Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• edited September 21
    The usual problem with Chuks is still there. He's so much better than everyone else. If only he could last 60 mins. 

He needs a strike partner with ability, dare I say it, like May. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    The usual problem with Chuks is still there. He's so much better than everyone else. If only he could last 60 mins. 

He needs a strike partner with ability, dare I say it, like May. 
    My guess is no... You dare not say it!
  • Blackpool totally took the mick play acting but we left loads of room in our full back positions, and if our main plan is long ball we need a good set piece taker. 

Not many positives to take but if we can get 4 points from 15th place Stevenage & 19th place Bristol Rovers it'll be forgotten.
  • ozaddick said:
    I'm also finding Brownie's commentary a little grinding, he takes up so much air time around scenarios, when the ball is in play. For those only listening to the match it would be even worse. A good, co-commentator adds little snippets, not drawn out monologues. His Knowledge is unquestionably good, just need to allow the commentary of the action to be in the main. 
    Exactly, this is why he is so much better in the studio where he has less time and more focus to analyse certain passages of play. 

I don’t want to hear him give a prolonged scenario about how he thinks it would have been better if Coventry had dragged the ball back, spun the player and played a perfect 45 yard cross-field pass - because you know if that goes wrong he would be saying he should have played the simple pass into space. 

The worst thing is it takes away from Gregg doing it, who I think is very good at that role 
  • Nicholas said:
    Nicholas said:
    Another manager coming in and putting all his eggs in one basket for one formation only. These useless idiots will never learn. We have signed shit from Swindon didn’t work. Still signing shit from Ipswich doesn’t work. Now signing shit from
    luton doesn’t fucking work.  Something that worked for jones 3-4 years ago doesn’t mean they are gonna be any good this tome
    around. Pants managers with no clue. 
    We went from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3 today, with the switch in formation bringing us back into the game, whilst it was one of those "Luton" signings who got us back into the game?
    And we don’t have the players to play 4-3-3 ffs. Mis match of shit ffs. I’m not getting into arguments with you again you prove every season you ain’t got a clue ffs 

We actually do have those players Nicholas but when you are third in the table and have a more than reasonable start with the formation, you probably would stick with it. You like me have probably watched every game this season and have been  concerned about our lack of creation, might be the opportunity to change that now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9DA9
    edited September 21
    Totally deserved to be beaten, however the ref was diabolical, he was an enabler for the Blackpool synchronised diving team, never seen such blatant shithousery and gamesmanship ignored by a ref in my life.
    Their physio must have had the highest optima stats in history
  • The ref was shit today and I think we are all in agreement. 
    But he was not the reason we lost.
    We lost because we played crap.
    That's definitely how I saw it Blackpool. 
  • We looked like 2023/24 Charlton without Mitchell especially in the first half. After the break mindful of earlier games, Blackpool played us with their persistent stoppage tactics together with their extra man (the ref) and deserved the win. We will never win games like this when we have no creativity in the side. 
  • Bailey said:
    blackpool72 said:
    The ref was shit today and I think we are all in agreement. 

Bailey, if you agree with  Blackpool72 that the referee was shit, why did you give him the positive rating in the players marks?
  • Sponsored links:

• Bailey said:
    blackpool72 said:
    The ref was shit today and I think we are all in agreement. 

Bailey, if you agree with  Blackpool72 that the referee was shit, why did you give him the positive rating in the players marks?
    I didnt agree that the ref was shit. I should have said I agree with Blackpool's last sentence, they started the head injury nonsense after they went two nil up, the Referee was not responsible for us going two nil down, our players were. If our players do their jobs then Blackpool don't use the head injury tactic. I'm more annoyed with some our performances than the referee's performance. 
  • Really, really weird that Jones dropped Mitchell. I think REG is a generally decent player but Mitchell is the kind of player you want to be ever-present. If he'd dropped Gillesphey for Potts I would have understood but taking out the bloke who is the difference in personnel Jones was talking about last season for a back 5 we could have turned out last season is absolutely bizarre. Sort of feels like the 11/12 Stevenage game where Powell dropped Solly and put Morrison at RB to deal with Stevenage's physical threat and it was a disaster. Powell never did it again, hopefully Jones follows that line of thinking
    Was he dropped? 
  • Really, really weird that Jones dropped Mitchell. I think REG is a generally decent player but Mitchell is the kind of player you want to be ever-present. If he'd dropped Gillesphey for Potts I would have understood but taking out the bloke who is the difference in personnel Jones was talking about last season for a back 5 we could have turned out last season is absolutely bizarre. Sort of feels like the 11/12 Stevenage game where Powell dropped Solly and put Morrison at RB to deal with Stevenage's physical threat and it was a disaster. Powell never did it again, hopefully Jones follows that line of thinking
    Was he dropped? 
    “I changed one or two personnel today because of certain things. Luke Berry has been struggling. I felt I wanted to just play a little bit more, be really aggressive so I brought Rarmani in. It’s my fault for changing team. It’s just tactical [to drop Mitchell]. I made a decision. Whether rightly or wrongly, we weren’t ourselves. It wasn’t just one position there, we were a mile off first-half. I’ll look at those decisions and adjust from there as there’s a lot of frustration around the game today.”
    Really, really weird that Jones dropped Mitchell. I think REG is a generally decent player but Mitchell is the kind of player you want to be ever-present. If he'd dropped Gillesphey for Potts I would have understood but taking out the bloke who is the difference in personnel Jones was talking about last season for a back 5 we could have turned out last season is absolutely bizarre. Sort of feels like the 11/12 Stevenage game where Powell dropped Solly and put Morrison at RB to deal with Stevenage's physical threat and it was a disaster. Powell never did it again, hopefully Jones follows that line of thinking
    Was Mitchell dropped? Or injured?
  • The ref was shit today and I think we are all in agreement. 
    We were crap and deserved to be 2 goals down at half time.

We were better in the second half and deserved at least the one goal we got. The argument is that we might have been able to create more if the ref didn’t blow his whistle every 20 seconds.

We deserved what we got and no one is saying otherwise. 

Only comments on the ref are to point out that that was the most consistently poor refereeing performance that I’ve seen in a long time. He didn’t have many major decisions to get wrong but he had no control over the game and fell for everything from both teams - everything was a foul and a free kick.
  • If Mitchell was dropped I can't see how it was just for tactical reasons. He was out pre match warming up apparently so not injured but if it were tactical surely he'd have been on the bench? I don't see it. Back three have been solid, why change it? Think there is more to it myself.
    Mitchell  is verbal and talks across the back four/five, bad decision to leave him out, Jones still hasn't explained the Kanu decision though and he might want to add Allan Campbell to the list of 'I got it wrong'