Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic v Blackpool: Saturday 21st September 2024: KO 15:00

Comments

• I'd love Nathan in his post match interview to say:

"In terms of stuff, I'd love to say what I want about the ref bit I can't because I'd be fined and banned. The good news is, in terms of stuff that I can think it without punishment ... and I think that, in terms of stuff this was one of the mist disgraceful refereeing performances I've ever seen in senior mens football."

• Very poor team selection today. Think it’s atrocious that Taylor was not rewarded for a good performance on Tuesday Tayo too for that matter. Think jones really needs to sit down and have a think about his selection 
    Those players never played for Luton! 
  • You know if they'd just kept playing I'd have said fair play to them.  They outclassed us most of the first half and deserved it 

But that has to be THE most shocking display of time wasting I've ever seen.  Honestly, if we did that, to that degree, I'd be embarrassed.  

By the time we managed to remember how to play a game again it was too late.

I think I need to sort out going up there for our game now because I want to be there when we kick seven shades out of them*

Hope the ref enjoys his lift home on their coach. 

*Yes, I know this could end up going drastically wrong.
    Only team to match them for that style of play was when Oxford did it at the Valley a few years ago under Robinson - Was probably even worse that day, as they were 3-0 / 4-0 up before HT and just destroyed us
  • Well Alfie didn’t score but Stansfield did…think Brum will be team to beat this year
  • edited September 21
    ct_addick said:
    Well Alfie didn’t score but Stansfield did…think Brum will be team to beat this year
    If we keep playing like this, we won't be looking at the top 2 places much this year. 
  • Sponsored links:

• LoOkOuT said:
    I’m not sure what Captain Docherty does.
    Makes sure we kick the right way first half.

And he even stuffed that up last time.
  • ct_addick said:
    Well Alfie didn’t score but Stansfield did…think Brum will be team to beat this year
    We're a bit fortunate really that this was a weekend where apart from the top two and Barnsley... Everyone has had a bit of a shocker in theirs of results - Defeat will happen a few more times yet this season, but god it needs to be done from a better performance than today.
  • aliwibble said:
    How on earth did we end up with 12 mins of added time second half?
    It was 13.48. And should have been 15. More shithousery after the 12 were announced. 
    But as @seth plum, sitting behind me said, how do you change the rules to stop it?
    Yeah unfortunately this season we've seen a massive change to how teams approach delaying games, past seasons and its nearly always players just taking their time with set pieces, Goalkeepers getting booed to hell whilst they take Goal Kicks.

Incidents like that now, happen a lot less, because they know they'll get booked. Of course its still a risk going down faking an injury, as you have to go off for 30secs, maybe that time needs extending to really weed out the fakers, but then you're just hurting the teams who dont time waste in that matter, and have lumps kicked out of them.
  • edited September 21
    Does anybody on here honestly think that whichever players we change for next week, we will play any better than today?
    Sorry NJ, you will have to start leaving some of your mates out of the starting 11
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    Does anybody on here honestly think that whichever players we change for next week, we will play any better than today?
    So
    Our performances have been the same all season. 

The result might be better though with an improved defense. 
  • If i was Terry Taylor i would be fuming. Best player in midweek and can't get in the squad ahead of A Campbell who started which was inexcusable. 
  • edited September 21
    LoOkOuT said:
    We continually bypass a weak midfield to knock it long to an ineffective attacking two. We’re not good enough to compete at the top, with only the Bolton match to point to in terms of a good performance in the first seven league games. We’re way off where we need to be for promotion. 
    The reality is we are upper mid table which is improvement on last seasons lower mid table. If progress is the measure, then that's it. Unfortunately our improved defence was not at the game to day. We got our usual single goal, but that's not going or be enough over the course of the season.

First half, we made Pool look like Citeah. They really played 'that good' to our 'that bad' with 0-2 flattering us.

Pool's early season form belies the talent in the midfield. They bossed us with ease and we had no resistance. So what do we do. Jonesball continues with lump after lump up the pitch to nobody. On 70 minutes Chuks and Godden stepped forward, unfortunately, this ref was have none of the shenanigans, hence 12.minutes were added for foul after foul and even if it wasn't a foul, Pool players laid out on the pitch like clubbed seals (time, after time, after time). That extra time was added after extra time, says all you need to know. The ref was poor, we were worse.

Jones has a conundrum. Not who should be dropped, but who should be kept. If Jones blames the ref for the result, he's deluded. Nothing unlucky about that result. 

We were crap. I think our fans boo'd the ref at the end and clapped Pool fans.

On to next Saturday, it can't be worse!!

• I just don't understand why we play a 3 man midfield if we don't use them in possession. An extra pass in midfield would give the WB's time to get forward while still being on the move. We are so so easy to defend against
  • Anyone know how long Mitchell is out for? Really missed him in defence - don't think REG won a single header all game. Don't rate Gillesphey much either and he's certainly not a left back. As for the midfield, the 2 sweaty socks were so so poor that even Karoy looked miles better when he came on! 

Yes the ref was useless and Blackpool were a horrible time wasting bunch of cheats but we really look poor as a team and I can't see us challenging for promotion with this squad.
  • Anyone know how long Mitchell is out for? Really missed him in defence - don't think REG won a single header all game. Don't rate Gillesphey much either and he's certainly not a left back. As for the midfield, the 2 sweaty socks were so so poor that even Karoy looked miles better when he came on! 

Yes the ref was useless and Blackpool were a horrible time wasting bunch of cheats but we really look poor as a team and I can't see us challenging for promotion with this squad.
    Louis Mendez suggested he isn't even injured
  • fenaddick said:
    Anyone know how long Mitchell is out for? Really missed him in defence - don't think REG won a single header all game. Don't rate Gillesphey much either and he's certainly not a left back. As for the midfield, the 2 sweaty socks were so so poor that even Karoy looked miles better when he came on! 

Louis Mendez suggested he isn't even injured
    Extremely odd if true
  • The ref was crap but im not falling into the trap of blaming him for the loss. We were awful in the first half and deservedly 2 down. We were better in the 2nd and though the constant play acting had an impact, we really didnt create a lot of clear cut chances to threaten getting something from the game. Their keeper had to make 1 maybe 2 big saves in the second half? We should have been battering that goal in the 12+ minutes of injury time.