Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• Simonsen said:
    Awful spectacle. Every that is shit about the modern game on show in that 2nd half. The physios clocked up more miles than the players.

First time I've had the pleasure of seeing the new Charlton team this season. Let's just say I was deeply unimpressed. Tyreece Campbell better have the seasons of all seasons or it'll be the longest winter on record. He looked the only player capable of anything meaningful. 

As for 3-5-2. Play it if you have the players but don't go near it if you don't. If the forwards are relying on Ramsey and Small for ammunition, then they and we are fucked.
    You can’t judge on game especially one that was influenced so much by the ref .. everyone wants the manger and players to get it right every min of every game well are we not entitled to demand the sane from the refs , if he gets it right today we win 3-2 
  • Simonsen said:
    Awful spectacle. Every that is shit about the modern game on show in that 2nd half. The physios clocked up more miles than the players.

First time I've had the pleasure of seeing the new Charlton team this season. Let's just say I was deeply unimpressed. Tyreece Campbell better have the seasons of all seasons or it'll be the longest winter on record. He looked the only player capable of anything meaningful. 

As for 3-5-2. Play it if you have the players but don't go near it if you don't. If the forwards are relying on Ramsey and Small for ammunition, then they and we are fucked.
    You can’t judge on game especially one that was influenced so much by the ref .. everyone wants the manger and players to get it right every min of every game well are we not entitled to demand the sane from the refs , if he gets it right today we win 3-2 
    Wow 👀

So you did not watch the game today - and spent the afternoon in a pub getting pissed 

What a joke of a post !!!
  • LoOkOuT said:
    I’m not sure what Captain Docherty does.
    He scored v Bolton & that’s it.
    Mr Invisible.
  • Simonsen said:

If we are winning 2-0 then Blackpool aren't rolling around. Our poor performance invited that kind of nonsense. Silly thing is, they didnt need to do it. They should have been 4-0 up long before that all started. They've managed to beat us despite having a clown in goal....says it all really. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 21
    th0rryy said:
    Awful, awful performance that once again highlighted our inability to create chances and play anything other than hoofball.

Blackpool utterly battered us in the first half and looked comfortable for most of the game. When their midfielders were given time on the ball, they passed neatly and created a number of decent chances. In comparison, we continue to play continuous diagonal hoofball passes that end up with us neither contesting the first or second ball. Centre halves being tasked with playing 40 yard direct balls that every single L1 defence will eat for breakfast. We bypass the midfield completely, not allowing our best player with the ball at his feet (Coventry) to be part of the game at all, and carry passengers in the form of Docherty and ACampbell. Our forwards can't do anything with the poor quality long balls and barely any simple passes happen. It's utterly dreadful football.

Referee was awful. Housery from Blackpool is some of the very worst I have ever seen at this level - breathing on players meant a 1min+ stoppage and break in play. Despite this, we didn't deserve anything from the game in reality - we were that bad today and 2-1 flattered us. The system NJ is employing is not working and we are starting to get found out. Being a Bruce side, it's not going to be anything complicated against us, and yet, the way they were passing the ball around made them look like world beaters, particularly in the first half. Once Bruce told them to increase the housery at the break, it was game over.
    Don’t agree with this really. They were dominating the game, and could easily have carried on playing that way, and scored another couple of goals. Instead they ended up hanging on (with help from the ref who missed at least one clear pen), and could easily have surrendered two points. Wish they had. Hate seeing that sort of blatantly cynical play rewarded. We had Pearcey who’d go down in the last ten minutes to relive pressure. They had a whole team doing it for the whole of the second half. 
  • Blackpool totally out played us especially in the attacking third where they carried threat with simple give and go passes...they looked like a team that had trained , planned, knew where their colleagues s would move and executed the plan with skill and pace.
    Best team won- forget the ref- all the hand waving and passion amounts to nothing. 
    PS lovely goal by Alfie, well deserved. Shame Chuks 1st header didn't go in, we might have bludgeoned them in to a draw.
  • Seriously unimpressed with Allan Campbell, his best contributions have been average and his worst have been absolutely appalling, looks a national league player to me 
  • I’m not going to meltdown just because we lost a game. The season has a long way to go but today was a terrible performance without doubt. The key for me is how the players react will they bounce back or crumble ? 
  • edited September 22
    Blackpool totally out played us especially in the attacking third where they carried threat with simple give and go passes...they looked like a team that had trained , planned, knew where their colleagues s would move and executed the plan with skill and pace.
    Best team won- forget the ref- all the hand waving and passion amounts to nothing. 
    PS lovely goal by Alfie, well deserved. Shame Chuks 1st header didn't go in, we might have bludgeoned them in to a draw.
    I didn’t know Alfie scored as well?!
  • Yet another game where we were dog shit in the first half. Not good enough
  • Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

If we are winning 2-0 then Blackpool aren't rolling around. Our poor performance invited that kind of nonsense. Silly thing is, they didnt need to do it. They should have been 4-0 up long before that all started. They've managed to beat us despite having a clown in goal....says it all really. 
    Ronnie, I don't normally jump in on criticism of your comments but they could have been three up in the first half and they hit the post in the second, we looked all at sea at the back, even in the second half. Facts are, we won at Shrewsbury, we have one big plus, despite our lack of goals, that being our defence, for what reason Nathan Jones changes it is unfathomable. I could probably get the leaving out of Luke Berry but to start Daniel Kanu when he hasn't featured in League games all season is baffling. One more thing to add, as much as I think Karoy Anderson will be one hell of a player, compare his performance against Cambridge to Terry Taylor's and ask yourself who deserved to be on the bench. 
  • Are we allowed to give minus ratings for referees? Asking on the behalf of all of us!

