank as a result - Lot riding on Edwards when he returns.

Might have been another reason for the temptation to utilise REG on Saturday as well - As Mitchell is someone who doesnt really play Right-Back, so if Ramsay decides to be the one to get forward, you cant really rely on a Centre-Back (other than REG) to create the natural back four, meaning that we have the option to attack down either flank for once.

Unfortunately if that was the experiment, it failed in spectacular fashion
    I've been critical of Small this season but only because he hasn't got forward, defensively he hasn't been beaten out wide and produced a goal saving intervention on Saturday before he was substituted. On it's own, Small's lack of forward movement and lack of crosses would be down to a loss of form but the same stats can be levelled at Ramsay and nobody is stating he has lost form. We are, for large parts of the game playing with five at the back and that, I am certain, is a conscious decision by the Manager.  
  • Blucher said:
    One of our many problems is that, Coventry aside, none of our midfielders are showing for the ball and there is an absence of any combination play and passing. The result is that Gillesphey (it's usually him) lumps the ball in the general direction of Ahadme or down the channel. It's very predictable and very easy to defend against.

The lack of second balls picked up by our midfielders only serves to compound matters.
    They aren't showing for it because they don't have the legs for it currently and or the confidence to do anything creative, because they're not ball players, more ball winners.
    I and I'm sure everyone can't understand why all he recruited was defensive midfielders.
    i wonder if any of "our Journos" dare ask him why. 
    (NB I know you know Blucher).
  • addick19 said:
    aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    Because the Blackpool plyers constantly collapsed in agony whenever a challenge was put in . They ref called for the stretcher on at least two occassions, and I lost count of the times the ref stopped the game for what were obviously fake 'injuries.' Ask yourself, how many times did our trainer go on the pitch? Theirs must have lost half a stone - barely had time to sit down in the dugout before he was up again. Absolute disgrace. 
    At one point the player that the ref did the 'stretcher' arms pulling motion, actually walked off the pitch himself, with no less than '7' SEVEN, physio or similar people walking him off the pitch. He goes down the tunnel, then a bit later, I think he came back on. Absolute shithousery of the highest order. 
  • Blucher said:
    One of our many problems is that, Coventry aside, none of our midfielders are showing for the ball and there is an absence of any combination play and passing. The result is that Gillesphey (it's usually him) lumps the ball in the general direction of Ahadme or down the channel. It's very predictable and very easy to defend against.

The lack of second balls picked up by our midfielders only serves to compound matters.
    One thing that REALLY annoys me is when we get a throw and players around them just walk away with their backs to the thrower. Talk about negative disinterested behaviour. I can't understand this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    Really, really weird that Jones dropped Mitchell. I think REG is a generally decent player but Mitchell is the kind of player you want to be ever-present. If he'd dropped Gillesphey for Potts I would have understood but taking out the bloke who is the difference in personnel Jones was talking about last season for a back 5 we could have turned out last season is absolutely bizarre. Sort of feels like the 11/12 Stevenage game where Powell dropped Solly and put Morrison at RB to deal with Stevenage's physical threat and it was a disaster. Powell never did it again, hopefully Jones follows that line of thinking
    Was Mitchell dropped? Or injured?
    He was dropped . I went and spoke to him at half time,  as he was sitting not far from me with Edwards,  Taylor,  Jason Pearce and Chris Solly. I  asked him why he wasn't playing and he said he didn't know,  I expected him to say that he'd got a knock in training and would be back neck week etc . So I asked,  so you've not been selected then ? And said he said no and didn't know why,  but hoped to be back in the team for Stevenage.  I told him I  couldn't believe it and that he'd looked really solid in defence and his organisation and thanked me and I said he'd be a shoe in for Stevenage after the shit show in the 1st half. Came across as a nice bloke. 
    This makes it even more baffling. 

If you’re gonna leave out your best defender who’d kept a clean sheet in the previous game for ‘tactical reasons’, then simple man management would suggest you at least explain your reasoning to him.

Poxy managers.
    Yeah, but in Nathan we trust 🙄.

Sold our top goal scorer & now drops our best defender.  

Our best defender has been Lloyd Jones Golfie, but I take your point. 
    I think Mitchell has been up there with Jones, and they make a brilliant pairing. If Nathan sticks with REG over Mitchell I’ll be very concerned. 
  • The truth is that NJ does not know his best team yet. He is still working out combinations of players and I am baffled why Terry Taylor has  not been used more. At least give him a run and discard if not up to it. 
    Taylor is unfortunate in that the player he'd replace has been one of our best players this season. No reason to drop Coventry and playing Taylor further up would be a bit of a disaster I think. He already looked very lost when asked to play alongside Dobson on the rare occasion we saw him last season so I think he's a player who very much plays one game and wouldn't add enough dynamism into the midfield. It was bad enough seeing Docherty and Campbell together without throwing a second holding midfielder into the mix
    Personally believe Taylor could work alongside Coventry as nobody else so far in the middle has shown anything worth shouting about (Docherty's one goal aside) It would allow Coventry to push slightly higher up and use this passing he's allegedly so good at. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    A return to the defensive shitshow we have had in our lockers for the last 5 or more years. To give those goals away was giving us a mountain to climb we were never going to scale 

I can't not mention the Blackpool time wasting and I actually don't blame them for it, we can be just as bad and it pisses me off as its never punished and even if it was the referee would have been adding 20 minutes on yesterday. 
    We’ve never been anything like that bad. Nowhere near. Not that I can remember at least. 
    If every game was like the Blackpool game I think I’d probably stop going if I’m honest. 
    Forgotten Jason Pearce, I assume. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:

Forgotten Jason Pearce, I assume. 
    That's what was so ridiculous about Blackpool, I mean fair play if you've got one player in your squad doing it... Don't think it hurts to have one individual who plays the dark arts game - But they were nearly all at it.

