Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• Very forgettable performance, 1st half non existent and 2nd half we were better but the game was so stop start for all the near fatal injuries Blackpool suffered. 

Was a bit surprised Godden and Aneke didn't come on till the 70th minute. 
  • Worst time wasting and cheating I’ve seen ever I think. 

We were poor but the reff just let Blackpool do what they wanted. It was virtually impossible to gain any sort of momentum. 
    This. Really weak refereeing 
  • abysmal. Jones needs to realise this is football not cross country running, you need to be able to do something with the ball show quality and play the game you can’t rely on running alone , ahadme the shining example of that. Utter utter toilet, the fact he left it so long to bring Aneke on was also shocking and possibly cost us a point

that was the most frustrating game I can recall for many a year with the Blackpool bollocks and appalling refereeing making no attempt to put a stop to it, the not given penalty also a disgrace. That said, I hope Jones doesn’t point fingers or moan at others for this result because it was self inflicted, you give Blackpool the lead like that you offer them the right to piss about like that. 

And this shows sadly why XG is relevant, you need to be able to create chances to score goals, we had half time and the whole opportunity to throw the kitchen sink at it and created hardly anything, needing their goalkeeper to give us an assist to score.

long rethink on tactics needed , great that were generally now more solid and clearly that was essential but evidence shows you also need to be able to score goals and attack to get promoted , every single promotion side we have ever had has been able to do both, I’d be interested to know how many teams in history have got promoted scoring an average of 1 goal a game
    You might be surprised then that had Charlton 13 shots to 8 and a higher xG than Blackpool… 
    !!!
  • fenaddick said:
    Anyone know how long Mitchell is out for? Really missed him in defence - don't think REG won a single header all game. Don't rate Gillesphey much either and he's certainly not a left back. As for the midfield, the 2 sweaty socks were so so poor that even Karoy looked miles better when he came on! 

Yes the ref was useless and Blackpool were a horrible time wasting bunch of cheats but we really look poor as a team and I can't see us challenging for promotion with this squad.
    Louis Mendez suggested he isn't even injured
    Dreadful decision by Jones if true - I assumed he had to be injured as REG is not good enough.
  • The first half was just bloody awful! No cohesion, no spirit, no idea. Second half was mildly better, Chuks made a difference as did TC and Berry.
    Why was Taylor not even in the squad, makes no sense whatsoever!
    Ref was by far the worst I've ever seen and should be reported.
    Blackpool players were just cheating the entire 2nd half and Mr useless ref let them get away with it.
    However leaving the ref to one-side NJ has a lot of work to do this week and make several changes next Saturday!
    One word sums up the game for me......Abysmal!!
  • Ref was shocking but so were we. Only looked like scoring when Aneke came on
  • aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    Something has got to be done about this head injury stoppage lark.

Players know now that if they go down clutching their head the ref will stop play.

Don't ask me what the answer is though.
    A longer spell on the sidelines, 3 minutes maybe? Or maybe refs who are not so easily fooled.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chin up everyone.

We showed enough in the last 20 minutes not to have to worry about being dragged into a relegation battle. 
    If I posted this I get a kicking. 
    I'll take it for you tonight!
  • CAFCTrev said:
    The ref was crap but im not falling into the trap of blaming him for the loss. We were awful in the first half and deservedly 2 down. We were better in the 2nd and though the constant play acting had an impact, we really didnt create a lot of clear cut chances to threaten getting something from the game. Their keeper had to make 1 maybe 2 big saves in the second half? We should have been battering that goal in the 12+ minutes of injury time.
    We should have been piling the pressure on after going 2 down - had we got one back before half time then we come out on the front foot second half and try and win the game but it seems this team can't score until late in the second half.
  • I can't figure it out.  Lots of experts on here said last season you don't need to tackle to be in midfield and continually criticised Dobson.  We now have a non tackling midfield the envy of everyone. Yet we are shit.
    Has to go down as the worst football experience in my 40 Years of watching us.
    Don't think anyone said that at all, just that his positional play caused some of the need for the tackling. I was disappointed by how reluctant the midfield was to put a foot in today and positionally they were all over the shop. Anderson and Berry looked good when they came on and played the way we should have from the start. If you have an overload in midfield you should be aggressive and in the face of the opposing midfielders
  • 1st half was appalling from us,gifted them the 2 goals. Cant blame the ref for that. The 2nd half,well,what can any of us say? The downright cheating of the blackpool players was just embarrassing,they played on the fact that quite frankly, the ref was the weakest,most spineless excuse for a match official. From the 2 handed save from their defender that somehow he didnt see to the constant decision to literally give every their way,it was entirely his fault that the atmosphere on and off the pitch was so hot tempered. Im all for sporting gestures but I'm pretty sure if i was a Charlton player i would have struggled to shake his hand at the end. As usual there will be no comeback on the plank and no doubt Jones wont be able to hold his tongue so will get fined. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chin up everyone.

We showed enough in the last 20 minutes not to have to worry about being dragged into a relegation battle. 
    If I posted this I get a kicking. 
    Ah come on Golfie, you love it 

If not, you are surprisingly masochistic.
  • fenaddick said:
    I just don't understand why we play a 3 man midfield if we don't use them in possession. An extra pass in midfield would give the WB's time to get forward while still being on the move. We are so so easy to defend against
    I think the wing backs are being told to stay and make a five at the back, same at Shrewsbury, when Small is allowed to go forward he looks close to the player of last season, he hasn't got got forward in most games and we have suffered for it. 
  • Doc and Allan Campbell were awful. REG terrible too. 

Coventry played well considering he was on his own in midfield. TC came on and played well again. Kanu shouldn’t have started.

The worry is being unable to change things up. Edun or Taylor should on the bench to come into the midfield and get us moving the ball on the floor. 

Ugly. 
  • Still 4th

Take it easy.

Bounce back next game. 
    6 teams below us have a game in hand. Our real position is probably 7th or 8th. 

We have 2 away games & then 4 very tough matches. We are already 1 point below the "2 points a game" mantra. Unless we start producing football that ends in us scoring goals then I can't see us keeping pace with the front runners for too much longer. 

Sorry, but selling Alfie May & bringing in players to play a system that produces very little is not looking very good atm. 
    Haha... I do love CharltonLife, when these classic lines such as our real position in the League gets trotted out
  • Bailey said:
    fenaddick said:
    I just don't understand why we play a 3 man midfield if we don't use them in possession. An extra pass in midfield would give the WB's time to get forward while still being on the move. We are so so easy to defend against
    I think the wing backs are being told to stay and make a five at the back, same at Shrewsbury, when Small is allowed to go forward he looks close to the player of last season, he hasn't got got forward in most games and we have suffered for it. 
    That's fine if your midfield pushes forward but ours just doesn't. There's often a 20 yard gap between our striker challenging for the ball and any midfield player challenging for the knockdwon