Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• Bailey said:
    We were shite first half. The ref didn’t allow the game to flow second half. It can be multiple things that contribute to a result.
    Callum, Blackpool knew exactly what they were doing, every time they went down they clutched their head, the Referee is duty bound to stop the game in those circumstances. You are right, our first half performance was shocking and going two nil down allows Blackpool to use the tactic of feigning a head injury.Its for the football authorities to clamp down on, not the Referee  Personally I think if they declare a head injury then they should leave the field of play for five minutes to ensure no after affects or concussion, not hopeful that would ever be the case though. 
    All you have to do to prevent this is to simply add the "injury time" as extra time at the end of the game! Then it would be almost pointless doing it in the first place!

You might say that surely this rule exists anyway!

Trouble is that the ****ing refs in our league all refuse to do this and simply add on what they feel the losing team deserves -usually a few seconds for any injury even if it takes two, three  or four minutes to get the game restarted.

This leads to resentment among both supporters and players which in turn leads to violence, dangerous play and and even more injuries!

It also leads to players with career or even life threatening injuries being booed and and rushed off the pitch. This is a scene that I hate at a football ground. It would not happen if supporters knew for sure that the correct time would be added at the end no matter how long it took to get the game restarted!

The referee yesterday should be ashamed of his stubborn refusal to correctly count injury time yesterday.

Interestingly premier and european leagues don't seem to suffer this problem so much after a few months of applying the rules correctly. Refs sometimes even add no extra time to the first half when there has genuinely been no injuries or any other stoppages! I even heard a pundit surprised because he thought that 46 minutes was the minimum time for a half in football!
    He added 12 mins Steve, I get what you're saying but they are doing it to stifle any build up of momentum and it really wouldn't matter if he added 20 mins the aim is stop the opposing side getting a level of domination.  I think the football authorities need to look at it and quickly because there is no doubt other sides will copy it, in fairness to those authorities, they brought that directive in to prevent serious injuries to footballers, look at the Wolves player, Jimeniz who fractured his skull after a clash with David Luiz of Arsenal, but it takes some sort of low life to use that directive as a lever to influence games and that's exactly what Steve Bruce did. 
  • Why Jones tinkered with the thus far very tight defence is baffling. He’s obviously a very good manager at our level but I’m beginning to worry about his obvious stubbornness and maybe even arrogance. Hes filled our midfield with water carriers and we still look completely devoid of a goal threat to get top six. Leaburn could make a difference as could Dixon but it’s down to Jones that the service they get from midfield is sterile. 
    There is definitely a reluctance to get our wing backs forward and that is definitely a coaching decision. I watched it at close quarters at Shrewsbury and yesterday I counted one cross from those wing backs and that was from Thierry Small before he was substituted. We are, in the main, playing five at the back, Steve Bruce worked out that if he overmanned our midfield he could expose our back four/five. Blackpool didn't go wide in the first half they went straight through our middle, he pushed his full backs up and as Jones has pointed out our back three dropped deeper. Jones has the players to change that system because Ramsay and Edwards are full backs first, and recalling Mitchell alongside Jones is a must. His problem is who to play as the middle three and who to play as the front three but that's a problem he hasn't solved so far this season.
  • edited September 22
    You know what, I used to quite like Morgan, but he can go to hell for all I care, celebrating like he did just sucks...Blackpool and Morgan deserve each other...
  • Really, really weird that Jones dropped Mitchell. I think REG is a generally decent player but Mitchell is the kind of player you want to be ever-present. If he'd dropped Gillesphey for Potts I would have understood but taking out the bloke who is the difference in personnel Jones was talking about last season for a back 5 we could have turned out last season is absolutely bizarre. Sort of feels like the 11/12 Stevenage game where Powell dropped Solly and put Morrison at RB to deal with Stevenage's physical threat and it was a disaster. Powell never did it again, hopefully Jones follows that line of thinking
    Really, really weird that Jones dropped Mitchell. I think REG is a generally decent player but Mitchell is the kind of player you want to be ever-present. If he'd dropped Gillesphey for Potts I would have understood but taking out the bloke who is the difference in personnel Jones was talking about last season for a back 5 we could have turned out last season is absolutely bizarre. Sort of feels like the 11/12 Stevenage game where Powell dropped Solly and put Morrison at RB to deal with Stevenage's physical threat and it was a disaster. Powell never did it again, hopefully Jones follows that line of thinking
    Was Mitchell dropped? Or injured?
    He was dropped . I went and spoke to him at half time,  as he was sitting not far from me with Edwards,  Taylor,  Jason Pearce and Chris Solly. I  asked him why he wasn't playing and he said he didn't know,  I expected him to say that he'd got a knock in training and would be back neck week etc . So I asked,  so you've not been selected then ? And said he said no and didn't know why,  but hoped to be back in the team for Stevenage.  I told him I  couldn't believe it and that he'd looked really solid in defence and his organisation and thanked me and I said he'd be a shoe in for Stevenage after the shit show in the 1st half. Came across as a nice bloke. 
    This makes it even more baffling. 