Genuinely going to watch their Huddersfield game tonight to see what they do again.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    The truth is that NJ does not know his best team yet. He is still working out combinations of players and I am baffled why Terry Taylor has  not been used more. At least give him a run and discard if not up to it. 
    Taylor is unfortunate in that the player he'd replace has been one of our best players this season. No reason to drop Coventry and playing Taylor further up would be a bit of a disaster I think. He already looked very lost when asked to play alongside Dobson on the rare occasion we saw him last season so I think he's a player who very much plays one game and wouldn't add enough dynamism into the midfield. It was bad enough seeing Docherty and Campbell together without throwing a second holding midfielder into the mix
    Personally believe Taylor could work alongside Coventry as nobody else so far in the middle has shown anything worth shouting about (Docherty's one goal aside) It would allow Coventry to push slightly higher up and use this passing he's allegedly so good at. 
    I think Jones tinkering with the side on Saturday has posed more questions than answers. He clearly wanted to play REG and he didn't see much of him last season, so he decided to drop a player who has been solid to accommodate him. The midfield three has looked pedestrian this season but Anderson gives it some energy as he did when he came on. Luke Berry is struggling and Jones still can't decide who should partner Ahadme. On top of that a returning Edwards and Leaburn with the unknown quantity of Dixon, probably only Lloyd Jones and Mannion are definites. 
  • A trivial point, but I'd like to see us kick-off in the direction of the Covered end a bit more. In hope that the support and sight of the crowd could help set the tempo for the game, and eliminate these sleepy first 45 mins. 
  • mendonca said:
    A trivial point, but I'd like to see us kick-off in the direction of the Covered end a bit more. In hope that the support and sight of the crowd could help set the tempo for the game, and eliminate these sleepy first 45 mins. 
    Can you imagine the meltdown on here if we started doing that regularly 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 24
    mendonca said:
    A trivial point, but I'd like to see us kick-off in the direction of the Covered end a bit more. In hope that the support and sight of the crowd could help set the tempo for the game, and eliminate these sleepy first 45 mins. 
    May have a point, I know the theory is that kicking towards our own somehow helps to suck the ball into the net, but it could also prove a negative if things are going against us badly second half chasing the game, as per Blackpool, and they are kicking towards an increasingly angry crowd potentially...🤷‍♂️
    Really makes not a lot of difference which way we are kicking does it...
  • edited September 24
    I suspect Jones thought Blackpool would set up more defensively than they initially did and made the changes accordingly. I can see why but it clearly backfired. It happens. If the midfield was a bit more energetic, it may have worked. Within that Coventry was actually playing well so I think the finger has to point at Campbell and Docherty.
    As much as I thought Allan Campbell and Docherty looked poor, there were other factors in that set up that played a part, Kanu's selection was in there and he didn't get a kick, also taking taking Mitchell, who is clearly verbal and an organiser out of the defence, weakened it and they dropped deeper as Jones pointed out. Ahadme's own goal I think was scored in our six yard box, would we have held a higher line/ Also looking at the second we are all over the place at the back, very similar to the type of goals we conceded last season. I also think Lloyd Jones's performances are at the level they are due to Mitchell's presence. 
  • I suspect Jones thought Blackpool would set up more defensively than they initially did and made the changes accordingly. I can see why but it clearly backfired. It happens. If the midfield was a bit more energetic, it may have worked. Within that Coventry was actually playing well so I think the finger has to point at Campbell and Docherty.
    I think it's best to let the opposition worry about YOU rather than you worry about them. Set your stall out to win the game.....not to not lose it. 
    Errr was that not exactly what he was trying to do by making a risky change to the backline in hopes of it giving us more control further up the pitch?

Just to make sure I’m not mistaken, are you suggesting we play to our strengths which is being boring but defensively solid?
    Ah, you got me there as we don't have any attacking strengths. In hindsight what I should have said is that he should have left the defence alone as our strength is at the back, and Nathan Jones weakened it by taking out one of our best defenders.

But once we get some attacking players & look threatening upfront then my original statement stands.