So I posted my thoughts on Bolton which to me was one of the best performances I've seen in many years, it's only right to post one on what's been an awful game and a pretty shocking afternoon in SE7. I actually thought we started pretty well in the first 10 minutes, we were fairly dominant and pushing quite a hard line, but the problem is Blackpool figured us out. Once they found that they could easily get at us on the left hand side our shape fell apart. There was a 5 minute spell when the backline wasn't talking at all and we suffered dearly for it, it was exactly what we deserved. I'm glad Jones has put his hands up and said it's his fault, there was no reason to try a different partnership with the back 4 and we immediately went back to playing like Old Charlton of last season, it was very disappointing today and a massive wakeup call too. 

Second half was better, we went to a similar shape and the subs made the difference, but by then it was too late, the damage was done and with a game that's so stop and start there was no chance to get any kind of flow into the game, I can't remember such a frustrating afternoon and one that's left me quite angry to be honest. 

And of course that leads to the obvious elephant in the room, the ref. League One referees have been particularly bad this season, I thought I had seen it all over the last few games and this year they're shocking. But today.. utterly awful, so bad that I hope he's pulled from next week's schedules and have his license revoked. That's how angry and frustrated he left me feeling! (Apologies to anyone in the F Block for my shouts, not a great day to have kids for a quid at The Valley...). Yes Blackpool played a very tactical performance in going down every second, it was ugly and just awful gamesmanship, it's a shame that it won't be called out in any official way too. But the ref should have got on top of it, giving 12 minutes of extra time does nothing if you allow them to stop the game that much. It was just diabolical and really needs to be stamped out. 

So this leads me to my last thought, and probably the one I'm the most disappointed with. This will get some flak too but I'm disappointed with our crowd. The boos at half time, the sarcastic cynical claps for Ahadme when he was subbed off, the insults thrown at A.Campbell, even our fans having a go at our physios for helping out with a head injury on the Blackpool goal keeper. We need to get over this toxic atmosphere because we're better than that surely? I know we've been through some shit over these years, but the club is finally in a good situation and getting back on it's feet. Yes we had a bad day today, not every game is going to be perfect, but I wish the atmosphere wouldn't turn like that, it's not what we need if we want to go up.

Highlight of the game? Chicken George and the Half Time Hit The Bar Challenge, first time I've seen a guy win it and he hit is beautifully!
  • Sponsored links:

• I honestly can’t recall in 55 years of supporting Charlton, a worse team of cheating time wasters.

Virtually every time there was contact with a Blackpool player, they fell to the ground holding their heads even though most contacts were on the leg.

7 medics running on the pitch with stretchers and a player apparently in great distress every 5 minutes was worse than even a Gareth Ainsworth Wycombe team.

If every game were played/cheated like that football would die a quick death.

The fact that the referee went along with this blatant cheating and missed an obvious hand ball for the penalty, led me to give him a rating of 1 for turning up.

I wish Steve Bruce and Blackpool nothing but the worst for the most abject display of anti football and cheating that I doubt I’ll ever see again.
    28 years for me and I completely agree. I've never felt so angry at a game because of another team's blatant cheating. 
  • edited September 21
    aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    No change of rules needed.
    The ref should have had a word with their captain and told them to cut it out or he would 
    a) ignore their feigning injury and
    b) he would start yellow carding them.

I recall in The Prem v Leicester when Steve Brown was "injured" after he fouled their player.
    The ref waited and then showed him a red card.
  • Stig said:
    Anyone else thinking that Golfie has been unfairly treated on here? He's been spot on. With this team and with Jones' system we absolutely have to keep a clean sheet, because we don't have the firepower to come back from a two goal deficit. 
    It’s 100% true whenever we’ve gone 1 down even against Rotherham, never feels like we are going to come from behind to win.

We rely on nicking a goal and holding the 1-0 or getting a second on a break (but we’ve not really seen that much)
  • aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    No change of rules needed.
    The ref should have had a word with their captain and told them to cut it out or he would 
    a) ignore their feigning injury and
    b) he would start yellow carding them.

I recall in The Prem v Leicester when Steve Brown was injured after he fouled their player.
    The ref waited and then showed him a red card.
    Just curious, but how do you know when an injury is fake?
  • edited September 21
    Charlton Athletic, trying to ruin fans weekends, since 1905.
    Slightly OTT...there was a good weekend in 1998....🤔
  • Simonsen said:

Didn't go today as I knew what was coming. Rather stay at home & watch the golf from Wentworth. 

Until we get the wingbacks crossing with intent & a creative midfielder to play in the strikers then we are going to struggle to score.

Our clean sheet record is admirable but let the first goal in & the best we've done so far this season is a draw. 2-0 v Reading, 1-1 v Rotherham, 2-1 today. 

I'm hoping to go to the 3 big home games next month, but not expecting much from them. It is said you need to win your home games & draw away if you want automatic promotion. Next 3 away are Stevenage, Bristol Rovers & Peterborough. Next 3 at home are Birmingham, Stockport & Wrexham. So we should be looking at 12 points from those 6 games.....and we are already 1 point adrift from the "2 points a game" ratio. 

Tough times ahead.