If you’re gonna leave out your best defender who’d kept a clean sheet in the previous game for ‘tactical reasons’, then simple man management would suggest you at least explain your reasoning to him.

Poxy managers.
    NJ wouldn’t talk to AM according to AM when he made it clear he wasn’t keen on him .
    He’s wibble 
  • Nicholas said:
    Let’s not forget selling your best striker in years and replacing him with fucking ahadme ffs 
    Akin to swapping Linda Lovelace for an aquavac! 
    How do you know? 
  • seth plum said:
    Talking of chickens, our pigeons seem to have deserted our pitch, should we be worried like as if the ravens were deserting the Tower of London?
    Bring back the Black cat
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm a bit surprised by how much grief Morgan is getting. I don't think his celebration was over the top or pointed, it was just the standard celebration. Why should he not celebrate in front of fans who are booing him? Hasselbaink didn't celebrate his one goal for us against Chelsea and he still gets shit for it on here now, why would Albie risk annoying the Blackpool fans to keep us happy? To be honest, I don't blame all those players for jumping in the way they have on social media; it used to be that former players got a clap when they returned and only got booed if they'd done something to earn it like Scott Parker or Jermain Defoe. Now if you ever played for us, even if you were forced out unwanted and would have rather stayed, you get booed. If the fans can't even be bothered to differentiate between the players who did their best for us and the Lyle Taylor types then why would the players not give it back a bit anyway? Seems that you've got a better bond with the people you worked with for a few years than fans who turn on you the second you aren't there anymore. Can't have it both ways as football fans
    Morgan hadn't been booed by most fans though, indeed he got a good round of applause before the game. During the game I didn't hear booing when he touched the ball.

I've been at previous games where exes have got some terrible abuse, e.g. the stuff aimed at Karlan Grant when we played at Huddersfield in 2020, and he was 100% justified to give it back to the fans when he (of course) scored.
  • If we are to sometimes play 4 at the back, then it has to be A Mitchell and Jones, which makes it even more unfortunate that Mitchell wasn't involved yesterday. 

I was impressed with Jones when he went up front at the end of the game. He looked a real handful, with good strength and surprisingly good control and touch for a centre back.
  • I fully trust Nathan Jones & truly believe he is the man to take the club forward, but Ahadme & Allan Campbell look like really poor signings 
    Disagree. Campbell has looked decent off the bench. He wasn't good yesterday, but it felt like another everyone was off the boil game. 

Ahadme however has looked like he doesn't know how to strike a ball since joining. 
  • edited September 22
    Gribbo said:

That Charlie Kirk is one of the biggest cowards I've ever seen on a football pitch in a charlton shirt. Bottler of the highest order and did nothing when he had ample chances.   Keep posting emojis like a teenage girl though, bellend.

Morgan was given lots of chances, was generally well supported and only got a pass because of the 'one of our own nonsense' which his over exhuberent celebration shows he clearly isnt  despite getting a welcome reception pre game.

I''ll let Payne off as he'll probably mature when he reaches puberty.

Dont even know who the other non entity is.
    Few more here from under Morgan's same Instagram post -

These screenshots are a perfect allegory for how wrong our transfer strategy has been over the last 7-8 years. I can't think of our premier league stalwarts, legitimately legends of the club who will never have to buy a beer around SE7, behaving this way. I actually don't mind Morgan celebrating it too much, but all these ex players coming out in their droves to support it can get absolutely fucked. Glad to see most of em are playing for two bit clubs, or in some cases (Charlie Kirk looking at you, you pathetic loser) can't even find a non league club who wants them. 
    Do wonder if they'd have reacted the same way if it hadn't been against us, from memory Johl Powell on that list (an ex-Academy lad here) is an Charlton fan.