As you were  
  • Dazzler21 said:
    The truth is that NJ does not know his best team yet. He is still working out combinations of players and I am baffled why Terry Taylor has  not been used more. At least give him a run and discard if not up to it. 
    I think you'd be horribly disappointed. Coventry works best as a deep midfielder. His pass completion rate is 81% from his current position and he leads the league for tackles won. He's not quick and not a player who has ever played further forward. He struggled when put alongside a similar player previously. I'm not sure why after seeing us needlessly change something that had been working in taking out Alex Mitchell we would then move our only midfielder who has been consistently good so far out of his preferred position but I expect we'd be suitably punished.
  • I don’t think dropping Alex is as difficult to understand given what role REG was being asked to carry out. With hindsight, it didn’t work and I don’t think it would have been much different whether REG or Alex were left stranded in a fake RB position. 
    We started o.k, had an element of control through possession (without threatening). Once Steve Bruce relived CJ Hamilton of his duties with Ramsey, it was a mismatch of a 1v1 against REG. 

The substitution of Thierry spoke volumes! Jones doesn’t trust him to deliver offensively. Ramsey was now tasked with CJ (I really enjoyed watching that battle for the remainder of the match) Macca was tasked with Apter. Thierry would have been the forward outlet, instead he came off! Would not be surprised if a LWB is first on the Jan shopping list. 

If CJ Hamilton was the reason for Reg over Alex (it didn’t work but I get the thought process) why not start Kayne at RCB. He ticks the mobility, agility, speed, strength and defensive boxes to deal with that? 
  • I don’t think dropping Alex is as difficult to understand given what role REG was being asked to carry out. With hindsight, it didn’t work and I don’t think it would have been much different whether REG or Alex were left stranded in a fake RB position. 
    We started o.k, had an element of control through possession (without threatening). Once Steve Bruce relived CJ Hamilton of his duties with Ramsey, it was a mismatch of a 1v1 against REG. 

The substitution of Thierry spoke volumes! Jones doesn’t trust him to deliver offensively. Ramsey was now tasked with CJ (I really enjoyed watching that battle for the remainder of the match) Macca was tasked with Apter. Thierry would have been the forward outlet, instead he came off! Would not be surprised if a LWB is first on the Jan shopping list. 

If CJ Hamilton was the reason for Reg over Alex (it didn’t work but I get the thought process) why not start Kayne at RCB. He ticks the mobility, agility, speed, strength and defensive boxes to deal with that? 
    Agree with most of this but this issue with playing Ramsay at RCB is you have to play Watson at RWB and he isn't good enough
  • edited September 24
    fenaddick said:
    I don’t think dropping Alex is as difficult to understand given what role REG was being asked to carry out. With hindsight, it didn’t work and I don’t think it would have been much different whether REG or Alex were left stranded in a fake RB position. 

Agree with most of this but this issue with playing Ramsay at RCB is you have to play Watson at RWB and he isn't good enough
    That was my thinking! So looking like two wingbacks on the wanted list in Jan then! 
  • fenaddick said:
    I don’t think dropping Alex is as difficult to understand given what role REG was being asked to carry out. With hindsight, it didn’t work and I don’t think it would have been much different whether REG or Alex were left stranded in a fake RB position. 

That was my thinking! So looking like two wingbacks on the wanted list in Jan then! 
    Don't think we'll be after a LWB as Edwards will probably be first choice when back up to speed. Think that would have made a big difference on Saturday too. Would be amazed if we bough in WB's in Jan without Ramsay being sold, which I don't think will happen either
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:

Don't think we'll be after a LWB as Edwards will probably be first choice when back up to speed. Think that would have made a big difference on Saturday too. Would be amazed if we bough in WB's in Jan without Ramsay being sold, which I don't think will happen either
    Totally agree r.e Edwards! He’s been such a loss. 
  • edited September 24
    Bailey said:
    I suspect Jones thought Blackpool would set up more defensively than they initially did and made the changes accordingly. I can see why but it clearly backfired. It happens. If the midfield was a bit more energetic, it may have worked. Within that Coventry was actually playing well so I think the finger has to point at Campbell and Docherty.
    As much as I thought Allan Campbell and Docherty looked poor, there were other factors in that set up that played a part, Kanu's selection was in there and he didn't get a kick, also taking taking Mitchell, who is clearly verbal and an organiser out of the defence, weakened it and they dropped deeper as Jones pointed out. Ahadme's own goal I think was scored in our six yard box, would we have held a higher line/ Also looking at the second we are all over the place at the back, very similar to the type of goals we conceded last season. I also think Lloyd Jones's performances are at the level they are due to Mitchell's presence. 
    I wouldn't disagree but you can do different permutations of our front line and it doesn't seem to click. REG can make driving forward runs, beating defenders and in a home game against out of form opponents, Jones would have had some reason to lose a bit of defensive attributes for attacking ones. Kanu and Ahadme didn't play as a pair and who else has played well as a pair with Ahadme.  Jones was probably thinking it might click if we were more front foot.

The other issue was Blackpool won their previous game in added time and there was a risk of new manager bounce.  We might have been better served with our defensive set up, boring to watch as it is and try to grab a goal. But Jones is a brave manager who tries things and when you try things, they sometimes don't work. If I was him, I would see an urgent need to fast track Miles and DIxon to the bench. These could unlock things. Godden looks to me to be the sort of player who will work well with Leaburn but Ahadme could also but they can't isolate themselves as we have been doing offensively so far.