Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

1111213141517»

Comments

• I thought we were very bright in the 1st half against Cambridge. What was it that made that difference? The addition of Potts, Taylor, Godden? We certainly looked better going forwards. Why not change it up a bit? I think Potts may be a better option than Gillesphey. 
  • i drop in on post match threads 3 days after the game and it's like 11.30pm after closing time at the pub  and just a few alcoholic straggglers who are still supping up and waffling away as they're being ushered out the door
    Brilliant. They're still "doing their talking while they're walking" as well. 
  • edited September 24
  • Blackpool dominating and 2-0 up away at Huddersfield tonight. Bruce getting a good new manager bounce out of them and makes our result look a little better 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    The truth is that NJ does not know his best team yet. He is still working out combinations of players and I am baffled why Terry Taylor has  not been used more. At least give him a run and discard if not up to it. 
    Taylor is unfortunate in that the player he'd replace has been one of our best players this season. No reason to drop Coventry and playing Taylor further up would be a bit of a disaster I think. He already looked very lost when asked to play alongside Dobson on the rare occasion we saw him last season so I think he's a player who very much plays one game and wouldn't add enough dynamism into the midfield. It was bad enough seeing Docherty and Campbell together without throwing a second holding midfielder into the mix
    Personally believe Taylor could work alongside Coventry as nobody else so far in the middle has shown anything worth shouting about (Docherty's one goal aside) It would allow Coventry to push slightly higher up and use this passing he's allegedly so good at. 
    I think you'd be horribly disappointed. Coventry works best as a deep midfielder. His pass completion rate is 81% from his current position and he leads the league for tackles won. He's not quick and not a player who has ever played further forward. He struggled when put alongside a similar player previously. I'm not sure why after seeing us needlessly change something that had been working in taking out Alex Mitchell we would then move our only midfielder who has been consistently good so far out of his preferred position but I expect we'd be suitably punished.

I blame XG.
  • The ref was shit today and I think we are all in agreement. 
    But he was not the reason we lost.
    We lost because we played crap.
    Do you want Brownie's job Pool?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    A return to the defensive shitshow we have had in our lockers for the last 5 or more years. To give those goals away was giving us a mountain to climb we were never going to scale 

I can't not mention the Blackpool time wasting and I actually don't blame them for it, we can be just as bad and it pisses me off as its never punished and even if it was the referee would have been adding 20 minutes on yesterday. 
    We’ve never been anything like that bad. Nowhere near. Not that I can remember at least. 
    If every game was like the Blackpool game I think I’d probably stop going if I’m honest. 
    Forgotten Jason Pearce, I assume. 
    No, I mentioned him in an earlier post. I said he was prone to having a nice lie down with ten minutes to go, but Blackpool were in a different league. Night and day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• aliwibble said:
    Rob said:
    I thought we were very bright in the 1st half against Cambridge. What was it that made that difference? The addition of Potts, Taylor, Godden? We certainly looked better going forwards. Why not change it up a bit? I think Potts may be a better option than Gillesphey. 
    Cambridge weren't very good?
    Well, yeah, there’s always that.
  • Would a midfield of TT, Coventry and Edun work? Double pivot would give WBs more license to get forward.
  • Would a midfield of TT, Coventry and Edun work? Double pivot would give WBs more license to get forward.
    Football used to be fun
  • No it wouldn't but neither would Rommedahl, Pouso, Faye and Ambrose, still bloody tried it though. 
    Given up on trying to shoehorn Godden in there?
  • edited September 25
    Sad thing is that some people here think the solution involves using players who have not been good enough to get in the 18, let alone the first 11. Tells us just how poor some of the first 11 must be if we are that desperate already (and I think they are)
  • Southbank said:
    Sad thing is that some people here think the solution involves using players who have not been good enough to get in the 18, let alone the first 11. Tells us just how poor some of the first 11 must be if we are that desperate already (and I think they are)
    We are all guilty of it, but a player not playing is always much better until he starts playing.