I just see those reactions as them being pleased for an ex-teammate having scored a goal, and they don't give a toss who it was scored against... Maybe Kirk is the exception, but dont really care enough.
  • Jones style of football is effective when it works, but it's not very enjoyable to watch as a fan 
    Teams know that if they can nick a goal before we do then there is very little in our locker to get back into it.
    This.

• NugNug
    edited September 22
    Thought it was a woeful performance and long ball tactics to a forward line struggling to find any consistency is not looking like a promotion winning formula right now. A Campbell and Docherty were very poor through the game and I’m worried about our midfields ability to create chances. Coventry has been consistent and did okay although his set pieces still very hit and miss. TC looked great down the wing much better than when he’s central. Very surprised Gooden hasn’t started much surely he’s our most experienced front man. 

Defence looked very shaky without Mitchell and looks like a terrible decision. Gillespie has been decent but he looked very average yesterday.

The ref blew for everything and was very weak, not that we deserved anything from the game. But the cheating that goes on these days is not making much for the entertainment value of football. We’d have done exactly the same thing in their situation as awful to watch as it is. Good performance by Albie Morgan, kept the ball moving forward for them in the first half.

With regards to time wasting maybe it’s time for an official clock that everyone can see. Whenever there’s an injury or a substitution the ref has a signal for time off like in rugby then time on. There’s no debate when the game ends it’s as soon as the clock hits zero. Have an official timekeeper.

• Sponsored links:

• Plus 16/1 score and win, thanks Albie 👍😉
  • Jones style of football is effective when it works, but it's not very enjoyable to watch as a fan 
    Even less so when it is poorly executed. 
  • edited September 22
    Not going to single Ahadme out based on yesterday, but based on his game time running into many hours now, he has shown me precious little, that he can use what opportunities he's given, or create for himself. Industrious doesn't score the goals of May, without the nous and skill that he gained over a long career. 

He isn't May, I get that, but as a replacement in the front end of the pitch, he isn't worth a place in my view. If he hadn't been bought in the summer to lead the line, there is no way he'd be getting a start, if anything he'd have been sent out on loan. I can see Jones doing just that in January, and he will have been dropped long before then, unless Jones is dropped before him.

Mark my words, these owners will be thinking this time around they've bought a promotion worthy squad (they haven't... yet). Unfortunately they underestimated this league, again, and how much it costs to compete at the very top. Mid-table won't suit anyone, least those paying the bills. The buck will stop with Jones, who's been given total control, if not the budget to match expectations. 
  • edited September 22
    Gribbo said:

That Charlie Kirk is one of the biggest cowards I've ever seen on a football pitch in a charlton shirt. Bottler of the highest order and did nothing when he had ample chances.   Keep posting emojis like a teenage girl though, bellend.

Morgan was given lots of chances, was generally well supported and only got a pass because of the 'one of our own nonsense' which his over exhuberent celebration shows he clearly isnt  despite getting a welcome reception pre game.

I''ll let Payne off as he'll probably mature when he reaches puberty.

Dont even know who the other non entity is.
    Few more here from under Morgan's same Instagram post -

These screenshots are a perfect allegory for how wrong our transfer strategy has been over the last 7-8 years. I can't think of our premier league stalwarts, legitimately legends of the club who will never have to buy a beer around SE7, behaving this way. I actually don't mind Morgan celebrating it too much, but all these ex players coming out in their droves to support it can get absolutely fucked. Glad to see most of em are playing for two bit clubs, or in some cases (Charlie Kirk looking at you, you pathetic loser) can't even find a non league club who wants them. 
    Do wonder if they'd have reacted the same way if it hadn't been against us, from memory Johl Powell on that list (an ex-Academy lad here) is an Charlton fan.

I just see those reactions as them being pleased for an ex-teammate having scored a goal, and they don't give a toss who it was scored against... Maybe Kirk is the exception, but dont really care enough.

Yeah, agree.
    The likes of Powell, Reilly, Vennings and Maloney are just lads who came through the academy saying well done to a mate who has scored.  I shouldn't think they even thought about it being a dig at the club and I didn't take it that way.

Kirk, Lyle T are slightly different in my view but frankly both are so dim it's not worth getting exercised by.